• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Yup. That's my biggest issue with the movie. That scene. I know it got a laugh out of people. But IMO it cheapened the villain who wasn't anything special to begin with. Ronin could have killed his ass right there.

Yeah, something Marvel has had a continual issue with... throwaway villains. Not like he was special to begin with. In the exact same movie, he's cheapening Thanos as well. When he's mocking Thanos and goading him into an attack, Thanos sits there like a punk. In one movie they managed to cut two villains at the knee.

IconGrist

Guardians of the Galaxy is true capekino. Multiple moments in the movie were peppered through out, building up to this scene. Much like the great warrior Kevin Bacon, Star Lord uses the power of dance, distracting and confusing Ronan. The actual plan of attack with Rocket and Drax was also set up before hand. In one moment, multiple threads converge leading to one of the most memorable scenes in all comic book movies.

The plan of attack to hold hands and hope that Star Lord's genes (which they weren't aware of at the time) are enough to handle the power of an Infinity Stone?

Gotg is garbage in every sense; the characters are not interesting, the plot is boring, the villain is awful, the music is garbage, it feels like a choir to sit through and nothing interesting is going on at any point in the movie.

Music is good, but I don't like Guardians of the Galaxy at all. It's not offensively bad, but it's just so goddamn dull.

Boke1879

Not excited for Wonder Woman but that's not saying it won't be good. But it would just be a prequel movie that doesn't really advance the story forward so it would be like a good one off film. I want justice league now.

IMO that's what DC needs. Just a good focused movie. WW deserves that at least. I've said from the start the biggest mistake WB made was going all in too soon. They decided to have their big event movie with added weight of establishing their universe pretty much as their first movie.

In a perfect world after MoS. You'd cast Ben as Batman. Make a Batman solo that hopefully turned out good. You'd cast Gal as WW and hopefully that turned out good. You'd at least establish the Trinity and you could connect the worlds in the movies somehow.

Then you'd have BvS. It could be the same movie really. Just more contained and focused. Focus on Batman and Superman's motivations and Lex being the manipulator. Remove the Knightmare scene and put Bruce and Diana looking at the emails as a mid credits scene.

Then you'd have SS. Not really a movie that adds a whole lot to the universe but it does help expand and introduce characters most audiences don't know and introducing fan favorites to the big screen. Then you'd have JL1. Which introduces Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Then go from there.

WB just committed way too much too soon with no real plan or vision.

Tactics18

Just saw it.

I think it's very bad, unfortunately. Really wanted to like it.
For reference, I think BvS and MoS are decent, despite both having big glaring issues.

It started strong, but lost it's footing very quickly until it came down crashing.
The plot is just so bad. A lot of the jokes fall flat. The villain is atrocious.
Very disappointing.

Boke1879

About to head out and see this. Will give my opinions in about 3 hours or so. At this point just hoping to enjoy a good action. But if it's no good and I don't like it. I'll gladly speak on that.

IconGrist

About to head out and see this. Will give my opinions in about 3 hours or so. At this point just hoping to enjoy a good action. But if it's no good and I don't like it. I'll gladly speak on that.

Exactly 3 hours from now I will be heading out so maybe I'll get to read your impressions beforehand.

WhiteWolf

My showing is in about 50 minutes. I'll post my brief thoughts about the film afterwards (usually like to let movies settle and see them a few more times before I come to a conclusion on them). Excited to read what you guys thought as well. See you all on the other side!

Ashhong

Wondering if it's worth going to a matinee by myself this weekend to watch this..maybe I'll wait for Icon's impressions

Boke1879

My showing is in about 50 minutes. I'll post my brief thoughts about the film afterwards (usually like to let movies settle and see them a few more times before I come to a conclusion on them). Excited to read what you guys thought as well. See you all on the other side!

That's how I am. Seeing this at least twice. Today and tomorrow and if I do enjoy it I'll see it again on Saturday.

Sitting in the theater now. Lots of younger people here. Teens right now mostly and colleges aged people. Few parents here with kids

IconGrist

I'm watching BvS again (as I said before) and I'm at the "1%" conversation. Bruce says he's going to steal the kryptonite. Alfred says, "To keep it out of Luthor's hands. To destroy it."

"...No."

Beautiful delivery by Affleck. Almost like he was disgusted to admit what his actual intention was.

Edit: At the harbor scene. I just realized there's nobody in that car that Batman drags around.

I'm watching BvS again (as I said before) and I'm at the "1%" conversation. Bruce says he's going to steal the kryptonite. Alfred says, "To keep it out of Luthor's hands. To destroy it."

"...No."

Beautiful delivery by Affleck. Almost like he was disgusted to admit what his actual intention was.

Edit: At the harbor scene. I just realized there's nobody in that car that Batman drags around.
Best scene is Bruce thanking Alfred.

I went to go watch Suicide Squad at Disney Springs, but the theater was packed, so there was no place for my brothers, stepsister, and myself to sit...so we got refunds. The next showing was sold out, and the rest aren't for hours. Not sure when we'll watch it now. I was excited to go watch it. :(

I just finally started to get better today after being sick the past few days, too, just in time for the movie, and now I can't watch it. Heh.

3N16MA

Banned
BOM final prediction is a 145M OW while Boxoffice.com is going with 133M OW. If it opens to any of those numbers it is going to crush the August record.

WB nailed the marketing on this from the very beginning.

ryan299

BOM final prediction is a 145M OW while Boxoffice.com is going with 133M OW. If it opens to any of those numbers it is going to crush the August record.

WB nailed the marketing on this from the very beginning.

They needed to with how bad this film is being received. Otherwise they'd be screwed. Too soon?

I've actually seen a few reporters speculate that the JL set visit happened bc WB knew Skwad was going to be terrible received lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
There are some positive reactions from Gaffers that just saw it in the OT Review thread for those on the fence or just wanting a ray of light in all this darkness.

Ahasverus

They needed to with how bad this film is being received. Otherwise they'd be screwed. Too soon?
The general audience WILL eat this up. It checks all boxes of a crowd pleasing, mindless blockbuster. This will outgross BvS, or at least be dangerously closer than it should be haha.

Tabby

Movie really wasn't that bad. It's not amazing but its not as bad as everyone's saying. 7/10 probably for me.

I'll type more when I get home.

Ahasverus

So not as bad as Thor 2/ Iron Man 2?
More like the same.

If you like the characters you'll be fine with it, it's a Suicide Squad story that is not inherently flawed at all. It might be a bit simple but.. meh. Still fun. I understand Marvel fans now haha.

Would love a director's cut though, Joker was a bit too on the cute side, but still very enjoyable.

Boke1879

I don't know. I really liked it and enjoyed myself. Theater did as well. Movie definitely had us laughing. So i don't really understand reviews that say it's devoid of fun and humor honestly.

Plot was basic as all hell but imo I think the character interactions made up for it. They had a mission and that was it. And yea the villain was weak, but I don't know how you'd change that at least for this first outing imo.

I thought Will as Deadshot was great. Loved Margot as Harley. Was really surprised by El Diablo. Leto as Joker imo was one of the weaker performances. I didn't hate it it's just different. I'd still like to him in a solo Batman movie in a more serious role/tone.

But yea I liked it, and I'll definitely be seeing it again tomorrow.

My advice to someone who isn't sure. Go to a matinee. This is definitely not the worst movie in the world like some people or some reviews would have you think. There is some weird editing but nothing outrageous. It's not the best movie ever but it's not shit either.

IMO it's a solid action flick with some characters you may enjoy. I'd give it a 7/10

Rooster12

Plot was basic as all hell but imo I think the character interactions made up for it. They had a mission and that was it. And yea the villain was weak, but I don't know how you'd change that at least for this first outing imo.

Make Deadshot the main character, have Harley and Joker be the main bad guys, give them a reason to go at each other.

There you go, can't be that hard.

It's just perception boys. If the movie was a critical smash hit, nobody would've really said anything, but because it is utter garbage, of course you're going to make fun of everything it has involved. Just the way it is.

What I ask myself is, if this is a movie that no one is going to talk about in two weeks, or if we have a BvS/MoS situation here.

you saw it already? must have missed your thoughts...

Seriously hating on one of the best Comic Book movies ever made
tumblr_nmccdyu1uK1r1k6vvo1_500.gif

but it's not a good movie. when a movie has to rely on countless gags to prop itself up because the characters aren't that interesting or the antagonist is non-existent then it ain't that good.

IMO that's what DC needs. Just a good focused movie. WW deserves that at least. I've said from the start the biggest mistake WB made was going all in too soon. They decided to have their big event movie with added weight of establishing their universe pretty much as their first movie.

In a perfect world after MoS. You'd cast Ben as Batman. Make a Batman solo that hopefully turned out good. You'd cast Gal as WW and hopefully that turned out good. You'd at least establish the Trinity and you could connect the worlds in the movies somehow.

Then you'd have BvS. It could be the same movie really. Just more contained and focused. Focus on Batman and Superman's motivations and Lex being the manipulator. Remove the Knightmare scene and put Bruce and Diana looking at the emails as a mid credits scene.

Then you'd have SS. Not really a movie that adds a whole lot to the universe but it does help expand and introduce characters most audiences don't know and introducing fan favorites to the big screen. Then you'd have JL1. Which introduces Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Then go from there.

WB just committed way too much too soon with no real plan or vision.

that's too similar to the Marvel formula.
question for those who saw it, does this movie connect to the wider DCEU or is it a stand-alone story?

Boke1879

Make Deadshot the main character, have Harley and Joker be the main bad guys, give them a reason to go at each other.

There you go, can't be that hard.

Well yea that can be a potential future plotline. But we can sit here all day and day dream a better plot for this and any other movie really. Let's be real we knew Harley wasn't going to be any sort of main villain. Not for this first outing at least.

Well that was a mixed bag.

It's quite a mess at the beginning, I think the bar scene is where the movie feels like it finally started to find it's stride. I liked most of the characters; Waller, Deadshot, Harley, Flagg,and Boomerang. Not a fan of coked out Joker, at all. Sadly, I don't think there is a way to change that. When Joker talked, I just wanted him to shut up. The best Joker moment was the golden AK shot shown in the trailers.

I'd probably go with 6/10 and that might be on the high side. I think there was definitely a better movie to be made with the property and people involved, but I don't think this was the one.

Boke1879

you saw it already? must have missed your thoughts...

but it's not a good movie. when a movie has to rely on countless gags to prop itself up because the characters aren't that interesting or the antagonist is non-existent then it ain't that good.

that's too similar to the Marvel formula.
question for those who saw it, does this movie connect to the wider DCEU or is it a stand-alone story?

It's essentially it's own movie aside from a few scenes.

I don't think there was anything truly inherently flawed in the movie and some people just aren't going to dig it. I don't think we'll be talking about this movie in a month, but I don't think it was a bad movie. My theater dug the hell out of it. Some won't.

It's literally your typical summer blockbuster with characters from a comic book. I'll definitely watch it again tomorrow. I enjoyed my time with it.

Gleethor

The beginning was awful. AWFUL. It should have started with Amanda's monologue.
Made no sense to start with belle reve, then Amanda at the restaurant, and then belle reve again. Start with Amanda to introduce the lineup, then get into the prison day-to-day.

Reading all these impressions tells me that DC now make diverse comic book movies.

Man of Steel was mixed
BvS was Mixed
SS is looking to being Mixed

I liked Man of Steel
Really disliked BvS
so I have no idea what to expect, should be a good time with my cousins then

That's WB's editors for you. Fucking fire them all.
Editing doesn't work like that. The editor alone doesn't do the whole move, well with all the drama on SS who knows, but typically it needs the directors and others approval/review

Boke1879

Made no sense to start with belle reve, then Amanda at the restaurant, and then belle reve again. Start with Amanda to introduce the lineup, then get into the prison day-to-day.

Beginning didn't bother me all too much. Only thing that overstayed it's welcome to me was the Harley intro.

Another thing to note imo. The movie didn't overstay its welcome. It really didn't feel like it dragged on. While I loved BvS. I think it really took too long to get into it. Especially with no action for like the 1st hour.

WhiteWolf

I enjoyed it overall, but I felt that the movie could've benefited greatly by being on a much smaller scale. Make he villain not something that is world threatening, have Joker become involved heavily in the second half, and have something make the squad members turn on one another. Focus more on the team dynamics and less on set up and backstory.

My favorite parts were when they were just talking to one another and anything with Joker and Harley. I can't really come to much of a conclusion on Leto yet, but I most definitely want to see more of him.

If you are a DC fan, I think it's worth checking out for sure, at least a matinee showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom