• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the noise the film would generate from content starved women would be huge. Y'all saw how hyped people got for Mad Max and how receptive the general audience (that saw it lmao) where to Furiousa. People want and having been wanting this shit for a longgggg time.

Justice League footage view count: 20 mill

WW trailer count: 22 mill.

Feed us mommy Gadot.

guek

Banned
I'm watching the Doomsday fight (because fuck you I like it). I know narratively the death of Superman wasn't 100% earned but those last few seconds combined with the music are just so good. The imagery, the music. It's fantastic.

That fight was alright, I just wish Snyder had cut all that electrical shit. It made it hard to see. I didn't even mind the atomic farts (though Batman hiding behind a broken wall while buildings are obliterated behind him is wonky stuff), it's just that yellow garbage everywhere got in the way.

That fight was alright, I just wish Snyder had cut all that electrical shit. It made it hard to see. I didn't even mind the atomic farts (though Batman hiding behind a broken wall while buildings are obliterated behind him is wonky stuff), it's just that yellow garbage everywhere got in the way.

Why is it so many villians in comic book movies are basically walking electrical storms? So stupid.

Ahasverus

Am I.. agreeing with you?

Tabby

I'm watching the Doomsday fight (because fuck you I like it). I know narratively the death of Superman wasn't 100% earned but those last few seconds combined with the music are just so good. The imagery, the music. It's fantastic.

Man that fight was disappointing as hell. I couldn't see shit. Just CGI fire and smoke.

Ninjimbo

Why is it so many villians in comic book movies are basically walking electrical storms? So stupid.
Yesterday I was caught in the middle of a lightning storm and I was scared as shit. Seeing lightning strike just a few miles away from where you and then hearing the ensuing thunder clap is some otherworldly type of stuff. It's an incredible amount of power at display from nature. Maybe that's what they're going for with all the electricity.

Yesterday I was caught in the middle of a lightning storm and I was scared as shit. Seeing lightning strike just a few miles away from where you and then hearing the ensuing thunder clap is some otherworldly type of stuff. It's an incredible amount of power at display from nature. Maybe that's what they're going for with all the electricity.

I guess but that's like, nature. Not a humanoid, bipedal entity that just fucks your shit up with electricity.

I thought the Doomsday fight was good, it was like he was powering up to SSJ 3 or something.

I thought this guy (Marc Bernadin) had some interesting thoughts, it's not a review.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 57m57 minutes ago
So, thoughts on #SuicideSquad. Mind you, these are MY OWN. While I am a journalist, I am not a critic for any outlet.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 54m54 minutes ago
There's a really fun 40 minutes at the top of #SuicideSquad, where it feels like Ocean's 11 meets Guardians of the Galaxy. And then...

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 55m55 minutes ago
Then you can watch as #SuicideSquad becomes the movie Zack Snyder hired David Ayer to make: a grim, punishing, humorless urban action movie.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 54m54 minutes ago
For the life of me, I can't understand why these films have to end with CG punching CG standing in front of a CG destroy-a-city machine.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 51m51 minutes ago
Margot Robbie is fun and Will Smith kicks that old Will Smith charm into gear, but it's not in service of much.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 49m49 minutes ago
Jared Leto's Joker is an interesting creation but is totally peripheral to #SuicideSquad's drama, to its detriment.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 46m46 minutes ago
But, hey, #SuicideSquad will make $140 million this weekend, so what I do know? (Except that Warner Bros are ninjas at selling a movie.)

so to address the points in bold :

1. Snyder didn't hire Ayer to do any "grim dark" anything. what kind of point is he trying to make? all the trailers clearly show the movie is not a hijinks filled comedy so what is he expecting?

2. it's a superhero movie. something big and epic always happens. it can't ever be like a regular comic book you aren't going to have a 2 hour movie where Clark Kent goes and buys groceries and does some investigating journalism. it's just not.

3. I expected those two to do well.

4. now here he just sounds bitter, so it's wrong for WB to sell their movie? really?

3N16MA

Banned
Real talk, is there any hope for DC fans to get feel good validation from critics at thos point? Maybe it's time to just embrace reality like us Bayformers fans. :)

Good point.

If you enjoy these DCEU films then enjoy them and don't worry about the critics. It's not like WB/DC is going to close up shop because of bad reviews. DCEU will keep on chugging for at least a few more films at minimum (most likely more). WB will continue to make films based on DC characters for years.

Fans of the Bayformers films don't even bother trying to defend it. They most likely don't care what critics or anyone else says. Paramount keeps pumping them out and they're happy.

WhiteWolf

Look, another writer mentions grim as a negative when it comes to a comic book movie (also used the word "fun" to describe an actor's performance; what does that mean?) Did this dude hate Batman 1989 too? How about Blade or Road to Perdition? Seriously, just because capes are in the movie doesn't mean it needs jokes all the time (or at all).

Boke1879

I'll have to watch the movie first before I pass judgement on what "fun" they are talking about.

That said the comments about Snyder hiring Ayer and all that is really odd.

guek

Banned
It just occurred to me how odd it was that we had so much scrutiny over Gal Gadot's physicality when she was cast as Wonder Woman but I didn't see a peep about Brie Larson's body after the Captain Marvel casting.

I guess Carol Danvers is neither the feminist power icon nor nearly as physically imposing as Wonder Woman is traditionally portrayed so she doesn't have to live up to such lofty expectations. Still, I'm surprised there wasn't more body shaming on gaf with Larson.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, I'm still excited to see Suicide Squad. And WWI with Wonder Woman is going to pull me in either way.

But I really think it's pointless to debate and challenge people over the DCEU and MCU, people are going to believe what they are going to believe. I like both and can respect people who dislike their movies. I wish we could get along.

Dead

well not really...yet
It just occurred to me how odd it was that we had so much scrutiny over Gal Gadot's physicality when she was cast as Wonder Woman but I didn't see a peep about Brie Larson's body after the Captain Marvel casting.

I guess Carol Danvers is neither the feminist power icon nor nearly as physically imposing as Wonder Woman is traditionally portrayed so she doesn't have to live up to such lofty expectations. Still, I'm surprised there wasn't more body shaming on gaf with Larson.
Anti-Semitism

Ashhong

One difference is Brie is a great actor and is generally well liked. Gal was a relative unknown with small parts in which she barely acted. People like to pretend they are impartial but they're really not.

Also Brie isn't quite as skinny is she? When Gal first got casted she was skin and bones

guek

Banned
Anti-Semitism

You think? Maybe. I guess the whole body shaming angle for Gadot started with enthusiast press expressing dissatisfaction so it's possible you're right. Was the Gadot hate train sparked by Campea?

One difference is Brie is a great actor and is generally well liked. Gal was a relative unknown with small parts in which she barely acted. People like to pretend they are impartial but they're really not.

Also Brie isn't quite as skinny is she? When Gal first got casted she was skin and bones

good points

Dead

well not really...yet
You think? Maybe. I guess the whole body shaming angle for Gadot started with enthusiast press expressing dissatisfaction so it's possible you're right. Was the Gadot hate train sparked by Campea?
Well, I don't think it ALL stems from that, but there was/is a pretty palpable sense of anti-semitism coming from a lot of the vitriol spewed her way I think.

Brie being a more experienced actress definitely comes into play too for sure though. Also, Ms Marvel is nowhere near the same level of recognition or importance as Wonder Woman, leading to more...outspoken opinions.

Ahasverus

So, who wants to bet for the possibility of a Damaged Cut coming soon? The editing is alleged to be somewhat of a fiasco. Incredible. This one wouldn't be Ayer sanctioned, but maybe executive sanctioned? I don't even know anymore.

So why does every thread goes to Nolan trilogy sucks territory?

I mean I don't mind if you don't like the Movies, but it is odd that discussion lead to those films. Perhaps they are overrated, but it was nice having a director push the limit on what comic book movies can become narratively.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, who wants to bet for the possibility of a Damaged Cut coming soon? The editing is alleged to be somewhat of a fiasco. Incredible. This one wouldn't be Ayer sanctioned, but maybe executive sanctioned? I don't even know anymore.
In regards to which cut is really Ayer sanctioned or not, I don't think you can take at face value anything he or anyone says really. Ayer isn't going to Trank himself and go "this wasn't my movie." Look at Snyder, he never really complained or made a big deal out of the whole thing, but if you read between the lines of what he said, it was clear which cut he preferred, while not outright disowning the theatrical cut.

So for all we know, this cut could be nothing like Ayers true cut, or maybe it was his full vision. There's no way to know.

I personally don't think we will see one, but time will tell. I haven't seen the movie, but it's certainly disheartening to hear some of the darker elements were toned down, if not outright cut.

BadAss2961

So why does very thread goes to Nolan trilogy sucks territory?

I mean I don't mind if you don't like the Movies, but it is odd that discussion lead to those films. Perhaps they are overrated, but it was nice having a direct push the limit on what comic book movies can become narratively.
Nolan did his thing. The trilogy deserves most the praise it gets.

It's BvS that's just criminally underrated. Pretty sure I prefer the Ultimate Cut to Begins and TDKR. More rewatchable.

strafer

So guys, I'm going away for about a week and a half, I don't expect to be on GAF that much, I might check but not post, so if you see me post something rude about someone or make a general weird comment that doesnt fit me, it's not me.

It's okay to miss me.

Loxley

So why does every thread goes to Nolan trilogy sucks territory?

I mean I don't mind if you don't like the Movies, but it is odd that discussion lead to those films. Perhaps they are overrated, but it was nice having a director push the limit on what comic book movies can become narratively.

There's a chunk of GAF that, for whatever reason, has this perpetual hate-boner for the Nolan Batman films. I get disliking TDKR because it has some notable surface-level problems, but as far as superhero films go BB and TDK played a major role in legitimizing the genre beyond just being "kid stuff". They're fantastic examples of what superhero films can be in the right hands.

Honestly, honestly, nobody cares about Captain Marvel. I'm talking those who know of her don't care about her. Vast majority don't know who she is. Heck, Brie Larson didn't know who Captain Marvel was. IMO, that's to Marvel Studio's benefit. They can do what they want with Carol and only an irrelevant tiny group might act upset. Brie is a super charismatic and talented actor and rebuilding Carol in her mold is the best thing that could happen for that movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Marvel has forever tried to make Carol Danvers a thing, and she's never been more than a nothing character. They really do have a blank slate, literally all the character is is a name, so it's a plus for them as you said.

Effect

Batman 1989 and Blade are super fun movies.

I can only imagine what the critic response to those films would be if they'd came out now.

Back to Transformers. One could look at the films in the same way and just enjoy them and not care about the ratings. The flip side of that is people will say the DC films should be more respected then that. I don't disagree but you can't force people to like them. WB isn't going to copy Marvel's template and even then the characters and possible stories might not lend themselves to that.I don't think they would if you're going to be more true to the characters power level wise, action wise, etc. A lot of stuff in the Marvel films is depowered and I think that is why Thor is lacking. Just because Marvel and DC are superhero universes doesn't mean they're the same. There many reasons why someone might prefer Marvel comics over DC comics and the other way around. Sure there is plenty of crossover but there are a lot of people that don't like what the other offers.

Maybe we're just seeing that play out now in the films between critics themselves and fans. However there are only a few critics out there so they get a bigger spotlight however the general audience is vast and that is why MoS and BvS still pulled in the numbers they did.

It's BvS that's just criminally underrated. Pretty sure I prefer the Ultimate Cut to Begins and TDKR. More rewatchable.
Wuuuut. Yo I get the revisionist take on the Nolan trilogy to an extent, the non Batvechicle action was bad for the most part, Baleman's voice was over the top, he was second fiddle in his own movies, not enough detective, retired way too early, lots of plot shenanigans for the villains, Katy Holmes lmao, etc but Begins is only a slight step down from TDK.

I really dig the DCEU, BvS, etc but I can't really say they hold a candle film wise to those movies. This stuff just isn't consistent enough. The highs are pretty damn high tho.

I'd be totally okay if Batfleck's solo flick is like a mix between that and TDK with BvS warehouse style fights. Maybe sprinkle in some of the operatic dialogue from BvS too.

I wanna see Leto Joker with Bats but I'm still pulling for the Court of Owls.

I find Begins to be the best Superhero film. You got bale at his best both serious and funny. Micheal Cain charming as hell and a great cast of supporting characters.
Liam being great.

Even if it does go into comic booky ending in the final act.

It's the dialoug in Nolan films that make then just great in my opinion. I could quote those movies forever

jey_16

Banned
Booked my tickets for tomorrow, still kind of excited....atleast more so compared to BvS where the reviews just killed the hype for me

Dead

well not really...yet
I can only imagine what the critic response to those films would be if they'd came out now.

Back to Transformers. One could look at the films in the same way and just enjoy them and not care about the ratings. The flip side of that is people will say the DC films should be more respected then that. I don't disagree but you can't force people to like them. WB isn't going to copy Marvel's template and even then the characters and possible stories might not lend themselves to that.I don't think they would if you're going to be more true to the characters power level wise, action wise, etc. A lot of stuff in the Marvel films is depowered and I think that is why Thor is lacking. Just because Marvel and DC are superhero universes doesn't mean they're the same. There many reasons why someone might prefer Marvel comics over DC comics and the other way around. Sure there is plenty of crossover but there are a lot of people that don't like what the other offers.

Maybe we're just seeing that play out now in the films between critics themselves and fans. However there are only a few critics out there so they get a bigger spotlight however the general audience is vast and that is why MoS and BvS still pulled in the numbers they did.
The difference between Transformers and MoS is that TF is widely panned across the board on nearly every level, there isn't a dividing line on those movies when looking at critical response, outside the first.

MoS was divisive in the purest sense, with some completely on board with the direction and others totally not. BvS criticism suffered due to the terrible edit of the Theatrical Cut, but I guarantee the Ultimate Cut, or a tighter version of it would still have scored roughly the same as MoS (~55%). Putting aside that there are some flaws on the execution of certain things, these are simply takes on the characters that some people cannot get on board with, and others who are able to. Snyder makes Divisive films, and nothing will change that, or at least we'll have to wait until JL to see if that changes.

Effect

The difference between Transformers and MoS is that TF is widely panned across the board on nearly every level, there isn't a dividing line on those movies when looking at critical response, outside the first.

MoS was divisive in the purest sense, with some completely on board with the direction and others totally not. BvS criticism suffered due to the terrible edit of the Theatrical Cut, but I guarantee the Ultimate Cut, or a tighter version of it would still have scored roughly the same as MoS (~55%). Putting aside that there are some flaws on the execution of certain things, these are simply takes on the characters that some people cannot get on board with, and others who are able to. Snyder makes Divisive films, and nothing will change that, or at least we'll have to wait until JL to see if that changes.

I agree if the Ultimate Edition had released the reviews would have been higher. True the Transformer films were panned across the board. Went back and looked. Thought they were higher.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snyder's take is something I can completely vibe with, and the underlying concepts and themes blow the competition out of the water for me personally, he doesn't stick the landing in a few areas between MoS and DoJ-UC, but the world he set up is by far the most fascinating take on the cape genre in years, the themes are consistent, and the tone mostly unapologetic. The feeling of the works being a personal aesthetic and statement rings throughout. This is the stuff that matters to me in regards to these movies, so one of Suicide Squad's major sins would be if it was a movie that didn't know what to be, with no personal aesthetic feeding the entire movie throughout. Guess I'll see this weekend.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So Grace Randolph hated this movie... Now I don't know what to think, haha. She was all aboard the DC hype train with BvS and Wonder Woman. I'm surprised she has such harsh words for SS.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
1. Snyder didn't hire Ayer to do any "grim dark" anything. what kind of point is he trying to make? all the trailers clearly show the movie is not a hijinks filled comedy so what is he expecting?

2. it's a superhero movie. something big and epic always happens. it can't ever be like a regular comic book you aren't going to have a 2 hour movie where Clark Kent goes and buys groceries and does some investigating journalism. it's just not.

3. I expected those two to do well.

4. now here he just sounds bitter, so it's wrong for WB to sell their movie? really?

Oh come on.

guek

Banned
So Grace Randolph hated this movie... Now I don't know what to think, haha. She was all aboard the DC hype train with BvS and Wonder Woman. I'm surprised she has such harsh words for SS.

My understanding is Grace took the critical backlash personally as though the complaints against the movie were being levied at her for loving the theatrical cut. She doubled down on the ludicrous overreaction by spearheading the "Disney literally bribes critics!!" online campaign with other butthurt fanboys. She became so consumed with asserting that she was right and everyone else was wrong about the theatrical cut that she's adamant it's far and away the superior version of BvS.

I wouldn't pay her too much attention.

Effect

She's primarily a Batman fan. So with BvS, the theater cut, having such a heavy Batman slant she really enjoyed it and likely is why she was so over the moon with the film. The Batman side of the film was what she mainly talked about if I'm remembering correctly. She likes the theater cut of the film over the Ultimate Edition cut of the film and the big difference there is that it has more of Superman and Lois (who she can't stand and she doesn't like Amy Adams either). It's less of a Batman film featuring Superman and is actually a Superman film that has Batman in it. It reversed the focus. She also really didn't care for Man of Steel either I believe. Her overpraise for BvS was always suspect and I think Guek also touched another aspect of it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
My understanding is Grace took the critical backlash personally as though the complaints against the movie were being levied at her for loving the theatrical cut. She doubled down on the ludicrous overreaction by spearheading the "Disney literally bribes critics!!" online campaign with other butthurt fanboys. She became so consumed with asserting that she was right and everyone else was wrong about the theatrical cut that she's adamant it's far and away the superior version of BvS.

I wouldn't pay her too much attention.
Guh? I guess since I don't follow her on Twitter I didn't hear about any of that stuff. I knew she thought critics were being too harsh on BvS, but I don't ever remember her flat out saying critics were bribed or that she refused to review to the Ultimate Cut.

I have a feeling her dislike for SS will be mostly focused on how Harley is treated. She's all about movies not making female leads the object of a guy, especially the Joker. I don't know if her review going up at midnight will be a spoiler one, but I probably won't watch it until after I see the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom