• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingi70

Banned
You know you guys can like both DC and Marvel, and still like.movies other people don't.

Like man it's just Review score, who knows if the GA will like the movie, and even if they don't who cares.

BadAss2961

Real talk, is there any hope for DC fans to get feel good validation from critics at thos point? Maybe it's time to just embrace reality like us Bayformers fans. :)
They passed all the Marvel movies, so their validation means nothing to me.

Only part that sucks is how this will affect box office.

Penguin

You know you guys can like both DC and Marvel, and still like.movies other people don't.

Like man it's just Review score, who knows if the GA will like the movie, and even if they don't who cares.

I think it's an easy (lazy) comparison to make.

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think ever compared the reactions to the two universes (review wise) on the site. Marvel does what Marvel does well for the most part. DC does what DC does... to varying degrees.

They both have their plusses and minuses, but rather they both co-existed in the space and fans enjoy what they do without tearing down one side

Boke1879

I'll admit it sucks that reviews are down on the movie. Because mostly I think they do more to decrease turnout. and of course many of us want more movies in this universe. That said I gotta watch it for myself. I'm sure I'll find enjoyment. I mean loved BvS and loved the UC cut of it as well.

I don't expect to go in loving every aspect of any movie, but I do want to have a good time and enjoy what I watch. If I can do that I'm good.

a916

Come on... obviously at the end of the day it's up the viewer to decide what he thinks.

But to ignore what could happen if these movies continue to review poorly after BvS failed to hit 1B is foolish. This isn't conducive to a long term healthy franchise for them to keep bombing critically because the audience will only put up with the novelty of these new characters for so long.

IconGrist

I dunno man, some people in that it thread are acting like it's the end of the world.

It can be hard not to get caught up in the whirlwind. I've seen people call this thread a "safe place" where we can hide from the big bad meanies who tell it like it is but a lot of us have been just as critical as anyone else. We just manage to do it without resorting to a flood of memes and gifs and telling each other we have shit opinions (well, not in a hostile way at least, lol). But when you're in a thread like the SS review thread where every other poster is posting Chris Evans gifs and whatnot you can sort of feel like you're being personally attacked even if that wasn't the intention. Some people just have an easier time ignoring it.

Because people who haven't already convinced themselves that they're going to like the movie don't feel like throwing money and time away on something that could be a waste.

That's fair. But if you have time and money, why not give it a go? Could be a waste, could be great.

Boke1879

Come on... obviously at the end of the day it's up the viewer to decide what he thinks.

But to ignore what could happen if these movies continue to review poorly after BvS failed to hit 1B is foolish. This isn't conducive to a long term healthy franchise for them to keep bombing critically because the audience will only put up with the novelty of these new characters for so long.

No I agree. Something has GOT to give, but I think the changes already started. When the shakeups started happening. SS was pretty much done so nothing major was really going to change.

WW still imo looks to be the best movie of the bunch simply because it's HER movie for the most part. It's not setting up some world it's just her movie

Busty

Banned
I have a feeling that this critical backlash isn't going to affect the opening numbers of this film one iota.

The teenagers and general Hot Topic audience (I need to stop using Hot Topic given that my only reference to the shop is that episode of South Park) in general have been 'keeping their powder dry' all summer waiting for this film.

It's possible that this could have a BvS esque second weekend drop but the first weekend is going to absolutely crush it regardless.

Boke1879

That's fair. But if you have time and money, why not give it a go? Could be a waste, could be great.

Reviews imo are for fence sitters. People who may want to see it but don't want to spend that extra money. If you were already invested before these reviews why not go see it? At least form your own opinion.

IconGrist

I have a feeling that this critical backlash isn't going to affect the opening numbers of this film one iota.

The teenagers and general Hot Topic audience (I need to stop using Hot Topic given that my only reference to the shop is that episode of South Park) in general have been 'keeping their powder dry' all summer waiting for this film.

It's possible that this could have a BvS esque second weekend drop but the first weekend is going to absolutely crush it regardless.

OW will be fine. It's the drop off from the following week that will tell tales.

Anth0ny

Reviews imo are for fence sitters. People who may want to see it but don't want to spend that extra money. If you were already invested before these reviews why not go see it? At least form your own opinion.

you think that

but I already saw a bunch of posts in OT about how "I was so excited to watch this, now I guess I'll just wait til it's on HBO"

not sure if they're bullshitting but reviews and word of mouth have so much power in the era of social media it's not even funny

Boke1879

yea it might deter a few walk ups on OW but it's still Summer and it's still a blockbuster movie. OW will be fine. It's just what happens beyond which is unknown. Again word of mouth will have to be positive but with reviews out it's shaped the narrative. So we'll see.

Tabby

you think that

but I already saw a bunch of posts in OT about how "I was so excited to watch this, now I guess I'll just wait til it's on HBO"

not sure if they're bullshitting but reviews and word of mouth have so much power in the era of social media it's not even funny
Obviously they weren't excited in the first place if random critics can sway them. There's a lot of sheeps in that thread.

Boke1879

you think that

I'm sure those are genuine opinions but I don't think that's the norm especially if the tracking numbers remain high.

you think that

This. I've skipped a good number of movies this year due to mixed to negative reviews and word of mouth. I'm a huge Bourne fan, however I decided to skip it after the mixed response. I'll check it out on blu-ray. I find myself doing this more and more.

I still plan to see Suicide Squad on Thursday, but if I didn't have a group of people to head out to the theater with, it might be a different story.

But for real tho, still gonna see/hyped for Squad but I can't believe this summer been booty mostly, with no critical/commercial smash that took you by surprise (unless you count Civil War but..zzzzz).

I guess Beyond could have been it? Supposedly good-great, haven't gotten around to seeing it though which is sucky of me since I enjoyed the first two nutreks and it seems like the movie didn't do too hot at the BO.

Oh well. We still gonna eat with this Dunkirk teaser! Papisito Nolan about to put WB on his back next summer.

Boke1879

This. I've skipped a good number of movies this year due to mixed to negative reviews and word of mouth. I'm a huge Bourne fan, however I decided to skip it after the mixed response. I'll check it out on blu-ray. I find myself doing this more and more.

I still plan to see Suicide Squad on Thursday, but if I didn't have a group of people to head out to the theater with, it might be a different story.

And like I said. It might deter turnout a bit but not largely so. OW will be fine if numbers remain steady until Thursday and this movie does feature very popular characters so we'll see.

Busty

Banned
yea it might deter a few walk ups on OW but it's still Summer and it's still a blockbuster movie. OW will be fine. It's just what happens beyond which is unknown. Again word of mouth will have to be positive but with reviews out it's shaped the narrative. So we'll see.

While the second weekend of 'Skwad' is still an unknown at this point I think the biggest question mark has to be how international audiences will take to this film.

After Deadpool (and BvS which did well outside the US) was a hit internationally it's possible that they are ready for something off kilter like this and of course Will Smith is still a big draw.

you think that

The film industry has always lived on WOM. Social media has only made the practice more immediate with Twitter etc.

Jurassic World has a 71% 'fresh' rating and that film is fucking garbage. The idea that Rotten Tomatoes can truly make or break a film seems to have really only come to be after BvS. Or at least that's the way it feels around GAF at the moment.

jmood88

If I have no interest in a movie and it has bad reviews, then there are a myriad other things I'd rather spend my time and money on. I don't know why that's hard for you to get. It's not like the choice is between watching the movie and sitting in an empty room with nothing to do.

Boke1879

While the second weekend of 'Skwad' is still an unknown at this point I think the biggest question mark has to be how international audiences will take to this film.

After Deadpool (and BvS which did well outside the US) was a hit internationally it's possible that they are ready for something off kilter like this and of course Will Smith is still a big draw.

The film industry has always lived on WOM. Social media has only made the practice more immediate with Twitter etc.

Jurassic World has a 71% 'fresh' rating and that film is fucking garbage. The idea that Rotten Tomatoes can truly make or break a film seems to have really only come to be after BvS. Or at least that's the way it feels around GAF at the moment.

I think the ceiling domestically for this movie is something like $300million considering it hits it's estimated numbers this weekend.

Ninjimbo

I hate the Tomatometer but there's no denying its influence. In a time when it seems like everybody has an opinion, it's handy to have a place that makes up a consensus however flawed and innaccurate it may be. It sucks that genuinely good movies get trashed by that meter.

I was looking to watch something fun for tonight. I have no fun movies. Like I have The Big Lebowski, but that's about it. Oh, and GotG, but I didn't want to watch something comic related today. I need to buy some new Blu-Rays.

Boke1879

If I have no interest in a movie and it has bad reviews, then there are a myriad other things I'd rather spend my time and money on. I don't know why that's hard for you to get. It's not like the choice is between watching the movie and sitting in an empty room with nothing to do.

I think the person you were responding to was under the impression that said person did have interest in seeing the movie.

I mean if you didn't have any interest in seeing the movie none of this matters lol.

IconGrist

I was looking to watch something fun for tonight. I have no fun movies. Like I have The Big Lebowski, but that's about it. Oh, and GotG, but I didn't want to watch something comic related today. I need to buy some new Blu-Rays.

The Google Play Store had the Ocean's Trilogy and Night at the Museum trilogy on sale recently so I bought those. Prime Amy Adams in NatM 2.

jmood88

I think the person you were responding to was under the impression that said person did have interest in seeing the movie.

I mean if you didn't have any interest in seeing the movie none of this matters lol.
The original post of his that I responded to said "enjoy the movie or don't. Why let critics ruin it?". It's the same anti-reviewer nonsense we always see when a movie certain people knew that they would like beforehand ends up getting bad reviews.

Busty

Banned
I think the ceiling domestically for this movie is something like $300million considering it hits it's estimated numbers this weekend.

Possibly. But again if all the 13yo boys take to this film (which they haven't done for any other film this summer) then the critical backlash won't make a difference and they'll go and see it 3 or 4 times regardless.

That could drive the numbers up and then it's a game of who knows.

jmood88

Then the point is moot. I'm not talking about people that have no interest, I'm talking about fence sitters.

Appreciate the hostility though.
Someone is on the fence because the advertising wasn't compelling enough to convince them that they'd likely enjoy the movie, in which case reviews are important.

Boke1879

The original post of his that I responded to said "enjoy the movie or don't. Why let critics ruin it?". It's the same anti-reviewer nonsense we always see when a movie certain people knew that they would like beforehand ends up getting bad reviews.

Ah well my comment was more towards people who are interested but seem down based on reviews. Go see it if you have interest in it. You might like it. You might not.

I don't think anyone who didn't have an interest in the movie would be swayed either way by reviews tbh.

IconGrist

I think the only reviews I find necessary are for electronics. I haven't thought much about it but off the top of my head that's all that came to mind.

I think the only reviews I find necessary are for electronics. I haven't thought much about it but off the top of my head that's all that came to mind.
Well for games to an extent. I was going to get Mighty No. 9 for the Wii U, but since it right Runs terribly I skipped it

Boke1879

Possibly. But again if all the 13yo boys take to this film (which they haven't done for any other film this summer) then the critical backlash won't make a difference and they'll go and see it 3 or 4 times regardless.

That could drive the numbers up and then it's a game of who knows.

Yea we just don't know but this movie does have popular characters in Harley and Joker and whatever capacity Batman is in in the film.

IconGrist

Well for games to an extent. I was going to get Mighty No. 9 for the Wii U, but since it right Runs terribly I skipped it

I guess. I'm not too picky about performance. As long as it isn't crashing every 10 minutes or running like a slide show I'm usually not too bothered by it. That's information I can get from impressions from randos without waiting around for the professionals.

Co4xk-lUAAAsirI.jpg:large
https://www.change.org/p/rottentomatoes-com-shutdown-rotten-tomatoes

I can't believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom