• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

The two worst reviewed comic book movies this year are going to be DC movies... ffs... this is embarrassing.

Well, better luck next time!

Poor Patty Jenkins, she is going to be kicked out of the editing room asap.

Probably will happen and it won't even be the right move..

Boke1879

WB should be hands off considering how terribly recieved most of their tentpole releases have been for a bit now.

I think this is Ayers baby. Can't put it all on WB

That said I'm going to watch this on Thursday now without a rowdy group to soak it all in myself and most likely watch it again.

Busty

Banned
Their BvS prediction was some high number, then reviews hit and it dropped drastically. They are literally bleeding money from reviews and the movie being a disappointment, which was his point.

Could you post a link of Warner Bros own prediction for BvS box office performance before the reviews please?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't WB's editors the ones causing the problems in the first place?

Ayer had creative control. This one is on him. Snyder got to do his thing with MoS (mostly) and didn't get full creative control on BvS.

To think about it, in recent years all the films from WB that I was super hyped before release was all slammed by critics except for one. That was Mad Max Fury Road...

Dierce

It seems like the film is edited to hell and back. Dammit. Whose faults is this? Ayer or WB?

Well, WB gave him more money for re-shoots. I believe he was telling the truth when he said that they just told him to make the movie even better. So maybe the original was received worse, we might never know.

People are saying it's not even fun. I didn't like BvS and felt like a waste of money. Think I'll wait until I have time to go in the morning with someone.

I don't blame WB by the way, Ayer wrote this one. WB wouldn't go outta of their way to sabotage their own movies ( I don't agree with Zack trying to make a 3 hour movie by the way). He probably had guidelines to follow like runtime and PG 13 which should've been easily to follow.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Lol poor WB can't catch a break.

This is the last of director driven films. Expect a major lockdown on these movies from now on.

Corpsepyre

Banned
"Suicide Squad is a lot of fun. Better than what some are saying. But I will say wish film had awesome villain." Frosty from Collider

At this rate I'm expecting a knee jerk reaction and whatever quality Wonder Woman had will be lost.

That's the worst part of all this. Wonder Woman was always a uphill struggle and now this is tossed on its back. If there are two comic movies I want to succeed, it's WW and Captain Marvel, if only to disprove the weird stigma Hollywood has.

ReiGun

Wonder Woman is gonna be hacked to bits, isn't it?

Damn shame, considering the film already had so much baggage to carry.

a916

This is the last of director driven films. Expect a major lockdown on these movies from now on.

Ayer had a good track record too going into this... that's the disappointing part.

Expect a lockdown via Johns... everything goes through him now. To be honest, all the problems so far are film related... so not something Johns is exactly an expert in.

Corpsepyre

Banned

It'll be fun if WW ends up scoring really high, and WB decides the way to move forward is to do female superhero films.

Dierce

Yeah Ayer was praising how much freedom he was given by WB. I think it is fair to say that WB is pretty incompetent when it comes to creating a movie with a fluid narrative. Most of their films this year have been failures with critics.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's still only 9-16 (36%) on RT. With 3/5 from Top Critics. It can still recover a bit and get up to 50%. I fully expected it to be around 70%, so I'm kinda shell shocked. This movie looked so fun and different than the other two DC movies which is what Joe Public was clamoring for and they got it, but still hate it.

Yup. Wonder Woman is gonna get ripped apart too. I called this happening after the BvS reviews. Critics are going to go in extra hard on these films whether it's justified or not.

ryan299

Where are those Twitter fucks who said they heard nothing but good things?

Mark Hughes. He said the same thing about BvS and was wrong then also.

The fallout is going to be amazing if this film under performs at the box office like BvS. They really need it to over perform after BvS.

The one things that makes me mad is how bad the villain is apprently. Out of all the superheroes films relased since the TDK, I liked extactly 4 villians; Bane, Two face, Joker, and Obadiah. Villians are suppose to be the one of the coolest part of comic books films but most of them have sucked.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment, WW and JL will not be any different. Hell, might even score lower.

WB probably crying and calling Nolan every night like a drunk ex, trying to get him back on board.

Corpsepyre

Banned
From HitFix:

'But that doesn’t really do justice to the full experience of Suicide Squad, and there is enough that is weird and beautiful and vividly absurd that I am willing to shrug off the familiar and the formula. There’s that ferocious Margot Robbie performance, for one thing, and yes, Jared Leto’s work as The Joker is exciting and interesting. Set aside all the ridiculous stories you heard about how crazy he was on the set, though. They’ve spent the last year building up the hype around this performance, and based on everything they said, it sounds like he should show up covered in freshly-peeled human skin wearing a necklace made of faces. That is absolutely not what they did, though. Instead, it’s a human-looking take on The Joker that leans heavily on a fairly classic interpretation of his behavior. He is driven by one single thing in this film: he wants his girlfriend back, and he doesn’t care who he has to kill to make that happen.'

Hmm, interesting.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling this movie will still make huge bank and won't have a big drop off next weekend. The Joker/Harley pull will be too big among the tweens and younger crowd. Younger people also don't care about reviews as much so it having a low score will probably have little effect. They'll make their money and be ok, but man do they need a critical darling, and soon. Wonder Woman HAS to be good. It's going to be under a microscope at WB now.

It's now 10-16 (38%)

Ninjimbo

Ahh, a new shitstorm to go through.

So I read Michael Phillips' review at the Tribune. He's one of my favorite critics and that is BAD review. Mostly because I don't understand what's wrong with the movie. He spends a lot of the space complaining about the subject matter saying the movie shouldn't even be rated PG-13. Then he goes on a mini rant about how the movie is going to make
money anyway because BvS did 800 million WW and basically implies that DC fans don't really care about quality.

The review was less about the film itself and more about the environment surrounding the film and that's just odd to me. He just tells you the movie is bad, with script being the problem and that Will Smith and Robbie are stand outs. That's it.

Part of me wonders if perceptions are leading to pre-conceived notions about these movies, and another part of me is wondering if Phillips' struggled to omit the words 'tone' and 'fun' from his review lol.

Into the dungeon we go again, fam.

PBY

Banned
You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment, WW and JL will not be any different. Hell, might even score lower.

WB probably crying and calling Nolan every night like a drunk ex, trying to get him back on board.
JL probably gonna be a Snyder shitfest yes, but I think WW will be super awesome.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Brian Truitt
USA Today August 2, 2016
Compared to its ilk, Suicide Squad is an excellently quirky, proudly raised middle finger to the staid superhero-movie establishment.
Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom