• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Guh? I guess since I don't follow her on Twitter I didn't hear about any of that stuff. I knew she thought critics were being too harsh on BvS, but I don't ever remember her flat out saying critics were bribed or that she refused to review to the Ultimate Cut.

I have a feeling her dislike for SS will be mostly focused on how Harley is treated. She's all about movies not making female leads the object of a guy, especially the Joker. I don't know if her review going up at midnight will be a spoiler one, but I probably won't watch it until after I see the movie.

Yeah she publicly attacked John Campea on twitter for attending the Civil War premier, claiming it was proof he was being bribed in some way. The hilarious part is Campea is one of the biggest defenders of the original cut of BvS on youtube. Despite all that, she never backed down either. It was sad.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah she publicly attacked John Campea on twitter for attending the Civil War premier, claiming it was proof he was being bribed in some way. The hilarious part is Campea is one of the biggest defenders of the original cut of BvS on youtube. Despite all that, she never backed down either. It was sad.
Superhero reviews = serious business

Man, for how much in the loop I am, I'm still so out of the loop.

Ross61

If the critics and audiences are starting to hate the formulaic villain stuff, Justice League is in for some serious trouble. They better have more than just Steppenwolf and the Parademons planned.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I need to sleep too, how does this thread have almost 10 pages more in 8 hours time.

VanWinkle

What I'm thinking is that Suicide Squad is in with that initial Snyder-led DC movie-verse, where he was calling a lot of the shots. I mean, the majority of production of Suicide Squad was done before BvS completely bombed critically. That doesn't excuse that it's bad, seeing as it's still a different director somewhat doing his own thing, but I guess I'm saying I can kind of FORGIVE its problems because of the landscape when it was being made.

I think DC is very likely cutting back Snyder's involvement a lot, hopefully in favor of Geoff Johns, and that you won't feel Snyder's hand much in the movies that weren't so far in production before the BvS Incident. I mean, I just feel like there has to be a reason that the first three DCEU movies came out so poorly - the DC universe doesn't just make for bad movies - and they were all LED by Snyder. Would it be fair to say that the crux of the problem with be with the person who is spearheading this interpretation of the universe? I think so. Though, to be fair, the main complaints about SS aren't its "tone" (something Snyder would have likely had a say in) but its plot, editing, and characters. That's kind of on the director.

What I'm saying is that, even though a part of me is still really worried about these upcoming DCEU movies (hard not to be with the record), I'm hoping DC can shake off this absolute funk it's deeply in and come out with some good, creative, and exciting movies.

Dead

well not really...yet
What I'm thinking is that Suicide Squad is in with that initial Snyder-led DC movie-verse, where he was calling a lot of the shots. I mean, the majority of production of Suicide Squad was done before BvS completely bombed critically. That doesn't excuse that it's bad, seeing as it's still a different director somewhat doing his own thing, but I guess I'm saying I can kind of FORGIVE its problems because of the landscape when it was being made.

I think DC is very likely cutting back Snyder's involvement a lot, hopefully in favor of Geoff Johns, and that you won't feel Snyder's hand much in the movies that weren't so far in production before the BvS Incident. I mean, I just feel like there has to be a reason that the first three DCEU movies came out so poorly - the DC universe doesn't just make for bad movies - and they were all LED by Snyder. Would it be fair to say that the crux of the problem with be with the person who is spearheading this interpretation of the universe? I think so. Though, to be fair, the main complaints about SS aren't its "tone" (something Snyder would have likely had a say in) but its plot, editing, and characters. That's kind of on the director.

What I'm saying is that, even though a part of me is still really worried about these upcoming DCEU movies (hard not to be with the record), I'm hoping DC can shake off this absolute funk it's deeply in and come out with some good, creative, and exciting movies.
The only DC movie not directed by Snyder that he has a major hand in atm is Wonder Woman as it is directly produced by Cruel and Unusual, his production company. Suicide Squad was not, and he only receives executive producer credit (a glorified credit). I see no reason to believe he had any sort of architectural input in SS, aside from Ayer just ensuring the story fit in the timeline.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Man, dude barely touched Suicide Squad and people still blaming him for it. Ayer had full creative control, he pitched the movie to WB. Snyder was too busy with BvS. You guys are going to blame Snyder for fucking up a date or something at this point.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Ninjimbo

Snyder had little if anything at all to do with SS. Snyder was also never put in charge of anything except the films he was directing. He's producing WW but he was finishing BvS and doing pre-production on JL when WW was being shot.

Let's hold off on flinging shit at Snyder please. If the movie is bad, that's on Ayer.

VanWinkle

The only DC movie not directed by Snyder that he has a major hand in atm is Wonder Woman as it is directly produced by Cruel and Unusual, his production company. Suicide Squad was not, and he only receives executive producer credit (a glorified credit). I see no reason to believe he had any sort of architectural input in SS, aside from Ayer just ensuring the story fit in the timeline.

Man, dude barely touched Suicide Squad and people still blaming him for it. Ayer had full creative control, he pitched the movie to WB. Snyder was too busy with BvS. You guys are going to blame Snyder for fucking up a date or something at this point.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Snyder had little if anything at all to do with SS. Snyder was also never put in charge of anything except the films he was directing. He's producing WW but he was finishing BvS and doing pre-production on JL when WW was being shot.

Let's hold off on flinging shit at Snyder please. If the movie is bad, that's on Ayer.

I was under the [obviously misinformed] impression that Snyder was spearheading the DCEU as a whole. That is my mistake.

Speaking of fall guys, I was about to mention Charles Roven, but I forgot WB already shifted him away from producing DC films. If Suicide Squad underperformed I am curious what the response on that end will be. Doubly so if the Harry Potter spin-off doesn't land.

Here's Graces review (non spoiler?) Just started watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShoIuw7pNY

Off to bad start, she pronounces GIF like JIF, booooooooooo!

Wowwww! The filmmaker driven approach might be a huge mistake.

Bad video game writing meets music video lighting/framing (excuse me, actually just multiple music videos with overpowering soundtracks in place of dialogue). From the guy that made Fury not too long ago? Really?

Dead

well not really...yet
Speaking of fall guys, I was about to mention Charles Roven, but I forgot WB already shifted him away from producing DC films. If Suicide Squad underperformed I am curious what the response on that end will be. Doubly so if the Harry Potter spin-off doesn't land.
Yeah, on the other hand Roven's Atlas Entertainment is actually involved in SS just as with all other DC flicks.

jey_16

Banned

I'm really doubtful on fantastic beasts, there doesn't seem to be any hype at all and not many views of the trailers on YouTube. Doesn't seem normal for a Harry Potter film but I could be wrong

Although all the doom and gloom about WB seems over the top, they will probably end the year @ no.2 in the domestic market. Way behind Disney but still doing ok and much better then Sony and Paramount

Dead

well not really...yet
Fantastic Beasts is a shoehorn in for under performance.

The trailers have been literally nothing

Fantastic Beasts looks too weird. Too too weird.

David Yates seemed to go into making it mad at Harry Potter or made the world or mad at color. Where's any of the iconography that will bring in the HP audience? You can flit a barely visible wand, but actually say the damn spell or show an owl or something! Bring up Voldemort or Dumbledore! Do anything!

My point is that Kevin Tsujihara is not in good shape this year.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Fantastic Beasts is a shoehorn in for under performance.

The trailers have been literally nothing

Big Harry Potter fan here, but I see no point in this movies, beside showing England is shit actually and the GOAT of the magic world is murrica!
also I want to make the most money there

IconGrist

Campea liked it. I think we all expected that. Mentioned a lot of the same problems that get thrown around but said he still had a lot of fun despite the obvious flaws.

guek

Banned
Campea liked it. I think we all expected that. Mentioned a lot of the same problems that get thrown around but said he still had a lot of fun despite the obvious flaws.

This is just a hunch but I think most of gaf will think it's an alright movie, just not great. It wont be nearly as divisive as BvS but no one expected that anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
Chris Stuckmann review is up. He gave it a C.

I'm curious what the balance is. BvS = Too much weight, not enough fun. Suicide Squad = Too much fun, not enough weight. It's easy for people to point at the MCU but that's such a non-answer. Is there some quantifiable aspect to it? Do's and don't do's?
Jesus, his comments about the whole 3rd act feeling like it was blatantly re-shot and scenes obviously being cut don't fucking bode well.

It's going to be maddening to think what this movie was before they reshot it.

IconGrist

I don't know if it's just me who follows this guy because I never see this channel mentioned on GAF but the Emergency Awesome review is up too. Overall positive. Had some issues with the plot (or lack thereof).

Jesus, his comments about the whole 3rd act feeling like it was blatantly re-shot and scenes obviously being cut don't fucking bode well.

It's going to be maddening to think what this movie was before they reshot it.

We all know Snyder took the blame for WB's interference with BvS, do you think Ayer did the same? He said WB gave him more money for reshoots but that could have been forced on him and he just didn't want to put them on blast.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, and Schnepp liked it too. Posted his own emoji.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JonSchne...1?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Dead

well not really...yet
We all know Snyder took the blame for WB's interference with BvS, do you think Ayer did the same? He said WB gave him more money for reshoots but that could have been forced on him and he just didn't want to put them on blast.
After the Trank fiasco no way they'd shit on the studio. That dudes career is done.

At this point I'm starting to believe that WB took a knee jerk reaction to all the whining about tone and freaked out on this movie.

If true, my only hope is this backfires on WB and they don't fuck Wonder Woman or interfere anymore with JL...but at this point...

it's no wonder the good directors don't give a shit about comic book movies. even at WB they're getting meddled with by a lot of oversight.

the days of a Nolan bat trilogy are long gone. certain moments of BvS are about as unconstrained as you'll ever get for a while i imagine.

Well, they should adapt the good comics with a lower budget and lower expectations for the box office. Batman would fit for that.

They all trying to break the billion dollars, and that is a mistake.

duckroll

Well, they should adapt the good comics with a lower budget and lower expectations for the box office. Batman would fit for that.

They all trying to break the billion dollars, and that is a mistake.

Warner needs tentpoles though. Maybe if these were licensed to other studios, but right now there's no chance. They're even trying King Kong vs Godzilla. Cmon.

Kong looks kinda wack too tbh. Peter Jackson's movie had a very great looking atmosphere around skull island. this just looks like a middling vietnam war movie (with a giant Gorilla haha). not a fan of the visuals in the trailer honestly

anyways i saw a joker clip on fallon...yeesh. I was actually a big fan of the look they gave Leto but if that clip is indicative of the movie and his performance then what a massive disappointment for the GOAT comic book movie villain. kinda disconcerting that many of the reviews aren't praising him either. talented actor playing joker should always be a home run.

it's no wonder the good directors don't give a shit about comic book movies. even at WB they're getting meddled with by a lot of oversight.

the days of a Nolan bat trilogy are long gone. certain moments of BvS are about as unconstrained as you'll ever get for a while i imagine.

You say that, but we have Coogler and Waititi on Marvel's side, Famuwiya on DC. They aren't Nolan size, but then neither was Nolan when he started.

Boke1879

More and more I'm getting that this probably your typical action film. Plot is weak but if you go in wanting s fun ride you'll probably get it

You say that, but we have Coogler and Waititi on Marvel's side, Famuwiya on DC. They aren't Nolan size, but then neither was Nolan when he started.

I'm only interested in Waititi on the writing side of things tbh. If he has no input on Thor's script i don't really care. Either way I aint going near that until netflix. fool me three times...god damn.

But you got a point on Coogler. Still I don't see something on the level of TDK creatively happening at Marvel but we'll see. Also I didn't really find fruitvale all that good honestly, it was creed that i came away loving from the guy.

ReiGun

It just occurred to me how odd it was that we had so much scrutiny over Gal Gadot's physicality when she was cast as Wonder Woman but I didn't see a peep about Brie Larson's body after the Captain Marvel casting.

I guess Carol Danvers is neither the feminist power icon nor nearly as physically imposing as Wonder Woman is traditionally portrayed so she doesn't have to live up to such lofty expectations. Still, I'm surprised there wasn't more body shaming on gaf with Larson.
Wonder Woman, like Superman, holds this place in pop culture where people are very convinced about what the character should be and should do. Captain Marvel, by comparison, is never going to receive as much scrutiny. Largely because most people don't know who she is, and those that do don't have as much set in ideas of who she should be.

Boke1879

Guys we don't know how much oversight WB had in this movie. I'm sure there was some no doubt. But Ayer clearly took responsibility for everything. He responded to the reshoot rumors when he didn't have to at all.

I'm on my way to work so I can watch but what were Grace's faults with the movie?

I can't wait to go in tomorrow and see for myself. I've just as many people say they like it as opposed to it.

Yager

Banned
Shame about the total lack of Batman action though.

I'm OK with that. If this was a Batman movie then yes, I'll be mad, but I guess he only appears to give that sense of "universe". Same with the Joker, I never expected him to have more than a couple of minutes.

IconGrist

If there's ever a Ultimate Cut or similar to Suicide Squad I will demand that Snyder release the same for Man of Steel. There was at least another 20 or so minutes that didn't make it in the theatrical cut.

Boke1879

That's the only thing I want and expect from this film.

And I never expected anything more from this film. I'm not expecting and event film even though the marketing has been on point.

I'm a little disappointed that the villain is weak but eh. Plot has always been billed as simple.

Right now I'm concerned with the Joker. Saw the Fallon clip and wasn't impressed but I have liked what I've seen up until then.

guek

Banned
If there's ever a Ultimate Cut or similar to Suicide Squad I will demand that Snyder release the same for Man of Steel. There was at least another 20 or so minutes that didn't make it in the theatrical cut.

Are those deleted scenes on the dvd? Man of Steel doesn't strike me as a movie that needed more run time.

IconGrist

Are those deleted scenes on the dvd? Man of Steel doesn't strike me as a movie that needed more run time.

There are exactly 0 deleted scenes. There's almost no information on what was cut. Just that there was cuts. There is a shot in one of the international tv spots (or something like that) of Superman hauling fucking ass through the sky. No idea what the context is though.

shingi70

Banned
Is it Friday yet, can't wait to see the movie.

Even though I like the movies thus far (I like all comic films for the most part), I can admit that my personal DCEU would look alot different than what we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom