• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

tonight's the night.

pretty much the exact same scenario going into SS that I had going into BvS. Expecting the worst.

hoping I can come back to this thread with a positive review, nonetheless :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Really? That's what you post with a straight face?

Speculation in a Hollywood Reporter article that was reported on something called 'Newsarama'?

Just admit that you were wrong and we can all move on.

You seem angry :)

Calm down :)

Edit: LOL, you are really angry. Bye. Desubbed.

Boke1879

I'm just as confused, lol. So, INST, you didn't like SS all that much?

I think they said it was just ok after a first viewing. Opinion could change after watching it again.

And yea getting hostile over forums posts isn't needed

Hmm even still despite negative reviews I'm seeing people who were down on BvS still excited to see this movie. At least on Twitter. So it'll be interesting to see how WOM is and what the ceiling for this movie is monetary wise

Busty

Banned
You seem angry :)

Calm down :)

Edit: LOL, you are really angry. Bye. Desubbed.

Try taking a breath of fresh air. Getting that angry about a forum post is probably a bad idea.

It's fine to speculate about a 'what if' situation if Batman faced off against Iron Man in a film but then making up bullshit about corporations possibly merging to make such a thing possible just turns my stomach.

Such a corporate move would result in thousands and thousands of jobs being lost and this weird "gotta catch 'em all" attitude some kids have to corporate M&A (I assume that Gameproff is a teenager) supporting these huge multi nationals corporations like they are sports teams is just grotesque. Such things have real world consequences.

Eh. I'm over it. :)

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just as confused, lol. So, INST, you didn't like SS all that much?

How was Suicide Squad?

No, kinda disappointed. It wasn't awful (it did have some really bad things in there), but just wasn't good. Enjoyable here and there, but then stuff happened I just did not like at all. Villain was awful, music was weird and placed at really odd times (did not fit), did not like Leto Joker like I thought I would. On top of that; the story wasn't that interesting, characters were okay I guess.

IconGrist

No, kinda disappointed. It wasn't awful (it did have some really bad things in there), but just wasn't good. Enjoyable here and there, but then stuff happened I just did not like at all. Villain was awful, music was weird and placed at really odd times (did not fit), did not like Leto Joker like I thought I would. On top of that; the story wasn't that interesting, characters were okay I guess.

Bleh, I'm sorry. Was hoping you'd like it. Oh well, I'm leaving for the Drafthouse in 12 hours to see it for myself.

Raptor

The movie is garbage confirmed.

Is nothing but trash.

Oh well, at least I did get my Superman movie.

Maddocks

Time to wait for the ultimate ayer cut. Still going to see it tonight of course, but my hype is shook. I was never I big suicide squad fan, never really read it. But the idea is what I liked, bad guys forced to do good, and with that cast I loved it even more and now reading reviews and even fan reviews saying how it's just blah... hype shook....

Vyer

Don't know what will be worse. The day that happens or the day a Marvel Studio joint is rotten.

there was a little glimpse of that in the responses to that MCU criticism thread that was closed.

luckily i think the formula marvel has is probably set enough to avoid that for the most part.

Shane Black should direct a DCEU movie.

For one, I think it'd be awesome, but it'd also be funny to see people who hate Iron Man 3 try to wrestle with wanting a good DC movie by a well respected director.

one can think IM3 didn't work and still think Black is a good director.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Clay Cane
BET.com August 4, 2016
Not a complete disaster, but inexcusably mediocre. To be fair, the audience I saw the film with appeared to love every frame: big laughter, cheers for the action and clapping as the credits rolled. Is there a disconnect between critics and audiences?
Full Review | Original Score: C

---

Heh.

WhiteWolf

That sucks about Joker. How did you feel about each squad member? Were the scenes with Batman cool?

jrush64

Banned
Clay Cane
BET.com August 4, 2016
Not a complete disaster, but inexcusably mediocre. To be fair, the audience I saw the film with appeared to love every frame: big laughter, cheers for the action and clapping as the credits rolled. Is there a disconnect between critics and audiences?
Full Review | Original Score: C

---

Heh.

This right here is what I hope will bring people coming back.

Boke1879

Of course I would have liked a better movie but most of what I've read leads me to believe this will be decent to okay for my tastes.

Ninjimbo

This right here is what I hope will bring people coming back.
If it's just a decent movie, I think most people will be satisfied. The novelty of having characters like Harley Quinn on the big screen is kind of a big deal. I think it's the sole reason why the projections for opening weekend are so unusually high.

I think it will do fine in the US. International is what I'm worried about.

Well he's a professional. Just like Snyder. He's not going to come out and shit in a movie he most likely loved working on.

It helps Snyder and Ayer had the benefit of being in this situation before. Ironically for Ayer, his two films have Sabotage and Suicide in the titles

IconGrist

Could be nothing but Paul Dini said Margot Robbie nailed Harley Quinn. Pretty high praise considering he's the character's co-creator.

Huge DC fan, but I can't support WB's aimless leadership anymore. Got my tickets refunded and will be waiting for this to hit Netflix or something.

PBY

Banned
If it's just a decent movie, I think most people will be satisfied. The novelty of having characters like Harley Quinn on the big screen is kind of a big deal. I think it's the sole reason why the projections for opening weekend are so unusually high.

I think it will do fine in the US. International is what I'm worried about.
Too late. It's already a Twitter joke, everyone is shitting on it, even my morning drive sports talk guys. This is BvS tier. WOM is gonna affect this.

Seeing it tonight.

IconGrist

Too late. It's already a Twitter joke, everyone is shitting on it, even my morning drive sports talk guys. This is BvS tier. WOM is gonna affect this.

Seeing it tonight.

This part caught me off guard after reading the top line. Legit laughed.

PBY

Banned
This part caught me off guard after reading the top line. Legit laughed.
I mean, I'm not expecting it to be good. But that's kinda the point, right? The movie is already a meme, and it's getting shit on online and in various other spots, but many (most even) haven't seen it yet.

Could be nothing but Paul Dini said Margot Robbie nailed Harley Quinn. Pretty high praise considering he's the character's co-creator.

A consistent I've seen in reviews is Robbie's performance considered at least one of the best, if not the best, parts in the film. After watching this (for free luckily), I have to agree. Pleasantly surprised about her performance

A consistent I've seen in reviews is Robbie's performance considered at least one of the best, if not the best, parts in the film. After watching this (for free luckily), I have to agree. Pleasantly surprised about her performance

The biggest critisism I read regarding Harley were her lines. She can't be faulted for that.

So Bird of Prey still on track, hopefully.

And yeah, I am only going to see this if a friend asks me to, which is pretty unlikely given the critical reception.

Boke1879

I mean, I'm not expecting it to be good. But that's kinda the point, right? The movie is already a meme, and it's getting shit on online and in various other spots, but many (most even) haven't seen it yet.

Well look at what happened with the new ghostbusters movie before anyone even saw it. We went through the same shit with BvS. A lot of people still liked it. This looks to be a similar case.
I won't go in expecting a bad movie

Huge DC fan, but I can't support WB's aimless leadership anymore. Got my tickets refunded and will be waiting for this to hit Netflix or something.

Off-topic, but I love how "I'll wait for it on Redbox/Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Blockbuster/FX/WPIX on a Sunday afternoon in 20 years" is the new thing to say when you don't like a movie. Like it's not enough to say "I won't watch it", people have to go that extra mile.

Off-topic, but I love how "I'll wait for it on Redbox/Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Blockbuster/FX/WPIX on a Sunday afternoon in 20 years" is the new thing to say when you don't like a movie. Like it's not enough to say "I won't watch it", people have to go that extra mile.

But I want to watch it because it has some of my favorite characters. Just don't think it's going to be worth my $15.

This is something all movie studios need to deal with. Like a lot of folks, I have a 50' tv and decent surround system. To justify playing $12 for a ticket + whatever for snacks a movie there needs to be something worth supporting. Not something that flows along and isn't bad. If WB can't deliver a really epic experience consumers are free to wait until BvS or Suicide Squad can be watched from the comfort of their home for no extra charge.

Boke1879

This is something all movie studios need to deal with. Like a lot of folks, I have a 50' tv and decent surround system. To justify playing $12 for a ticket + whatever for snacks a movie there needs to be something worth supporting. Not something that flows along and isn't bad. If WB can't deliver a really epic experience consumers are free to wait until BvS or Suicide Squad can be watched from the comfort of their home for no extra charge.

While you are right. To me nothing beats seeing a movie in the cinema. Especially one with like minded peers.

It's entirely valid though. I've heard the prices others have to pay just to get a ticket in their areas, I wouldn't be going out for something that is just OK either. I generally don't do it now and I only have to pay $11 - which my theater has jumped a dollar every year for the past 3 years now. I'd rather wait and spend $2 to rent it at the local video store instead of the 50 mile/60 minute round trip and the ticket + food prices.

Ninjimbo

Seeing it tonight.
I never said WOM wouldn't affect it, but if the people who watch it tonight or over the weekend come out satisfied, then the movie won't completely crater in the second week. I'm experiencing some of that blow back too. I live in Miami so I listen to Dan Le Batard in the morning and his show is carried by ESPN. He was shitting on SS and Will Smith yesterday and his show reaches millions of people.

WOM will definitely affect this but I still think the movie will make more than the blockbusters that underperformed over the past couple of weeks.

It's entirely valid though. I've heard the prices others have to pay just to get a ticket in their areas, I wouldn't be going out for something that is just OK either. I generally don't do it now and I only have to pay $11 - which my theater has jumped a dollar every year for the past 3 years now. I'd rather wait and spend $2 to rent it at the local video store instead of the 50 mile/60 minute round trip and the ticket + food prices.

Yep. Every option from the cost of a cable station to OnDemand to Redbox to Netflix to an app costs less than the average movie ticket price plus food nowadays.

Far from saying I dislike the theater experience. But if you're going to see a film you aren't sure you'll even find good in, there's never been a better time to just wait, especially in the modern age where the film will be available in those other cheaper options within a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom