• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Yeah, but it makes people say something like "DC fans, amirite?".

I think anyone foolish enough to think that is reserved for DC fans should probably take a deeper look...

Don't know why you're going in on Schmoes. Kristian is a huge fan of Man of Steel, thought BvS was OK, and I haven't seen their reaction to SS.

Kristian liked BvS more than anyone else on that Collider panel lol... come on guys.

It's that other guy who pisses me off a lot. Mark. 'I had a really fun time in the theater, liked batman a lot and the action was really well done. 2.5/5'.

Plus, he said he won't be watching the Ultimate Cut of BvS. I mean, OK...Didn't know holding your initial review on such a big pedestal was a thing.

But yeah, Kristian's cool.

I could have swore but there's a Collider Commentary coming for that BvS UC, so he might be there.

WhiteWolf

I'm really tired of seeing the word "fun" used to describe blockbuster or comic book films and the performances in them. I have no issues with someone not liking a movie, but movies don't have to be "fun" to be enjoyable.

Justice is going to have to introduce 3 members. Don't really have confidence they can pull it off.

But who am I kidding I've been waiting for the Flash to be on the big screen. I'm there Day 1

I'm really tired of seeing the word "fun" used to describe blockbuster or comic book films and the performances in them. I have no issues with someone not liking a movie, but movies don't have to be "fun" to be enjoyable.

I think that fundamentally "fun" is just so vague as to be perfectly meaningless, in a critical sense. Is it funny? Is it thrilling? Is it feel-good? Idk.

Boke1879

I think that fundamentally "fun" is just so vague as to be perfectly meaningless, in a critical sense. Is it funny? Is it thrilling? Is it feel-good? Idk.

I think it's like entertained. Like did you enjoy your ride during the movie even those A+B didn't get executed exactly how it should have?

WW should have it wayyyyy easier because it won't be juggling as much shit, nothing on the level of two titanic characters, multiple members of a team that need set up and their own moments to pop (especially ones played by stars known to want the spotlight...)etc.

The downside is that it's a origin story and TBH those are old asf at this point but WW's should have a lot more going for it since we haven't really seen a origin like her's. I think the biggest thing in the air is probably Gadot. I like her a lot but I don't know if she can carry a movie or how far her acting ability goes, she hasn't been asked to do much at this point TBH.

I think it's like entertained. Like did you enjoy your ride during the movie even those A+B didn't get executed exactly how it should have?

Then say entertaining and state the qualifying factors, dammit.

edit: I really think WW is gonna get savaged like Squad and BvS were, tbh. Blood's in the water at this point.

Boke1879

Honestly don't worry about WW until we get to that point. After SS we'll have about a year before we need to start worrying.

Then say entertaining and state the qualifying factors, dammit.

edit: I really think WW is gonna get savaged like Squad and BvS were, tbh. Blood's in the water at this point.
What's scary is that I am most worried about Wonder Woman because of the behind-the-scenes drama of the script. That's going to be an interesting development but I'm really praying they can pull it off. Realistically though, I'm predicting the lowest tomato review of all the DCEU movies.

Ross61

What's scary is that I am most worried about Wonder Woman because of the behind-the-scenes drama of the script. That's going to be an interesting development but I'm really praying they can pull it off. Realistically though, I'm predicting the lowest tomato review of all the DCEU movies.
Why the lowest?

IconGrist

I'm watching the Doomsday fight (because fuck you I like it). I know narratively the death of Superman wasn't 100% earned but those last few seconds combined with the music are just so good. The imagery, the music. It's fantastic.

Ninjimbo

I'm watching the Doomsday fight (because fuck you I like it). I know narratively the death of Superman wasn't 100% earned but those last few seconds combined with the music are just so good. The imagery, the music. It's fantastic.
I was watching this scene too about an hour ago. It still gets me. Goosebumps all over the place.

Yea I don't recall any behind-the-scenes script drama. The only thing was something about McLaren and WB having a disagreement on certain elements but nothing after Jenkins was brought on board.
Yeah I was more referring to how they just dropped the guy who wrote Peter Pan who also worked on the script. I'm not against that move I'm just worried that they rushed it so much that it might effect the quality of the movie. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
- "You're not a man. Men are brave"
- Proceed to sacrifice self to stop world ending monster.

I think the death was earned in BvS. Part of Clark's arc was showing Batman that he was indeed a man and had humanity.

If the whole fight was as good as that last minute or whatever it would have been awesome but instead that one shot of Batman looking on as WW repeatedly ping pongs off Doomsday is how I felt for most of the fight.

Actually, even though it's a beatdown, Supes taking on Doomsday solo in Metropolis is way better to me than once they get to the dock and the trinity takes him on, outside of maybe WW's attitude/hand cut off moment. I think all the CGI fire and debris brings it down to me. Can't make out shit Captain.

IconGrist

Yeah I was more referring to how they just dropped the guy who wrote Peter Pan who also worked on the script. I'm not against that move I'm just worried that they rushed it so much that it might effect the quality of the movie. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

This is going to sound like one of those "just wait guys the next one will be great" posts but I swear that's not my intention HOWEVER... I think even WB recognizes that Wonder Woman can not be fucked up. It's not just about having a good super hero movie. There's more at stake. An untapped source of revenue that is currently viewed as being unusable. A female led action movie headlined by an unknown non-white actress. This could open up doors for not just WB but other studios as well so I wouldn't be surprised if a close eye is being kept on Wondy's solo outing. Kicking the original writer to the curb. Bringing in Johns. It feels like WB is being extra careful here. It's likely to result in Wondy being an outstanding movie. But it will have more to prove now.

Ahasverus

Wonder Woman is unfuckable. That said, so was Suicide Squad.. And BvS.. And MoS. I still stand by it being good.l HOWEVER, I suddenly have a good feeling about Justice League. Could be just Stockholm syndrome however. I still love you and will never leave you
unless they ban me.

Boke1879

Well I hope everyone at least calmed down a bit. Reviews were less than ideal, but if you were interested in seeing the movie before you should still check it out.

To me it sounds like many enjoyed it and it seems others couldn't look past the flaws. Go in a judge for yourself. Hope that this is a fun 2 hour ride to cap off this summer.

Ahasverus

Well I hope everyone at least calmed down a bit. Reviews were less than ideal, but if you were interested in seeing the movie before you should still check it out.
It's funny because the review thread is lots of taunting posts, lots of Chris Evans, and actually nobody there is fighting anything, it's just one side trying to mock somebody that it's simply not there. We don't care anymore lol

Boke1879

It's funny because the review thread is lots of taunting posts, lots of Chris Evans, and actually nobody there is fighting anything, it's just one side trying to mock somebody that it's simply not there. We don't care anymore lol

Good. I hope people just move on. If you want to see it go see it. If not don't worry about it.

I'll probably like the movie, but I have no problem pointing out obvious flaws.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shame it appears they didn't stick with the tone of the original comic con reveal. Dark, oppressive and hints of black humour.

This whole humour and "fun" thing is a God damn plague, as if there is only one way to make these movies.

IconGrist

I say keep the budgets reasonable but make the movie you want to make. Even if they aren't well received people can at least respect you sticking to your guns.

Ahasverus

Good. I hope people just move on. If you want to see it go see it. If not don't worry about it.

I'll probably like the movie, but I have no problem pointing out obvious flaws.
That's how it should be. The day the BvS reviews hit I was fuming, I was actually, legit depressed like, wtf, it was nothing that affected my life and I was here just in a total real life meltdown. Ha. Now, after enjoying BvS UC as much as I did, just came to the conclusion that I just love the fact that my favorite characters are being portrayed in interesting, unexpected ways. Flawed? You bet it, but I don't care. There's lots to love if you look hard enough.

Or maybe I'm just damaged.

Boke1879

I say keep the budgets reasonable but make the movie you want to make. Even if they aren't well received people can at least respect you sticking to your guns.

This is definitely how it should be going forward. Do we have a budget for SS? Outside of paying Will I can't see it being too bad. Nothing they can't recoup.

That's how it should be. The day the BvS reviews hit I was fuming, I was actually, legit depressed like, wtf, it was nothing that affected my life and I was here just in a total real life meltdown. Ha. Now, after enjoying BvS UC as much as I did, just came to the conclusion that I just love the fact that my favorite characters are being portrayed in interesting, unexpected ways. Flawed? You bet it, but I don't care. There's lots to love if you look hard enough.

Or maybe I'm just damaged.

Yea I just don't care. Too many people I think feel they'll be looked at like a leper if they go and buy a ticket to see the movie on friday.

Honestly even if it's bad at least you know, and your life keeps on moving.

This is going to sound like one of those "just wait guys the next one will be great" posts but I swear that's not my intention HOWEVER... I think even WB recognizes that Wonder Woman can not be fucked up. It's not just about having a good super hero movie. There's more at stake. An untapped source of revenue that is currently viewed as being unusable. A female led action movie headlined by an unknown non-white actress. This could open up doors for not just WB but other studios as well so I wouldn't be surprised if a close eye is being kept on Wondy's solo outing. Kicking the original writer to the curb. Bringing in Johns. It feels like WB is being extra careful here. It's likely to result in Wondy being an outstanding movie. But it will have more to prove now.
I'm pulling for this too. Let's be real, if this thing is a critical/commercial smash it will be a huge boon for WB. It honestly might be the most important CBM since this wave started because while there will always be Batman and Spider-Man movies, the same can't be said for female-led CBMs.

Rooster12

WW should have it wayyyyy easier because it won't be juggling as much shit, nothing on the level of two titanic characters, multiple members of a team that need set up and their own moments to pop (especially ones played by stars known to want the spotlight...)etc.

I have no idea why they decided to put so many members into SS in its first movie.

All they really need is 4 and go from there.

Deadshot, Enchantress, Croc, Boomerang and go up against Harley and Joker...that's all you need.

The story writes itself.

Honestly, this whole constant need to have "fun" in films is why we end up getting summers full of dog shit blockbusters like we did this year. Reading through the Squad review thread, I'm seeing people's favorite films this whole year are Deadpool, Civil War, and Jungle Book. If you broaden your horizons just a little, you'll find some way more creative, original, and engaging stuff. This requirement for every big budget film to be FUN is industry poison, in my opinion, and WB made the wrong choice adding cringey jokes to their films. If this is the direction WB are going to take moving forward, I guess I'll start skipping DC films as well. I can get fuckall humor out of every Seth Rogen film; no need to see some of my favorite characters be turned into cringe machines.

Ninjimbo

The one thing Wonder Woman has going for it, at least for me, is that the story is by Snyder and he's producing it. Snyder isn't a good writer by any means but he has great ideas. Hopefully Johns and Jenkins are able to realize them. Also, because Snyder's company is behind, WB fuckery won't get too in the way. Gadot already said that WW was a dark story.

That said, 45% for Wonder Woman with main criticisms being too dark. :p

Bleepey

Why are DCCU so divisive? It's insane. Jesus Patty Jenkins must be shitting herself from the pressure. If she pulls it off, you can see the headlines now, it takes a woman to do a man's job. That said if she flops...

Boke1879

Come on guys can you not worry about WW. It's a year before it's release. You got SS on Friday, Dr. Strange and Rogue One later this year. We can worry about WW when it's closer to release.

ReiGun

Patty already had to carry the "proving women can headline major blockbusters," "proving women can direct major blockbusters," and "first Wonder Woman film" stones on her back. Add "save the DCEU" to that and...whew.

Wonder Woman has to be stellar and perform as such or it's not gonna make it.

Boke1879

WW just needs to be a good movie. You guys are putting unrealistic expectations. Just hope it's a good movie is all. That alone will go a long way.

WhiteWolf

Shame it appears they didn't stick with the tone of the original comic con reveal. Dark, oppressive and hints of black humour.

This whole humour and "fun" thing is a God damn plague, as if there is only one way to make these movies.
I wish they did that too, but you have all these critics who say that the "grim" parts are the worst parts of the film.

I would love it if WB says, "fuck it" and triples down on the grim tone for the Batman solo. Just to piss off everyone, have Batman murder someone in the very first scene as they plead for mercy Tim Burton style.

Can y'all imagine if WW has the goods tho.

I don't know if people are ready. Snyder and Ayer are gonna look like total doofuses lmao. Marvel too for failing to bring a female superhero or director to the screen for so long.

WB will probably lock Jenkins into a life long contract. It has the potential to be the golden standard for BOTH the DCEU and all female led CBMs. Fuck why can't it be coming out this year haha.

Dead

well not really...yet
I wish they did that too, but you have all these critics who say that the "grim" parts are the worst parts of the film.

I would love it if WB says, "fuck it" and triples down on the grim tone for the Batman solo. Just to piss off everyone, have Batman murder someone in the very first scene as they plead for mercy Tim Burton style.
Better to make a film with an edge that pleases half the audience rather than the dull please everyone formula being shit out by others. The latter leads to nothing more than forgettable formulaic product.

Boke1879

Better to make a film with an edge that pleases half the audience rather than the dull please everyone formula being shit out by others. The latter leads to nothing more than forgettable formulaic product.

Ok but how do you know this isn't going to please the audience? This movie was always going to be a "safe" movie. Good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom