• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

There is a... stranger, who comes to this thread from twitter. He comes before the openings when people are hungry and brings spoilers. He comes at the preview screenings. That was last night.

VanWinkle

I'm not going to pretend to know how well this film will review. Nor do I care. I'm going to see it.

That said I'm not taking tweets one way or the other seriously. It's a snapshot. Sure people won't like the movie. Or they may not like a certain aspect of the movie and use that as basis to why the movie isn't good.

Reviews really aren't any different. If this movie knocked it out of the park critically I'd be ecstatic. I'm not expect a 95 RT score in the first place. Let the movie be competently made, let it be fun and let the character performances be good and I'm happy.

Agreed.

There is a... stranger, who comes to this thread from twitter. He comes before the openings when people are hungry and brings spoilers. He comes at the preview screenings. That was last night.

You said that like it explains why there's a cheeky mod, sitting in the dark, trolling in my second favorite thread.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
At this point WB is like Bane from TDKR. First they give us hope, then they will crush it. In here we learn what true despair is. Once the DCEU is in ashes, they have my permission to reboot.

17c.png

Ninjimbo

Nice thoughts.

About that last hour, I always felt that it was the bone thrown to the casual audience to justify the spectacle that they're paying for. Lindelof spoke about story gravity when he made the rounds for the second Star Trek. It's a Blockbuster thing and it is what it is. Ultimately, I don't think the fight between Supes and Bats undermines the film at all and I credit Snyder and Terrio for giving narrative weight to the final battle by dousing it with poetic imagery and consequences. It very easily could've gone into Star Trek territory where all the emotional investment is stripped away because of plot concerns, but it doesn't. Stuff happens and things change.

The battle between Batman and Superman, I always read that as an indictment on how far Batman had fallen. The lady with the fatherless says it best, "Words can't reach him. He only answers to fist." That's what Superman tries to do and Superman knows how strong Batman is so he has to push back hard. It doesn't work and the fight escalates from there. What's cool about it is the Martha scene and how words actually reached Batman after the whole ordeal. I think it's brilliant actually. Some people think it's silly. Oh well, opinions.

Well, let it never be said that WB's super hero outings aren't infinitely quotable.

I remember when in a thread someone tried to argue that 'I'm here to talk to you about the avengers initiative' was more often quoted than 'why so serious'

Like please, every single DC film is a quote goldmine

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when in a thread someone tried to argue that 'I'm here to talk to you about the avengers initiative' was more often quoted than 'why so serious'

Wait what

What

How

Why

Who

When

How can you seriously argue that? The Avengers line was in a few memes, but it was nowhere near as quotable as anything DC has done.

duckroll

The battle between Batman and Superman, I always read that as an indictment on how far Batman had fallen. The lady with the fatherless says it best, "Words can't reach him. He only answers to fist." That's what Superman tries to do and Superman knows how strong Batman is so he has to push back hard. It doesn't work and the fight escalates from there. What's cool about it is the Martha scene and how words actually reached Batman after the whole ordeal. I think it's brilliant actually. Some people think it's silly. Oh well, opinions.

But that's not true. Superman clearly went into the fight with the intention of talking it out. He even tells Lois that he has to convince him to help. But when it actually comes down to it, he "tried" for two lines, and then just gives up for no reason. Batman wasn't even hurting him. He could have just grabbed him, lifted him up, and explained the entire situation. He didn't because then there would be no fight. Bad writing!

IconGrist

I don't think that was exactly it but, yea, guek ain't living that one down for a long while. In the interest of fairness I once argued and laughed at the ludicrous notion that a Captain America movie would ever make more than a Batman/Superman movie. *shrug* We all get slapped in the face by the cold Mistress of Reality sooner or later.

I agree with Duckroll. Batman v Superman title fight was contrived to the point of it being physically frustrating. Superman could have easily talked it out, instead of flying Batman through a fucking bulding. And Batman didn't even investigate the bombing, or Clark Kent, or Lex Luthor. He just went all "hurr durr dangerous alien make America great again" and straight up wanted to murder him.

I don't think that was exactly it but, yea, guek ain't living that one down for a long while. In the interest of fairness I once argued and laughed at the ludicrous notion that a Captain America movie would ever make more than a Batman/Superman movie. *shrug* We all get slapped in the face by the cold Mistress of Reality sooner or later.

I hope I didn't misrepresent badly haha, that was how I remember it

That was guek? Ummmm sorry guek

duckroll

My favorite thing about the Ultimate Cut is that it actually DOES explain why Superman stopped Batman's car chase rampage and told him to hang it up. The Clark scenes were invaluable in showing his growing disillusion with this "Batman" character, and his constant exposure to what he deems to be acts of reckless violence making the people of Gotham afraid of their hero rather than in awe of him. It's a great parallel to his personal struggle in trying to maintain the image of Superman that he wants people to have, by helping as many people as possible to turning the public opinion around.

If only they could have salvage the Bruce Wayne arc in the same way, and made it rational and logical that a smart billionaire vigilante who has been doing this for 20 years would decide to go on a hunting mission to slay Superman rather than spend some time investigating Lex Luthor. I mean, Wonder Woman basically tips him off big time that Lex is up to no good, he KNOWS Lex is up to no good, and all that no good is pointing at Lex trying to kill Superman himself. Super dumb!

Edit: Oh, and I appreciate how with all the restored scenes, KGBeast actually feels like a real supporting character now. He's EVERYWHERE in the film doing Lex's dirty work from start to finish. It feels totally different from his (lack of) presence in the original version. Too bad Mercy is still a total non-character.

My favorite thing about the Ultimate Cut is that it actually DOES explain why Superman stopped Batman's car chase rampage and told him to hang it up. The Clark scenes were invaluable in showing his growing disillusion with this "Batman" character, and his constant exposure to what he deems to be acts of reckless violence making the people of Gotham afraid of their hero rather than in awe of him. It's a great parallel to his personal struggle in trying to maintain the image of Superman that he wants people to have, by helping as many people as possible to turning the public opinion around.

If only they could have salvage the Bruce Wayne arc in the same way, and made it rational and logical that a smart billionaire vigilante who has been doing this for 20 years would decide to go on a hunting mission to slay Superman rather than spend some time investigating Lex Luthor. I mean, Wonder Woman basically tips him off big time that Lex is up to no good, he KNOWS Lex is up to no good, and all that no good is pointing at Lex trying to kill Superman himself. Super dumb!

Edit: Oh, and I appreciate how with all the restored scenes, KGBeast actually feels like a real supporting character now. He's EVERYWHERE in the film doing Lex's dirty work from start to finish. It feels totally different from his (lack of) presence in the original version.

My head canon simply is that he isn't that person anymore. Still stupid in some points though, but I gotta live with that now.

Busty

Banned
My head canon simply is that he isn't that person anymore. Still stupid in some points though, but I gotta live with that now.

Head canon.

At the end of the day isn't that what we're all trying to make sense of...., our head canon.

Head Canon is also the name of my favourite AC/DC album.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom