• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

I enjoyed it overall, but I felt that the movie could've benefited greatly by being on a much smaller scale. Make he villain not something that is world threatening, have Joker become involved heavily in the second half, and have something make the squad members turn on one another. Focus more on the team dynamics and less on set up and backstory.

My favorite parts were when they were just talking to one another and anything with Joker and Harley. I can't really come to much of a conclusion on Leto yet, but I most definitely want to see more of him.

If you are a DC fan, I think it's worth checking out for sure, at least a matinee showing.

Yea shit went from 0-100 real quick in regards to the threat they faced.

I don't. All the stuff you mentioned would be perfect if we are able to get a sequel. And honestly I think they used Batman and Joker perfectly. I didn't want them to over rely on those characters and overshadow the others.

That said I agree with you on Leto. While I didn't love or hate his performance. I want to see it again. Mostly in a more serious role, because I feel he can put on a pretty terrifying joker.

Penguin

Made no sense to start with belle reve, then Amanda at the restaurant, and then belle reve again. Start with Amanda to introduce the lineup, then get into the prison day-to-day.

Yeah

The first 30 mins felt like

"Shit did we introduce the characters yet?
Let's do that again to be sure!"

I didn't like Suicide Squad. Although judging from audience reaction and other impressions, others may enjoy it more than me. For my tastes, it was what I dislike about most Marvel Studios films, but less competently made.

Gleethor

I didn't like Suicide Squad. Although judging from audience reaction and other impressions, others may enjoy it more than me. For my tastes, it was what I dislike about most Marvel Studios films, but less competently made.

It felt like a competently made, middle-of-the-road MCU film that was butchered in the editing room.

Effect

I really enjoyed it a lot. I could likely pick it apart like any film if I desired but I don't. I don't feel the need. I have a lot of fun tonight. It's a different type of fun I had with it compared to the fun I had with BvS. Laughed a lot, as did the audience I was with and it was almost fully packed. With lines outside for the other showings my theater was doing tonight. The audience was more diverse when I expected as well which was good to see. I enjoyed the action and the characters. I felt two of them could have been used more but there were a lot of characters. The story was overall pretty simple but that's not a bad thing. I plan on seeing this again this weekend. Either tomorrow or Sunday.

Now I can see someone being just okay with the film or even finding it forgettable or just finding it wasn't their cut of tea. There are Marvel films like that but I don't think they're horrible, etc.. What this film is not though is a bad or horrible or any other word one wants to use for hyperbole. Not even remotely close.Those people and critics that went that far can GTFO and should be ignored.

Do not be afraid to see the film. Do not be afraid and think this is somehow a train wreck. Go see it and form your opinion. See a matinee if you are really unsure but don't take a pass on it.

I will say, this movie should clean up with the teenagers. I think half my theater looked 16 or younger and one of the girls almost had a heart attack when Harley first showed up.

Dead

well not really...yet
For my tastes, it was what I dislike about most Marvel Studios films, but less competently made.
Jesus, this is literally the worst thing I've read about the movie

Marvelshit is bad enough, but a worse version is a god damn nightmare.

Boke1879

I will say, this movie should clean up with the teenagers. I think half my theater looked 16 or younger and one of the girls almost had a heart attack when Harley first showed up.

Yea at my showing there were a lot of people. Starting with young teens and then moving up the age bracket. There were a lot of young people and that might be the big thing going forward.

Going tomorrow again at the 7pm showing which I think it usually prime time. Friday night most people are off work. Definitely want to see how diverse it is tomorrow.

Thought SS was a solid 7/10. Nothing great, nothing amazing.

Really enjoy this Joker. He's a maniac and Leto plays it so well. Really, really enjoyed every scene he was in.

The rest of it wasn't so great. Katana was unbearable. Diablo and Croc ranged from bad to decent. Deadshot and Flagg were okay most of the time. Waller and Harley were great.

Biggest thing that I took away from it though is that DC is going all in on this. And seeing a film with Harley, Joker, Croc, Deadshot, and whatever other villains show up in a solo Batman movie is going to be incredible. It's just going to be great to see it all on screen.

Boke1879

Thought SS was a solid 7/10. Nothing great, nothing amazing.

Really enjoy this Joker. He's a maniac and Leto plays it so well. Really, really enjoyed every scene he was in.

The rest of it wasn't so great. Katana was unbearable. Diablo and Croc ranged from bad to decent. Deadshot and Flagg were okay most of the time. Waller and Harley were great.

Biggest thing that I took away from it though is that DC is going all in on this. And seeing a film with Harley, Joker, Croc, Deadshot, and whatever other villains show up in a solo Batman movie is going to be incredible. It's just going to be great to see it all on screen.

I would love to see movie inspired by Arkham Asylum. Obviously not a direct copy but that would be an awesome way to have Batman interact with all of these characters.

WhiteWolf

Yea shit went from 0-100 real quick in regards to the threat they faced.

I don't. All the stuff you mentioned would be perfect if we are able to get a sequel. And honestly I think they used Batman and Joker perfectly. I didn't want them to over rely on those characters and overshadow the others.

That said I agree with you on Leto. While I didn't love or hate his performance. I want to see it again. Mostly in a more serious role, because I feel he can put on a pretty terrifying joker.
Yeah, I was hoping we would've gotten a smaller scale, gritty, street level movie. I want to see Ayer's original cut (THR made it seem like there is one) and I hope they release it. The ending and villian would still be the same, but he does street level and gritty really well.

I totally see where you're coming from since while I would've loved more Batman since he is my favorite superhero by a country mile, he was used efficiently and effectively. All the Joker scenes were great as well, but I feel another 5-10 minutes dedicated to his subplot would've been more statisfying to me.

I really can't wait to see the Batman solo now. Affleck and Leto are going to be magic on screen I think.

Ahasverus

Yeah, I was hoping we would've gotten a smaller scale, gritty, street level movie. I want to see Ayer's original cut (THR made it seem like there is one) and I hope they release it. The ending and villian would still be the same, but he does street level and gritty really well.
Nah. Here are the differences between Ayer's first cut and this one from a guy who saw both:
Opening scene changed. Instead of June Moon in the cave finding and turning into the Enchantress it changed into the Deadshot scene that you saw in the clips (you still get the Enchantress origin scene but it happens after that).
Added two scenes between Deadshot and Flag as well as a scene where Deadshot fight the Enchantress.
The scene where Joker fight the Squad over Harley was cut. As well as him in the subway talking to them.
Took down most of the scenes where he abused Harley. Changed a scene where he pushes her from an helicopter after fighting him to her jumping herself.
Took down the scene where Boomerang comes back to help the Squad after leaving them.
Took down a little story arc between Boomerang and Harley (you see a glimpse of it in the comic con trailer).
Added the Flash cameo.
Unsurprisingly, it sounds like it was a better movie before (specially the intro)but what can you do. Our guy Animator (Who worked on the movie) confirmed the third act was not changed, just expanded, it was never street level gritty (In fact the original third act sounds awful. There won't be a director's cut so our best bet is a fan cut with a few deleted scenes.

Boke1879

I totally see where you're coming from since while I would've loved more Batman since he is my favorite superhero by a country mile, he was used efficiently and effectively. All the Joker scenes were great as well, but I feel another 5-10 minutes dedicated to his subplot would've been more statisfying to me.

I really can't wait to see the Batman solo now. Affleck and Leto are going to be magic on screen I think.

Yea. They need to let Affleck do his thing and give him whatever he wants for a Batman Solo.

WhiteWolf

Nah. Here are the differences between Ayer's first cut and this one from a guy who saw both:
Opening scene changed. Instead of June Moon in the cave finding and turning into the Enchantress it changed into the Deadshot scene that you saw in the clips (you still get the Enchantress origin scene but it happens after that).
Added two scenes between Deadshot and Flag as well as a scene where Deadshot fight the Enchantress.
The scene where Joker fight the Squad over Harley was cut. As well as him in the subway talking to them.
Took down most of the scenes where he abused Harley. Changed a scene where he pushes her from an helicopter after fighting him to her jumping herself.
Took down the scene where Boomerang comes back to help the Squad after leaving them.
Took down a little story arc between Boomerang and Harley (you see a glimpse of it in the comic con trailer).
Added the Flash cameo.
Unsurprisingly, it sounds like it was a better movie before (specially the intro)but what can you do. Our guy Animator (Who worked on the movie) confirmed the third act was not changed, just expanded, it was never street level gritty (In fact the original third act sounds awful. There won't be a director's cut so our best bet is a fan cut with a few deleted scenes.
Damn, those scenes sound awesome. Wonder what they looked like on film.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kind of weird how the studio sabotages their own film, never seen anything quite like it.

Tabby

Added the Flash cameo.

Wait what was the original third act?
All I know is that they took out Joker's fight with the Squad.

Effect

Added the Flash cameo.

The changes with
Joker and Harley
make a lot of sense and was something I was wondering if they'd do given how they're handling merchandise. To go the original way would have had that difficult and turned off certain demographics. I actually think it's better this way. Also it sounds like there would have been redundant scenes.
The scene where Joker and crew are shooting at the team from the captured chopper is all you need. I don't see the point of another fight given how the story was going.

Ahasverus

Wait what was the original third act?
All I know is that they took out Joker's fight with the Squad.
Nothing, everything just ends after
they destroy the machine (No dirty Enchantress fight, which was cool). The Joker bit was apparently before the Enchantress fight.

I saw it. It's a typical assembly line Marvel film but with DC characters in it, but it also feels like the assembly line malfunctioned when this film was being produced. I had fun, but there's nothing memorable here. The characters are mostly surface-level outside of Waller, Harley, and Deadshot, the action is uninspired, the plot is forced, and the villain is parody-tier. Some of the character interactions make this film enjoyable, but that's about it. It doesn't even have the impeccable cinematography or expertly choreographed action from Snyder's films. Also, it seems like an editing mess because a lot of the scenes from the trailers and the production videos are completely missing here.

I enjoyed Robbie because she is essentially Harley, and I'd love to see more of her. Will Smith is solid and really likable. He has a couple of emotional scenes that I thought were well done. Viola Davis is straight up fire. That woman... you just don't fuck with her. Also, surprisingly, Jai Courtney is really charismatic, and I'm hoping to see more of him in The Flash. Katana, Croc, and El Diablo are dumpster fire right till the end. Flag is tolerable in areas, and Enchantress is, well... I'd rather not say. Now about Jared Leto's Joker. He's not awful, but he's also not great. There are glimpses of a really great Joker in there, but they're mostly overshadowed by mob boss Joker. Hopefully, Affleck can get a good performance out of this clown (Leto, not Joker). To wrap up, Suicide Squad is some really good to great characters trapped in an aggressively mediocre film that tries too hard to be something it shouldn't be. It's not offensively bad, but it's also not going to impress many people. I give it a 6/10. And once again, I had fun watching it, but I don't really care to watch it again unless they release a director's cut or something. My cousin, who I saw it with, thought it was good.

Tabby

Nothing, everything just ends after
they destroy the machine (No dirty Enchantress fight, which was cool). The Joker bit was apparently before the Enchantress fight.

Oh
so the Enchantress fight was the reshoot then I'm guessing?

Gleethor

The Enchantress fight was visually cool but that slo-mo C4 toss was excruciating.

Edit: my bad with the (light) spoilers, keep forgetting which thread I'm in since there's so many SS threads now.

Ahasverus

No. I knew that was bad since the beginning.
You don't really know bad until you watch it. In fact, B&R is 10000% more watchable than it is. It's also the poster boy for corporate meddling, Geoff John's original screenplay was so good (apparently haha, it's been praised by many people).

You don't really know bad until you watch it. In fact, B&R is 10000% more watchable than it is. It's also the poster boy for corporate meddling, Geoff John's original screenplay was so good (apparently haha, it's been praised by many people).

I think Peter Sarsgaard thought he was in B&R with the performance he turned in. Holy shit was it terrible.

Two spoilers about Suicide Squad relating more to the broader DCEU,

Batman's brief scenes show him compassionate and a far cry from the angry bitter man in BvS. If I have my time frame correct, those flashbacks are set nine months prior to Suicide Squad. Which, again, if my time frame is correct, is set soon after Superman's death. I'm overthinking this. Point is, normal Batman is great.

How Flash's speed is depicted, it's as if the lightning arrives before his body. Re-watching the JL footage, you get a sense of it there as well. Interesting, visually.

Movie was meh, the third act could be better. The editing wasn't an issue for me in a movie with manic characters and a team. Joker isn't really a factor, so I have no strong opinions either way with him and I'm surprised those that do, Smith was fine, Joel K made me wish for Hardy, Jai was good, Ropeguy was Hilarious, Katana was a misfit, Diablo needed more scenes, Croc was fine, random soldiers were a waste, shouldn't have been in the movie. Enchantress/
family, brother
was a miss

Ayer could have done a better Job, I also think that world threatening events need to be use more scarcely and in bigger events movies. These guys shouldn't be saving the world when Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman & flash exist. That's plain stupid.

Harley was awesome, I don't want to sound too critical of the movie, I think the movie is just meh, I have no strong feelings about it. 6/10

Ayer could have done a better Job, I also think that world threatening events need to be use more scarcely and in bigger events movies. These guys shouldn't be saving the world when Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman & flash exist. That's plain stupid.

Spoilers on this point:
When the machine reaches full capacity and Enchantress starts attacking military installations and they pull out to a shot of the United States from space and the cloud covers a good 50% of the country, I was like "Really? Batman and Wonder Woman are just going to sit this one out?"

They should've went with a smaller threat.

Boke1879

It's worse than bvs if you could believe that

See I can say I loved BvS more because it features some of my favorite characters. But SS IMO doesn't suffer from any of the problems BvS did.

I don't think it's worse than BvS more so than it is forgettable IMO. I think general audiences will be more receptive to this than BvS

Spoilers on this point:
When the machine reaches full capacity and Enchantress starts attacking military installations and they pull out to a shot of the United States from space and the cloud covers a good 50% of the country, I was like "Really? Batman and Wonder Woman are just going to sit this one out?"

this is the problem with every marvel movie at this point. Just call back up ant man, or iron man, or captain America. Same could be said for DOFP. Quicksilver could have shut that shit down in an instant

Effect

Spoilers on this point:

That all happens in a extremely short amount of time and at this point the Justice League isn't formed. Now if this had dragged out over days I could see the problem. Larger threats aren't a problem as long as they're happening fairly quickly.

It's worse than bvs if you could believe that

As much as I realllllllly did not like this, I still think this particular comparison is a toss up

Either way, Man of Steel is the best they've released in their universe so far. And I don't think I would have believed you if you had told me that would ever be the case from the moment I left the theater the day I saw that.

I really hope they actually listen to some of the criticism and fix their problems. ASAP. The next few years of the EU at least will be rough if they don't.

this is the problem with every marvel movie at this point. Just call back up ant man, or iron man, or captain America. Same could be said for DOFP. Quicksilver could have shut that shit down in an instant
I can let that go because a hero is tackling the problem. Seems odd when villains are the ones left to save the day. I honestly didn't have a problem with it outside of that shot showing the scope of everything happening.

That all happens in a extremely short amount of time and at this point the Justice League isn't formed. Now if this had dragged out over days I could see the problem. Larger threats aren't a problem as long as they're happening fairly quickly.
True.

BadAss2961

A bit worrying that even here, no one seems to love the movie. Lot of people went to bat for BvS even after all the shit it went through once reviews hit.

Most damning to me are the Marvel comparisons. Yikes...

Boke1879

A bit worrying that even here, no one seems to love the movie. Lot of people went to bat for BvS even after all the shit it went through once reviews hit.

Most damning to me are the Marvel comparisons. Yikes...

I mean I liked and had fun in the theater. The audience had a great time as well. I guess I just always expected this movie to be a summer blockbuster. Which it is. You're probably not going to find people gushing over the movie but you'll probably find a lot of people liked and enjoyed it.

Anth0ny

Quick initial impressions incoming. I think I'm going to need a couple more days to let this sink in, and I'll probably have more to add in the coming days.

Overall, I did not enjoy the movie. There was good stuff in there, but definitely more bad.

-Harley Quinn was the star of the show and no one else even came close. Margot Robbie is perfect casting and she fucking killed it. I loved her everytime she was on the screen, and I pray she has a huge presence in the DCU going forward. She's great.

-Unfortunately, I can't say the same about any other member of the squad. I literally didn't give a fuck about anyone else. No one stood out. Weak backstories, no awesome action sequences from any of them, very few clever/funny lines... just utterly forgettable. Will Smith was on the screen too much. Should have given more lines to Margot. When it comes to the future of the DCU, I can't say I have any desire to see any of these characters again. But lets not forget...

-Joker. I don't think I can really say much about him because he was barely in the film. There is no way I can compare him to Ledger or Nicholson yet, so I'm not even going to try. Overall, I liked Leto's take from the brief time he was on screen. His chemistry with Harley was great, all of their scenes together felt awesome and evoked the animated series, which is exactly the right feel. I certainly came away from the film wanting to see more of this Joker, so mission accomplished there. Leto's Joker, if he appears in the solo Batman film, with a competent writer/director, has a TON of potential, I think. I really liked what I saw here, as brief as it was. Another thing that hurt Joker in this film...

-The fucking trailers gave away EVERYTHING. Same god damn problem as BvS. So many money shots of Harley and Joker, given away in the trailers. You're left with basically nothing else in the actual film. All the cool shit was given away by the trailers, or...

-Just reported on in general. I REALLY wish
Flash's appearance and Harley's TAS costume
wasn't all over GAF and twitter the last couple of weeks. It was still really cool to see in the film, but it would have been a nice surprise.

-Holy shit @ all of the licensed music in the film. One classic after another lol. Didn't really have a problem with it.

-The foot soldiers are literally putties from power rangers. Like, that's exactly how I imagine they'll look like in the upcoming Power Rangers movie. Hilariously generic.

-The villain was bad. Low tier MCU bad. Cool design, though.

-Pretty much everything else was a miss. The plot, the editing, the action... really not good at all.

Overall, probably a 5 or 6/10 at most. I come out excited to see Joker and Harley in a better film, everything else in the film can be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom