• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron: "...we will provide resettlement for thousands more Syrian refugees. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

Population density in UK and Germany isn't that different (256 people per KM for the UK compared to 233 for Germany) the main issue is that most of the UK's population is crammed around London and the South East. There's only 40 people per KM in Scotland despite it making up 33% of the UK land mass for instance, while in England the density is around 400 per KM)

Will SNP allow that? or will they say England push us problem? If UK move most refugees (500K+) to Scotland.

I can't see that ever happening.

Yes, probably not anytime soon for Syria at least... :-(
But that's actually all the more reason to find solutions, because it's not a problem that is just gonna go away if we ignore it (or even donate money).

There's only 40 people per KM in Scotland despite it making up 33% of the UK land mass for instance, while in England the density is around 400 per KM)

Yeah, but isn't like half of Scotland just mountains? How much of the country is actually habitable?

It'd be chilly in the winter on Ben Nevis in a tent.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I agree with that the UK can take more. But France come out looking far worse in this given that France is the 2nd or 3rd largest country in Europe.

Size in km2:
France: 551,695
UK: 244,820
Germany: 357,050

Oh and Berlin: 891km2

What does size have to do with anything? It's not like smaller countries are struggling because of a lack of physical space to put the immigrants in. Just because we happen to have a lot of empty space here in Sweden that doesn't mean we can just chuck a million refugees into the woods and hope they manage. They actually need somewhere to live, optimally a job, etc. Houses and jobs don't just pop into existence. This "our country has a smaller area, so it's harder for us" argument is utter nonsense.

Beefy

Yes, probably not anytime soon for Syria at least... :-(
But that's actually all the more reason to find solutions, because it's not a problem that is just gonna go away if we ignore it (or even donate money).

I think we should all agree that the whole world should be doing more.

kmag

Yeah, but isn't like half of Scotland just mountains? How much of the country is actually habitable?

Pretty much, lots of empty space and small rural communities outwidth the central belt and the North East.

There's no real facilities in Scotland apart from some ex-military bases and some due to be condemned council high rises (I doubt either are in habitable condition at the minute). Sturgeon has pledged to take 10% which is slightly above Scotland's proportion of the UK's population (about 8.3%-8.4% give or take)

iceatcs

It'd be chilly in the winter on Ben Nevis in a tent.

Pretty much, lots of empty space and small rural communities outwidth the central belt and the North East.

There's no real facilities in Scotland. Sturgeon has pledged to take 10% which is slightly above Scotland's proportion of the UK's population (about 8.3%-8.4% give or take)

But they are refugees. They will live. Living on aids food.

Or is it not allow?

Beefy

What does size have to do with anything? It's not like smaller countries are struggling because of a lack of physical space to put the immigrants in. Just because we happen to have a lot of empty space here in Sweden that doesn't mean we can just chuck a million refugees into the woods and hope they manage. They actually need somewhere to live, optimally a job, etc. Houses and jobs don't just pop into existence. This "our country has a smaller area, so it's harder for us" argument is utter nonsense.

Where did I say it is harder for us? All I was saying is Germany and France can afford to take more refugees then UK. But UK can afford to take far more then around 10k. Oh and I didn't mention Sweden.

What are you talking about? How should and can Germany "do something about Syria"? And how are France and the UK doing more?

UK had votes in parliament on intervention and is significantly funding refugee camps and has staff in the region supporting them. The navy is in the Mediterranean trying to save lives. Honestly it would be nice to see some more journalists covering these camps instead of safely reporting only on the ones inside EU borders.

You do realize the 3 biggest citys of Germany have each taken the same amount or more refugees than the whole UK, right?

Take Hamburg for example:

Population 1.7 million
Density: 2,300/km2
Refugees accepted: 20k

I was really only responding to the population density thing. I see this whole UK and Germany are similar thing all the time, but really England (where most people in the UK actually live) is crowded by most European standards. The way people write on here, you'd think we only get to complain when we have the highest population density in the EU.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where did I say it is harder for us? All I was saying is Germany and France can afford to take more refugees then UK. But UK can afford to take far more then around 10k. Oh and I didn't mention Sweden.

You were talking about physical country size as if it were relevant to how many immigrants a given country can handle.

I was really only responding to the population density thing. I see this whole UK and Germany are similar thing all the time, but really England (where most people in the UK actually live) is crowded by most European standards. The way people write on here, you'd think we only get to complain when we have the highest population density in the EU.

"Crowded", lol. Yeah, you're more "crowded" than most other EU countries, but come on. A few thousand or even a hundred thousand more immigrants won't make any difference. Again, it's irrelevant unless we're talking about millions and millions of immigrants coming to the same country. And we're not.

UK had votes in parliament on intervention and is significantly funding refugee camps and has staff in the region supporting them. The navy is in the Mediterranean trying to save lives. Honestly it would be nice to see some more journalists covering these camps instead of safely reporting only on the ones inside EU borders.

Help local, bombing bad guys, give aids.
They probably are, but I don't have any numbers.

Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark is helping in the air forces. France is busy in Mali, together with a dozen or so other EU countries.

In any case, lots of countries can do more then they are doing now and probably should. I think we can all agree on that.

Nyx

This paragraph in particular is excellent because it articulates my exact sentiments. I just get so angry at anti-immigrant people because of the bolded.

If I post exactly that as a reaction on a news-article on refugees, I get tons of replies that are in general like : ''but there's thousands of IS terrorists that come with them'' or ''most of these refugees only come here for our wealth''

There's really no discussion possible with a lot of people, on the internet at least.

Beefy

You were talking about physical country size as if it were relevant to how many immigrants a given country can handle.
I was only comparing 3 countries. I didn't include the others as I don't know how many refugees they have taken, what their population is etc. That's why I didn't include places like Sweden etc etc.

Darkangel

The way I see it, just because Germany is going all out with the refugees doesn't mean the UK has to. If there's an EU law stating that they have no control over this, then I can see why so many Britons want to exit.

If Syria is indeed permanently fucked, then the future of the Syrian refugees should lay with the surrounding Gulf and Arab countries. They have the same religion, the same language, a similar culture and they're geographically close. The oil states should easily be able to pay for them, and the integration process would be fairly straight forward.

Nyx

The way I see it, just because Germany is going all out with the refugees doesn't mean the UK has to. If there's an EU law stating that they have no control over this, then I can see why so many Britons want to exit.

If Syria is indeed permanently fucked, then the future of the Syrian refugees should lay with the surrounding Gulf and Arab countries. They have the same religion, the same language, a similar culture and they're geographically close. The oil states should easily be able to pay for them, and the integration process would be fairly straight forward.

Lebanon already took in 1.2 million Syrian refugees.
That's more than the whole of Europe?

"Crowded", lol. Yeah, you're more "crowded" than most other EU countries, but come on. A few thousand or even a hundred thousand more immigrants won't make any difference. Again, it's irrelevant unless we're talking about millions and millions of immigrants coming to the same country. And we're not.

So, you're saying it will make a difference at some point in between "a hundred thousand" and "millions"?

Nyx

Just read some replies on the news that The Netherlands needs to take in an additional 7.000 refugees this year.

How many times I've read that ''Europe will burn soon'' due to it, my god...
Are a lot of people really THAT afraid?

Maledict

Agreed that's why i think it's a shame the whole UK and France have taken less refugees than the city of Berlin.

The UK has given more than the rest of Europe *combined* to support the refugee camps in Syria and neighbouring countries. Which is what the UN and charities in the area still feel is the best solution.

(I am all in favour of taking in refugees, just wanted to point out that it isn't like the UK is doing nothing here. It's spending very large amounts in different ways).

Tuffty

How many times I've read that ''Europe will burn soon'' due to it, my god...
Are a lot of people really THAT afraid?

I've actually seen this a lot in most comment threads about the issue and I still can't quite understand what they mean. Do people legitimately believe this is some kind of covert ISIS takeover across the EU?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was only comparing 3 countries. I didn't include the others as I don't know how many refugees they have taken, what their population is etc. That's why I didn't include places like Sweden etc etc.

Again, that wasn't even remotely my point. Forget about Sweden, my point was that physical area is not the limiting factor for any of the countries we're talking about. Much more relevant is population size.

So, you're saying it will make a difference at some point in between "a hundred thousand" and "millions"?

Eh, not really. The entire world's population could easily fit in England. Other factors are infinitely more relevant.

Nyx

I've actually seen this a lot in most comment threads about the issue and I still can't quite understand what they mean. Do people legitimately believe this is some kind of covert ISIS takeover across the EU?

In real life i don't know anybody that thinks like this but if i view replies on the biggest national newspaper website on an article on refugees it seems almost everybody else does.

I know the internet is full of hyperbole but sometimes it saddens me that so many people seem to be afraid of this.

Beefy

Again, that wasn't even remotely my point. Forget about Sweden, my point was that physical area is not the limiting factor for any of the countries we're talking about. Much more relevant is population size.

Which I corrected and did in a post after that one. At the end of the day all it comes down to is both France and Uk can do more.

Sanjay

Is this some kind of joke? 4/5k a year, wtf.

But we have given nearly 1 billion in aid money so there's that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, so I'm talking to a fucking space cadet. Good to know.

Yeeep! Well, no, lol, but it's hardly a controversial statement. It is easily possible. Would it be good? Probably not. Definitely not. But the point was just to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to argue that the UK's population density is in any way relevant when it comes to taking in a few thousand or tens of thousands of refugees. There's room for them. EASILY.

Which I corrected and did in a post after that one. At the end of the day all it comes down to is both France and Uk can do more.

Absolutely.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Whilst I agree with taking the refugees straight from the camps on the Syria border, 20k over 5 years is pitiful and not nearly enough

Tuffty

Fucking hell.

Terrible policy. Leaving aside the human element of it, it doesn't even make sense. Spend their formative years educating them and then suddenly kicking them out of the country at the point where they can pay back taxes and contribute to society?

reckless

Terrible policy. Leaving aside the human element of it, it doesn't even make sense. Spend their formative years educating them and then suddenly kicking them out of the country at the point where they can pay back taxes and contribute to society?

Yeah not only is it evil, its a really dumb policy.

@paddyashdown: Minister in the Lords just confirmed refugee orphans and children brought in under Cameron's scheme will be deported at age 18.

I have to confess this actually made me laugh. I was wondering what Cammy boy was playing at. When you consider Cameron and co have caused the death of thousands of their own citizens it seems pretty damn odd they have suddenly become all "compassionate" to those nasty evil foreigners.

About the only thing that could make this worse is if these orphans were to be housed in a Guest house conveniently near MP's and Parliament for erm.............. recreational reasons shall we say.

I never thought the Tories could come up with someone worse than Margaret Thatcher. But they really outdid themselves and created a three headed beast of complete cuntness in the form of Cameron, Osbourne and old IDS with Theresa bringing up the rear as an arsehole.

This is why I'm not completely convinced this is fact.

But when added to the 300,000+ other migrants Britain gets in a year, it does make a difference.

eot

Banned

"fuck 'em, not my problem"

There isn't an EU law btw, it's about taking responsibility for a humanitarian crisis they helped create and helping people in need.

Population density in UK and Germany isn't that different (256 people per KM for the UK compared to 233 for Germany) the main issue is that most of the UK's population is crammed around London and the South East. There's only 40 people per KM in Scotland despite it making up 33% of the UK land mass for instance, while in England the density is around 400 per KM)

Put all the refugees in the moutains. What a great idea. Maybe send a few to St Kilda too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom