• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you, damned be all :(

GCRUHtc.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
More from Hitfix:

'The film’s got a rotten elegance thanks to the cinematography by Roman Vasyanov, who also did strong work for Ayer on Fury, his WWII film, and Steven Price does really strong work as a composer here, on par with the things he’s done like Gravity or Attack The Block or The World’s End. There’s a pretty ferocious sense of energy to the film’s first 2/3, and the weirder it gets, the better it is. When it starts to falter into something more conventional, it’s disappointing, but there are some strong choices near the end of the movie that suggest that this larger DC universe could be coming into focus.'

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
JL probably gonna be a Snyder shitfest yes, but I think WW will be super awesome.

The only WB movie that will actually do good next year critically is probably Dunkirk
hope I don't jinx it :p

JL probably gonna be a Snyder shitfest yes, but I think WW will be super awesome.

The same thing was said about Suicide Squad. Prepare for more arguments about Gal's terrible acting, her body, #NotmuhWW, and all the sexist and misogynistic bullshit to go along with the first female lead superhero movie.

The only WB movie that will actually do good next year critically is probably Dunkirk

I think Dunkirk will probably review best, but I still don't think it will be overwhelming. I get the sense Nolan is going to be taken to task sooner or later by critics and doing the standard WW2 movie is the perfect avenue for that.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Lego Batman will get glowing reviews, best movie in years. Mark my words
And yet I didn't laugh once at the Comic Con trailer. Those jokes were not good. And I usually love the LEGO movies and their style of humor. I'm sure it'll review just fine and make bank, but I was just not seeing what everyone else was.

EDIT - 10 and 17 now (37%)

strafer

The same thing was said about Suicide Squad. Prepare for more arguments about Gal's terrible acting, her body, #NotmuhWW, and all the sexist and misogynistic bullshit to go along with the first female lead superhero movie.

I can guarantee that all the complaints about WW will be about Gal Gadot.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You really think so?

Yeah, WW will be botched to hell and back and whatnot. Patty leaving because she doesn't get the movie she wanted and JL already seems not that interesting. That trailer was very disappointing tbh.

Nolan keeping WB alive!

IconGrist

And yet I didn't laugh once at the Comic Con trailer. Those jokes were not good. And I usually love the LEGO movies and their style of humor. I'm sure it'll review just fine and make bank, but I was just not seeing what everyone else was.

I thought the Lego Movie was pretty bad. Then on the 3rd watch (my daughter loves it) I found it hilarious for some reason. It was a weird transition for me.

a916

You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment, WW and JL will not be any different. Hell, might even score lower.

WB probably crying and calling Nolan every night like a drunk ex, trying to get him back on board.

How much lower can it get?

Ninjimbo

I got my reservations about that one. I love Nolan to death, but I don't think his style of filmmaking is right for a war movie. But hey, I'm more wrong about this stuff than I am right.

strafer

I got my reservations about that one. I love Nolan to death, but I don't think his style of filmmaking is right for a war movie. But hey, I'm more wrong about this stuff than I am right.

Yeah, Nolan isn't exactly the guy I would go to for a war movie.

Nolan should keep doing movies like Insomnia or Memento. That's where Nolan shines the most.

Yeah, Nolan isn't exactly the guy I would go to for a war movie.

Nolan should keep doing movies like Insomnia or Memento. That's where Nolan shines the most.
The prestige is amazing. Wish he take a brake form big concept movies and go back to his early roots of low budget and small cast. Also get Guy Pearce back into one of his films.

Well, to be fair, he's not that great at cutting action. I have always preferred the more cerebral Nolan.
I use to say that about Nolan, but he's made some of the most memeorable action scene that I've seen in theaters.
The Truck flipping
No time for caution
Inception Hallway fight

I think it's the hand to hand combat by itself

IconGrist

I like Nolan's earlier stuff. He's coming off a bit full of himself though. Memento, The Prestige, and Batman Begins were the highs for me. Everything else just kinda sat in the middle.

Ahasverus

Tbh, WB has become a bit of a shit studio. Theie last critical hit was Mad Max. I think the board is going down with this ship.

Dierce

It seems to me that having a weak main-villain was the right way to go for this movie that already consists of villains. You don't went the main cast to be overshadowed and you already have the Joker which serves as a contrast against the other bad guys who can be redeemed. I'll definitely try to give the movie a non-biased analysis once I see it.

a916

Tbh, WB has become a bit of a shit studio. Theie last critical hit was Mad Max. I think the board is going down with this ship.

They've had a long string of poorly received tent-pole films. Does that stretch past or did it begin with Pan/Jupiter Ascending?

ReiGun

Yeah, WW will be botched to hell and back and whatnot. Patty leaving because she doesn't get the movie she wanted and JL already seems not that interesting. That trailer was very disappointing tbh.

Nolan keeping WB alive!

When did this happen?

Ahasverus

They've had a long string of poorly received tent-pole films. Does that stretch past or did it begin with Pan/Jupiter Ascending?
Harry Potter was their last home run hit. Maybe Interstellar which was already problematic. It's obvious the current board is no good. Watch Fantastic Beasts bomb critically.

Harry Potter was their last home run hit. Maybe Interstellar which was already problematic. It's obvious the current board is no good. Watch Fantastic Beasts bomb critically.
Interstellar did fine. It's calm down about WB. I mean Mad Max was critically acclaim but didn't bring in cash.
Besides I think TDKR came after Harry Potter

at this point, they need to retool and get directors who understand DC. whether i like the movie or not, having MoS, BvS, SS fail critically is a bad look

Boke1879

Man it seems like a lot of you really hedge your bets on a movie being critically received or not. Regardless if you personally like it or not.

At this point who cares. Go see the movie if it interests you. If you don't end up liking it at least you saw it and know why.

Yager

Banned
So, how are you guys holding up? I expected this reviews, and that won't stop me from seeing it (and probably enjoy it).

one of the things that drives me nuts with Rotten Tomatoes is that the exact same score, from the exact same publication can be considered fresh or rotten, mainly anything in the 6/10 or 3/5 range. I know that it is up to the reviewer whether or not it is fresh or rotten when they submit, but it does seem odd.

Interstellar did fine. It's calm down about WB. I mean Mad Max was critically acclaim but didn't bring in cash.
Besides I think TDKR came after Harry Potter

Warner Bros has been fighting off people trying to buy them for awhile now. I doubt it's calm down there for some. DCEU was their big bet to keep buyers at arms length. Right now, it's underperforming and its easy leverage to get people to flip sides. "You have the DC comic license and you're squandering it, we can come in and save it."

The reviews for this movie read like a problem that isn't DC specific though...

i agree, seems like DC is reviewed harder. may be an affect of the dark knight trilogy. seems like marvel gets passes whereas DC gets penalized.

but again, until DC can cater to the critics better, we will never see the universe built like Marvels,

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wonder whats going on at WB. Too many critically ravaged movies from a studio that used to shit out great movies.

Last critically acclaimed movie that was also a blockbuster was Mad Max. I mean seriously.

at this point, they need to retool and get directors who understand DC. whether i like the movie or not, having MoS, BvS, SS fail critically is a bad look

I dunno, everything I have seen about this film thus far doesn't show a misunderstanding of DC, or what Suicide Squad is, the cahracters with the exception od Deadshot seem pretty much what they are in the comics, which is why i was excited. Now this may change when I see the movie, but it seems consistent in tone with what the classic squad did.

Ahasverus

I wonder whats going on at WB. Too many critically ravaged movies from a studio that used to shit out great movies.

Last critically acclaimed movie that was also a blockbuster was Mad Max. I mean seriously.
Mad Max was not a blockbuster lol. The board must be in panic mode right now. HArry Potter is their only chance.

Boke1879

And who knows you might actually go into this movie and enjoy it. The reviews suck no doubt and that has a hand in cutting off the legs of a movie but we'll see

jrush64

Banned
Same here. We waited our entire lives for Batman v Superman. It was a MUCH bigger blow to me seeing that get savaged. Not phased here.

You know what I'm also a bit numb to the whole thing too. BvS was painful no doubt but this one not too much. The movie looks great, I don't see how it can be as bad as the reviews are saying.

I still maintain that when It comes to DC movies, the critics are harsher. That's the way I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom