• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I'm curious to hear why everybody thinks of Civil War's domestic box office performance thus far. Only a 179 OW, while really good, many considered 200+ to be a lock.

At the moment it's only predicted to make 425 domestically. Down from 459 of Ultron and the 623 of Avengers. Seems like the first one was the outlier.

CW is being received much better than Ultron, and although it's a Cap movie in name, the marketing made it clear that it's an Avengers film.

Think it's superhero fatigue? I've seen the lackluster reception of BvS used as an excuse, as well as CW just being another hero vs hero fight. Could it be people have just grown tired of the Marvel formula?

Not trying to start a war, I think it's an interesting topic to discuss with so many more films on the way.

Quite frankly, when a movie like Civil War is poised to make $1.3 billion at the end of its run no one should be bringing up superhero fatigue or people being tired of the Marvel formula.

Should only be bringing it up when a movie heavily underperforms like BvS did.

IconGrist

Quite frankly, when a movie like Civil War is poised to make $1.3 billion at the end of its run no one should be bringing up superhero fatigue or people being tired of the Marvel formula.

I think a case for fatigue can be made if a movie is well-received but heavily underperforms. This was not the case for BvS.

Vyer

Yeah, what Icon said. Im not sure the whole fatigue thing is happening but I don't see the logic in stating a movie with poor reviews and general negative response is when to 'bring it up.'

hamchan

I think a case for fatigue can be made if a movie is well-received but heavily underperforms. This was not the case for BvS.

Yeah, what Icon said. Im not sure the whole fatigue thing is happening but I don't see the logic in stating a movie with poor reviews and general negative response is when to 'bring it up.'

You're right, I meant to say when a well-received Marvel movie underperforms like BvS did.

Vyer

You're right, I meant to say when a well-received Marvel movie underperforms like BvS did.

what was each movie expected to do? I don't really keep up with box office predictions.

Even then, I'm not really sure the correlation has to exist for such a discussion. If the domestic numbers are correct, it is somewhat interesting.

hamchan

what was each movie expected to do? I don't really keep up with box office predictions.

Even then, I'm not really sure the correlation has to exist for such a discussion. If the domestic numbers are correct, it is somewhat interesting.

The $180 OW of CW was expected by Disney. Some BO analysts did go a bit nuts with the $200m+ predictions yes, but it pretty much hit the expectations of the company.

The 2nd weekend drop of -59% is in line with the Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 drop.

Basically things are as expected for Civil War. Should end up between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 in terms of worldwide gross.

For BvS I think everyone expected it to do the numbers Civil War is currently doing but the drops were pretty massive due to WOM.

Vyer

The $180 OW of CW was expected by Disney. Some BO analysts did go a bit nuts with the $200m+ predictions yes, but it pretty much hit the expectations of the company.

The 2nd weekend drop of -59% is in line with the Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 drop.

Basically things are as expected for Civil War. Should end up between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 in terms of worldwide gross.

For BvS I think everyone expected it to do the numbers Civil War is currently doing but the drops were pretty massive due to WOM.

That's what was expected? That's interesting. Seems like rather low expectations considering this is basically the new avengers movie plus Spidey. Though I guess I'm surprised in some ways that they also expect Avengers movies to keep dropping domestically.

I keep kind of chalked Ultron's drop to the movie itself. Much like I expect BvS' drops were due in large part to its reception.

guek

Banned
It's one thing to dislike the movie or even outright hate it, I don't care about that, I'm sure I hate movies other people love too, but I don't go around making shit up.
Amen bruv.

That's what was expected? That's interesting. Seems like rather low expectations considering this is basically the new avengers movie plus Spidey. Though I guess I'm surprised in some ways that they also expect Avengers movies to keep dropping domestically.

I keep kind of chalked Ultron's drop to the movie itself. Much like I expect BvS' drops were due in large part to its reception.

Branding matters. Besides, Disney has a slew of marketing analysts working for them with access to untold amounts of data. The rumor has been their internal expectation was $1.2-1.3B and it looks like it'll get close to to that number.

Cipherr

I think you have to consider the films history. No matter what, its still a Cap film.

8LDYIeS.jpg

It may have a lot of Avengers in it, but prior to these films starting to gain steam, they had to settle for 350m - 800m box office takes in between Avengers films. It was only when there was an Avengers that they got to reap the big pull ins. But if they can begin breaking 1.2b on these films by the second or third entry, that shit HAS to be great.

Deadpool, GotG and SS I think are going to cement this. I don't think it matters anymore what studio is behind it, or if it's a Huge HUGE event team up movie or not. Just be good and people will show up and you will have a 750+ million take.

With that being the new baseline, I think superhero fatigue is a joke.

It's not superhero fatigue. Avengers and Iron Man are the biggest marvel brands. Cap isn't though this one propelled it by including the avengers. That's about it.

Justice League I think will do around 800+. I don't really see anything hitting the billion dollar mark out of dc until batman

I think Justice League does a billion minimum. I know everyone seems to have a consensus that BvS == JL boxoffice wise because it has 3 of the most popular people, and that CW == Avengers box office wise because it has so many Avengers, but I dont believe that. I still think the name matters. And by virtue of being literally called "Justice League" it will be above and beyond the solo films anyway.

guek

Banned
I think Justice League does a billion minimum. I know everyone seems to have a consensus that BvS == JL boxoffice wise because it has 3 of the most popular people, and that CW == Avengers box office wise because it has so many Avengers, but I dont believe that. I still think the name matters. And by virtue of being literally called "Justice League" it will be above and beyond the solo films anyway.

I dunno, I feel like Justice League's ceiling will be a billion instead of its floor if it happens to be received somewhere between BvS and MoS.

If it gets decent reviews, and with JL happening so soon after BvS I do think reviews will have an inordinately large impact, a billion is practically guaranteed. A good reception though is not, at least not with Snyder at the helm.

Deadpool, GotG and SS I think are going to cement this. I don't think it matters anymore what studio is behind it, or if it's a Huge HUGE event team up movie or not. Just be good and people will show up and you will have a 750+ million take.

It's definitely not as simple as that. You need marketing that's on point to a T, which is what Deadpool and GotG had in spades. I doubt that even if Dr. Strange was on the level quality-wise with both of those films that it would hit $750 million. Maybe $700 million given good marketing, and $600-650 if not.

Hard to say so early at this point, but BvS realllllly hurt the DC film brand. Excluding the factors of SS/WW and their critical reception, at this point people would look at Justice League, remember BvS, and mostly skip. Quality aside, it wasn't a fun superhero film that most families would prefer.

A lot of people have said this, and I think it rings true: the novelty is gone.

I always kind of laugh when people talk about Superhero fatigue as if there's some kind of inundation. People point to the fall of Westerns, but from the 30s to the 50s, around 20% of American produced movies were Westerns. Upwards of a hundred per year.

Not remotely comparable.

Cipherr

It's definitely not as simple as that. You need marketing that's on point to a T, which is what Deadpool and GotG had in spades.

I agree for Deadpool, and I still want to disagree for GoTG but reality smacked me hard and forces me to admit I was wrong about that one.

Someone who hasn't read the comics. So if there are references in these trailers, they are being handled badly for everyone who has no previous investment in these characters. I think the trailers have been very uninteresting and that it will hurt the movie. I have been wrong before though. But so far I am extremely unconvinced.

Its been pretty much strictly the people with knowledge of the comics that have convinced me to pay this any attention, had it not been for that I would have long been ignoring this movie by now. It has been presented awfully. I mean, I didn't care about Iron Man or Spiderman either, but the marketing for those films at least made me wonder.

I'm soooo convinced that this movie is going to crater like crazy.

I also think it has a good shot at just flat out being a bad movie that deserves to fail.

Not even WS is enough to get me to trust this flick man. The trailers are AWFUL. It just doesn't look interesting at all.

Guardians of the Galaxy gonna tank so haaaaaaaaaaaaard baby.

Public aint ready to go watch talking racoons and trees and shit. At least not the way GotG has been advertised. This shits gonna brick like crazy.

Got rekt when the eventual crow thread came around, but I still stand by my own personal tastes, I thought the trailers for Guardians were try hard as fuck. Just terrible. I don't know what everyone else saw in them that I didn't.

I still think that JL shakes off any reception of BvS now thats its been a few weeks since I have seen BvS. The taste always washes out eventually, and those terrible Thor movies didn't stop Avengers so I'm going to apply the same logic here. Especially since I expect Suicide Squad to please.

Vyer

Amen bruv.

Branding matters. Besides, Disney has a slew of marketing analysts working for them with access to untold amounts of data. The rumor has been their internal expectation was $1.2-1.3B and it looks like it'll get close to to that number.

I think you have to consider the films history. No matter what, its still a Cap film.

It may have a lot of Avengers in it, but prior to these films starting to gain steam, they had to settle for 350m - 800m box office takes in between Avengers films. It was only when there was an Avengers that they got to reap the big pull ins. But if they can begin breaking 1.2b on these films by the second or third entry, that shit HAS to be great.

With that being the new baseline, I think superhero fatigue is a joke.

I think Justice League does a billion minimum. I know everyone seems to have a consensus that BvS == JL boxoffice wise because it has 3 of the most popular people, and that CW == Avengers box office wise because it has so many Avengers, but I dont believe that. I still think the name matters. And by virtue of being literally called "Justice League" it will be above and beyond the solo film

I don't know. I think CW has enough to really differentiate it from the Cap movies before it. Especially when the marketing features so many Avengers and Spider-Man. Much like when you've got a Batman in your post MoS Superman movie, the stakes and expectations are a little different. Branding in terms of your title is one thing, but so is the branding you're doing with the characters you are showing the audience. I think all three of those other movies has something rather unique to them. Of course, if every Marvel movie from here on out is featuring multiple Avengers (and fairly prominently), then I suppose whatever the baseline is does shift as we aren't necessarily dealing with 'solo' superhero movies anymore.

Likewise I don't think there's that much of a guarantee in numbers just because Justice League is in the title. Hell I'd offer that's even less meaningful than actually using the names Batman and Superman to the mainstream audiences.

All that said, I also don't know that I buy into 'fatigue' yet. You may be right in that superhero movies have settled into that Disney/Pixar zone where certain levels of success are almost a given. It's all very interesting and will be a fascinating next few years.

Got rekt when the eventual crow thread came around, but I still stand by my own personal tastes, I thought the trailers for Guardians were try hard as fuck. Just terrible. I don't know what everyone else saw in them that I didn't.

I still think that JL shakes off any reception of BvS now thats its been a few weeks since I have seen BvS. The taste always washes out eventually, and those terrible Thor movies didn't stop Avengers so I'm going to apply the same logic here. Especially since I expect Suicide Squad to please.

lmfaooo you got destroyed bruh

Wb that Civil War 900 prediction tho haha

But yeah, I get where you're coming from but Thor wasn't nearly as crucial to the Avengers movies as BvS was. BvS was practically the entire set-up for JL, featuring the three biggest characters for the JL.

No one gives a shit about the Thor movies, lmao.

Ross61

Eh, I saw great positive reception from critics beforehand could help alot. And if its actually good I think it'll atleast hit a billion.

SS and WW will end up mattering more at this point. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. SS has to be good and WW just has to play it safe and JL will be fine if it reviews well.

a916

Also can we stop parroting that "can't believe WB didn't make 1 billi with these two, it was a lock"

No it wasn't a lock.

The fact they made 860-900M on the legs of a film that was savaged by critics and all is a testament of that brand. I have faith that if this movie had the reception of Civil War, it would've grossed just as much. So people shouldn't be saying "WB should've made a billi because it's a lock" but "WB should've made a better recieved movie"

I'm curious to hear why everybody thinks of Civil War's domestic box office performance thus far. Only a 179 OW, while really good, many considered 200+ to be a lock.

At the moment it's only predicted to make 425 domestically. Down from 459 of Ultron and the 623 of Avengers. Seems like the first one was the outlier.

CW is being received much better than Ultron, and although it's a Cap movie in name, the marketing made it clear that it's an Avengers film.

Think it's superhero fatigue? I've seen the lackluster reception of BvS used as an excuse, as well as CW just being another hero vs hero fight. Could it be people have just grown tired of the Marvel formula?

Not trying to start a war, I think it's an interesting topic to discuss with so many more films on the way.

I think people saw that Avengers movie do bonkers and now fully expect every movie to hit that water mark (which isn't fair at all). What if that's the market cap on these films? What if it was the appeal of that first build up? Who knows... it's not a disappointment and Disney was right to give conservative projections.

Disney does that, almost always. They are a very conservative when they give earnings estimates and even when it came to Force Awakens. They were very very conservative trying to keep the hype in check.

It's one thing to dislike the movie or even outright hate it, I don't care about that, I'm sure I hate movies other people love too, but I don't go around making shit up..

It's the internet... that's how stuff spreads. I keep walking into threads going "Well Snyder might get his wish about having Batman raped"

Ugh, that's not what he said, but it's being repeated like it's gospel truth.

I dunno, I feel like Justice League's ceiling will be a billion instead of its floor if it happens to be received somewhere between BvS and MoS.

If it gets decent reviews, and with JL happening so soon after BvS I do think reviews will have an inordinately large impact, a billion is practically guaranteed. A good reception though is not, at least not with Snyder at the helm.

I don't even think that's the ceiling if JL comes out with BVS reception. I might even guess lower. You had people tuning in for BVS, now you need to work to get those people back for JL. Work harder for those who didn't enjoy BVS and convince them that it's different this time.

I don't even think that's the ceiling if JL comes out with BVS reception. I might even guess lower. You had people tuning in for BVS, now you need to work to get those people back for JL. Work harder for those who didn't enjoy BVS and convince them that it's different this time.

JL with BvS reception would be lucky to do $800M in my opinion.

Cavill doesn't suck. The way his character is written sucks. Cavill is a great guy, and I think with his death he can be happy again when he's back. That is my hope.

is it a guarantee by the way that Batman will meet with the suicide Squad in the movie? my takeaway from everything is that Batman is involved in some sort of flashback and not the present story line.

vio

I think after Christopher Nolan`s Batman trilogy, expectations are just higher for DC movies. It doesn`t help either that they trying to emulate his storytelling style with both MOS and BvS, and they are failing at it.

is it a guarantee by the way that Batman will meet with the suicide Squad in the movie? my takeaway from everything is that Batman is involved in some sort of flashback and not the present story line.

nah. that's 50/50 on him meeting them in the present. though bruce wayne was spotted on set too and i don't really see any room for him in flashbacks, just batman.

either way though joker is all but guaranteed in batman, maybe they'll throw a suicide squad villain in there too for him to squash for a minute.

vio

Animated movie had quite a lot of batman, but trailers for the movie don`t give that impression at all.

Cavill doesn't suck. The way his character is written sucks. Cavill is a great guy, and I think with his death he can be happy again when he's back. That is my hope.

People don't give a shit, hell most of the memes are aimed at Ben or Cavill instead of Snyder, when they both did good in the movie. People here really are just asses, even going so far as to attack someone over their looks.

Effect

IconGrist

So ScreenRant has an article detailing Darkseid's family history.

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-villain-darkseid-explained/

In it they suggest that the alien we see in the Communion clip isn't actually Steppenwolf but perhaps Yuga Khan. Darkseid's father and Steppenwolf's brother. Looking at an image of him it does look more like Yuga Khan due to the armor and helmet.

Steppenwolf is below in how he's shown in the New 52.

Could go either way honestly.

Rooster12

On the earlier Suicide Squad talk, I'm all for a fun film but my hope is they don't suger coat how these are bad people. Humanizing and making them relatable is fine, so long as it's clear, you know, Deadshot kills people for money. And the Harley/Joker relationship is the toughest to balance.

Should have been rated R.

And Will Smith isn't gonna play some mercenary killer, he plays safe characters

Ahasverus

Darkseid would be 100% more interesting if they play him up like a revengeful prince instead of a typical evil conqueror. Let that for his father, fridge him build from there.

Magwik

Banned
Darkseid would be 100% more interesting if they play him up like a revengeful prince instead of a typical evil conqueror. Let that for his father, fridge him build from there.
Nah I just want him to be an evil dick and spout nonsense about the anti-life equation.

But that really isn't his character in the comics. Since the original New Gods books from Kirby, Darkseid has been portrayed as a literal god of evil / oppression and contrasted with the love and freedom of Highfather. Basing his character around revenge ignores what makes the New Gods unique.

Ahasverus

That's what Ocean Master is for.

But that really isn't his character in the comics. Since the original New Gods books from Kirby, Darkseid has been portrayed as a literal god of evil / oppression and contrasted with the love and freedom of Highfather. Basing his character around revenge ignores what makes the New Gods unique.

Nah I just want him to be an evil dick and spout nonsense about the anti-life equation.
Doesn't he has an origin story when he was manipulated into evil? Or was that Thanos? Lol

shingi70

Banned
Looking at the current rumors from Farcai and El Maybie, wouldn't the communion scene could be a prerecorded message from the first conflict on earth.

tim1138

Doesn't he has an origin story when he was manipulated into evil? Or was that Thanos? Lol

Nope. His original origin had him murdering his brother and claiming the Omega Force en route to becoming God of Evil and ruler of Apokolips. In the N52 they upped the ante and had him claim his power through deicide.
Either way he is evil through and through and always has been.

Tabby

If they depicted him like a typical evil conqueror I feel like he'd just be compared to Thanos and if you change him then it's not really Darkseid.

Easiest way around it is to just use someone else.

It's true, the biggest mistake they could make with Darkseid is making him into another typical alien conqueror type. He's not. He's the God of Evil and Tyranny. Play that shit up.

guek

Banned
It's true, the biggest mistake they could make with Darkseid is making him into another typical alien conqueror type. He's not. He's the God of Evil and Tyranny. Play that shit up.

We're talking about Snyder, he probably gets rock hard just thinking about the New Gods :p

IconGrist

Snyder makes Superman seem so detached from humanity by emphasizing his godlike power. Darkseid is a few levels above that so there's no way he comes across like a generic villain. I think Snyder's visual eye may have met the one character he may not be able to properly get across the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom