• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks that squad is getting savaged in reviews, plan on seeing it this weekend still. Hope boomer delivers in it.

Still a portion of OT seems to delight in the movie doing badly and props up some boogieman that's not even on GAF. Don't know if it's fanboyism or what.

Boke1879

Yeah, but it makes people say something like "DC fans, amirite?".

Who gives a fuck? Yall put too much stock in what the "internet" thinks man. If you like a movie you just fucking like it. If you don't you don't It's simple.

No one in the real world is going to give two flying fucks that you liked BvS or SS (if you happen to enjoy that)

IconGrist

Who gives a fuck? Yall put too much stock in what the "internet" thinks man. If you like a movie you just fucking like it. If you don't you don't It's simple.

No one in the real world is going to give two flying fucks that you liked BvS or SS (if you happen to enjoy that)

It just adds to an already shitty narrative about DC fans. It invites bullying as well. It's not so much about what the individual thinks.

Boke1879

Sucks that squad is getting savaged in reviews, plan on seeing it this weekend still. Hope boomer delivers in it.

Still a portion of OT seems to delight in the movie doing badly and props up some boogieman that's not even on GAF. Don't know if it's fanboyism or what.

I think both extremes can be bad. DC fans thinking there is some conspiracy and then others just hoping for the movie to fail that they resort to trolling on posting memes and driveby shitposting.

I think something seriously needs to be done about the latter as it just doesn't foster conversation between people that actually want to discuss the movie.

Dude, please understand, this is the environment we're moving and it's poisonous, it's not very fun. I would call it rather frustrating.

Hopefully staying away from GAF lol
I think Ahversus is probably laying low after making that bet with Yeezus to make a "Damaged" avatar but INST gives no fucks, he needs to be unleashed Doomsday style into the SS thread lmao.

I low-key believe shit like this and some stuff posted on the DC Reddit are posted by joke troll characters with no investment in the movies.

What's worse is when it starts to get picked up by others as being serious and furthers that BS that people who like these films believe in shit like Disney paying off critics. Smh.

Cheebo

Banned

BvS being seen as "bad" is not just a internet thing. It had pretty weak legs.

IconGrist

Jeremy Jahns liked it. Called it "a pretty fucking awesome movie." I'm not sure if any of you guys like him or trust his reviews.

I think both extremes can be bad. DC fans thinking there is some conspiracy and then others just hoping for the movie to fail that they resort to trolling on posting memes and driveby shitposting.

I think something seriously needs to be done about the latter as it just doesn't foster conversation between people that actually want to discuss the movie.

That's true, honestly I'm staying off OT for the most part. I don't know if I'll actually like the film or not, but I know there won't be much actual discussion of it in OT.

WW will be really interesting considering it will be the first film where Geoff Johns has a heavy hand in the script/story/production. Seeing as how he's being positioned as the architect after JL, it will be telling.

Boke1879

BvS being seen as "bad" is not just a internet thing. It had pretty weak legs.

I meant "bad" as in some posters here thinking that if you openly say you like DC in public or say you like any of their movies you're seen as a scab on society. That's just not true.

The internet? Sure. It invites the worst in people. Only people on the internet are going to see that dumbass petition. You know what you do? You say it's stupid and move on.

ReiGun

Jeremy Jahns liked it. Called it "a pretty fucking awesome movie." I'm not sure if any of you guys like him or trust his reviews.

Jahns is one of my go-to's, so I should be good.

Yeah, we're definitely looking at a MoS as far as critical opinion goes. I feel like the GA might fall on the side of liking it, given what reviews are saying. Sounds like it's decent movie with some noticeable flaws. Only a few reviews are really eviscerating it, a far cry from BvS, where damn near everyone was calling it a dumpster fire.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Jahns liked it quite a lot. Lets see what those ShmoesBlows rate it along with Stuckmann. He can't possibly give it worse than C+ that he gave BvS.

IconGrist

Yeah, we're definitely looking at a MoS as far as critical opinion goes.

His review was pretty glowing. Mentioned some pacing issues but didn't bother him because he was having fun. Had one major issue about a character action but didn't specify since it's a spoiler-free review. Other than that he rated it as a must see and definite own on blu-ray.

Boke1879

Yeah, we're definitely looking at a MoS as far as critical opinion goes.

And I'll be the first to admit. I loved BvS, MoS and I'll probably enjoy Suicide Squad. But something has to give. These movies are supposed to be events and are supposed to exude hype and push the legacy and the different story arcs forward. I think DC and WB jumped all in way too soon.

As far as this movie goes. Nothing about what I've read indicates to me it's a terrible movie. Has the action been commented on? Only thing that people have said is bad are the pacing, editing, and their personal views on certain characters.

Jahns liked it quite a lot. Lets see what those ShmoesBlows rate it along with Stuckmann. He can't possibly give it worse than C+ that he gave BvS.

Don't know why you're going in on Schmoes. Kristian is a huge fan of Man of Steel, thought BvS was OK, and I haven't seen their reaction to SS.

ReiGun

I think, critically, we're starting to see some fatigue with the genre set in. A lot of reviews are calling it "More of the same."

Not to say that the movie probably doesn't have it's flaws. But I do think we're hitting that point where some critics are definitely tired of this subgenre and a movie has to really impress by either being super sound and tight, or doing something that feels fresh for those folks to look favorably on it.

I think Ahversus is probably laying low after making that bet with Yeezus to make a "Damaged" avatar but INST gives no fucks, he needs to be unleashed Doomsday style into the SS thread lmao.

Nah, he didn't make that bet with me, I made a bet with Icon sayin if SS scores less than Bvs he has to change his avy to Chris evans laughing hahaha

Honestly I never, ever imagined it could come true, let alone have a solid chance at doing so

IconGrist

Don't know why you're going in on Schmoes. Kristian is a huge fan of Man of Steel, thought BvS was OK, and I haven't seen their reaction to SS.

I'm more interested in Schnepp. Liked Man of Steel. Hated Batman v Superman. Liked Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut. Suicide Squad ????

Nah, he didn't make that bet with me, I made a bet with Icon sayin if SS scores less than Bvs he has to change his avy to Chris evans laughing hahaha

Honestly I never, ever imagined it could come true, let alone have a solid chance at doing so

It's still above BvS currently so I'm good so far, lol.

I love that dude. So he liked it?

Yea, he loved it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Grace Randolph is like minutes away from seeing the movie. Says her review will be up around midnight.

I'm more interested in Schnepp. Liked Man of Steel. Hated Batman v Superman. Liked Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut. Suicide Squad ????

Most of the regular on-air personalities at Collider have been high on DC movies at best and indifferent on them at worst - outside of Schnepp hating the theatrical cut of BvS.

Boke1879

I think, critically, we're starting to see some fatigue with the genre set in. A lot of reviews are calling it "More of the same."

Not to say that the movie probably doesn't have it's flaws. But I do think we're hitting that point where some critics are definitely tired of this subgenre and a movie has to really impress by either being super sound and tight, or doing something that feels fresh for those folks to look favorably on it.

I was just thinking this and forget to put it in my previous post. Civil War was a great movie and did exactly what it needed to do and ended a trilogy on a high note. But at some point this bubble IS going to burst. Marvel movies don't do anything new. They are very made and very well produced movies. Marvel movies I think have set expectations and they hit the notes they need to hit which is why people enjoy them.

Corpsepyre

Banned

It's that other guy who pisses me off a lot. Mark. 'I had a really fun time in the theater, liked batman a lot and the action was really well done. 2.5/5'.

Plus, he said he won't be watching the Ultimate Cut of BvS. I mean, OK...Didn't know holding your initial review on such a big pedestal was a thing.

But yeah, Kristian's cool.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Grace Randolph is like minutes away from seeing the movie. Says her review will be up around midnight.
I watched the Collider video this morning about how all the guys were still pumped to see it tonight even with the low RT score. Schnepp is trying to not read anything beforehand so it doesn't influence his take. Can't wait for the show tomorrow to hear his reaction.

IconGrist

It's that other guy who pisses me off a lot. Mark. 'I had a really fun time in the theater, liked batman a lot and the action was really well done. 2.5/5'.

Plus, he said he won't be watching the Ultimate Cut of BvS. I mean, OK...Didn't know holding your initial review on such a big pedestal was a thing.

Yea, not a fan of Ellis. Nothing to do with BvS though. Just rubs me the wrong way. Might be his overly loud talking, lol.

I watched the Collider video this morning about how all the guys were still pumped to see it tonight even with the low RT score. Schnepp is trying to not read anything beforehand so it doesn't influence his take. Can't wait for the show tomorrow to hear his reaction.

They said they might have a spoiler-free review up tonight so I may stick around for that.

Still, he hasn't openly shit on any of them so I don't see the problem. He's generally indifferent about them.

I think not watching the Ultimate Cut is more about finding time. 3 hours is a good chunk of time to carve out for a lot of people.

IconGrist

Still, he hasn't openly shit on any of them so I don't see the problem. He's generally indifferent about them.

I think not watching the Ultimate Cut is more about finding time. 3 hours is a good chunk of time to carve out for a lot of people.

I think he said specifically he wasn't watching because there's no way the UC fixed the things he didn't like. Like the Martha moment.

Faraci had something like "Joker isn't even funny" in his review. Isn't that kinda the point of Joker ?

Although that joke in The Killing Joke at the end really cracked me up.

slow newsday I guess?

There hasn't been a slow news day since Trump started running for office lol.

I dunno, I kinda lowkey believe that part of what we're seeing with the reviews is that... cape comics, and by extension cape comic book movies, kind of rely on a certain level of investment in the 'verse, right? I'm a big DC guy; I'll excuse a mediocre book or series because it involves characters, places, and so on that I enjoy reading about. The same is true for Marvel readers. You overlook and downplay faults because it's part of something you love.

That investment exists in a lot of people, reviewers included, for Marvel; they see the mediocre entries because they're Marvel movies, not because of some intrinsic merit, and they enjoy and recommend them to people because of the same. The investment does not exist for DC. A lot of that is on WB, starting the 'verse out with MoS and following it up with BvS, both very divisive (and, admittedly, flawed) movies, didn't create the same kind of automatic connection that IM did. There's also the "Marvel came first" factor, people got introduced to these big-budget shared-universe comic book movies with them, after all. They set the standard, they made that first connection. But WB's first steps definitely didn't help them. And they're getting punished now; a movie that's just decent is reviewed much, much more harshly, because a lot of the movie is devoted to stuff the critics couldn't care less about. They're not gonna geek out over JL hints or general DCU references, they don't give a damn about the DCEU. Just the way things are. No conspiracy needed.

Boke1879

Faraci had something like "Joker isn't even funny" in his review. Isn't that kinda the point of Joker ?

Joker can be funny but that's because of his psychotic tendencies. He's not a comedian by any means. Faraci probably just didn't like the actor or take on this Joker. Just like he didn't like Ben and Batman.

Corpsepyre

Banned

He said that? OK. Gives you a hint as to the credibility of the person and if he's ever read a Joker story. He's called The Joker, so he's gotta be funny, right?

WhiteWolf

Yea, not a fan of Ellis. Nothing to do with BvS though. Just rubs me the wrong way. Might be his overly loud talking, lol.

They said they might have a spoiler-free review up tonight so I may stick around for that.
Ellis' constant bad jokes just annoy me to no end, even more than Kristian's weird voices and noises. Most of the people on Collider movie talk are annoying to me, but I do appreciate that they provide a lot of daily content in multiple forms of media.

I am kinda bummed that WB just didn't do a live action version of Assult on Arkham. It wasn't perfect and Harley was extremely annoying in it, but I liked the way it had the squad interact with Batman and Joker.

Ellis' constant bad jokes just annoy me to no end, even more than Kristian's weird voices and noises. Most of the people on Collider movie talk are annoying to me, but I do appreciate that they provide a lot of daily content in multiple forms of media.

I am kinda bummed that WB just didn't do a live action version of Assult on Arkham. It wasn't perfect and Harley was extremely annoying in it, but I liked the way it had the squad interact with Batman and Joker.
The more I think about Assault on Arkham, the more I like it. I love the implentation of Joker & Batman. Don't know how the body switcheroo would've worked in a live action movie though.

Boke1879

So do people actually find that Evans laughing gif stuff funny?

When used reasonably. When you're just trying to troll and add nothing to conversation it's annoying, and more needs to be done to get rid of that type of stuff. That type of stuff is going pollute the OT threads and it'll be nothing but memes and shitposting and alienate people that actually want to talk about the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom