• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Not Getting A Sequel Was Studio Bends Decision, The Game Was Cancelled Internally Before A Pitch Could Ever Reach Sony

Draugoth

Gold Member

- Days Gone 2 not being made was a Studio Bend decision
- John blamed his game not selling well on discounts and uh "woke reviewers"
- Sony made him take anger management classes because of how he treated his staff (his own admission)
- He still harasses Studio Bend every now and then
- Bend repeatedly distances themselves from John
- He left Bend to write for some eneftee game that I can't tell what its fate is
- John is being really salty about a GOTY contender game making a tribute for his character, when he's at least partly to blame for the cancellation of said franchise

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The game was a last of us rip off,
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
What was the reason behind the studio not being ok with the sequel? This is what i want to know.

You guys ever notice how anyone that leaves Sony and talks about their experience there is publicly branded as "crazy?"
Don't think Shawn Layden has ever been branded as crazy. Doubt Jim Ryan will be either. The guy who took anger management classes well yes I guess he was branded as crazy. I like Jaffee but he's kind of a weird dude so I can see why people would call him crazy but I don't think he is.

Sethbacca

The game was a last of us rip off, we need an FPS adventure game like halo or killzone on ps5
Are you high? Days Gone and TLoU couldn't be more different. The only similarity is "zombies" and even then they're completely different genres of the beast.

And this dude being branded as crazy is the result of his own words. Sometimes you just let people talk and they sink their own ship. Who the hell would get outraged about a character they've created being recognized as an essential property and immortalized in such a fun game as this? Seems crazy to me.

Last edited:

Nydius

Who owns the studio and the IP?
A completely irrelevant question. Sony bosses can’t green light a project by one of their studios if the studio bosses never pitch it to them in the first place.

The excuse of “we didn’t bother because we were sure Sony would have said no” is weak as fuck and shows a complete lack of leadership by the team at Bend. If they thought it was worth a sequel they should have, at the bare minimum, presented it. Then fought for it if they felt strongly enough.

How’s that adage go?
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take?

tmlDan

You guys ever notice how anyone that leaves Sony and talks about their experience there is publicly branded as "crazy?"
There have been a ton of long time Sony people that left and are not crazy, Raf Grassetti was super popular and went to Netflix and he's normal/not branded negatively lol

Del Walker too, i guess most have positive experiences, but what do i know

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, the "woke reviewer" argument is 100% DEFENSIBLE.

The way its presented makes it seem way more reactionary than it actually is. A number of outlets did penalize the game for its perceived lack of towing the line to progressive attitudes and politics. This is not opinion, but fact. The wedding scene was treated out of context to make the game seem sexist and regressive, when it actually isn't.

People forget how keen a lot of people were, frankly here as well as in the media, to shit all over Days Gone pre-release.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m just thankful more resources weren’t wasted on a sequel. I’ve tried to play the first at least 3 different times. It’s just so dull.

dalyr95

It's a decent game. I enjoyed it, had it's flaws. But why he thinks it's the second coming of gaming jesus christ is beyond me. The horde was an interesting mechnaic but games like Serious Sam had similar, characters are pretty generic, story like wise, a slight riff of themes done before.

Woke reviewers was part of the problem though. He’s not wrong there. It released during the height of cancel culture and the IGN and Gamespot reviewer admitted to their low scoring collusion on Twitter. Complaining that it was a white guy, disgusted that it said ride me like you ride your bike, complained there were no freakers of color, etc.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don’t think that’s exclusive to ex-Sony. I think most ex-employees for any company tend to be bitter as fuck. I mean, they’re “ex” for a reason. And some take it personally. Probably most. And hell hath no fury like a little bitch scorned.

Killjoy-NL

But, but.... Ryan and Hulst....

Also, if they made Days Gone better, it would've sold better.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As for those of you who think Garvin is being unreasonably salty; how would you feel if what should have been the crowning achievement of your career was turned into a funeral pyre?

Most likely with no way back because he's (1) too old, (2) too opinionated about the wrong things, and, yes (3) probably too "white".

Because sadly, those things carry a lot more weight than talent when going to multinationals looking for tens of millions in multi-year funding.

Last edited:
This is reportedly not true. Sony rejected the pitch. It doesn't make sense for a studio to scrap a project that has sold 9 million copies and hinted a second part in the post-credit scene.

Anyway, both Sony and Bend will regret it when their next game inevitably flops. Then, the blame game will start and we will find out that both sides wanted Days Gone 2 all along.

Woke reviewers was part of the problem though. He’s not wrong there. It released during the height of cancel culture and the IGN and Gamespot reviewer admitted to their low scoring collusion on Twitter. Complaining that it was a white guy, disgusted that it said ride me like you ride your bike, complained there were no freakers of color, etc.
The game was released in a much worse state than it is right now. It deserved its reviews back then.

King Dazzar

I really liked it. I'd have liked to see the bike have deeper/better handling. But for a first go, I thought it was great. Personally I'd love to see a sequel.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t think that’s exclusive to ex-Sony. I think most ex-employees for any company tend to be bitter as fuck. I mean, they’re “ex” for a reason. And some take it personally. Probably most. And hell hath no fury like a little bitch scorned.
Yup.

Someone quitting on their own for a better job and pay is one situation. Maybe good words, maybe bad words. But often one sided when anyone is fired, pushed out, or forgotten and has to quit to save sanity.

ElFenomeno

I tried playing Days Gone some time ago, on Extra I think. Man, I just gave up after a few hours.
Bland, didn't do anything particularly great, shooting was meh, boring open world.
I was also fed up at that time with open world games so that didn't help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom