• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Complete and utter digression here, but I just picked up the DVD set of the old black and white Kirk Alyn Superman serials from the late 40's, which I'd never seen before. First off, I'm only a few episodes in and I love them to death. Being aimed squarely at children they're corny as hell, but infinitely charming.

Secondly, some of the writing is goddamn hilarious, albeit unintentionally. There's a scene in the second episode where Clark is invited to a museum by a professor who found a "mysterious meteorite fragment" from Krypton. They think it may be radioactive but hey Clark, no worries bro, it's harmless to humans. The professor opens the container in which the fragment is being stored, and Clark then comically passes out like a drunk. The professor then briefly looks at Clark lying on the ground passed out, and without saying a word he calls the telephone operator and says, with mild indifference, "Operator? Get me the coroner, Clark Kent just died in my office." BANG roll credits. It was fucking great.

Then, at the beginning of the next episode, Clark (still lying on the floor) slowly regains consciousness while the professor wanders around his desk like someone who's been mildly inconvenienced that there's a dead body two feet from him. Once the professor notices Clark moving, instead of going, "MR. KENT! GOLLY I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE ALIVE!! THANK HEAVENS!!", he helps him up and basically says, "Dude, totally thought you were dead. WTF was that about?". This scene is now one of my favorite Superman moments ever :lol

Also, despite its cheapness and the fact that the underpants can look like a big diaper on occasion, Kirk Alyn rocks the shit out of the costume:

7YSNoXj.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Awww, Leto wasn't actually reacting to that green jacket in that photo

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/08/jared-leto-gucci-truth?mbid=social_twitter

Except that’s not what happened at all. “The thing about the photo is—I’m going to be honest with you—I was actually making a face at someone across the runway,” Leto told VF.com on a phone call early Thursday morning. To cushion the blow, he conceded, “I have that feeling with most things [Gucci] makes because they make such beautiful things. But I was actually goofing off with a friend, and you can’t actually tell from the picture.

“Sorry to ruin your meme,” he said. “Perception versus reality.”

“Maybe I’ll just go on believing that it was a moment of joy,” I said, laughing the pain away.

“Or you could tell the real story,” he suggests. “That would be interesting.”

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Just now I came to the shitty realisation that the next DCEU movie is like almost a year away. GodfuckingdamnitIDONTWANTTOWAIT. Please be good.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Nah you do want to wait. Give all of this some breathing room. Let Patty, and Geoff handle WW with care.

Patty is so getting kicked out of the editors room, just wait and see. We hear good things about it right up until release and suddenly all these rumours about it being bad....also convinced people (critics as well) are going to be pretty harsh on Gadot's performance. While letting shit like Hemsworth slide for years.

Penguin

Just now I came to the shitty realisation that the next DCEU movie is like almost a year away. GodfuckingdamnitIDONTWANTTOWAIT. Please be good.

Eh not a bad deal

We got Justice League Action starting soon
LEGO Batman will be on the big screen early next year.

A ton of shows.

GoTG 2, Spider-man

Shall go by much faster

It's just perception boys. If the movie was a critical smash hit, nobody would've really said anything, but because it is utter garbage, of course you're going to make fun of everything it has involved. Just the way it is.

What I ask myself is, if this is a movie that no one is going to talk about in two weeks, or if we have a BvS/MoS situation here.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Eh not a bad deal

We got Justice League Action starting soon
LEGO Batman will be on the big screen early next year.

A ton of shows.

GoTG 2, Spider-man

Shall go by much faster

Fuck you Penguin. Fuck you.

Boke1879

Patty is so getting kicked out of the editors room, just wait and see. We hear good things about it right up until release and suddenly all these rumours about it being bad....also convinced people (critics as well) are going to be pretty harsh on Gadot's performance. While letting shit like Hemsworth slide for years.

Nah if this doesn't convince WB to stay out of the editing room then nothing will.

Of course their producers should oversee shit, but Johns needs to be doing that as well. That said. I don't think there is much WB could edit. It's pretty much a WW origin story and a period piece. They can only do so much.

I'll admit Gal hasn't been asked to do much as far as acting is concerned so far, but based on what we've seen so far I haven't had any issue with it.

Loxley

I'll be honest, I have a feeling Aquaman and Flash will be the first films in the DCEU that really feel like they'll be something completely different and unique from what we've gotten so far since they're early enough in development and Johns is now steering the ship. Though WW may momentarily bring us out of the current funk - I guess we'll see.

I'm optimistic for Justice League, probably more than I should be, but at this point I'm just not going to get my hopes up so long as Snyder is in the director's chair. I like the guy, but I just do not agree on his approach to this universe so far.

Guardians kinda goes to shit near the end. So corny.

But up until that point it's pretty damn entertaining imo. More rewatchable than any other mcu film aside from Iron Man 1 (prolly more than that too, though definitely not the better film).

adding Kurt Russell as Star Lord's dad is perfect casting as well, short of Harrison Ford. sequel could be hella fun, hopefully they beef up yondu's role.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Nah if this doesn't convince WB to stay out of the editing room then nothing will.

Of course their producers should oversee shit, but Johns needs to be doing that as well. That said. I don't think there is much WB could edit. It's pretty much a WW origin story and a period piece. They can only do so much.

I'll admit Gal hasn't been asked to do much as far as acting is concerned so far, but based on what we've seen so far I haven't had any issue with it.

You guys have way too much trust in Geoff handling it all. Might temper your expectations.

What's wrong with Guardian?

Everything. Fuck that movie and everyone involved. Piece of shit.

Boke1879

You guys have way too much trust in Geoff handling it all. Might temper your expectations.

Everything. Fuck that movie and everyone involved. Piece of shit.

He at least understands the material more so than any WB exec. That said I have faith in WW and I really can't wait for The Flash movie.

Guardians kinda goes to shit near the end. So corny.

But up until that point it's pretty damn entertaining imo. More rewatchable than any other mcu film aside from Iron Man 1 (prolly more than that too, though definitely not the better film).

adding Kurt Russell as Star Lord's dad is perfect casting as well, short of Harrison Ford. sequel could be hella fun, hopefully they beef up yondu's role.

Kurt Russel is perfect. Gunn even borrowed gags from Big Trouble in Little China in GotG1. Kurt should channel Jack Burton in vol 2.

IconGrist

It makes me sad that WB are fucking up DC properties so badly, and I don't want to support them with my money, but it's still DC, man. It's my childhood. :(

Yea just the DC thing means I'm automatically going to watch it. And first on-screen Harley? Can't miss it even if the rest of the movie is terrible.

Boke1879

It makes me sad that WB are fucking up DC properties so badly, and I don't want to support them with my money, but it's still DC, man. It's my childhood. :(

Go to a matinee. I'm going tonight just so I can watch it and decide if I like it for myself. Tomorrow I'll be going again with a few people and more than likely a full theater. It's always fun seeing these things with like minded people. I'll probably see it on Saturday again during a matinee if I enjoy it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Still in two minds whether I should see this or not. Halp, guys.

Ehh, going with friends or alone? Might be fun to go with friends, not like there is anything else worthwhile in the theaters. The editing is weird and Leto Joker I wasn't a fan of.

There are some real cool things in there though. One scene with Deadshot in particular. The humour (while at times really forced and cringeworthy) was better than I expected. Just lower your expectations and hope to enjoy 2 hour action flick. Won't know if it's worth it anyway unless you see it.

You and me think alike. I too struggling. But the movies not out until the 18th so whatever.

Seriously, fuck those people who fuck shit up, in a bad way.

Ehh, going with friends or alone? Might be fun to go with friends, not like there is anything else worthwhile in the theaters. The editing is weird and Leto Joker I wasn't a fan of.

There are some real cool things in there though. One scene with Deadshot in particular. The humour (while at times really forced and cringeworthy) was better than I expected. Just lower your expectations and hope to enjoy 2 hour action flick. Won't know if it's worth it anyway unless you see it.

Going with my cousins and a friend, most probably. My expectations are lower than David Ayer right now.

You and me think alike. I too struggling. But the movies not out until the 18th so whatever.

Seriously, fuck those people the fuck shit up, in a bad way.

:(

I feel this might end up becoming WB's strategy for DC. https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/761297880023871488

Busty

Banned

If it's not a question of finances then it might be worth going to see to be part of the debate if nothing else.

For what it's worth a friend of mine who usually hates comic book films gave it a "B -" comparing it to Abrams first Trek film. The film as a whole is a jumble but the casting jsut makes the whole package work.

Anth0ny

INST didn't like SS?

fuck it must be the worst movie of all time :(

then again he doesn't like GOTG, so maybe it's great!

just 2 hours to go...

a916

Even the people saying it's a hot mess have had fun watching it... I mean there's worse ways to spend $10... maybe go during a Tuesday or whenever it's cheaper?

Going with my cousins and a friend, most probably. My expectations are lower than David Ayer right now.

:(

I feel this might end up becoming WB's strategy for DC. https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/761297880023871488

Considering all the wide spread changes they made to SS BECAUSE of how BvS reviewed and how it came in a bit lower, I doubt it.

Seriously hating on one of the best Comic Book movies ever made
tumblr_nmccdyu1uK1r1k6vvo1_500.gif

The suspension of disbelief required for this scene to work is mind boggling... it's an insult watching that garbage scene.

Guardians of the Galaxy is true capekino. Multiple moments in the movie were peppered through out, building up to this scene. Much like the great warrior Kevin Bacon, Star Lord uses the power of dance, distracting and confusing Ronan. The actual plan of attack with Rocket and Drax was also set up before hand. In one moment, multiple threads converge leading to one of the most memorable scenes in all comic book movies.

Boke1879

Yup. That's my biggest issue with the movie. That scene. I know it got a laugh out of people. But IMO it cheapened the villain who wasn't anything special to begin with. Ronin could have killed his ass right there.

Jonogunn

Not excited for Wonder Woman but that's not saying it won't be good. But it would just be a prequel movie that doesn't really advance the story forward so it would be like a good one off film. I want justice league now.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Gotg is garbage in every sense; the characters are not interesting, the plot is boring, the villain is awful, the music is garbage, it feels like a choir to sit through and nothing interesting is going on at any point in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom