• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

That critic seriously has something against WB and the DCEU or maybe comic book movies in general. His incessant nitpicking and claiming that the executives bet everything on a 'dead' product speaks volumes of where his interest really are.

GeeTeeCee

Yeah, the OT is starting to become a shitshow already. I may as well stop venturing in now before it turns into the BvS OT all over again, where people were openly posting spoilers because fuck everyone else's enjoyment - they don't like a thing, so why should anyone else?

Dierce

What the fuck is up with some of these critics? They criticize BvS for being too dark and not funny and they then criticize Suicide Squad for trying to be funny. As a DC fan it really pisses me off to see these critics thrash characters that I really enjoy. DC for me has always been about the psychological intrigue and the vastness of a mythology that can be both grounded and fantastical. I'm starting to think that these critics really enjoy pissing off our community and enjoy seeing the meltdown more than anything.

Yager

Banned
Give me the meltdowns. I don't really care about reviews, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the movie regardless what the critics say (as I've enjoyed, at different levels, pretty much every CBM out there), but it would be nice to see DC get a win.

Dierce

Give me the meltdowns. I don't really care about reviews, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the movie regardless what the critics say (as I've enjoyed, at different levels, pretty much every CBM out there), but it would be nice to see DC get a win.

They will never allow DC to win. They change the rules in order to keep DC from excelling. Outside of the Nolan movies they outright despise DC. I guess Disney has more goodwill with the critics than WB. Mind you, I don't believe that Disney pays the critics but they are probably more collaborative and inclusive with them.

Tabby

What the fuck is up with some of these critics? They criticize BvS for being too dark and not funny and they then criticize Suicide Squad for trying to be funny. As a DC fan it really pisses me off to see these critics thrash characters that I really enjoy. DC for me has always been about the psychological intrigue and the vastness of a mythology that can be both grounded and fantastical. I'm starting to think that these critics really enjoy pissing off our community and enjoy seeing the meltdown more than anything.

Pretty much. There's no winning honestly.

cisO8.gif

Tabby

Are y'all still tripping over one review? At least wait until multiple reviews are out before you go crazy.

Various tweets, impressions from people that were at early screenings and the fact that I've not actually seen one glowing review so far.

Tabby

Cant you feel the doom and gloom in the air?

That's really only because when there's a positive review people write it off because "Oh it's only because he liked X, disregard his opinion" but when there's a negative review it's "OH SHIT DC STAY LOSING"

Boke1879

Your optimism is amazing but come on. It's not gonna be a good day for this movie. The signs are all there.

I don't know what the reviews will be. Of course I hope it does well but I'm not going to freak out over one review. And guess what how many positive tweets and early impressions we got with BvS? That didn't mean shit.

Tabby

Nah, that's the big third act climax where the Squad fights Big Barda by channelling Enchantress' magic using the power of friendship.

This is right after Deadshot distracts Barda with a spontaneous rap battle.

I'm just going to say it, Guardians was so overrated.

Busty

Banned
I'm just going to say it, Guardians was so overrated.

I think GOTG is probably the best written Marvel film IMO.

IM3 had its moments and the two Avengers films were fun romps but Gunn's screenplay was a great example of an ensemble film done right.

If Squad is bad, I'm afraid I'm done with comic book movies. Marvel's offerings are honestly the most soulless shit I could watch on film, FOX make awful films, and WB clearly can't get a good one out. It's disappointing, really.

Busty

Banned
If Squad is bad, I'm afraid I'm done with comic book movies. Marvel's offerings are honestly the most soulless shit I could watch on film, FOX make awful films, and WB clearly can't get a good one out. It's disappointing, really.

YOU"LL BE BACK!!!!

It will be fine. Relax.

Boke1879

IM3 had its moments and the two Avengers films were fun romps but Gunn's screenplay was a great example of an ensemble film done right.

I loved GOTG but I've only seen it once with no desire to see it again

Busty

Banned
GotG and Winter Soldier are my favourite Marvel movies, I wish the villain wasn't such a parody figure though.

Loki has been the only good Marvel villain. The others have been paper thin and pretty unremarkable.

I thought Civil War's antagonist was too anonymous and had a totally baffling plan that seemed to rely on coincidence too heavily.

Dierce

I'm only invested in the DC universe. I have no intention of following Marvel and don't care about their characters or movies. I do have respect for Marvel, they have undoubtedly helped push comic books into the mainstream and that is a great thing. That's why my criticism isn't towards them but rather, in some cases, it is towards the film critics who judge DC movies and its characters on the basis of what Marvel has done. A film of villains trying to do good is never going to be lighthearted and if they could look beyond what they expect these movies and characters to be maybe they will judge them on the basis of what they represent.

jmood88

Pretty much. There's no winning honestly.
1. There have barely been any reviews made public yet.

2. It doesn't matter if they addressed something that was criticized by reviewers if it's not done well. There's no vendetta against DC movies.

I like GotG but on rewatch, it lost a lot when I heard the jokes already. Unlike Iron Man 3 that's humor gets me every time. Without the laughs It heightens lesser parts of the film; how poor the action is and whatnot. I'll say, the emotional beats are all well done, the taking his mother's hand moment works on me the times I've rewatched it.

Ninjimbo

It's only well written because it's aware of the clichés of the genre and plays around with them. When the movie tries to up the stakes at the end in the third act, you can feel the machinations at work and how all of it is going to lead nowhere. That little dance off at the end can either be taken as a joke or as a big fuck you to anyone invested in the story.

GOTG is probably Marvel's best movie, but I say that because the movie nails what it's trying to be. If you don't like that, the movie is a tough watch.

IconGrist

It's only well written because it's aware of the clichés of the genre and plays around with them. When the movie tries to up the stakes at the end in the third act, you can feel the machinations at work and how all of it is going to lead nowhere. That little dance off at the end can either be taken as a joke or as a big fuck you to anyone invested in the story.

GOTG is probably Marvel's best movie, but I say that because the movie nails what it's trying to be. If you don't like that, the movie is a tough watch.

*raises hand*

Busty

Banned

No. Gunn, who was a script doctor in Hollywood for years BTW, expertly blends the character arcs of each of the ensemble characters giving them not only a back story but a personal story arc.

In the case of Pratt's Starlord he has the main story arc of the film as his journey and a secondary story arc in his quest to be called/recognised as Starlord.

It's very well done.

Gunn also wrote Snyder's most agreeable film in Dawn of the Dead.

I liked the dance off, tbh. They tried fighting the villain and failed. Taking another approach to win was a neat subversion.

No. Gunn, who was a script doctor in Hollywood for years BTW, expertly blends the character arcs of each of the ensemble characters giving them not only a back story but a personal story arc.

In the case of Pratt's Starlord he has the main story arc of the film as his journey and a secondary story arc in his quest to be called/recognised as Starlord.

It's very well done.

Acting like any of the characters beyond Starlord have any backstory or character is a giant act of mental acrobatics.
Starlord is the only character we really know anything about. None of the characters have any big motivations beyond Drax wanting vengeance.

What the movie does well, and why I personally think the movie is ok is its ability to distract the audience so this never actually becomes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom