• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone creative director upset that Deacon is in Astro Bot

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
smh

At 36, I hope to god I never become like this person. He makes such a bad name for gaming and I wish the medium to progress beyond this. People like this make me ashamed to even have anything to do with the medium...

Attacking other studios cause they used a video game character? Imagine that is what your life has now boiled down to...

drganon

Days Gone is the best modern (PS4 and onward) in-house Sony game and first great open world narrative game. It managed to make an open world worth engaging in when so many have been nothing more than filler. It managed to advance Capcom's stagnant zombie formulas and make them intimidating again. Unfortunate that it's been reduced to nothing more than a reference in flash-in-the-pan Astroturf. He is more than justified in his outlook.
Found John's gaf account.

Elginer

To be fair it is bullshit that Sony pulls out the game for marketing like it is a big part of Sony yet abandoned the IP and said fuck it for who knows what GAAS bullshit its producing next. The game sold well on console and again on PC and they keep reminding fans of its existence only to say nah you are not getting a sequel. A sequel could have been amazing but Concord and Fairgames is more important.

simpatico

Gold Member
This guy sounds as salty as I am about the fate of Days Gone. I thought I was the only one. The extended universe could have gone so deep since they already tied it to Syphon Filter.

bender

What time is it?
The guy. His game is good.
meh-maybee.gif

JaksGhost

To be fair it is bullshit that Sony pulls out the game for marketing like it is a big part of Sony yet abandoned the IP and said fuck it for who knows what GAAS bullshit its producing next. The game sold well on console and again on PC and they keep reminding fans of its existence only to say nah you are not getting a sequel. A sequel could have been amazing but Concord and Fairgames is more important.
Bend management denied the sequel. The pitch never made it to the heads at PlayStation studios. This has been told time-and-time again yet you guys always go with your fan fic because it doesn't fit your narrative. And what does Concord and Fairgame$ have to do with Bend? I didn't know they were the developers of Days Gone.

He should be thankful Deacon is finally featured in a decent game and not only in his mediocre one 🤷‍♂️

Or that anyone even cares and remembers him.

Thief1987

What marketing? It's just an optional bot which you can find in the game, 90% of the players won't even notice who he is referencing.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It did not sell poorly at all. It sold quite well in fact. That's why he's so bitter about not getting a sequel greenlit.

My theory is that he is bitter because he got fired and he thinks if the game had been more financially viable and earlier, that Bend wouldn't have fired him so easily. As a result, he's bitter that the game that didn't save his job is being used to promote SIE products.

If the game was an 85 on metacritic and sold 8-10 million without the heavy discounting, Bend is probably more intrigued with a sequel and PROBABLY feels more tethered to him, but that isn't how the story went.

Instead, it was a 71 and didn't sell well initially. It's probably worse that neither he nor Bend were interested in bringing back Syphon Filter, meaning he really had no value at the company and was a toxic employee.

Bend is in a tricky situation and it's not super likely that they'll be able to survive their next game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It wasn't just woke reviewers. The game came out in a rough state. It's a great game now, but that doesn’t help review scores and the damage done by negative first impressions.
It was in a better state than any bethesda/ubisoft game at launch by a landslide, it was just not as polished as other sony open world games.

And look at the scores that trash like starfield or valhalla got anyway.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

it seems he's still super bitter about the game not getting a sequel despite selling well.
Didnt we have a thread yesterday where it turned out it was Bend's decision not to make a sequel?

Calling Astro Bot a small game is beyond dumb. Having your character be in that game should be an honor.
You're both right.

I don't think Astro Bot is a big title, but a very good one apparently and Days Gone in it should be considered an honor indeed, because Days Gone wasn't an iconic title.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I understand the salt from him.

Days gone clearly has potential, a days gone 2 could have been incredible after a post mortem of the first game.

Those who actually played it (you can always tell who just parrots an opinion vs who actually played it) can tell you that there is something special in the game, in the world, in the mechanics, they were just never truly realized. The game is visually stunning too and never gets the props it deserves for that.

A sequel with co-op, that goes straight into a realized open world and not 10 hr linear opening. A heavier focus on survival elements, And more of a focus on the hordes (especially with the cliff hanger post credit scene) could have really been something truly great in gaming.

The first game just really borked it's opening, you can see it's a game that was fiddled with too much in development. There are moments where clearly you were meant to make the decision as a player but they scrapped that mechanic near launch.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This dude is miserable. Every few months this guy makes headlines complaining about Sony or how he got shafted or whatever.

