• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not that big of a fanboy. I wont spend a dime on this. I have to draw a line for myself. Probably won't see any CBM in a long time.

And stop coming at me how I am being hyperbolic and all. I read the reviews.

Ahasverus

And who knows you might actually go into this movie and enjoy it. The reviews suck no doubt and that has a hand in cutting off the legs of a movie but we'll see
It's very likely that we'll just roll with it, we love the characters already and it can't be that bad, if a bit typical and just unexciting from an outsider perspective. But a franchise like this needs far more than us to survive. That said, SS was made in the cheap.

IconGrist

I am numb to it but I didn't get that way from the DCEU movies. That's from a long sad history of liking movies that aren't generally well-received.

Yager

Banned
Just got this:

ojDYiVg.jpg

ryan299

Peter Travers - Rolling Stone

You’ve never seen a more lovable team of death-row supervillains, hilariously dubbed "the worst of the worst."
Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I’d say it’s Ayer’s willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all.
This botch job makes Fantastic Four look good.

Holy shit.

Tabby

So, how are you guys holding up? I expected this reviews, and that won't stop me from seeing it (and probably enjoy it).
I'm still going to watch the movie. I'm just not happy at the fact that we're getting 3 rotten DC movies in a row, can't look good for trying to find actors in the future or the reputation of DC/WB.

IconGrist

I'm still going to watch the movie. I'm just not happy at the fact that we're getting 3 rotten DC movies in a row, can't look good for trying to find actors in the future or the reputation of DC/WB.

You'll miss out some really high profile names but the odds they were going to jump in are slim anyway. Outside of that group no one is going to turn down big money.

Corpsepyre

Banned

'Though look closely at Karen Fukuhara as Katana, Flag's ninja second-in-command — her sword absorbs the soul of her victims. Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I'd say it's Ayer's willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all. Superfreaks become supersweeties and Suicide Squad: Dawn of Dullness (my subtitle) does the impossible. Forget Batman v Superman — at least it tried. This botch job makes Fantastic Four look good.'.

Lol. Fuck this guy.

Yager

Banned

Well, at least the big roles are already casted.

Ashhong

The prestige is amazing. Wish he take a brake form big concept movies and go back to his early roots of low budget and small cast. Also get Guy Pearce back into one of his films.

You shut your mouth.

I want more spectacular, big concept movies like Interstellar. Movies that really blow you away in theaters. Prestige was a great movie and all, but it doesn't have the spectacle or even the emotions that Interstellar had.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Forget Batman v Superman — at least it tried.

BvS redeemed, the genius WB plan is working. Just make every new movie worse than the previous one, making it better retroactively!!!!!111!!

Seeing it tomorrow, can't wait. Bummed about lack of Joker though.

Ashhong

I am not that big of a fanboy. I wont spend a dime on this. I have to draw a line for myself. Probably won't see any CBM in a long time.

And stop coming at me how I am being hyperbolic and all. I read the reviews.

You've never once in your life liked a movie with a rotten score?

IconGrist

You shut your mouth.

I want more spectacular, big concept movies like Interstellar. Movies that really blow you away in theaters. Prestige was a great movie and all, but it doesn't have the spectacle or even the emotions that Interstellar had.

Interstellar had some amazing moments. I was crying like a baby when his daughter sent that message about being his age. Overall the movie fell a bit flat. That whole conversation about data vs feeling just blew right by me.

WB needs a DC movie that is received well by critics and fans right now. IF nothing else but to make the internet bearable for DC fans.

If I see this movie and it's good, I'm done with reviews for comic book movies. Including reviews for Marvel.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Interstellar had some amazing moments. I was crying like a baby when his daughter sent that message about being his age. Overall the movie fell a bit flat. That whole conversation about data vs feeling just blew right by me.

I will take you down.

Ashhong

Which data conversation was this?

It's very likely that we'll just roll with it, we love the characters already and it can't be that bad, if a bit typical and just unexciting from an outsider perspective. But a franchise like this needs far more than us to survive. That said, SS was made in the cheap.

Uhhhhh source? I highly doubt this..

I will take you down.

Let's get him!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Faraci on Joker:

'That villain is surely not The Joker. Jared Leto is fucking insufferable in the role, playing The Joker as Scarface with a bad sense of humor. I know that everybody gets their own interpretation of comic book characters, but I think this is the worst version of The Joker yet, a version that so deeply misunderstands the chaotic heart of the character that he’s simply ruined.'

Umm, Joker never had a good sense of humour. That's the joke.

WB needs a DC movie that is received well by critics and fans right now. IF nothing else but to make the internet bearable for DC fans.

If I see this movie and it's good, I'm done with reviews for comic book movies. Including reviews for Marvel.

Well, it will be almost a year before they have a chance to change the narrative - but likely won't because I feel WW will be held to an even higher standard.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Ayer probably saw this coming, which is why he signed on for a Max Landis project. Gotta eat!

Ninjimbo

Yeah, Nolan isn't exactly the guy I would go to for a war movie.

Nolan should keep doing movies like Insomnia or Memento. That's where Nolan shines the most.
I feel like he's at his best when he's trying to break new ground and doing weird shit like TDK and Inception. WWII movies almost have to be formulaic I think if they're going to be a hit. Otherwise you'll have stuff like The Thin Red Line and Letters From Iwo Jima which nobody cares about.

Who knows tho? Maybe a European POV will make Dunkirk something special. I'm hoping.

Penguin

Penguin disappeared again. :(

Eh back to work so lots to catch up on
and usually don't play the review game, good or bad.

Tbh, WB has become a bit of a shit studio. Theie last critical hit was Mad Max. I think the board is going down with this ship.

I don't think that's true

Creed was end of last year.
The Nice Guys was just May
The Conjuring 2
Lights Out

A combination of critical and commercial, would probably be Mad Max.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
15-24 (38%) 5.3/10 avg from all Critics
6-8 (43%) 5.8/10 avg from Top Critics

The struggle is real. If this can end up at 50% I'd be ecstatic.

the good thing about Wonder Women, its just her Movie. No batman to share screen time, no squad of charcters.

Just a good old fashion origin story.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Top Critic
Bill Goodykoontz
Arizona Republic August 2, 2016
It's probably best to think of "Suicide Squad" as a primer, an entry into a side world of the DC Universe that may pay bigger benefits in later films.
Full Review | Original Score: 3/5

---

That name. Guy's from North of the Wall or something?

Ninjimbo

tru dat. It's worrying, because then they could say Fuck DC and cancel everything, those named were much cheaper films.
If SS makes bank, they'll probably realize that the DC brand is critic proof and just keep chugging along. It's better than taking a $150 million risk on unknown stuff like Tarzan and Pan.

Tabby

Maybe spotted is a reach. He was known to be in Paris when Wonder Woman was shooting there, and there are pics of a Wayne Enterprises truck.

Google Ben Affleck Wonder Woman set or something along those lines. I'm on mobile at work.

IconGrist

Maybe spotted is a reach. He was known to be in Paris when Wonder Woman was shooting there, and there are pics of a Wayne Enterprises truck.

Google Ben Affleck Wonder Woman set or something along those lines. I'm on mobile at work.

Oh, yea, I knew all of that but I'd never heard
of him being spotted on set.

Boke1879

If SS makes bank, they'll probably realize that the DC brand is critic proof and just keep chugging along. It's better than taking a $150 million risk on unknown stuff like Tarzan and Pan.

Right now it's all about how much this will make and how these reviews will impact opening weekend numbers. These types of reviews don't do well for the legs of a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom