• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron: "...we will provide resettlement for thousands more Syrian refugees. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
People wonder why a certain % of population are against immigration but I wonder what what happen if I, a Christian white male turned up on Syrias border had the roles been reversed?

Syrians are Caucasians, so they are technically white. And there are lots of Christian Syrians included in the total of Syrian refugees

Steve Jobs' father was Syrian (biological father)

T-Dot

Banned
Maha Kali
Banned
(Today, 05:39 PM)

giphy.gif

Lamel

Banned
Ha! The thought of some civilian speciously leering at anyone potentially from the mid-east on campus is hilarious. Or do you just ask nicely, like "Hi Muhammad, I've got my part of the group work complete, bring any bombs in today?"

Bahahahaha

Toxi

Banned
lol

Yes lets celebrate the continued dumbing down of Neogaf with the banning of smokeydave. Peak stupidity and conformity is near.

He was more astute, witty, and articulate than a hundred of you snarky try-hards.
Are you okay? Do you need a kleenex?

Cameron does like a good headline. Problem is knowing the Tories he'll probably get the money from single mothers, cutting nurses wages or forcing even more of the disabled back into work.

It's a nice gesture, but the Conservatives never do something "nice" just for the sake of it... there's always an ulterior motive. He's probably got a guilty conscience.

Cameron does like a good headline. Problem is knowing the Tories he'll probably get the money from single mothers, cutting nurses wages or forcing even more of the disabled back into work.

It's a nice gesture, but the Conservatives never do something "nice" just for the sake of it... there's always an ulterior motive. He's probably got a guilty conscience.

What does "nice" even mean when you're spending other people's money, though? Isn't that what charity is for? I don't want my government doing things that they, individually, think are "nice".

Beefy

Just saw on the news the UK have agreed to take 10k+ refugees from camps in Syria. France have agreed to take 25k over two years.

Xando

Just saw on the news the UK have agreed to take 10k+ refugees from camps in Syria. France have agreed to take 25k over two years.

To put these numbers in perspective:
German police said a record 14,000 people had arrived from Austria over the weekend by late afternoon on Sunday, the majority of them fleeing the civil war in Syria, and some 3,000 more were expected during the evening.
http://www.thelocal.de/20150907/over-10000-refugees-arrive-in-one-weekend

nib95

Banned
So, Dave, you have £900M to aid thousands upon thousands of refugees and migrants, but your own government do everything they can to ensure their own people don't get aid when they need it? Gotcha.

Dave and many Tories believe in a bootstraps philosophy. Eg, if you don't have so many helping hands, you will be forced to make it of your own accord. It's bollocks, because not everyone even has the same options, capacity, conducive environment etc, but it's more amusing that such an ideology is coming from an Eaton boy who would have had the equivalent of a platinum spoon his whole life, but I guess the difference here is there is no bootstraps option for the majority of these refugees. It's go back home where you have no home and face getting you and your family killed, or try and get in to some other place some other way and also face getting you and your family killed.

In any case, I'm glad we're taking in that many, but in all honesty we should be taking in more. If the government isn't willing to take in more, put it to the public. I'll take in a Syrian family in to my own home for a period of time. Or otherwise set up some sort of refugee camp and I'll happily donate money, food, clothes and whatever else.

Beefy

Agreed that's why i think it's a shame the whole UK and France have taken less refugees than the city of Berlin.

I agree with that the UK can take more. But France come out looking far worse in this given that France is the 2nd or 3rd largest country in Europe.

Size in km2:
France: 551,695
UK: 244,820
Germany: 357,050

Oh and Berlin: 891km2

iceatcs

In UK we don't have much spare land or abandoned buildings to cope something like 100K or more. Camping is not ideal in the winter. Otherwise UN will complaint about this condition.
There are 15K+ who on waiting more than one year for council housing from one place (South Bucks)

That's why it is small number compare to others. We could built a town like in the film "Child of Men" but it will likely lead to worst.

In UK we don't have much spare land or abandoned buildings to cope something like 100K or more.

That's why it is small number compare to others. We could built a town like in the film "Child of Men" but it will likely lead to worst.

UK has basically the same population density as Germany. They could easily find some space somewhere. But UK and France are prime examples of nations which talking big about humanity but when they are supposed to carry their package then everything is forgotten.

iceatcs

UK has basically the same population density as Germany. They could easily find some space somewhere. But UK and France are prime examples of nations which talking big about humanity but when they are supposed to carry their package then everything is forgotten.
UK seem totally full.
They could live in abandoned prison, warehouse or shop, but that's not allow for UN and UK, H&S standard.

So only way they could live is council housing but there are long queues from every councils

Xando

UK seem totally full.
They could live in abandoned prison, warehouse or shop, but that's not allow for UN and UK, H&S standard.

So only way they could live is council housing but there are long queues from every councils

Interesting enough these are some places where they live in germany. UN didn't mind to complain about it. Neither about some refugees living in tents or containers until there are in houses build.

UK seem totally full.

While Germany is basically wasteland with many empty towns which can easily take 800k refugees in just one year.

Also Germany is using empty DIY warehouses and similar buildings without problems.

I agree with that the UK can take more. But France come out looking far worse in this given that France is the 2nd or 3rd largest country in Europe.

Size in km2:
France: 551,695
UK: 244,820
Germany: 357,050

Oh and Berlin: 891km2
Country size has nothing to do with it. Population and GDP does.

UK seem totally full.

Same in other EU countries. We all have housing trouble.

iceatcs

Interesting enough these are some places where they live in germany. UN didn't mind to complain about it. Neither about some refugees living in tents or containers until there are in houses build.

While Germany is basically wasteland with many empty towns which can easily take 800k refugees in just one year.

Also Germany is using empty DIY warehouses and similar buildings without problems.

Not all Germany migrants have roof, most of them still living a tent.
If the housing too slow, I don't think they will happy to stay longer on German Red Cross camp.

I think to built 800K real free housing in 1 year is completely crazy. That why they still on camping or share building. So they allow this happen, but not for long term, but low long.

Xando

I think to built 800K real free housing in 1 year is completely crazy. That why they still on camping or share building. So they allow this happen, but not for long term, but low long.

Of course it's crazy but what are we supposed to do? Let them die in some refugee camp in hungary because then it's not our problem? Building houses takes time in the meantime the goverment is buying office space to make refugee homes.

iceatcs

Of course it's crazy but what are we supposed to do? Let them die in some refugee camp in hungary because then it's not our problem?

No one dying in the camp but it always poor condition no matter where. That's why we have riot problem in UK refugee camp in the past, because they want to moved on and get a real housing.

Free housing always slowest thing from all of the countries, so they have to wait just like everyone else. Stay camp and be safe.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty amazed at the German reaction right now and at some of the decisions from our (conservative) chancellor. That's the weird part under her rule, she's often taken more social/liberal/green steps than her opposition and while doing so, taken some of their voters with her and any meaningful topics away from them.
Europe as a whole is embarassing right now, they can't even find the tiniest bit of consensus. This whole crisis would barely be a problem with an EU system.

No one dying in the camp but it always poor condition no matter where. That's why we have riot problem in UK refugee camp in the past, because they want to moved on and get a real housing.

Free housing always slowest thing from all of the countries, so they have to wait just like everyone else. Stay camp and be safe.
Most people don't stay there for too long, but the situation is extreme right now, of course.

SMH at people saying that the UK is "full" - where the heck does that even come from? You suggest that refugees should rather stay in their bombed houses and destroyed cities than going to a rich country like the UK because it is "full"? You guys can't be serious!

If Munich, a city which population has been booming and where it has become close to impossible to find a flat, can take up thousands of refugees, I am sure the UK can do the same. I am fairly certain you will find the same amount of empty buildings and suitable spaces in different areas of the UK. Plus there are people offering their private rooms (and then receiving government renumeration), abandoned schools, hospitals, holiday apartments, unrented office space etc. It's about making an effort and setting your priorities straight. Everything is better than them dying in Syria and few EU countries taking up the bulk of the responsibility.

Oh and by the way: While the media has basically just now discovered this topic and there has been a sharp increase in refugee numbers, this problem was not unforeseeable at all. Refugee numbers have been rising for years now.

iceatcs

Most people don't stay there for too long, but the situation is extreme right now, of course.

I feel they might have to stay there for long time, if other neighbour counties don't help.
I could see there will be more wave before the winter, and much more will come on next year as everyone got time to get money for traffickers.

UK is full on real housing. And no way make it faster. 100K+ new real housing could take years.

100K can come, but likely to live camping (not that mean tents only, like abandoned building also called camping or centre)

Beefy

Country size has nothing to do with it. Population and GDP does.
Country size does if you add population to it. Added GDP as well.

Germany:
Country size: 357,168km2
Population: 81m
GDP: $3,413.5 (Billions)

France:
Country size: 551,695km2.
Population: 67m
GDP: $2,469.5

UK:
Country size: 244,820km2
Population: 65m
GDP: $2,853.4

Beefy

SMH at people saying that the UK is "full" - where the heck does that even come from? You suggest that refugees should rather stay in their bombed houses and destroyed cities than going to a rich country like the UK because it is "full"? You guys can't be serious!

If Munich, a city which population has been booming and where it has become close to impossible to find a flat, can take up thousands of refugees, I am sure the UK can do the same. I am fairly certain you will find the same amount of empty buildings and suitable spaces in different areas of the UK. Plus there are people offering their private rooms (and then receiving government renumeration), abandoned schools, hospitals, holiday apartments, unrented office space etc. It's about making an effort and setting your priorities straight. Everything is better than them dying in Syria and few EU countries taking up the bulk of the responsibility.

Oh and by the way: While the media has basically just how discovered this topic and there has been a sharp increase in refugee numbers, this problem was not unforeseeable at all. Refugee numbers have been rising for years now.

I can't see the UK Government giving money to families to take in refugees when they are cutting benefits yet again.

Germany:

France:

UK:
So the UK taking 20% less refugees then Germany seems fair enough then, don't you agree?

That said, I don't see taking in millions of people into the EU suddenly as a good solution also, but at this point, what can we do. Go into Syria, kill everyone who stands in the way and then occupy it for the next 20 years?

I'm glad the offer is only for people still in Syria and not those already within the EU. This way it is only for actual refugees, not economic migrants like the people already in Hungary, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Austria, etc.

Completely agree with this approach. Oddly a lot of people risk coming to Europe (across the waters) rather then seek refuge in another muslim country. The problem is IS, and how Russia supported Syria. If there was early intervention then this may not be an issue. Who knows, some of these people could be IS fighters. It's impossible to tell. Syria needs help. IS needs to be stopped. Will Europe be able to let in so many from Syria and Africa? The who economic thing is also very shakey. What will the economic migrants do interms of jobs and supporting their familes?

It's very sad indeed. Regardless of which side of the fence you sit. Pun not intended.

Xando

Germany:

France:

UK:

So going by your comparision the UK should take around 500k (2/3 of Germanys 800k) refugees this year instead of the 25k they have had until July?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/da...n-asylum-applications-for-every-one-to-the-uk

Naturally it's nonsense to say that the UK is full. But England has a very high population density and demographically it has a younger population than any major European nation. It's also perceived that our health care system is already under a lot of stress along with other service. There is room in Scotland and Wales to build new cities maybe but it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Beefy

Naturally it's nonsense to say that the UK is full. But England has a very high population density and demographically it has a younger population than any major European nation. It's also perceived that our health care system is already under a lot of stress along with other service.

I understand all this, but other regions in Europe have similarly high (or even higher) population densities and where in Europe do you really have a health care system which is not under serious strain? Definitely not here in Germany!

The thing is when other European countries - and especially large ones such as the UK, France and Spain would take up at least part of the responsibility which countries like Sweden, Austria or Germany are taking up, everybody would be benefitting if you're looking at the whole picture.

I can somewhat understand countries like Spain which are really in a bad situation economically, but that's not true for the UK at all. The UK is actually doing better than Germany and will for the foreseeable future continue to do so.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but I am really baffled by how little support Europe is showing regarding this whole crisis. There is zero solidarity. It's easy to portray Germany as the big hero (which the international media has been doing lately) but of course Merkel didn't really have any other choice.

iceatcs

I though poeple moving to EU for looking for long term, or completely moved on from their homeland.

I don't think they are temp staying, otherwise they wouldn't go too far.

I understand all this, but other regions in Europe have similarly high (or even higher) population densities and where in Europe do you really have a health care system which is not under serious strain? Definitely not here in Germany!

The thing is when other European countries - and especially large ones such as the UK, France and Spain would take up at least part of the responsibility which countries like Sweden, Austria or Germany are taking up, everybody would be benefitting if you're looking at the whole picture.

I can somewhat understand countries like Spain which are really in a bad situation economically, but that's not true for the UK at all. The UK is actually doing better than Germany and will for the foreseeable future continue to do so.

Hmm, well not really. I mean, England has a population density of 413 people per sq km. Only Malta, and tiny micro-states like San Marino and Monaco, are higher.

Hmm, well not really. I mean, England has a population density of 413 people per sq km. Only Malta, and tiny micro-states like San Marino and Monaco, are higher.

North Rhine-Westphalia, which as a German state of 18 million has taken in more refugees than all of the UK, let alone England (more than 80,000 so far this year alone), has a population density of 520/km2 for example. And that's still not even 0,5% of the total population.

I though poeple moving to EU for looking for long term, or completely moved on from their homeland.

I don't think they are temp staying, otherwise they wouldn't go too far.

If asylum seekers are granted refuge, they would have to return (or would likely also want to return home) if their country is considered safe again.

iceatcs

If asylum seekers are granted refuge, they would have to return (or would likely also want to return home) if their country is considered safe again.

Ah, I think it is best is Germany doing humanity more and UK/France doing warfare more. hehe.

But if every must equal then Germany need to do something about Syria and other countries.

Belgium and the Netherlands have a similar population density to England. Probably Germany has regions that have a similar population density I don't really understand the different regions and infrastructure especially with the situation with more rural areas and the former East.

Germany is often used an example in the UK of a health care system that doesn't suffer so much from lack of beds and huge waiting lists when people complain about the NHS.

But the main thing is that the UK does not have a demographic problem since the birth rate is quite high particularly due to the large number of migrant families in the UK boosting the numbers. Schools are having to deal with more growing student populations with lower budgets. Really the government austerity policies may be pushed past breaking point if they are not already. But maybe this is a good thing since it will cause a crisis for the Tory scum?

kmag

Population density in UK and Germany isn't that different (256 people per KM for the UK compared to 233 for Germany) the main issue is that most of the UK's population is crammed around London and the South East. There's only 40 people per KM in Scotland despite it making up 33% of the UK land mass for instance, while in England the density is around 400 per KM.

Unfortunately while there's plenty of room in Scotland there's not really the infrastructure to handle tens of thousands of refugees long term. There are a few ex-military bases in the UK which are in the process of being mothballed but lord only knows what state they're in. Most councils in the UK are already asking for volunteers to help home the Syrians.

Ah, I think it is best is Germany doing humanity more and UK/France doing warfare more. hehe.

But if every must equal then Germany need to do something about Syria and other countries.
What are you talking about? How should and can Germany "do something about Syria"? And how are France and the UK doing more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom