• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Well it seems Suicide Squad merits rest on itself, as its world building and depth ambition is zero. It's not a bad thing, but a BvS where you could see past its flaws it isn't.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck you guys, I ain't reading that shit! Just 3 more days....

a916

Well it seems Suicide Squad merits rest on itself, as its world building and depth ambition is zero. It's not a bad thing, but a BvS where you could see past its flaws it isn't.

This sounds like a 17 on Rotten Tomatoes in the making....

Honestly, if DC takes it's third critical L in a row, it's going to be an up hill battle for the next 5 movies...

Ahasverus

Snyder you beautiful bastard

eO1rbvw.png

Ross61

Honestly, if DC takes it's third critical L in a row, it's going to be an up hill battle for the next 5 movies...
Eh, if it's solid on its on then it'll be straight. Predicting something in the 70's like Fury.

Has a review come out yet or are we still sky-is-falling over the tweet?

duckroll

can you post it here`?...I dont want to enter that thread.l

Lol.

Just finished watching it. The expanded scenes improve the first act of the film enormously in terms of connective tissue and fleshing out the Lois Lane and Clark Kent subplots. It makes Superman's disdain for Batman much more justified, and it really spells out the Luthor conspiracy in a much more concise way. But... all the flaws of the rest of the movie are still there, and nothing really fixes it. Batman is still a total moron who has no reason to fight Superman at all, at least not in such a violent way especially when Luthor's involvement in the bombing should be obvious to him. Superman giving up after trying to tell Batman that it was all a misunderstanding just twice, and then going full WWE on him is also totally illogical. The script forces the title fight so awkwardly, it feels like the most expensive wrestling match ever staged, and feels just as artificial. Doomsday is still a totally pointless part of the climax, and so is the Knightmare scene.

This extended version does not fix the film, but it makes what is enjoyable about the film more enjoyable, and it makes the slower subplots in the earlier part of the film have more of a place in the overall narrative. More than anything else, by the end of the film I finally see the true fundamental flaw in the movie. The reason why I think it is mocked so much by critics and seen as a failure in cinematic execution. At the heart of it, the story is a total silly ass comic book misunderstanding engineered by an insane mustache-twirling villain ending with three over the top man child fantasy brawls. It's filled with cheese and shouldn't be taken remotely seriously and just enjoyed. That's fine. But it is all that, shot with the reverence of a dramatic epic, begging to be taken seriously and respected. That doesn't work for lots of people. I think it's pretty cool to try something like that, but that also means when scenes work, they fucking work, but when they fall flat, it really feels like a big joke. This is the superhero version of Pearl Harbor in a sense, but obviously more fun and less offensive since it isn't actually based on tragic historical events.

GeeTeeCee

The Ultimate Cut is finally out on Blu-Ray here tomorrow. I'm not expecting it to fix my major gripes with the film, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it can alleviate the minor stuff.

Psykoboy2

Shit. Sorry guys. I stayed up most of the night playing games and then slept in, woke up and played more.

So, here are his thoughts....

Just saw Suicide Squad! I think it was a fun movie. Wasn't necessarily worth paying theater ticket prices for so I'm glad I saw it for free. There was WAY too much back story development in the first 45 minutes. Margot Robbie was fantastic as Harley Quinn. Jared Leto was a great joker. Obviously different. But great. The movie was too much about Will Smith and sexualizing Margot Robbie. It's almost as if they shot it thinking "well it's probably going to suck but everyone likes seeing Will Smith and a mostly naked Margot Robbie". It did have a mid credits scene to help set up Justice League which was much appreciated but still left a ton of questions. Overall it seems DC tried to make this their Guardians of the Galaxy. The sound track was bomb. That was the best part of the movie. Go see it at your own risk. I give it a 5/10.

Boke1879

Shit. Sorry guys. I stayed up most of the night playing games and then slept in, woke up and played more.

So, here are his thoughts....

I'm not seeing anything really "wrong" with the movie based on these thoughts. I fully expect a fun movie and that's what this person said.

Boke1879

Welp.

I mean, its at least no BvS disaster level..

Again that's one person's opinion and what's really wrong with what they said? He seems to paint the focus on Deadshot and Harley or the sexualization of Harley as a negative. But again I think most of us expected that. Harley has no issues owning her sexuality, and when you cast someone like Will Smith it's definitely in a star role. They also think the time spent on backstory is a negative.

Lol, he hasn't seen the trailers then I'll take it ?
His biggest gripe is that HARLEY QUINN is too sexualized? Deadshot and Harley FUCKED in Assault on Arkham.

Also, we really shouldn't put much weight into a guy. We don't do that with positive tweets either, right?

Boke1879

Lol, he hasn't seen the trailers then I'll take it ?
His biggest gripe is that HARLEY QUINN is too sexualized? Deadshot and Harley FUCKED in Assault on Arkham.

Also, we really shouldn't put much weight into a guy. We don't do that with positive tweets either, right?

I'm not, and I'm not denying these are sincere feelings, but when you say stuff like "they shot this saying we know this movie might sucks so give them All the Will Smith and sexy Harley." To me it just seems like you're projecting a bit.

and that GOTG line made me kinda side eye a bit.

Lets hope its not setting a trend.

Of bad reviews? This is literally the first I've seen.

It's really funny, the reaction of everyone online pretty much, the rumours from industry people is all overwhelmingly positive

Just one tweet from someone who 'heard' and like tiny amount of not so positive reactions

There's like a blanket of doom for no fucking reason

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Of bad reviews? This is literally the first I've seen.

It's really funny, the reaction of everyone only pretty much, the rumours from industry people is all overwhelmingly positive

Just one tweet from someone who 'heard' and like tiny amount of not so positive

There's like a blanket of doom for no fucking reason
There were a lot of positive tweets a few months ago, too.
Just sayin.

Boke1879

I'm not going to pretend to know how well this film will review. Nor do I care. I'm going to see it.

That said I'm not taking tweets one way or the other seriously. It's a snapshot. Sure people won't like the movie. Or they may not like a certain aspect of the movie and use that as basis to why the movie isn't good.

Reviews really aren't any different. If this movie knocked it out of the park critically I'd be ecstatic. I'm not expect a 95 RT score in the first place. Let the movie be competently made, let it be fun and let the character performances be good and I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom