• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, you should be able to get through at about 190mph like that.

Thanks, it's really paying off.

When I can nail it I'm easily a couple of seconds faster per lap but the timing feels awkward and my Fanatec shifter is getting hammered.

Seeing a lot of players use chase cam, I haven't played like that since the Saturn, maybe where I'm going wrong.

Any impressions of it with the 360 wheel (not that new wireless thing, the original Microsoft one that is actually a steering wheel)?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GitarooMan said:
Any impressions of it with the 360 wheel (not that new wireless thing, the original Microsoft one that is actually a steering wheel)?

thats what i'm using and it feels as excellent as anything :)

try the trial if you are leary, you get 1:05 to race on all 3 tracks.

robot

Tyrael said:
Amazing race, I was the yellow car, Ignarius. :)

Still need to get the hang of that last turn to put a better competition.

I'm pretty sure I raced you this morning (8am EST) and beat you by a millisecond (beginner course).

Tizoc

Heh got all the trophies except the ones for Advanced and Expert tracks.
How do I properly handle the last turn before the checkpoint in Beginner?

Using manual gears you initiate a drift by dropping to 2nd gear and turning in, correct the angle then 3rd and back to 4th or if you are quick enough just 4th-2nd-4th and you won't lose speed.

Are all the other players supposed to be teleporting all over the fucking track in multiplayer?

I don't play online often and surprised to see this happening, maybe 10 years ago it was ok...not now though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
drugstore_cowboy said:
On the Advance course I lose too much speed on the uphill section between the end of the tunnel and the checkpoint - usually I brake, chuck it into 3rd, tap the brake again and turn to avoid slamming into the wall.

Everywhere else on the track I can pass or keep with with the best of them and it's pissing me off.

Any better ideas on how to tackle it?

Watching some videos it seems people are just going from 4-2-4 at the very start of the hill, pretty much like every corner then.

Ok. Don't use 4 - 2 - 4 and don't brake, especially if you're using manual. NEVER brake if you are using manual, there's no need to at all. Ok, there might be in expert but i'm pretty sure in advanced and beginner you just don't touch the pedal.

When you come out of the tunnel, you turn left and then into a right and there's the checkpoint, yea?

To do that corner correctly and at a top speed, You turn left then turn hard right usually in the middle of the corner, throw the gear into 1st and then straight back into 4th. You don't wait for the car to slide out or to line it up etc, As soon as you put it into first you put it back into 4th while turning all the way right.

Try that. It might take a few attempts to get the hang of it but it's the quickest way around that corner.

Shaneus

1UP only gave this 75%. Fuck them. It's worth AT LEAST 100% for attract mode alone.

Meanwhile, I'm grinning like a stupid idiot while I should be getting ready for work just watching the attract mode. BTW you can switch views during it just like in the arcade AND stop the slot machine with the back button.

And that credits screen and music... so many goosebumps.

op_ivy

Shaneus said:
1UP only gave this 75%. Fuck them. It's worth AT LEAST 100% for attract mode alone.

lol, cue page after page of bitching :p

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Shaneus said:

Meanwhile, I'm grinning like a stupid idiot while I should be getting ready for work just watching the attract mode. BTW you can switch views during it just like in the arcade AND stop the slot machine with the back button.

what they say? too linear?

robot

Trojan X said:
I've been playing this game ALL DAY. Its too Godly!

Been getting good feedback on the video too.

Plan on posting any more? I'm at work and cant play for another few hours.

Shaneus

DR3AM said:
what they say? too linear?
Check my edit. Reviewer is a dumbass.

If someone wants to make a 15 minute Youtube video of the attract mode on repeat (maybe interspersed with the odd credits screen) for me to watch at work today, I'd be so grateful :)

Tizoc said:
Heh got all the trophies except the ones for Advanced and Expert tracks.
How do I properly handle the last turn before the checkpoint in Beginner?
just tune your difficulty to very easy for a very easy trophy

let go gas, slam breaks, sharp turn, then gas up the drift

op_ivy

Shaneus said:
Really? REALLY?

i get what he is saying... i'd take the dreamcast CE if it handled like the arcade game. nothing wrong with arguably better then arcade graphics and more tracks.

Shaneus said:

I wouldn't worry about what F-UP says, I'm sure they wont be the only reviewers who don't 'get it'.

I have to admit I chuckled when I saw that Sega had included the 'rewind' feature, without that I expect it would have got below 60% ;)

Shaneus

op_ivy said:
i get what he is saying... i'd take the dreamcast CE if it handled like the arcade game. nothing wrong with arguably better then arcade graphics and more tracks.
He's not saying that, though. If they did a Halo Anniv-style graphics-switchable game, that would be awesome. But I think he's talking the entire game, including lack of original music and only the updated graphics. The original Gallop livery is what makes it.

Trojan X

Banned
robot said:
Plan on posting any more? I'm at work and cant play for another few hours.

Processing another one now. You'll LOVE this next race, it was again absolutely CRAZY!!!

However, given a choice, I'd much rather have a smoothed-over port of the Dreamcast version than an arcade reboot.

WTF?!?!!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?!!

Is that comment really that surprising though? In the PS1 days Sega arcade conversions to Saturn would get burned for offering only what the arcade machine offered and that was 15 years ago.

It stands to reason that this game was going to get reviewed terribly because of a lack of options. Nostalgia really isn't worth anything on a contemporary review score in light of where racers are in this day and age no matter what the price point is.

op_ivy

Shaneus said:
He's not saying that, though. If they did a Halo Anniv-style graphics-switchable game, that would be awesome. But I think he's talking the entire game, including lack of original music and only the updated graphics. The original Gallop livery is what makes it.

i wasnt talking about a halo anniversary graphics switch either.

i disagree with the reviewer ONLY because the dreamcast game controlled really badly compared to the arcade. but, it should be noted, most couldnt come to grips with the handling in the original saturn port either, so handling preferences are largely down to individual tastes. if he liked the handling in the dreamcast game then its a no brainer, that would be the better game to port.

Dave Long

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Is that comment really that surprising though? In the PS1 days Sega arcade conversions to Saturn would get burned for offering only what the arcade machine offered and that was 15 years ago.

It stands to reason that this game was going to get reviewed terribly because of a lack of options. Nostalgia really isn't worth anything on a contemporary review score in light of where racers are in this day and age no matter what the price point is.
That's because reviewers don't review gameplay and what they see in front of them anymore, but instead focus on how the game they're reviewing isn't like another one they expected to find.

Tizoc

gutter_trash said:
just tune your difficulty to very easy for a very easy trophy

let go gas, slam breaks, sharp turn, then gas up the drift
Thanks, just wanted to check on that turn \m/

1-D_FTW

Warm Machine said:

Sorry. Impossible to separate the two. A game selling for 50 dollars and a game selling for 10 dollars most certainly are judged differently.

Plus, you kind of glossed over that whole online bit. If the Saturn version would have been an arcade in your home where you could have played against 7 other people at any time, I doubt many people would have thought it wasn't worth 50 dollars. It would have been mad value.

Satchel

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I loved it.

It's weird not having the gear stick but you get over that quick enough.

edit. My baby girl came about 6 hours ago. Need some fucking sleep. She will be known as the Daytona baby.

op_ivy said:
thats what i'm using and it feels as excellent as anything :)

try the trial if you are leary, you get 1:05 to race on all 3 tracks.

Satchel said:
I loved it.

It's weird not having the gear stick but you get over that quick enough.
That's good to hear, I'm definitely picking it up tonight. Can't ever get enough DAYTONA.

Vorg

Banned
Trojan X said:
Processing another one now. You'll LOVE this next race, it was again absolutely CRAZY!!!

However, given a choice, I'd much rather have a smoothed-over port of the Dreamcast version than an arcade reboot.

WTF?!?!!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?!!

What's wrong with the Dreamcast version other than the wacky controls? I loved the tracks in that game. I wouldn't mind having that version with better controls over this one either. Nine tracks > three tracks. Also, better graphics.

Tizoc

Huh seems you don't have to finish Advanced or Expert in First place to get the trophies; just being first when the timer runs out will award them to you.
Gonna set most of the options to Arcade and play some more tomorrow.
Might play on Advanced from now on just to listen to that epic theme~

TheMan

Kind of excited for this but lots of hyperbole going on in this thread. GAF often gets wet for nostalgia...

acidspunk said:
What's wrong with the Dreamcast version other than the wacky controls? I loved the tracks in that game. I wouldn't mind having that version with better controls over this one either. Nine tracks > three tracks. Also, better graphics.

Dreamcast version is its own version, it doesnt play right.

racerx77

Banned
Better in some cases. Not in others. Some scenery is missing. And I HATE the shine on the car. Otherwise I liked the DC version alright

I remember being at the arcades back when the original Daytona USA was released and overhearing people talking about home consoles and how we would never experience something like this at home... it's really amazing how things have changed!

Get this game, people!

It's a pure old school adrenaline rushing arcade experience! Fun as hell!

Anyone playing this on PSN with a G27? Does it work well? If not I'm going to pick it up on XBLA.

EDIT: Looking back a couple pages looks like it works okay. I guess I'll double dip!

Sweeper17

Neo Member
It looks better than the DC version which was nice looking but kinda plain and missing little things like the Jeffery name on that course bugged me.

Shaneus

Quote said:
Anyone playing this on PSN with a G27? Does it work well? If not I'm going to pick it up on XBLA.

EDIT: Looking back a couple pages looks like it works okay. I guess I'll double dip!
I can't comment, but the fact that it works surprisingly well with the MS Speed Wheel means it should be even better still with anything else. Can't wait for Nov. when I can use my DFGT with it.

1-D_FTW said:
Sorry. Impossible to separate the two. A game selling for 50 dollars and a game selling for 10 dollars most certainly are judged differently.

Plus, you kind of glossed over that whole online bit. If the Saturn version would have been an arcade in your home where you could have played against 7 other people at any time, I doubt many people would have thought it wasn't worth 50 dollars. It would have been mad value.

I never said it was right. I just said that is what is done with these games.

Top Bottom