Imagine working with a guy like this.

midnightAI

I don't think Astro Bot is a big title, but a very good one apparently and Days Gone in it should be considered an honor indeed, because Days Gone wasn't an iconic title.
Depends on what you mean by big....
Is it big as in game size, length etc. no, not particularly
Is it big as in the importance to Sony, then yeh, very, bigger than Days Gone in that respect as it will hit a much wider audience. I think this game could even have an effect on the direction Sony takes going forward especially if it sells well as well as getting all the critical acclaim it (thoroughly) deserves. People were talking about Ratchet in the other thread about how its not cancelled and how its a 2030 game (according to the leaks), I have a feeling that could well be pushed forward a few years (I'd take a new well made Ratchet over any Marvel game they make personally, because, again, for me they are more fun with much less open world bloat).

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This fella is absolutely righteous, he'll never give up. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's because no one is hiring 64 year old toxic employees who don't add much value. He's not Miyamoto or Neil Druckman. He isn't a game designer, he's a writer, and a pretty average one at that.

He lost everything and there's no getting it back. You don't see Jeff Ross doing this stuff and he's at Crystal Dynamics now. It helps that he's an actual designer and 10 years younger and probably not as toxic.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I understand the salt from him.

Days gone clearly has potential, a days gone 2 could have been incredible after a post mortem of the first game.

Those who actually played it (you can always tell who just parrots an opinion vs who actually played it) can tell you that there is something special in the game, in the world, in the mechanics, they were just never truly realized. The game is visually stunning too and never gets the props it deserves for that.

A sequel with co-op, that goes straight into a realized open world and not 10 hr linear opening. A heavier focus on survival elements, And more of a focus on the hordes (especially with the cliff hanger post credit scene) could have really been something truly great in gaming.

The first game just really borked it's opening, you can see it's a game that was fiddled with too much in development. There are moments where clearly you were meant to make the decision as a player but they scrapped that mechanic near launch.
I always thought it was the best ue4 looking game of past gen, fuck gears 5 :lollipop_squinting:

Trilobit

I played Days Gone for maybe fifteen minutes before getting very bored, but I still think the director's emotions are valid. Creating something for many years tends to make you protective of it.

Ozzie666

Days gone former director needs to understand first impressions matter, so make sure you release your game in a great state to start with. The game was good after the patches, it turned into a fantastic game. I would argue there is no sequel because the studio went through development hell and released the game in a poor state.

Anyhow, Deek, people are way to harsh on this character. But nice he gets a cameo.

CherryFalls

Banned
Playstation kinda did him dirty, so i get hes bitter at them, but insulting astro bot aint it. Its a privilege they recognised your creation in the game

Killjoy-NL

Depends on what you mean by big....
Is it big as in game size, length etc. no, not particularly
Is it big as in the importance to Sony, then yeh, very, bigger than Days Gone in that respect as it will hit a much wider audience. I think this game could even have an effect on the direction Sony takes going forward especially if it sells well as well as getting all the critical acclaim it (thoroughly) deserves. People were talking about Ratchet in the other thread about how its not cancelled and how its a 2030 game (according to the leaks), I have a feeling that could well be pushed forward a few years (I'd take a new well made Ratchet over any Marvel game they make personally, because, again, for me they are more fun with much less open world bloat).
Good point.

I still think Astro Bot is a glorified tech-demo, but the praise it's receiving is undeniable. This will likely be the moment Astro will be established as a major IP for Playstation.

I think that Days Gone guy should be happy it's being recognized in the game.

Mownoc

"Since this title packs in much of PlayStation history, we worked closely with all the PlayStation Studios. When we shared our concept with the studio directors and game creators, their responses were overwhelmingly positive. I thought we could only feature around 50 characters out of the 150 characters we wanted to feature. But to our greatest surprise, the studios unanimously agreed to the cameo of all 150 characters. Apart from our PlayStation Studios, we were lucky to collaborate with third-party publishers." - Nicolas Doucet, Director of Astro Bot

Thankfully John Garvin isn't a rotten apple working at PlayStation anymore and literally every first party studio at PlayStation was supportive of Astro Bot and its cameos.

Preseznik

Neo Member
The game was a dull 6 or 7 out of 10. It sold poorly.

Fucking egotistical idiot.
Day's gone was far and away my favorite of that gen. One of the only games I 100% completed - ever.

I did play it at 60fps on my PS5 with all the problems long ironed out, granted, but I do that with most games for this exact reason.

Trunim

Hahhaha who gives a shit about his character. It's an action game character, get over yourself. If you're gonna be pretentious, go write a novel.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can we have one game get released without any stupid controversy behind it?

It just super fun platformer but no, people have to go to social media and rant about pointless shit.

Last edited:

Life Diff

Yeah, he should just let it go, fuck social media, do his own thing, etc. But, he's not doing that...
He's like a jilted lover, I listened to the sacred symbols+ episode where Colin talked with him and the other director / producer on days gone. That was years ago and he's still holding the grudge.

The reason there isn't a days gone 2 is because of him, Sony probably didn't want the hassle of his toxicity.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
He should be happy that Deacon is there at all, instead of fuming on social media like a baby whihc only helps in making him look like a fool.

Top Bottom