• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psykoboy2

If SS makes bank, they'll probably realize that the DC brand is critic proof and just keep chugging along. It's better than taking a $150 million risk on unknown stuff like Tarzan and Pan.

What's the range it needs to make this weekend to be seen as a good/great opening weekend?

3N16MA

Banned
When I'm interested in seeing a film and have been anticipating it for awhile, reviews really don't sway me. I will watch it and decide on the quality based on my own views.

What's the range it needs to make this weekend to be seen as a good/great opening weekend?

Well, the August record is $95M set by GOTG.

It's all about the legs now which the reviews will have the most impact on. So we won't know the full story until next weekend.

Effect

Still in for seeing it Thursday night. I've learned a long time ago what I end up enjoying doesn't always match critics and with these DC films I'm extremely weary of the reviews after how much I enjoyed both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. They have their flaws but all films do and they weren't enough to hurt my enjoyment at all. This will be the third time now where I potentially really enjoy a film that critics dislike. Not going to force myself to like it but I'm going in with an open mind like I do all films.

If the audience reaction is okay to good this might be where people just start ignoring negative reviews for WB's DC films on large scale.

I'm thinking back to Tarzan now and how critics hit that film. Yet it seems the audience overall really enjoyed that. So it's not just the DC films were there is this weird difference of opinion.

Now I say all this by not reading any of the reviews. Just the few snip its that were posted in this thread and like past reviews I see the hyperbole is still there with some of them.

Ninjimbo

Right now it's all about how much this will make and how these reviews will impact opening weekend numbers. These types of reviews don't do well for the legs of a film.
Yeah, we'll see. I'm eager to see what the audience thinks. MoS made bank on bad reviews so if SS does the same...I honestly don't think WB should be that worried. You can always produce a Harley movie and it will be more interesting than a run of the mill Bourne movie or another Star Trek.

jrush64

Banned
What about those Transformer movies, how do they do so well worldwide? Word of mouth or what?

That's the definition of critic-proof.

Ninjimbo

What about those Transformer movies, how do they do so well worldwide? Word of mouth or what?

I'm still wondering how the Fast movies do so well with critics. I think the newest movies have been really really bad.

Does the cast have any more appearances or is the press tour done for SS? I felt bad for those involved with BvS when the reviews dropped and it seemed like they still had interviews and events to do.

Boke1879

It's already tracking for a great OW. That is pretty much safe.

Yup the numbers might drop a bit but it's still looking to break the August record.

It's the legs we'll have to keep an eye on. To me this movie always had a ceiling of like 600mil at the most WW. Great reviews could have pushed it over the edge. But we could be looking at something like 300 mil domestic and 200 mill WW which wouldn't be bad.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Top Critic
Soren Anderson
Seattle Times August 2, 2016
In a year overloaded with comic-book movies, "Suicide Squad" just seems like more of the same.
Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/4

---

Give this guy a medal. Winner.

a916

Faraci on Joker:

'That villain is surely not The Joker. Jared Leto is fucking insufferable in the role, playing The Joker as Scarface with a bad sense of humor. I know that everybody gets their own interpretation of comic book characters, but I think this is the worst version of The Joker yet, a version that so deeply misunderstands the chaotic heart of the character that he’s simply ruined.'

Umm, Joker never had a good sense of humour. That's the joke.

Same dude who said BVS was the worst Superhero movie of all time worse than F4... yeah I really value his insight....

GunBR

It's a bunch of robots punching each other with a lot of explosions in the mix and a story that's easy to follow and with a lot of jokes.

It's easy to see why they do so well on the box office, doesn't matter if they're terrible

Anyone have a link to the mid credit scene?

I don't even care to watch this movie anymore.

maybe you never did?

I'm pretty sure that most of the people in this thread will see it regardless but this "reviews shouldn't matter" nonsense is annoying.

What? I'm talking about the people who always show up and try to lecture people about how they shouldn't care about reviews.

Yea, that's an annoying way to go about it.

what's annoying is having to talk about a movie's reviews for the next year instead of fans in a thread talking the actual movie itself.
there are an not insignificant number of reviewers that HATE these movies and that aren't reviewing these movies honestly. that's never going to change.

it's tiring to have to read people hype up movies and then at the first negative review say the movie is shit! I personally want to go see movies of characters I grew up with
instead of bragging about being a fan of the better reviewed universe of movies.

Top Critic
Soren Anderson
In a year overloaded with comic-book movies, "Suicide Squad" just seems like more of the same.

---

this is what bothers me, marvel doesnt get this sort of fallback

ryan299

It would be hilarious if WW bombs, it comes full circle to Snyder to redeem DC movies and he nails it. And no, I don't want these films to bomb.

a916

this is what bothers me, marvel doesnt get this sort of fallback

I don't want to be that guy... but how come people bring up the undercooked villain as the main thing in this film, yet the entirety of the MCU is built off that except for the rare time they do a villain right.

Top Critic
Soren Anderson

---

It'll be fun to see what he thinks when Doctor Stranger comes out with a villain who says things like "I am death".

Ninjimbo

I don't want to be that guy... but how come people bring up the undercooked villain as the main thing in this film, yet the entirety of the MCU is built off that except for the rare time they do a villain right.
I'm pretty certain that if Marvel released those Phase 1 movies today, none of them would cross over 50%.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel critics have grown less receptive of the blockbusters these days. They're tired of watching these movies.

I'm pretty certain that if Marvel released those Phase 1 movies today, none of them would cross over 50%.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel critics have grown less receptive of the blockbusters these days. They're tired of watching these movies.
Iron man 1 is great.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I've no doubt Iron Man 2 would be shat on if it released tomorrow (in context of course).

a916

If you can believe it, Suicide Squad is even worse than Fantastic Four.
- Vanity Fair

This botch job makes Fantastic Four look good.
- Rolling Stone

Ow0kL_f-maxage-0.gif

Disagree there. The first Iron Man and The Avengers would definitely cross over 50%. Probably Thor and Cap as well.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It would be hilarious if WW bombs, it comes full circle to Snyder to redeem DC movies and he nails it. And no, I don't want these films to bomb.

Ohh man, what I would give for that to happen.

Ninjimbo

Iron man 1 is great.
Oh yeah. Iron Man 1 doesn't even count as Marvel movie in my mind for whatever reason lol. It's so different from what came afterwards.

I still like it but I detest the last 40 minutes of that movie though. What it builds up to shouldn't lead to whatever Jeff Bridges did at the end. So fucking disappointing.

I'm disappointed in the reviews also. Huge DC fan. This line right here from Peter Travers and the fact that BvS got an R rated release makes me think DC just needs to commit to an R rated universe.

"Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I'd say it's Ayer's willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all.

Full Review… | August 2, 2016"

Training Day (wrote), Fury, End of Watch. Ayer is an R rated director. You can't hold him back.

a916

I'm disappointed in the reviews also. Huge DC fan. This line right here from Peter Travers and the fact that BvS got an R rated release makes me think DC just needs to commit to an R rated universe.

"Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I'd say it's Ayer's willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all.

Full Review… | August 2, 2016"

Training Day (wrote), Fury, End of Watch. Ayer is an R rated director. You can't hold him back.

If Ayer can't make a good PG13 film in Suicide Squad, then the problem is with Ayer... not DC's.

WB wants to make as much money as possible, they don't want to limit their audience with a R tag.

Oh yeah. Iron Man 1 doesn't even count as Marvel movie in my mind for whatever reason lol. It's so different from what came afterwards.

I still like it but I detest the last 40 minutes of that movie though. What it builds up to shouldn't lead to whatever Jeff Bridges did at the end. So fucking disappointing.
In hindsight it was a typical comic book movie. Fun and villain must lose. The Nolan came a few weeks later and change the how comic book movies should be view with its tone and nobody wins ending.

Ninjimbo

What's funny is that Travers is usually the guy that gets the "he likes everything" labels to see him go ham on SS is pretty amusing.

But I trust him. My biggest fear for SS was that it was going to come out lacking teeth, and that's what it sounds like we got. Which is weird for Ayer because End of Watch and Fury are films that don't hold anything back. That's why I liked him for SS!

What's funny is that Travers is usually the guy that gets the "he likes everything" labels to see him go ham on SS is pretty amusing.

But I trust him. My biggest fear for SS was that it was going to come out lacking teeth, and that's what it sounds like we got. Which is weird for Ayer because End of Watch and Fury are films that don't hold anything back. That's why I liked him for SS!

Those films were also rated R.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's over fam. 33% now. It won't get any better. DC/Ayer fucked up. I'm still just amazed that was possible after seeing those trailers. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the movie, but man it just sucks to not have one fucking DC movie that has a general "liked" consensus so every fucking thread I go into doesn't devolve into a meme fest for the next year.

If Ayer can't make a good PG13 film in Suicide Squad, then the problem is with Ayer... not DC's.

WB wants to make as much money as possible, they don't want to limit their audience with a R tag.

But that is the problem, when money and greed overpowers great story telling. Unfortunately, art is not art anymore, it's a product.

Boke1879

It's over fam. 33% now. It won't get any better. DC/Ayer fucked up. I'm still just amazed that was possible after seeing those trailers. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the movie, but man it just sucks to not have one fucking DC movie that has a general "liked" consensus so every fucking thread I go into doesn't devolve into a meme fest for the next year.

But see that's what you're most worried about. Sure it's nice to have something you like being well received, but if you're more worried about how people on a forum view you for liking a movie.

I do think there needs to be a better job done in those threads for people who genuinely want to talk about the movie. Too often the devolve into troll/meme feasts that add nothing to the conversation.

Boke1879

But that is the problem, when money and greed overpowers great story telling. Unfortunately, art is not art anymore, it's a product.

If all WB said to Ayer was just make a PG13 movie. Honestly he should be able to do it and it should work.

That said I'll see the movie for myself and judge. I never expected this movie to break the Earth or do something different. I expected action, and movie that competently made even the plot is basic as hell.

I ask again. What's the consensus on what's wrong with this movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom