• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they're just... not that good?

Save us Nolan!

H1yCNVn.jpg

nothing is objectively good, or bad for that matter

Ross61

I talked about this before but WB puts the most effort in Batman. They just haven't done the same for the rest of their DC properties. It may seem that way with the DCEU and these high budgets but the second Batman gets introduced they push Superman to the side. He got killed in his second appearance after very little build just so Batman would be the JL front runner (which is normally Superman, Batman is normally the last to join).

I don't think the critics want the DCEU to fail. It's almost like WB is sabotaging themselves. The second something doesn't work they throw more Batman at you because it's the only thing that's worked for them up to this point since the Nolan movies. They just don't grasp that their entire DC line needs the same care they give Batman.
Eh, I mean when DC tries to give it's best resources to its lower known characters it still doesn't help sometimes. And I'd argue the changes made since BvS has shown that WB are trying their best to show other properties love too.

Dierce

Let's not go start blaming critics now.
Because DC movies have their share of Problems. There's no need to blame critics, I've seen legitimate complaints
There are definitely legitimate complaints but there are always those critics who tell their readers to just wait for the next Marvel movie. So in their minds these movies might not be judged completely on its own merits but rather by comparing it to what Marvel has done.
I talked about this before but WB puts the most effort in Batman. They just haven't done the same for the rest of their DC properties. It may seem that way with the DCEU and these high budgets but the second Batman gets introduced they push Superman to the side. He got killed in his second appearance after very little build just so Batman would be the JL front runner (which is normally Superman, Batman is normally the last to join).

I don't think the critics want the DCEU to fail. It's almost like WB is sabotaging themselves. The second something doesn't work they throw more Batman at you because it's the only thing that's worked for them up to this point since the Nolan movies. They just don't grasp that their entire DC line needs the same care they give Batman.
Good assessment but I think in the end what happens is that WB's filmmaker-driven approach does not resonate well with movies that take place in a wider world.

duckroll

Good assessment but I think in the end what happens is that WB's filmmaker-driven approach does not resonate well with movies that take place in a wider world.

I think that's nonsense as a generalization because Nolan's Batman films were very well received, up until X-men Apocalypse Singer's X-men films were well liked, and Deadpool did really well. These are all filmmaker-driven films which don't play in Marvel's yard. DC movies that get terrible reviews are.... Snyder films and Green Lantern. Not sure if it's worth trying to build a conspiracy theory or have a persecution complex over those.

wonder Women to Appear in Dunkirk. Plot twist right there.

THAT WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG!!!!

There are definitely legitimate complaints but there are always those critics who tell their readers to just wait for the next Marvel movie. So in their minds these movies might not be judged completely on its own merits but rather by comparing it to what Marvel has done.

What movies then? They've had Only Man of Steel which wasn't really compare to Marvel as much and BvS, which was a little incoherent mess. Right now, it's Marval vs DC because Marvel got the genre in their hands. Nolan were far different films which is why they never compare the two. To be honest I'm not really seeing the "Wait for Marvel" reviews. Then again I only read reviews to people I trust

They clearly aren't, but neither they are this cancer or dumpster fire stuff many seem to tout.
That's more of the fans talking then critics.

Then again how are we judging critics? I usually refer to professionals like fhe style of Egbert. I don't count you tubers or fan sites.

I think Snyder needs to get away from the capes and cowls after Justice League. Go do a drama or something. He was set to do that before he landed Man of Steel.

duckroll

They clearly aren't, but neither they are this cancer or dumpster fire stuff many seem to tout.

There's where the persecution complex is coming from. You like something, you read a few vocal haters online doubling down because the reviews are bad, and you think that's what "everyone" feels and you don't understand. The truth is that they're just films which aren't well liked in general because they have problems, and so most people don't care to bother defending them. Yes there are those who go out of their way shit on the films because they have an agenda, but that's true for ANYTHING.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with liking something that is considered very flawed if you get some enjoyment out of it. Trust me, I'm a Michael Bay Transformers fan. You can learn from me. There's no need to be bitter, because they still make what I want to watch no matter what the critics say. :)

Ahasverus

In the end, there's nothing wrong with liking something that is considered very flawed if you get some enjoyment out of it. Trust me, I'm a Michael Bay Transformers fan. You can learn from me. There's no need to be bitter, because they still make what I want to watch no matter what the critics say. :)
BvS has a lower Rt score than The Room.. I mean.. yeah.. I get your point but, at least that movie, it was something else.

At this point, there is literally no point in listening to anyone about this films quality before the embargo

Its just, there is no point, Im going to stop, its futile

duckroll

I sincerely apologize for making yet another terrible change to the thread title. I can't help myself. :(

That does look like a shot from some perfume ad.

Well we all agree that Snyder is really good at shooting commercials right? I mean, that's why the trailers for his films are the best part!

Dierce

I think that's nonsense as a generalization because Nolan's Batman films were very well received, up until X-men Apocalypse Singer's X-men films were well liked, and Deadpool did really well. These are all filmmaker-driven films which don't play in Marvel's yard. DC movies that get terrible reviews are.... Snyder films and Green Lantern. Not sure if it's worth trying to build a conspiracy theory or have a persecution complex over those.

THAT WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG!!!!
Fair enough but there were also other DC/Vertigo filmmaker driven films like Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Jonah Hex and lets not forget Catwoman. Of these films the only one that got any positive critic reception is V for Vendetta. So it isn't impossible to make a film that is well received by going the filmmaker approach but it is much harder and inconsistent.

I also agree, there is no conspiracy against DC because nobody gains anything from it. I just think that Marvel has done such a great job at building a brand and I have nothing again it but I feel that this brand is then used by some to compare other properties of the same nature unfairly.

I sincerely apologize for making yet another terrible change to the thread title. I can't help myself. :(

Well we all agree that Snyder is really good at shooting commercials right? I mean, that's why the trailers for his films are the best part!

you're right.

he's good at money shots.

IconGrist

Snyder needs a good writer. Someone that gels with him the way Fong does with his visuals. We'll see how JL turns out since that's done solely by Terrio without Goyer.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
That does look like a shot from some perfume ad.

I now want an Aquaman perfume.

No love for the women, why no ladies in the title? duckroll hates women confirmed. Get out of here!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Snyder needs a good writer. Someone that gels with him the way Fong does with his visuals. We'll see how JL turns out since that's done solely by Terrio without Goyer.

Snyder needs a Nolan script.

duckroll

Fair enough but there were also other DC/Vertigo filmmaker driven films like Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Jonah Hex and lets not forget Catwoman. Of these films the only one that got any positive critic reception is V for Vendetta. So it isn't impossible to make a film that is well received by going the filmmaker approach but it is much harder and inconsistent.

But those movies are mostly... not good. I mean I don't think people would see Jonah Hex and Catwoman as movies which are poorly received because they allowed the director to exercise his vision. They were poorly received because they were cheapass cash in films which clearly no one making it cared much for. What can you do? Lol.

Ross61

Would it be too much to ask for us to be rational and wait for actual reviews on Tuesday. Cause a whole lot of different "buzz" is gonna come from between now and then, and we still won't have a clear picture until then.

duckroll

Ahh I see. Get the Nolan brothers to write instead of directing. That's one way to not copy Marvel.

Nolan's too busy writing shit he actually wants to direct. And his brother is too busy trying to break out with a HBO hit series. Neither of them have time to waste on comic books anymore! Your savior will have to be... David Goyer!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Nolan's too busy writing shit he actually wants to direct. And his brother is too busy trying to break out with a HBO hit series. Neither of them have time to waste on comic books anymore! Your savior will have to be... David Goyer!

I for one welcome (back) our Lord and Saviour.

I'd like to see a Jonathan Nolan script directed by Snyder just to see what it becomes. It doesn't have to be a comic book movie. Just something they collaborate on.

Ahh yes, let's waste our time with the less talented brother.

Christopher Nolan is never returning to these three-a-year assembly line comic book films. Better accept it now.

I love Nolan and his films, but he's bound to fall at some point and to get his $200M carte blanche status back, he's gonna have to dip his toes back into the superhero pool.

guek

Banned
I know I'm biased because I enjoy the MCU so much but at this point, I firmly believe that the best way to make a cinematic comicbook universe is to have it be producer driven. Feige is what makes the MCU possible.

I don't think that means though that all cinematic universes have to model themselves after the MCU method exactly. It could be very different and stand to be more varied compared to the MCU which recycles a lot of the same ideas between multiple movies.

Christopher Nolan is never returning to these three-a-year assembly line comic book films. Better accept it now.
I know he isn't. I just like to joke around because he kinda Kickstarter the DC universe

Edit: I like to add how quotable Nolans DC films are for these types of situations. Best part about the meltdowns or praises

Ahasverus

The problem are the executives. There was buzz about Ayer wrestling for the final cut with the suits, and again, they seem to be true. Thank God DC films under the ever watching eye of our Lord and Savior Geoff Johns starts taking care from now on.

Simo

Tapley? Yeah I saw that one,

Buuuuut as I also mentioned, there's a hell of a lot more positive

Yeah him. That's cool if there's more positive impressions, I haven't actively looked up any and his along with MrBeaks and those commenting were what I saw because that just happened to come across my feed.

duckroll

The problem are the executives. There was buzz about Ayer wrestling for the final cut with the suits, and again, they seem to be true. Thank God DC films under the ever watching eye of our Lord and Savior Geoff Johns starts taking care from now on.

> Man of Steel announced
"THANK GOD NOLAN IS PRODUCING AND WATCHING OVER SNYDER!"

> Batman v Superman enters production
"THANK GOD BEN AFFLECK AND CHRIS TERRIO WILL FINALLY GIVE SNYDER A GOOD SCRIPT!"

> BvS tanks
"THANK GOD SUICIDE SQUAD WILL HAVE DAVID AYER INSTEAD!"

> Rumors that Suicide Squad might be bad
"THANK GOD GEOFF JOHNS WILL TAKE HIS JOB SERIOUSLY FROM NOW ON!"

I guess there's something to be said for always looking on the bright side of things... :)

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
> Man of Steel announced

"THANK GOD BEN AFFLECK AND CHRIS TERRIO WILL FINALLY GIVE SNYDER A GOOD SCRIPT!"

> BvS tanks

I guess there's something to be said for always looking on the bright side of things... :)

WONDER WOMAN LOOKS COOL!

Ahasverus

> Man of Steel announced

> BvS tanks

I hate you

> Man of Steel announced

> BvS tanks

You could say it's DAMAGE control.

Im not clever enough for these jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom