• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
But see that's what you're most worried about. Sure it's nice to have something you like being well received, but if you're more worried about how people on a forum view you for liking a movie.

I do think there needs to be a better job done in those threads for people who genuinely want to talk about the movie. Too often the devolve into troll/meme feasts that add nothing to the conversation.
Yep, I'm 100% guilty of wanting other people to like what I like. I have no problems admitting that. I will never force anyone to like what I like or be mean to them for having an opposing viewpoint, but it gets really frustrating to try and talk about MoS, BvS, and now SS without having some fuckwad chime in with shit drive by posts and derail everything. Nothing is ever done to stop them from doing so, which means the only place we can talk about it is in this thread which is just an echo chamber of people liking the same stuff. It's hard to get a really great in depth opposing viewpoint in this thread (through no fault of anyone here), compared to the OT forum. But again, you start to get a great conversation going and BAM! Evans laughing meme quoted 5 times in a row.

Ninjimbo

Those films were also rated R.
Exactly. I don't have a ton of experience with Suicide Squad but the books that I've read made it clear to me that any film adaptation would have to be rated R. They're supposed nasty and kinda schlocky. When I heard the movie was PG-13, not gonna lie, I got kinda down. Compromises were being made to make sure it fell inside the Hollywood Blockbuster mold.

I imagine I'll have more to say once I finally see the movie. Right now, I'm just really curious to watch it.

Boke1879

Yep, I'm 100% guilty of wanting other people to like what I like. I have no problems admitting that. I will never force anyone to like what I like or be mean to them for having an opposing viewpoint, but it gets really frustrating to try and talk about MoS, BvS, and now SS without having some fuckwad chime in with shit drive by posts and derail everything. Nothing is ever done to stop them from doing so, which means the only place we can talk about it is in this thread which is just an echo chamber of people liking the same stuff. It's hard to get a really great in depth opposing viewpoint in this thread (through no fault of anyone here), compared to the OT forum. But again, you start to get a great conversation going and BAM! Evans laughing meme quoted 5 times in a row.

Yes and that's why I said more needs to be done to stop shit like that in those threads, because that doesn't foster conversation. It's literally there to derail and make fun of people.

So far I really don't know what the smoking gun is about what's wrong with the movie. Some say it has no "soul". Some say pacing issues. And some say a weak plot.

Penguin

Exactly. I don't have a ton of experience with Suicide Squad but the books that I've read made it clear to me that any film adaptation would have to be rated R. They're supposed nasty and kinda schlocky. When I heard the movie was PG-13, not gonna lie, I got kinda down. Compromises were being made to make sure it fell inside the Hollywood Blockbuster mold.

I imagine I'll have more to say once I finally see the movie. Right now, I'm just really curious to watch it.

I honestly don't think it needed to be R

The Squad isn't necessarily violent and brutual.

I mean the reason they work for the Squad is because mostly kind of losers who got caught and can't break out.

It's more like a rag tag team of villains who luck their way through a mission while trying to save their own necks.

It doesn't need to be too gorey or even harsh language for that to work.

Ninjimbo

So far I really don't know what the smoking gun is about what's wrong with the movie. Some say it has no "soul". Some say pacing issues. And some say a weak plot.
I think Travers and Roeper reviews put it into proper perspective. It's the movie being limp dicked, lol. Like, you have all these unique characters at your disposal and you give them the most hackneyed stories or you don't use them at all.

Seriously, read Roeper's review. It's good. I wonder if he's seen BvS UE. He liked BvS.

hamchan

I really overestimated what I thought this movie could get. Thought third time's the charm for the DCEU but I guess not.

If all WB said to Ayer was just make a PG13 movie. Honestly he should be able to do it and it should work.

That said I'll see the movie for myself and judge. I never expected this movie to break the Earth or do something different. I expected action, and movie that competently made even the plot is basic as hell.

I ask again. What's the consensus on what's wrong with this movie?

I know. I have tickets for Thursday and Friday with the wife, we have bought a bunch of merch already as we loved what we have seen visually already. I don't know why I'm bummed or even trying to figure out what's wrong with a movie I haven't even seen myself. I don't know why I care that a majority of critics didn't like it.

I guess I do, it's money. If these movie don't make the money that other movies in the same genre, the greedy studios will probably pull the plug on future movies filled with characters I love. In reality, I liked MoS, BvS. I really liked them more than most of Marvels output and I know that puts me in the minority but it's true. I have a life long investment in DCs characters and the Avengers really don't do it for me.

I'm probably going to go see it, love it, question the majority. Ask myself why I'm different than the majority, question is the majority right and am I wrong? Do I have bad taste? Ultimately I won't care, go on with my life, roll my eyes at future threads and post leading up to the next DC movie where hype will ravel me back in and I'll care too much and repeat the cycle.

Boke1879

I think Travers and Roeper reviews put it into proper perspective. It's the movie being limp dicked, lol. Like, you have all these unique characters at your disposal and you give them the most hackneyed stories or you don't use them at all.

Seriously, read Roeper's review. It's good. I wonder if he's seen BvS UE. He liked BvS.

So their problem is that they feel these characters are held back in some capacity?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I know. I have tickets for Thursday and Friday with the wife, we have bought a bunch of merch already as we loved what we have seen visually already. I don't know why I'm bummed or even trying to figure out what's wrong with a movie I haven't even seen myself. I don't know why I care that a majority of critics didn't like it.

I guess I do, it's money. If these movie don't make the money that other movies in the same genre, the greedy studios will probably pull the plug on future movies filled with characters I love. In reality, I liked MoS, BvS. I really liked them more than most of Marvels output and I know that puts me in the minority but it's true. I have a life long investment in DCs characters and the Avengers really don't do it for me.

I'm probably going to go see it, love it, question the majority. Ask myself why I'm different than the majority, question is the majority right and am I wrong? Do I have bad taste? Ultimately I won't care, go on with my life, roll my eyes at future threads and post leading up to the next DC movie where hype will ravel me back in and I'll care too much and repeat the cycle.
YUP! I'm the exact way. Though I may like the Marvel stuff a bit more than you. But Batman is my guy.

IconGrist

Do you have word on the positives? Is the action good?

Hard to say. A lot of the reviews seem to be more focused on viral taglines. The only true positives come from liking the characters but even that changes depending on the reviewer. I haven't seen every review but the ones I've taken a look at were written by people who use terms like "cringe" and "try-hard" so not a lot of depth. The ones comparing 10 minutes of Leto to Ledger's go irritate me. I'm curious what Ledger Joker looks like if I cut out 95% of his screen time.

duckroll

Real talk, is there any hope for DC fans to get feel good validation from critics at thos point? Maybe it's time to just embrace reality like us Bayformers fans. :)

That's the disappointment for me. Either mentioned it in this thread or the review thread, it's sharing my problems with X-Men Apocalypse. Sounds as if it's filtered through the safe blockbuster mold that Marvel Studios often employs, but not as well. Ayer can be a bold writer and filmmaker and the concept is ripe to be ambitious. That it's not, allegedly, is a bummer.

Boke1879

I said this when Batman v Superman came out. I'm not a hard guy to please. Neither is the general movie audience really. The thing is you're dealing with people who have consumed this material for YEARS. So you have expectations on how things should go.

Like honestly from what I've seen pacing, editing. Doesn't really bother me and I wonder how jarring it truly is. That's why I need to watch it for myself. A weak villain is a let down, but outside of the Nolan Trilogy I don't think any CBM has had a really good or memorable villain.

bryanee

Real talk, is there any hope for DC fans to get feel good validation from critics at thos point? Maybe it's time to just embrace reality like us Bayformers fans. :)

lol being a Bayformers fan I've learnt not to even bother reading reviews. If I wanna see it, I will see it and by god if I like it I will fooking like it.

Ninjimbo

I honestly don't think it needed to be R

The Squad isn't necessarily violent and brutual.

I mean the reason they work for the Squad is because mostly kind of losers who got caught and can't break out.

It's more like a rag tag team of villains who luck their way through a mission while trying to save their own necks.

It doesn't need to be too gorey or even harsh language for that to work.
Probably, it's hard to say for sure until I've seen the movie. I get the feeling that Ayer works best in the R rating since he can cut loose with the dialogue and paint a really grimy atmosphere. The Squad might not be violent themselves, but the world they're in doesn't hold back seeing as how the punishment for failing is their heads getting blown off.

But I agree that an R rating isn't necessarily the elixir for a good SS movie. I think it helps though.

So their problem is that they feel these characters are held back in some capacity?
That's what I got basically. They used the words 'disappointment' and 'dull' a lot which means they were envisioning something a bit more crazier.

We'll find out the truth in a few days.

IconGrist

I said this when Batman v Superman came out. I'm not a hard guy to please. Neither is the general movie audience really. The thing is you're dealing with people who have consumed this material for YEARS. So you have expectations on how things should go.

Like honestly from what I've seen pacing, editing. Doesn't really bother me and I wonder how jarring it truly is. That's why I need to watch it for myself. A weak villain is a let down, but outside of the Nolan Trilogy I don't think any CBM has had a really good or memorable villain.

Can't agree with you on the last bit, good buddy. I'm a champion of Zod and Lex.

That's why I love MoS. Zod was fucking fantastic.

Penguin

Personally, I don't need critics to feel validated

What I do need is a break from all the constant Chris Evans memes and images. That gets old and annoying PAINFULLY quickly.

I've accepted that fate after BvS reviews. Glad I saw the movie before reviews hit, it seemed way blown out of proportion. Just enjoy the movie, or don't. Why let critics spoil it for you?

Boke1879

Can't agree with you on the last bit, good buddy. I'm a champion of Zod and Lex.

That's why I love MoS. Zod was fucking fantastic.

Ok ok. You guys are right. Zod was pretty good..

Probably, it's hard to say for sure until I've seen the movie. I get the feeling that Ayer works best in the R rating since he can cut loose with the dialogue and paint a really grimy atmosphere. The Squad might not be violent themselves, but the world they're in doesn't hold back seeing as how the punishment for failing is their heads getting blown off.

But I agree that an R rating isn't necessarily the elixir for a good SS movie. I think it helps though.

That's what I got basically. They used the words 'disappointment' and 'dull' a lot which means they were envisioning something a bit more crazier.

We'll find out the truth in a few days.

But see that's what I kinda find issue with. If the stories and characters worked within the context of the movie it shouldn't be an issue. Like the movie is how we're being introduced to said characters. Not what my preconceived notion of the character should be. If that makes sense.

You're right. We'll see in a couple of days.

Tabby

You know what I realized? DC movie fans are like lifelong Arsenal fans.
More like a Newcastle fan. Used to have glory days but recently it's just been mismanaged and disappointment but now we find ourselves with new found hope in Geoff Johns and Rafa.

Could be worse, you could be a DC fan and a Newcastle fan, like me.

The misery is unending.
A fellow Newcastle fan in here? Oh hey :)

IconGrist

The only truly awful movie I've seen in the last year was Goosebumps. Nothing has come close to that pile of poop so far. Granted, I haven't seen the new F4 movie yet.

Hoping that the Batfleck flick is taut, dialogue-based, and bold at this point.

Honestly starting to think that failure of the DCEU is biting off more than they can chew. Yeah, as a DC buff I'm losing my mind with all these characters, references and set up for EVEN MORE cool shit down the line, but it's clear it isn't being executed well enough for others outside of that demo.

This is two movies in a row being bogged down by pacing/editing issues now. Granted I haven't seen the movie, so I'm still gonna watch it for myself and I'll probably still dig it but WB needs to produce something tight and consistent throughout.

Not even getting into complaints of the lackluster villain and the free pass seemingly given to Marvel antagonists. I'll chalk that up to critics just happening to reach their breaking point on that type of 3rd act/villain just as SS happens to make the mistake of leaning on that (which yeah, I'm hyped and I like SS but I find that shit lame anywhere). If Doctor Strange drops and Mads turns out to be weakly written and no one says a peep then yeah, things are fucked.

jmood88

I've accepted that fate after BvS reviews. Glad I saw the movie before reviews hit, it seemed way blown out of proportion. Just enjoy the movie, or don't. Why let critics spoil it for you?
Because people who haven't already convinced themselves that they're going to like the movie don't feel like throwing money and time away on something that could be a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom