• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

My favorite thing about the Ultimate Cut is that it actually DOES explain why Superman stopped Batman's car chase rampage and told him to hang it up. The Clark scenes were invaluable in showing his growing disillusion with this "Batman" character, and his constant exposure to what he deems to be acts of reckless violence making the people of Gotham afraid of their hero rather than in awe of him. It's a great parallel to his personal struggle in trying to maintain the image of Superman that he wants people to have, by helping as many people as possible to turning the public opinion around.

If only they could have salvage the Bruce Wayne arc in the same way, and made it rational and logical that a smart billionaire vigilante who has been doing this for 20 years would decide to go on a hunting mission to slay Superman rather than spend some time investigating Lex Luthor. I mean, Wonder Woman basically tips him off big time that Lex is up to no good, he KNOWS Lex is up to no good, and all that no good is pointing at Lex trying to kill Superman himself. Super dumb!

Edit: Oh, and I appreciate how with all the restored scenes, KGBeast actually feels like a real supporting character now. He's EVERYWHERE in the film doing Lex's dirty work from start to finish. It feels totally different from his (lack of) presence in the original version. Too bad Mercy is still a total non-character.

I think Mercy could have been used to flesh out Lex's motivations. Shit like him explaining why he is doing all the things he does rather than simple daddy issues. Imagine him discussing the impact of Superman on the world with someone.
07BKaJY.jpeg

IconGrist

Too bad Mercy is still a total non-character.

Someone theorized Lex sacrificed Mercy because she didn't appear to be on board with his plan. Especially noted when the kryptonite is delivered to him. Personally I didn't notice anything peculiar about her expressions in that scene but he swears it's there.

Ahasverus

He sacrificed her because she knew too much. That was it. She was the only one to look into the kryotonite crate, and maybe he thought she was too much of a loose end, she was the only one to know everything about his plan.

IconGrist

He sacrificed her because she knew too much. That was it. She was the only one to look into the kryotonite crate, and maybe he thought she was too much of a loose end, she was the only one to know everything about his plan.

I always saw it as his alibi of sorts. It's also the coldest thing he did. He tells her to go in and save his (reserved) seat. The look on her face when she realizes he's not coming in. She must've known she was screwed.

guek

Banned
I remember when in a thread someone tried to argue that 'I'm here to talk to you about the avengers initiative' was more often quoted than 'why so serious'

Like please, every single DC film is a quote goldmine
I never said that >_<
No point in clarifying though, I'll never live that down. I got trolled good in that thread

Personally, on the issue of the BvS titlefight... obviously, it's totally irrational for Bruce to go gunning for Clark like that, right? But what on earth gave people the impression that Bruce was in a rational frame of mind? Like, at all? He is deep in the rabbithole, he's viewing the entire world through the lens of "Superman needs to be stopped." It colors his perception of events and evidence. I wouldn't call that stupid, per se. Wrong, certainly. But not stupid or unbelievable.

I never said that >_<
No point in clarifying though, I'll never live that down. I got trolled good in that thread

That was you?

laaaawl

Boke1879

Personally, on the issue of the BvS titlefight... obviously, it's totally irrational for Bruce to go gunning for Clark like that, right? But what on earth gave people the impression that Bruce was in a rational frame of mind? Like, at all? He is deep in the rabbithole, he's viewing the entire world through the lens of "Superman needs to be stopped." It colors his perception of events and evidence. I wouldn't call that stupid, per se. Wrong, certainly. But not stupid or unbelievable.

That was you?

laaaawl

I never had an issue with it. This is a Bruce that has been Batman for many years now. He's old and I'd say pretty much given up on the "good" in men at this point.

Now he sees an Alien that in his mind has a hand in destroying Metropolis and destroying lives. He sees Superman as a threat to humanity. Like at some point Superman could say "fuck it" and kill everyone if he felt like it. That's the mindset Bruce is operating in. I never had an issue. He approached the whole situation from a cynical point of view.

WhiteWolf

I never had an issue with it. This is a Bruce that has been Batman for many years now. He's old and I'd say pretty much given up on the "good" in men at this point.

Now he says an Alien that in his mind has a hand in destroying Metropolis and destroying lives. He sees Superman as a threat to humanity. Like at some point Superman could say "fuck it" and kill everyone if he felt like it. That's the mindset Bruce is operating in. I never had an issue. He approached the whole situation from a cynical point of view.
I agree 100%.

IconGrist

I have BvS on right now. It amazes me just how far behind Bruce is. No clue what Superman is about. No idea Lex is fucking with him. Can't understand why Alfred isn't in agreement with him. Diana takes his shit and returns it (both times right under his nose) and mocks him for it. Is caught completely off-guard and un-prepared for the likes of something like Doomsday.

Wake your ass up, Bruce. Terrible way to book end your legacy.

Jimmy can still happen. For all we know the CIA guy used it as an alias. Caveat is this hypothetical Jimmy wouldn't know Clark and Lois.

Mercy is dead-dead. Maybe if she sat in the back she'd get Lex's cybernetic upgrades. But ten feet away, she vaporized.

Dead

well not really...yet
The only thing wrong with Jimmy Olsen's death is that we didn't the see the bullet travel through his skull

May as well have pushed that R as far as you can :p

Dierce

So we can expect WB to keep going with the DCEU as long as these movies make money even if they review poorly critically. But my biggest concern is that good directors and actors will probably refuse to take part of the DCEU as they might consider it a stain on their career. But on the other hand if the DCEU is rebooted I wouldn't mind it if they went for lesser known actors and had smaller budgets. Although Dredd had some well known actors it could serve as a benchmark for future DC movies.

Ahasverus

So we can expect WB to keep going with the DCEU as long as these movies make money even if they review poorly critically. But my biggest concern is that good directors and actors will probably refuse to take part of the DCEU as they might consider it a stain on their career. But on the other hand if the DCEU is rebooted I wouldn't mind it if they went for lesser known actors and had smaller budgets. Although Dredd had some well known actors it could serve as a benchmark for future DC movies.
As long as the DCEU is seen as "flawed" and not "bad" it's safe.

guek

Banned
Jimmy can still happen. For all we know the CIA guy used it as an alias. Caveat is this hypothetical Jimmy wouldn't know Clark and Lois.

Mercy is dead-dead. Maybe if she sat in the back she'd get Lex's cybernetic upgrades. But ten feet away, she vaporized.

lol, if Jimmy eventually shows up and Lois is never like "wtf, that was the name of that one guy in Africa..." then I'll take that as passive confirmation that the UC doesn't count and the TC is the only official "canon."

Ahasverus

lol, if Jimmy eventually shows up and Lois is never like "wtf, that was the name of that one guy in Africa..." then I'll take that as passive confirmation that the UC doesn't count and the TC is the only official "canon."
Not even WB takes the TC as canon, the airline version (Which is just the theatrical) has a disclaimer saying it was cut for time lol

It's not that crazy. Effectively it's what Iron Man 3 did with the Mandarin. Somebody is posing as a real guy out there. CIA-Jimmy could've borrowed the identity of a real photographer to pass background checks and whatnot.

Doubt it will happen because, you know, Clark Kent is DEAD. Boxed themselves in with that choice, but I reckon the alternative is silly in its own way. Superman Returns has Superman and Clark Kent vanish and arrive at the same time after five years and nobody puts two and two together.

Ahasverus

Doubt it will happen because, you know, Clark Kent is DEAD. Boxed themselves in with that choice, but I reckon the alternative is silly in its own way. Superman Returns has Superman and Clark Kent vanish and arrive at the same time after five years and nobody puts two and two together.
tbf that shit happens in the comics every week. Don't know how they could say everybody who was at the funeral that Clark just resurrected lol. I smell a Flashpoint.
You guys need to chill. Shit ain't healthy at this point. It's just a film. DC-GAF can't take another Ahasverus meltdown.
Oh, you are ready, you just don't know it yet.

tbh my next meltdown would be Wonder Woman, not Suicide Squad, I'm not really invested in this. I mean, yeah I want to see it, but it's a side diversion for me. Now, if Jenkins fucks up, Zeus will feel my rage.

J_Viper

You guys seem very tense

I know just the thing to cheer you all up

FRESH 4CHAN RUMORS

- Warner reestructured their plans for the entire DCEU after Batman V Superman was poorly received. Geoff Johns replaced Zack Snyder as the architect of the movies, and the tone was changed from somber and serious to hopeful and adventurous.

- Suicide Squad reshoots to lighten up the tone were real. They also served to add more DCEU connections to a fairly standalone movie.

- There'll also be reshoots to lighten up Wonder Woman, but the movie was overall less gritty than Suicide Squad, so there won't be as much. The studio is happy with what they've seen so far.

- Justice League is being produced under strict management, but the studio is happy with what they've seen so far. A sequel is still planned for 2019, but Snyder will only be brought back if he delivers with the first one.

- Johns will rewrite Aquaman with director James Wan to make it more cohesive with their new direction. They're using Ocean Master and the Trench as villains.

- Johns will rewrite The Flash with Rick Famuyiwa too. The script has problems, which led to Seth Grahame-Smith leaving the project. It'll be shuffled from March 16 to October 5. Villain is the Reverse-Flash. They're struggling with making it different from the tv series.

- They're also having troubles with Shazam and there's talk of delaying it. Johns will also touch up the script alongside its writer, which WB still hasn't selected. Dwayne Johnson remains attached as Black Adam.

- Justice League 2 is in early stages, all it is known is that it'll have Darkseid. Not even Green Lantern is confirmed.

- Warner wants the standalone Affleck Batman movie out on November 1, 2019. They believe it has Oscar potential. Affleck and Johns are figuring out the script, which seems to focus on Batman's relationship with his villains, especially the Joker.

- Cyborg is in preliminary stages and might be scrapped. He'll be making an appearance in The Flash first to test the waters. Johns will also be involved with the writing, and he wants to include the Metal Men in the plot somehow, it's an old passion project of him.

- Green Lantern Corps is also early stages, and will definitely have a "buddy cop" movie feel. Hal Jordan and John Stewart are in mind as the leads, but that could change.

- Suicide Squad 2 is in the cards, as a way to introduce Deathstroke, which Warner believes can carry his own franchise.

- Projects in development are a Harley Quinn solo movie, a Birds of Prey movie and a Justice League/Suicide Squad team-up movie. a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie was discussed, but talks have since died down.

- No plans for more Superman standalones

- One thing Warner really wants to do is adapt classic storylines in their movies. Their two biggest targets right now are Kingdom Come, which they believe is a "natural development" in a post-Darkseid Justice League movie, and a Flashpoint adaptation in a Flash sequel.

- No directors or writers have been approached for Shazam, Cyborg or GLC yet. All of those are in a state of flux where ideas change every day.

Ahasverus

You know why I don't believe these kind of overreaching 4-chan rumors? Because there are really few people who are privy to that info. Like, only the board would be up to date with EVERY PROJECT of the DCEU. So, unless Geoff himself is leaking this, I don't buy it. Individual movie info is something I believe once in a while though.

Effect

Already have my tickets so I just have to wait and see what I think of the film. I don't want to go through what I did with BvS. I ended up seeing it the Thursday night it came out and enjoyed myself. However the low reviews were depressing to see. I'm hoping SS fairs better. It doesn't have to be loved. I'll be happy if most just think it's an okay or average film and there isn't the over the top hyperbole that took place with BvS.

What I am not doing is stepping foot in any OT thread before seeing the film. I didn't for BvS because I know how OT Gaf can be when they smell blood and I want to at the very least form an opinion for myself. I just hope the thread titles don't go overboard when I look for other threads.

You know why I don't believe these kind of overreaching 4-chan rumors? Because there are really few people who are privy to that info. Like, only the board would be up to date with EVERY PROJECT of the DCEU. So, unless Geoff himself is leaking this, I don't buy it. Individual movie info is something I believe once in a while though.

There was still that one that listed Dafoe long before he was ever announced as someone they were pursuing. 4Chan is the perfect place to leak stuff though cause as you can see with this thread it's met by instant "LULZ 4CHAN" posts.

Effect

There's not going to be a Superman standalone for a very very very long time. If ever.

The best we can likely hope is he shows up in another film. Maybe there won't be many pure solo films but instead you have more team ups outside of the Justice League film.

The best we can likely hope is he shows up in another film. Maybe there won't be many pure solo films but instead you have more team ups outside of the Justice League film.

I dig the suggestion of sticking Superman in the Shazam film. Although they'd need to have Superman get past his gloominess to a role-model for Billy.

Effect

I dig the suggestion of sticking Superman in the Shazam film. Although they'd need to have Superman get past his gloominess to a role-model for Billy.

Always felt that was the best way to do that Shazam film. Shazam/Superman against Black Adam with Superman mentoring Billy/Shazam. Superman being weak to magic means he won't upstage Billy and Black Adam would be a real threat. I would think Superman would be in a better place after BvS and Justice League. That story already exist and can be adapted to fit the universe they're building now.

I would scrap Shazam if I was WB and just put Rock and Channing Tatum (if he's available) as Stewart and Jordan. If Tatum isn't available I would go for Gosling or Wahlberg.

A Cyborg solo movie with the metal men sounds awesome.

I hope the 4chan rumours are fake though because Wonder Woman doesn't need lightening up.

Actually, how credible have 4chan rumours been in the past to warrant them being given this much attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom