• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

They got over a year, you'd say they should be able to create something that will at least be received positively. Then again, we had the same thought with Suicide Squad so yeah....Geoff Johns is key here. Let's see what he is able to do.

Batman v Superman had 3 years, lol.

hamchan

What's the point of hiring all these directors who you think are talented, who you put in charge to make a great movie, only to come in to interfere and mess it all up? How infuriating.

Ahasverus

The thing I hate about studio interference is that it's just about ego. If you are not a painter, and you get someone to paint you something, you don't come at the end with a crayola box to try to change the colors in it because you think it could look better that way, no, you let the painter do his job, because what he thinks should be the last version of the painting is defined by its own constrains and vision.

WB really needs a board of filmmakers, not bussiness guys, in charge of the direct meddling of the movies. We're in the same position the Fox guys (and now Sony) were years ago. We're doomed.

Psykoboy2

Someone on my Facebook page pointed out that a lot of the reviewers who were negative towards Suicide Squad gave glowing reviews for this year's Ghostbusters - a film reviewers seemed to love but most of the public were pretty "meh" on.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I hate about studio interference is that it's just about ego. If you are not a painter, and you get someone to paint you something, you don't come at the end with a crayola box to try to change the colors in it because you think it could look better that way, no, you let the painter do his job, because what he thinks should be the last version of the painting is defined by its own constrains and vision. WB really need a board of filmmakers, not bussiness guys, in charge of the direct meddling of the movies. We're in the same position the Sony guys (and now Sony) were years ago. We're doomed.

I give it 2 more movies before Ahasverus actually becomes a supervillain. Calling it now.

gamz

Someone on my Facebook page pointed out that a lot of the reviewers who were negative towards Suicide Squad gave glowing reviews for this year's Ghostbusters - a film reviewers seemed to love but most of the public were pretty "meh" on.

I think most of the GB reviews weren't love, but it's good, not great.

WhiteWolf

DC fans just can't have a film released without drama coming out. Is it like this over at Marvel? I remember some drama over the release of AoU and Hulk, but none of the other films.

IconGrist

DC fans just can't have a film released without drama coming out. Is it like this over at Marvel? I remember some drama over the release of AoU and Hulk, but none of the other films.

I don't keep up with the Production Threads but in the Community thread I don't recall seeing problems outside of some of the TV shows.

guek

Banned
Marvel is a well oiled machine. The one demon that haunted production (Perlmutter) has already been exorcised.

hamchan

Nope. Disney runs a well oiled machine over there. There was Ant-Man drama with Edgar Wright but that movie still came out pretty good.

There was some controversy over Thor 2 because Loki was given more time as per studio mandate and the Ant Man situation doesn't need any further explanation (although I'm kind of on Marvel's side with that one).

That kind of mindset is like the "How can this game get this score if the reviewer gave X that score?" over on Gaming

What does a person giving a good score to GB have to do with not enjoying Suicide Squad?

IconGrist

That kind of mindset is like the "How can this game get this score if the reviewer gave X that score?" over on Gaming

What does a person giving a good score to GB have to do with not enjoying Suicide Squad?

Don't you know? What you think of one movie automatically defines across the board how you will feel about every other movie.

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

IconGrist

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

"Good joke. Everyone laughed."

NandoGip

I have a question: Let's forget all of the drama with the DC movies for the last 5-10 years. Imagine if budget was not an issue, how could a DC CU be done and actually come out as top notch movies?

“Heard joke once: Man working on Suicide Squad goes to Warner Bros. executive. Says he's depressed. Says work seems rushed and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening studio system where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Executive says, "Treatment is simple. Great filmmaker David Ayer is in charge here. Go and see him. He will tell you what to do." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But ...I am David Ayer.”

i tried

IconGrist

I have a question: Let's forget all of the drama with the DC movies for the last 5-10 years. Imagine if budget was not an issue, how could a DC CU be done and actually come out as top notch movies?

Create your guideline with very focused story arcs (including the how's and when's of the connective bits), give yourself room to maneuver should the guideline need some adjusting, hire talent you trust and have someone to shepherd the whole thing.

bryanee

The Geoff Johns effect wont be felt until at least Justice League but I'm interested to see what changes he can make.

As for all these difference Squad cuts just put em all on the Blu-ray so I can see who did best.

jrush64

Banned
At this point, I think I even want them to delay both Wonder Woman and Justice League until they get their shit together.

I mean, the process is no different than any other movie that is decent to great. And the problems here are no different than a movie that turns out bad. The DC branding isn't the problem. It's in jarring editing and bloated plots and bad writing and rushed or turgid pacing and confusing structure and all that

So the question isn't how to make a good DC movie; it's how to make a good movie in general. Same rules apply for any genre and any movie

Corpsepyre

Banned
WB better not fuck with WW at this point. Give Jenkins some fucking cred, even though she has no grounding in such films. Give her the cred and let her submit an edit. REALLY hoping they don't fuck things up more.

PROVIDED all this information by Hollywood Reporter is correct.

Pachimari

I'm very surprised by the reviews, actually a little shocked seeing it at 34%. Although it doesn't matter to me, as I am just as excited for Suicide Squad as ever. I just hope Warner can steer the boat clear so that the DCEU can truly excel in the future. I want my Flash movie!

Busty

Banned
What's the point of hiring all these directors who you think are talented, who you put in charge to make a great movie, only to come in to interfere and mess it all up? How infuriating.

I wrote this in the thread about the Hollywood Reporter article. Not sure if it clears anything up or not...,

"The problem here is that WB are trying to transition from their usual filmmaker centric approach for their DC output to the Marvel style 'conveyor belt' production model that is closer to TV in so much as the director is not the top man on the totem pole but the producers are.

The transition isn't just physical (so to speak) but philosophical too. The methods described in the article are how Marvel (innovators of the cineverse model) have worked almost since day one. There's a reason why they favour directors who come from a TV background. WB have never really worked this way, even on the Potter films.

The Marvel method wasn't to Edgar Wright's liking and he jumped ship. And who did they replace him with? A man whose gig before Ant Man was directing episodes of New Girl. While they have set Ryan Coogler to direct Black Panther he is still a filmmaker (albeit a talented one) working on his first big budget film so it's unlikely that they'll radically reinvent their model just to accommodate him. Yet.

It seems that WB are trying to get the best of both worlds, going down the 'Marvel route' in some instances while keeping their fillmmaker model for others. While they have James Wan doing Aquaman (a major coup by the way) his way they have a hired gun in Patty Jenkins (again albeit a talented one) doing Wonder Woman.

I still think that WB can find their way and make the DCU huge..., but they need to find it now as 2017 brings arguably the two biggest tests of the DCU. If neither Wonder Woman nor Justice League work critically or financially then the DCU really will become the Batfleck cineverse and there will be whole sale changes at the studio.

It also has to be said that despite the doom and gloom surrounding the DCU and Suicide Squad the latter it is still on course to open to huge numbers this weekend. The fact that Suicide Squad could break the August opening weekend record with a Rotten Tomato score of 30% or whatever just shows how much raw potential and popularity the DCU has. Warners just needs to mine it out.

..., and for the record I am still excited for Suicide Squad and looking forward to seeing it."

ReiGun

I mean, the process is no different than any other movie that is decent to great. And the problems here are no different than a movie that turns out bad. The DC branding isn't the problem. It's in jarring editing and bloated plots and bad writing and rushed or turgid pacing and confusing structure and all that

So the question isn't how to make a good DC movie; it's how to make a good movie in general. Same rules apply for any genre and any movie

This.

I think Marvel's success has convinced people that there is some correct way to make tentpole blockbusters, when in truth, their current good fortune is more an anomaly. The current DCEU state is kind of par for how films happen.

There's lessons everyone can take from Marvel's success, but the actual act of film making will never be an exact science that we can come up with a bulleted list of things needed for success.

(I used the word 'success' a lot here. I should invest in a thesaurus.)

Ninjimbo

Wonder Woman won't be fucked with too much. At this point, the Snyders should have the clout to say that WB doesn't know what it's doing and give some autonomy to Jenkins to try that out. JL has Affleck as an Exec now too, so Ben is going to have a say in what happens to the film.

One of the things I admire about Marvel right now is that they don't let their shit get out into the media. These productions are hard, long and complicated with tons of people with egos involved and you hardly hear a thing. Marvel has had problems before like Edward Norton not coming back, the production problems on the Hulk, Whedon burning out and leaving, Edgar Wright being pushed out but none of those stories ever gained any traction. You don't hear that much about them and none of those stories stick to any of their movies' legacies. They got some good PR people working over there.

Boke1879

We'll plan on seeing this at least 3 times. Tomorrow in my own. Friday with a group and then Saturday again after work.

Back to the topic at hand. DC just needs to focus on making a consistent, focused and coherent movie. I've said their biggest downfall was going all in too early.

They would have done well in having a batman solo movie that was tied to the world of MoS. then did the WW solo movie. And then maybe did a MoS 2 that introduced an outside threat and having th Trinity meet up in some fashion in that movie. And then that could have set up the JL.

Problem is DC use their "event" movie to build and set up their universe.

ReiGun

See, but the thing is we're assuming that they would have left the movies alone. I mentioned it in the OT, but they did Green Lantern in hopes it would be a more slow burn, Marvel-esque build....and then proceeded to fuck that all to hell.

If the studio is so panicky and has so little faith in their talent, it doesn't matter how they build the universe. They'll just keep getting in their own way.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

The closest thing to drama was Edgar Wright being let go from Ant-Man.

Ghostbusters is rated 6.4/10 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Boke1879

See, but the thing is we're assuming that they would have left the movies alone. I mentioned it in the OT, but they did Green Lantern in hopes it would be a more slow burn, Marvel-esque build....and then proceeded to fuck that all to hell.

If the studio is so panicky and has so little faith in their talent, it doesn't matter how they build the universe. They'll just keep getting in their own way.

I agree with you in that a lot of this shit just happens. Reasons why it's not talked about on the Disney side is because their movies generally bring success. But when someone goes bad it's put under a microscope.

I'm interested to see how Rogue One turns out. There were reshoots done to that so we'll see.

Corpsepyre

Banned
We'll plan on seeing this at least 3 times. Tomorrow in my own. Friday with a group and then Saturday again after work.

Back to the topic at hand. DC just needs to focus on making a consistent, focused and coherent movie. I've said their biggest downfall was going all in too early.

They would have done well in having a batman solo movie that was tied to the world of MoS. then did the WW solo movie. And then maybe did a MoS 2 that introduced an outside threat and having th Trinity meet up in some fashion in that movie. And then that could have set up the JL.

Problem is DC use their "event" movie to build and set up their universe.

While that would have been ideal, I can see why they didn't opt for it. Marvel comparisons and bashing would have ensued. Even though it has ensued anyway, DC would be called Marvel copycats for introducing characters first, leading into an event film.

As I've said before, there's really no winning here for DC/WB. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Boke1879

While that would have been ideal, I can see why they didn't opt for it. Marvel comparisons and bashing would have ensued. Even though it has ensued anyway, DC would be called Marvel copycats for introducing characters first, leading into an event film.

As I've said before, there's really no winning here for DC/WB. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Oh I agree. I believe Marvel has set expectations and I think most things are viewed in that lens. Even skimming some reviews I see comparisons.

It seems that WB are trying to get the best of both worlds, going down the 'Marvel route' in some instances while keeping their fillmmaker model for others. While they have James Wan doing Aquaman (a major coup by the way) his way they have a hired gun in Patty Jenkins (again albeit a talented one) doing Wonder Woman.

I still think that WB can find their way and make the DCU huge..., but they need to find it now as 2017 brings arguably the two biggest tests of the DCU. If neither Wonder Woman nor Justice League work critically or financially then the DCU really will become the Batfleck cineverse and there will be whole sale changes at the studio.

I agree that either approach can work but WB has to stick with one. They don't seem to have the confidence to let someone let Ayers execute his vision but instead of being involved from the beginning they jump in at the end at take over which leads to the messes we're seeing with BvS and now SS.

ReiGun

I agree with you in that a lot of this shit just happens. Reasons why it's not talked about on the Disney side is because their movies generally bring success. But when someone goes bad it's put under a microscope.

I'm interested to see how Rogue One turns out. There were reshoots done to that so we'll see.
Oh I know this shit is normal. I just think that when a studio has a proven track record of making their movies worse under both universe buildings styles, there's a bigger problem than what is essentially plot structure.

Boke1879

Tbh I don't think much is going to change internally at WB. I think those changes have happened for the most part. An exec might be let go but largely Johns is at the head. Ben is an EP of JL. And with Flash and WW you have directors that seem to have a vision and aren't burdened with universe building.

Corpsepyre

Banned
You know, at this point, I think it's best for WB to just set the tone for their films. Marvel has done so, and WB needs to follow suit. Fuck pandering to everyone and, especially, to Marvel light-heartedness. Make it dark and gritty, if you will. JUST DON'T intrude in the editing process and have some bloody confidence in the filmmakers that you have chosen.

Ashhong

What i REALLY don't get is how these movie execs and talented filmmakers don't know it's a bad movie when they watch it. IMO it's not hard to tell it's a badly made/edited movie. Story and characters aside because that may be personal preference, you should be able to tell when a movie is poorly edited. Come the fuck on

Corpsepyre

Banned
What i REALLY don't get is how these movie execs and talented filmmakers don't know it's a bad movie when they watch it. IMO it's not hard to tell it's a badly made/edited movie. Story and characters aside because that may be personal preference, you should be able to tell when a movie is poorly edited. Come the fuck on

PR's never going to let people find that out. Damage control works that way. IF, and only IF these re-shoot and six week scripting rumours are true, then it's totally possible the story's a jumbled mess.

Will find out on the 12th when it opens here. It just doesn't hit me as bad as BvS's thrashing did since I waited years for that.

jmood88

None of the fanboy "Warner copied Marvel" nonsense would matter if they put out good movies.

Ninjimbo

These people know. But time runs out and they have to release something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom