• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Went into BvS with with the most hype I've given any movie... going into Tuesday expecting the movie to be torn apart... for some reason, the reception of the other two DCEU films and the rumors now, has me kind of bummed about this movie.

duckroll

That kryptonite bomb exploding in his face is, I think, what triggered Supes' change from "I need to talk him down" to "Oh fuck this dude is actually trying to kill me, which would also result in Lex killing my mom".

Nah, he gave up way before that. When he stepped into the mine trigger that activated the machine gun sentries, he shrugged them off, then proceeded to punch the shit of Batman, and then shot him right through the building up in to the roof, and then trash talked him by saying if he wanted he would be dead already. Instead of doing any of that, he could have... grabbed Batman, lifted him in the air, and... talked sense.

Someone theorized Lex sacrificed Mercy because she didn't appear to be on board with his plan. Especially noted when the kryptonite is delivered to him. Personally I didn't notice anything peculiar about her expressions in that scene but he swears it's there.

Total bullocks. When the kryptonite is delivered and opened, she joins him in looking at it and has this totally approving "yeah Tiger, you did it!" look on her face.

I never had an issue with it. This is a Bruce that has been Batman for many years now. He's old and I'd say pretty much given up on the "good" in men at this point.

Now he sees an Alien that in his mind has a hand in destroying Metropolis and destroying lives. He sees Superman as a threat to humanity. Like at some point Superman could say "fuck it" and kill everyone if he felt like it. That's the mindset Bruce is operating in. I never had an issue. He approached the whole situation from a cynical point of view.

It's not about the good in men, it's about doing his fucking job. The movie really fails at this, and it is disappointing because it is pretty good at every thing else with the other characters. Bruce Wayne is not shown as a total psychopath or an insane person here, despite what people want to believe to justify how stupid he is. He's shown to be cruel, yes. Violent, yes. But also logical when it matters to what he wants. He seeks information about things he needs, he is concerned about his employees, he is annoyed about being kept out of the loop for things.

At the same time, he suddenly shows zero interest in anything in the world which might give reason for him NOT to fight Superman, even if these things are important things tied to his very motivation for fighting Superman. That's not a sign of a character flaw, it's a sign of forced writing trying to get a story to a place where the characters wouldn't go naturally.

Let's consider this. Luthor specifically tells Superman that it took 2 years of planning to drive Batman "over the line" to want to kill Superman. He mentions the notes and shit. But, none of those got to Bruce until like, that very week. The thing that actually drove him over the line seems to be the hearing blowing up. But... work with me here... why would that drive Batman over the edge?

- Batman fears Superman because he doesn't trust an alien with so much power
- Batman investigates for a way to fight Superman and discovers that a rich billionaire in Metropolis is tied with the criminal underworld and is trying to import this weapon
- While trying to steal information from said billionaire, Batman meets a woman who is at least as capable as he is, telling him that this person is very dodgy and might be a common foe to both of them
- Superman attends a hearing peacefully, but it results in disaster when one of the witnesses turns out to be a suicide bomber
- The suicide bomber is a man Batman knows, a man who has worked for Bruce Wayne for years and who he personally resulted from ground zero at Metropolis
- He then discovers that there have been messages from this man in returned checks to him which somehow his company has kept from him
- This is not a man who would do something like this, and someone who knows him would know that

What does Batman do in response to this? He breaks into Lex's lab to steal the kryptonite, and instead of doing ANY investigative work about what might be behind the bombing and why someone would want to frame HIS OWN EMPLOYEE, he starts buffing up, building kryptonite grenades, and a fucking kryptonite spear.

???????????????????????????

This isn't a movie devoid of logic either. It goes to great pains to show how Lex staged the set up in Africa (much more detailed than the original cut), how Clark Kent gets introduced to the concept of Batman through investigative journalism (also vital scenes cut from the original), and it shows how desperate and reactionary Lex becomes as his plans starts to unravel (also improved from the original cut because there are more scenes showing that both the Senator and Lois were closing in on the conspiracy), but when it comes to Batman, the only excuse is a hand wave that he "isn't the same man anymore". Gimme a break. Terrio let the Bat down. Plain and simple.

Ashhong

So serious question, how the fuck are they going to handle Clarks return? Or are they really going to keep him dead? That seems like the biggest slap in the face to the fans imo

So serious question, how the fuck are they going to handle Clarks return? Or are they really going to keep him dead? That seems like the biggest slap in the face to the fans imo

To be honest, I just hate that they killed him so early. The Death of Superman is my favorite story arc as it has a lot of sentimental value to me (first comic book I ever owned). But the fact that they killed him itself doesn't bug me. Hell, I think the obvious answer was set up really well in Man of Steel. My theory is:

189j18.jpg

Supes is basically Whitney Houston in that one song, except replace "woman" with Kryptonian. The dirt rising was him regenerating.

duckroll

He's not talking about Superman, he's talking about Clark Kent. How will Superman still have a secret identity if his identity "died" too. Superman coming back, people can accept. Clark Kent coming back? That doesn't work.

Counterpoint: Clark Kent isn't his secret identity; Superman is. I say, do away with the duality altogether. Never really been fond of secret identity drama, and since Lex knows, who cares?

He'll just tell Perry he hid under a dumpster and has been living there all this time. It'll be fine.

Actually Poodlestrike probably has the right idea, the Clark identity will be dead forever. Which really bums me out but whatever this is Snyder's world, we're just living in it.

guek

Banned
I always laugh when I think of the Superman:TAS excuse.

"I woke up and all I could remember is my ex girlfriend"

Ninjimbo

Nah, he gave up way before that. When he stepped into the mine trigger that activated the machine gun sentries, he shrugged them off, then proceeded to punch the shit of Batman, and then shot him right through the building up in to the roof, and then trash talked him by saying if he wanted he would be dead already. Instead of doing any of that, he could have... grabbed Batman, lifted him in the air, and... talked sense.

Total bullocks. When the kryptonite is delivered and opened, she joins him in looking at it and has this totally approving "yeah Tiger, you did it!" look on her face.

It's not about the good in men, it's about doing his fucking job. The movie really fails at this, and it is disappointing because it is pretty good at every thing else with the other characters. Bruce Wayne is not shown as a total psychopath or an insane person here, despite what people want to believe to justify how stupid he is. He's shown to be cruel, yes. Violent, yes. But also logical when it matters to what he wants. He seeks information about things he needs, he is concerned about his employees, he is annoyed about being kept out of the loop for things.

At the same time, he suddenly shows zero interest in anything in the world which might give reason for him NOT to fight Superman, even if these things are important things tied to his very motivation for fighting Superman. That's not a sign of a character flaw, it's a sign of forced writing trying to get a story to a place where the characters wouldn't go naturally.

Let's consider this. Luthor specifically tells Superman that it took 2 years of planning to drive Batman "over the line" to want to kill Superman. He mentions the notes and shit. But, none of those got to Bruce until like, that very week. The thing that actually drove him over the line seems to be the hearing blowing up. But... work with me here... why would that drive Batman over the edge?

- Batman fears Superman because he doesn't trust an alien with so much power
- Batman investigates for a way to fight Superman and discovers that a rich billionaire in Metropolis is tied with the criminal underworld and is trying to import this weapon
- While trying to steal information from said billionaire, Batman meets a woman who is at least as capable as he is, telling him that this person is very dodgy and might be a common foe to both of them
- Superman attends a hearing peacefully, but it results in disaster when one of the witnesses turns out to be a suicide bomber
- The suicide bomber is a man Batman knows, a man who has worked for Bruce Wayne for years and who he personally resulted from ground zero at Metropolis
- He then discovers that there have been messages from this man in returned checks to him which somehow his company has kept from him
- This is not a man who would do something like this, and someone who knows him would know that

What does Batman do in response to this? He breaks into Lex's lab to steal the kryptonite, and instead of doing ANY investigative work about what might be behind the bombing and why someone would want to frame HIS OWN EMPLOYEE, he starts buffing up, building kryptonite grenades, and a fucking kryptonite spear.

???????????????????????????

This isn't a movie devoid of logic either. It goes to great pains to show how Lex staged the set up in Africa (much more detailed than the original cut), how Clark Kent gets introduced to the concept of Batman through investigative journalism (also vital scenes cut from the original), and it shows how desperate and reactionary Lex becomes as his plans starts to unravel (also improved from the original cut because there are more scenes showing that both the Senator and Lois were closing in on the conspiracy), but when it comes to Batman, the only excuse is a hand wave that he "isn't the same man anymore". Gimme a break. Terrio let the Bat down. Plain and simple.
The thing is, I feel like all of that can be explained away by Bruce's obsession with Superman. More than likely, Bruce already had it in his mind that he was going to try to kill Supes and the bombing only pushed him further into that direction. A showdown was going to come and Batman wanted that showdown which is where the "Do you bleed?" line does its work. Batman, like Lex, had a problem with Superman's very existence and he's not thinking straight about it. I mean, why else have all those scenes with Alfred pointing out how out of touch Bruce really is? He already had his mind made up.

Superman tries to talk sense to him. It doesn't work. He shoves the dude 40 feet across the yard. Batman still doesn't listen. Superman breaks him into a building and tosses him like a ragdoll, and Batman responds with a kryptonite grenade. Bruce was going to go down fighting. If Superman picked him up, and 'talked' to him. Bruce would have blown the grenade in his face.

You think it's a flimsy excuse for a battle, so be it. I think it's pretty consistent with the Batman portrayal in that movie. He's a burn out having an existential crisis.

He's not talking about Superman, he's talking about Clark Kent. How will Superman still have a secret identity if his identity "died" too. Superman coming back, people can accept. Clark Kent coming back? That doesn't work.

No doubt. Dude might have to change his name or something. Smallville seems hilariously tight-knit on keeping the superman secret alive so I don't think they'd do anything to raise a fuss when he resurrects but he can't use that name anymore publicly either.

I guess he'll chill on the farm with Martha and Lois now.

I'd tie it into a Superman sequel that's primarily set off Earth. Something along the lines of Superman fixing the scout ship with the help of Cyborg. He sees a distress call from Kandor. Maybe talks with the League and Lois who convince him to check it out. From there it's Brainiac hijinks out in space. Basically, don't put him in an immediate storyline where Clark Kent matters. But perhaps expand on his Kal-El side.

Maybe they won't even bother with a secret identity anymore. Sorta like Tony Stark with Iron-Man. Everybody will know that the Man of Steel is Clark Can't.

Bleepey

I think the rumours are bullshit because they have been calling Suicide Squad a comedy since the initial comic con release but no one reports that cos stories of WB shitting the bed and scared their house is burning get more clicks.

IconGrist

The rumors are nonsense because you'd have to be pretty high up the chain to even know 40% of that shit let alone all of it. And if you are that high up the chain you have zero reason to leak it to a bunch of nobodies on 4chan. It's not like any of these are met with, "oh my god these are the greatest plans of all time!" Anything noteworthy you leak to the press in small bits to see what the public reaction is. Nothing on 4chan is going to give you notable results because no one believes it in the first place. At least with the press there's a certain amount of credibility so you can get a taste if what is going on is best for business. No one loses here. If plans change internally the press takes no serious hit to their credibility and WB doesn't have to confirm or deny anyway.

Yager

Banned
No Superman standalone film would me very sad.

How are you hype levels for SS? Have they lowered? Since the begining the only thing I expect from it is to be fun.

No Superman standalone film would me very sad.

How are you hype levels for SS? Have they lowered? Since the begining the only thing I expect from it is to be fun.

I'd be lying if I was to say they weren't a little DaMaGeD by rumors and overall fear that it will be inevitably crapped on by critics, but aside from that, still very excited. It feels like we've been waiting longer for this movie than BvS. I'm still somewhat in awe/greatful that we're getting Harley Quinn in a movie. What a time to be alive.

guek

Banned
My hype with SS went from modest at the announcement and then steadily rose to maybe 80% on the hype-ometer with each additional trailer but has since deflated to about a 70%, so still fairly hyped all things considered.

GeeTeeCee

I'm still hyped; all the marketing material had made the film look like something I'd enjoy. A random scattershot of Twitter impressions from people and websites I've never heard of changes nothing for my personal enjoyment of a film one way or the other.

Also, whenever I log into GAF the Suicide Squad OT has jumped up by 5 pages or so each time. What is going on in there? Because I'm sure as hell not going in to check.

shingi70

Banned
Counterpoint: Clark Kent isn't his secret identity; Superman is. I say, do away with the duality altogether. Never really been fond of secret identity drama, and since Lex knows, who cares?

Clark Kent was never the Secert Identity outside of the Golden and Silver Age of comics. Clark Kent has always been the man and Superman is how Clark Kent thinks he's best able to use his abilites. It's why BvS failed Superman in a major respect.

Raptor

I'd tie it into a Superman sequel that's primarily set off Earth. Something along the lines of Superman fixing the scout ship with the help of Cyborg. He sees a distress call from Kandor. Maybe talks with the League and Lois who convince him to check it out. From there it's Brainiac hijinks out in space. Basically, don't put him in an immediate storyline where Clark Kent matters. But perhaps expand on his Kal-El side.

Yes please, and fighting destroying planets letf and right.

Boke1879

Guys it'll be fine. Just hope for a fun movie and it'll be fine.. Don't go in expecting this to change our perceptions of reality. The movie needs to be fun, competent and the character performances need to shine.

Ninjimbo

I haven't been following the day to day reactions to SS impressions so I'm kinda confused as to why all of a sudden the mood has shifted lol. For me, I'm still excited, but I'm a little disappointed that the movie seems to be like it's going to be a 'fun' movie and nothing more.

I want it to be an event movie that I can think about months after I've left the theater. It doesn't look like SS is going to be that I think. Anyhow, I think I'll be fine if it's as good as say Ant-Man or something.

DaveH

Entire analysis fails because of this.

Everyone believes Keefe is capable of the bombing. He proved that with his daylight vandalism of a Federal monument (with dead soldiers on the walls) in front of cops and cameras, carrying a sentence of up to 40 years. That's not something someone looking after their own self interest does.

The whole point of using him as a patsy is that people would and DID believe he committed the bombing and that it WASN'T a frame-up UNTIL Lois uncovers otherwise.

Yager

Banned
I haven't been following the day to day reactions to SS impressions so I'm kinda confused as to why all of a sudden the mood has shifted lol. For me, I'm still excited, but I'm a little disappointed that the movie seems to be like it's going to be a 'fun' movie and nothing more.

I want it to be an event movie that I can think about months after I've left the theater. It doesn't look like SS is going to be that I think. Anyhow, I think I'll be fine if it's as good as say Ant-Man or something.

While I get what you're saying, I don't think the movie was ever sold as something more than fun and a way to introducing a bunch of characters unknown to the general audience, giving them the chance to appear in another movies of the same universe.

Anyway, I enjoyed pretty much every Ayer movie (haven't seen Fury yet), so I'm confident I'll like this one.

Boke1879

While I get what you're saying, I don't think the movie was ever sold as something more than fun and a way to introducing a bunch of characters unknown to the general audience, giving them the chance to appear in another movies of the same universe.

Anyway, I enjoyed pretty much every Ayer movie (haven't seen Fury yet), so I'm confident I'll like this one.

Yea I never expected this to be an event movie. Just a fun little experience that introduces characters that most general audiences don't know but have their claws in the universe.

I got the Rick Flag figure in the mail today. He's a Walmart exclusive that I was hunting for all of last month, but none of the Walmart's around here got any Suicide Squad stuff in. So I ordered him from a third-party seller on Amazon, and actually got it cheaper. Hah. The seller sent me the wrong tracking info, though, so I was a bit worried that they sent it to the wrong place.

He's a pretty cool figure. I like how he comes with so many weapons, and that he has holsters for his knife and handgun. Very nice.
Now I still need Diablo, which is the other Walmart exclusive. I'm also waiting on Katana, Captain Boomerang, and the purple coat Joker to release, which should be available everywhere. Except maybe my area, 'cause it sucks at stocking stuff everywhere, for some reason. DC Multiverse figures are either always sold out, or there's just a few Batman's left. Heh.

Anyway, getting all of the none exclusives will let me build a Killer Croc figure, which I'm looking forward to doing. I've never managed to collect all of the figures required for a build-a-figure before. My brothers have, but not me. But I really want every figure from this line, so I'm sure as hell going to finish it this time!

Boke1879

I got the Rick Flag figure in the mail today. He's a Walmart exclusive that I was hunting for all of last month, but none of the Walmart's around here got any Suicide Squad stuff in. So I ordered him from a third-party seller on Amazon, and actually got it cheaper. Hah. The seller sent me the wrong tracking info, though, so I was a bit worried that they sent it to the wrong place.

He's a pretty cool figure. I like how he comes with so many weapons, and that he has holsters for his knife and handgun. Very nice.

Now I still need Diablo, which is the other Walmart exclusive. I'm also waiting on Katana, Captain Boomerang, and the purple coat Joker to release, which should be available everywhere. Except maybe my area, 'cause it sucks at stocking stuff everywhere, for some reason. DC Multiverse figures are either always sold out, or there's just a few Batman's left. Heh.

Anyway, getting all of the none exclusives will let me build a Killer Croc figure, which I'm looking forward to doing. I've never managed to collect all of the figures required for a build-a-figure before. My brothers have, but not me. But I really want every figure from this line, so I'm sure as hell going to finish it this time!

Do you happen to have a list or at least pictures of all the figures releasing with this line that you can post here or PM me? I really want to get most from this line as well. I think they look neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom