• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

It's true, the biggest mistake they could make with Darkseid is making him into another typical alien conqueror type. He's not. He's the God of Evil and Tyranny. Play that shit up.

He's already being prophesied as the devil or a demon. It's a good start to making him deeper.

Ugh, I really hope they don't depict Darkseid as Space Satan. His name alone is already as subtle as a sledgehammer. I just want him to be a ruthless alien conqueror interested in the greater secrets of the universe, the 'biblical undertones' (which are bound to be ham-fisted knowing Snyder) and 'apocalyptic arrival' make him sound way cornier.

guek

Banned
Just wait until Darkseid rapes Superman.

Nothing can stop Snyder. Nothing!

You joke but a "mind rape" scene that forces Superman to turn rogue wouldn't surprise me at all.

Ugh, I really hope they don't depict Darkseid as Space Satan. His name alone is already as subtle as a sledgehammer. I just want him to be a ruthless alien conqueror interested in the greater secrets of the universe, the 'biblical undertones' (which are bound to be ham-fisted knowing Snyder) and 'apocalyptic arrival' make him sound way cornier.

What gets to me about the whole nightmare sequence and hints at prophetic apocalypse brought on by Darkseid is...why Earth? What's so special about our little ball of dirt? Hopefully they'll give some real explanations in the future for why a space-god would be interested in taking over our backwater planet. At least with Thanos, we can blame Odin for hiding the tesseract on Earth. That douche.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You joke but a "mind rape" scene that forces Superman to turn rogue wouldn't surprise me at all.

What gets to me about the whole nightmare sequence and hints at prophetic apocalypse brought on by Darkseid is...why Earth? What's so special about our little ball of dirt? Hopefully they'll give some real explanations in the future for why a space-god would be interested in taking over our backwater planet. At least with Thanos, we can blame Odin for hiding the tesseract on Earth. That douche.

Same reason Beerus has an interest in Earth; the food!

Or Darkseid just wants to get laid, those space aliens aren't really attractive. We have Ana de Armas, what do they have?

tim1138

Darkseid believes the formula for the Anti-Life Equation is buried in man's subconscious

IconGrist

These mobile ads are super annoying. I've clicked on one three times when I go for the reply button and the ad pops up in its place instead, knocking the menu down below it. It also stops your scroll. You have to swipe again to get past it.

Nahhhhhh

Darkseid should make Space Satan look like a pussy. Take everything to 11. He is not interested in conquest for the sake of power; what is more power to a being who is already nigh on almighty? Darkseid's interest is in suffering. The Anti-Life equation is the best way t do that, and is believed to reside in the minds of sentient beings, so Darkseid sets out to subjugate the universe in search of it. Earth isn't special, it's just one more roadbump.

All too often these villains are rendered... small. They need to be comprehensible or sympathetic. With Darkseid, I don't want to see any of that shit.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
707.jpg

We need more Martha's in this universe, seriously....

If you look at Final Crisis, Morrison specifically describes Darkseid as a demon god. You can't get totally away from the devil concept. To get his character right, Darkseid can't be torturing kittens and twirling his mustache. He has to be completely focused on destroying free will and bringing everything under his control. Its pure evil, but a specific kind of evil.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Batfleck will be in every DC movie from now on, just watch. I'll bet he is in WW too.
not like that, you pervs...although it would be hot

Boke1879

Eh

I feel like Harley has developed so far away from the Bat that it could work

And who cares if it gets me a Gotham City Sirens or Birds of Prey movie

Or Sirens vs the Birds!

Yea I feel like she's already such a huge draw for SS among fans at least. If she knocks it out of the park and this movie is a good success it'll no doubt give her steam for a solo movie.

The thing about DC and Batman more notably is you can draw so much from one source. I don't know where the solo Batman films will go as far as story, but at some point you can spinoff movies for the Batfamily.

tim1138

Boke1879

As I said before. If BvS had to be the sacrificial lamb to get this universe kicked off and given the proper care then I'm all for it. It seems like some good ideas are about to be spawned out of this. It just needs the right people now.

obviously you'll have the main events, the JL movies, WW, Flash, Aquaman etc being the connected movies.

But something like SS could very well spawn it's own thing and we're likely seeing that with this Harley movie.

Boke1879

Olga Kurylenko as Talia Al Ghul?

Anyways, it's interesting to hear that Robbie is the one spearheading the project. She must be really happy with Suicide Squad. This is a sign right?

Yea I thought that was the most interesting bit. That she researched the character and just loved everything about the DC women. I know in the past she said she loved playing the character of Harley and wanted to do it again. So I'm assuming the talks have been happening for a while.

It was always going to be a Batman focused universe. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

As for the project, it could be interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up because it feels like a project that will be slated years down the line with the possibility of being canned at any point. I honestly don't trust anything on the DC slate outside of JL, Batman, Aquaman, SS 2, Flash, and GL Corps.

Boke1879

It was always going to be a Batman focused universe. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

As for the project, it could be interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up because it feels like a project that will be slated years down the line with the possibility of being canned at any point. I honestly don't trust anything on the DC slate outside of JL, Batman, Aquaman, SS 2, Flash, and GL Corps.

Out of everything on that list I wouldn't trust the GL Corps. Harley will no doubt be huge in SS. She already is. and if SS gets a sequel I don't see why she wouldn't get her own movie based on this news.

You're right I could see it being further down the line just because there is so much to get through as is. But I'm assuming she'd have a cameo in the Batman solo film and then they'd launch this movie after that.

It's true, the biggest mistake they could make with Darkseid is making him into another typical alien conqueror type. He's not. He's the God of Evil and Tyranny. Play that shit up.

This is why JL won't break 1b

Effect

What rumors?

That Black Canary was being looked to be in Justice League. They started way before BvS even came out though. That WB was looking to add more female characters to the films in staring roles.

I think around the same time were were hearing noise about Mera being in Justice League as well as the Aquaman film. With the possibility that she may or may not be a member of the JL instead of just being Aquaman's love interest. Sometime after that the casting of Amber Herd as Mera was announced.

A Gotham City Sirens film or a Birds of Prey film would be great. I still think something closer to Bombshells could open up the roster of characters more. Or a combination of all them and not simply limiting to those on the Batman side of things. Would love to see a film with Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Vixen, Stargirl, Catwoman, Ivy, Raven, Bumblebee, etc all playing a role.

ryan299

That Black Canary was being looked to be in Justice League. They started way before BvS even came out though. That WB was looking to add more female characters to the films in staring roles.

I think around the same time were were hearing noise about Mera being in Justice League as well as the Aquaman film. With the possibility that she may or may not be a member of the JL instead of just being Aquaman's love interest. Sometime after that the casting of Amber Herd as Mera was announced.

A Gotham City Sirens film or a Birds of Prey film would be great. I still think something closer to Bombshells could open up the roster of characters more. Or a combination of all them and not simply limiting to those on the Batman side of things. Would love to see a film with Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Vixen, Stargirl, Catwoman, Ivy, Raven, Bumblebee, etc all playing a role.

I think her
exit from Arrow
is telling also.

Effect

I think her
exit from Arrow
is telling also.

Possibly. It was said that wasn't suppose to be happening. At least WB studios weren't demanding characters be killed off or removed. The Suicide Squad issue on Arrow last season was suppose to be the last time that happen. TV is suppose to be allowed to use whoever they want within reason. So if true then what happen there was completely up to the show runners. They admitted what they did to their version of Waller was completely their decision and they got no instructions. In fact having her around would have been a positive for the film I think. If not then okay. As much as I enjoyed the actress the character would shine more in film and be given the status she deserves.

Edit:

The interesting thing about Harley is while she started as a Batman characters she's moved beyond that and I don't think she can be officially considered part of the Batman side of DC anymore. She's more over an overall DC universe character. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't her comics not even under the Batman editors but instead those that cover the Justice League titles, Green Arrow, Aquaman, etc?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
She's shot in popularity like Deadpool in recent years, this is somewhat of a no brainer to do, but not sure how this ties into the DCEU and the larger narrative. Hope it's not JUST Harley though, get some birds of prey in there or even Poison Ivy.

Pull a Korra and make Harley a gay character. Then cast Ana de Armas as Poison Ivy.

I'm full of good ideas, WB should hire me.

"Not muh Darkseid" think pieces coming in hot like

giphy.gif

We already have it with the fucking Joker...how he should behave and what he would and would not do, what he is actually really about and how they don't get it. That shit will happen for sure.

Boke1879

She's shot in popularity like Deadpool in recent years, this is somewhat of a no brainer to do, but not sure how this ties into the DCEU and the larger narrative. Hope it's not JUST Harley though, get some birds of prey in there or even Poison Ivy.

It won't be just a Harley movie there will be more. I think they mention Harley prominently because Margot kinda was the driving force behind this.

That said I don't think it really has to tie into the DCEU so much. If anything it'll tie more into SS and the Batman solo films. I mean I doubt SS is going to tie into the whole JL arc in any meaningful way.

If we can get cool movies out of all of this. I'm game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Or maybe the problem is with Snyder's interpretation? The problem with Returns wasn't Superman's character, it was just a boring movie.

Superman Returns' Superman was a creepy stalker, dude was pretty messed up in the head.

Or maybe the problem is with Snyder's interpretation? The problem with Returns wasn't Superman's character, it was just a boring movie.

It's not Snyder's interpretation, if it was we wouldn't have weekly MoS threads. The fanbase itself is the problem.

Boring isn't Return's problem. The problem with Returns Superman, and by extension Donner Superman, is that he's a creepy Sociopath, that will mind rape and kill people at his leisure, but is forgiven because he smiles and quips, and his enemies will take the time to not terrorize the populace while Superman saves people.

a916

It says alot to me that were Talking Booster Gold and Harley, yet nothing of a new Man of Steel movie.

It's also damning that we're hearing about all this and NOT the god damn Shazam movie... you have the most charismatic actor in the world and you're having him sit on the sidelines.

We already have it with the fucking Joker...how he should behave and what he would and would not do, what he is actually really about and how they don't get it. That shit will happen for sure.

lmao the worst were the people saying the most stupid shit like "joker would NEVER sit still in a chair for a tattoo"

the geek entitlement was incredibly high with that joker picture announcement. all kinds of weird assumptions.

Superman's character in Returns was definitely a problem for me. Holy shit I hated that Superman, lol.

Superman Returns' Superman was a creepy stalker, dude was pretty messed up in the head.

still knows how to talk to human beings though without scaring them off unlike the snyder version haha.

I think people don't like the Snyder version because it hits too close to home. People want escapism and he's not giving it to you with Superman. People know deep down inside, that's exactly what the world would look like if someone like Superman showed up tomorrow, if not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom