• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

I'm somehow not that worried about Wonder Woman script. I don't know about Allan Heinberg but that he is a writer on many acclaimed woman-centric shows, but story and dialogue are what make Johns one of the best writers today.

bryanee

Squad steelbook already available to pre-order on HMV. Just pre-ordered.

Also no Squad for me today. Cinema still hasn't put on 2D showings.

IconGrist

The Angry Joe review looks like a parody if you look at Suicide Squads critical reception. Holy shit. It's night and day.

Yea, I was really surprised he liked it as much as he did and everyone with him seems to be with him. I'm watching the Double Toasted review at the moment. 20 minutes in and I still can't tell what they thought about the movie. The discussion is so aimless.

Boke1879

Surprised he liked it to be honest, he's been hating on a lot of DC stuff.

Yea superman is his favorite and we've seen how he's been handled.

Like I said I can totally see people not feel this movie but I also think general audiences will be receptive to it. Because I enjoyed and liked my time with it and my theater did as well. I thought it was fun.

It's your summer blockbuster that ticks all the boxes with very fun character interaction. Seriously Deadshot, Harley, Waller and even El Diablo (he surprised me) were all great

Penguin

Someone bought up GL last night, and made me think that Warner really should remain hands off.

I mean their most cherished comic book movies were all like creator driven... for better or worse... Superman, Batman, Returns, Nolan's Trilogy... MoS

When they want to make a "studio" film we get GL, we get Batman and Robin, we get Supergirl, etc

VanWinkle

Someone bought up GL last night, and made me think that Warner really should remain hands off.

I mean their most cherished comic book movies were all like creator driven... for better or worse... Superman, Batman, Returns, Nolan's Trilogy... MoS

When they want to make a "studio" film we get GL, we get Batman and Robin, we get Supergirl, etc

GL is so different than B&R, though. B&R is just insane in every way and truly terrible. GL isn't straight-up BAD. It's just the safest most boring movie. It's hard to make it all the way through.

Ahasverus

You've seen it? This forum moves so fast I can't keep track on all the impressions. Did you like it?
Yes! And kinda. Like, I'm mad, but not that mad. It was like watching one of those WB animation movies or a long episode of JL. Filled of amateur technical mistakes and a bunch of mind baffling cuts. But the characters hold it. "Could be worse" is my conclusion haha. 5.5/10.

Ninjimbo

...so why extactly do we have confidence on the Aquaman movie?
I really, really love The Conjuring movies. They're the only horror films in recent memory where I care about the characters. And Fast 7 seems to have well-directed action scenes at least (never seen it). With Geoff involved now, he'll make sure the story is there too going by his New 52 Aquaman run.

VanWinkle

I consider myself a pretty big DC comics fan but I've never heard of El Diablo outside of this movie. Is there anything he played a role in in recent decades? What DC character is he a villain of?

Jon Berg is a studio executive. He's VP of WW Production and Development.

Busty you seem to have a better grasp of the industry than me. So I do have a humble question if you could oblige. Why are the budgets so out of control at WB? Am I wrong in considering them to be too high and this is the new going rate?

IconGrist

So I see it as Man of Steel > Batman v Superman > Suicide Squad in quality. This is not a good trend...

I would say Man of Steel > Batman v Superman = Suicide Squad. I got the same enjoyment out of both but for different reasons.

Edit: For the record, I will forever ignore the existence of the theatrical cut.

Effect

GL is so different than B&R, though. B&R is just insane in every way and truly terrible. GL isn't straight-up BAD. It's just the safest most boring movie. It's hard to make it all the way through.

I've felt Green Lantern was a good example of a "bad" villain and it's third act falling apart. When people say stuff like that we need context and past examples. I really want to know what John's original script was like.

I can't hate on B&R because I always felt it was suppose to be super campy. From start to finish it's like that and me being a fan of the Adam West Batman show it didn't bother me much at the time but I was a kid. Later I figured that was what they were going for on purpose. I get the backlash but it's not like they were being super serious (though I guess the thing with Alfred serious but I never once thought he'd die) and the film as it is is what resulted. Unless that's wrong and there is a horror show behind the scenes that was reported and I don't know about it.

Having slept on it I still enjoy the film and likely will try getting to the theater again this evening as I have nothing else going on and family members are off doing a lot of different things today and for the rest of the weekend. It's not the OMG best thing ever. Never expected it to be and nor did I need it to be. It was an enjoyable film (which is what I wanted it to be) and I would rank it above a few past DC films (not just the current crop) and even some past Marvel films. Like said I got a different type of fun and enjoyment out of this then I did with other films.

GeeTeeCee

That marketing team gonna eat well!

Didn't (some of) the marketing team also fuck with the actual cut of the film? No food for them.

--

Green Lantern's problem is that it is exceptionally unexceptional.

How you can manage to take the Green Lantern mythos, heroes, villains, supporting characters and universe of one of the the most interesting comic book storylines (at the time) and turn it into an utter nothing of a film is beyond me. There's no compelling reason to rewatch it, when I can think of a reason for almost every other comic book film I've ever seen. See also: everyone's favourite, Thor 2.

Didn't (some of) the marketing team also fuck with the actual cut of the film? No food for them.

If WB management actually let the marketing edit a movie, thats on them. Its like with product development, marketing needs input but at some point they have to get the fuck out and let the design team do its job.

Effect

The best parts of the Green Lantern film are when they're on Oa. Everything about the corp was great. Any film they do going forward with GL needs to not be on Earth. Start on Earth but leave it. They don't even need to be apart of the JL. Keep them in space as a separate thing the way Marvel is keeping the GOTG in space by themselves.

Busty

Banned
Busty you seem to have a better grasp of the industry than me. So I do have a humble question if you could oblige. Why are the budgets so out of control at WB? Am I wrong in considering them to be too high and this is the new going rate?

I'm more than happy too. Suicide Squad, as has been reported, was on a fairly quick/rushed production schedule to get it into cinemas for the announced date. When you do things that way you find yourself rushing around and paying top dollar for everything and everyone.

But, ignoring the various reshoots etc, there is simply a cost of doing business on films like this and you can't get away from the fact that some of this stuff is just expensive. When this can start a whole marketing & merch line then really (cynically speaking) this film serves as the 'advert' that drives everything else. From that point of view you don't want to skimp on the production but you can't overspend either.

Take Will Smith for example, I imagine that he made anywhere from $10-20m for Skwad. But it isn't just him, with a star that size there's the whole team/entourage that comes with him and that 'package' could easily cost $1m itself if not more. Then multiple that across the board to varying degrees and you have a big chunk of change..., and that's before you've even shot a single frame.

Of course, they shot in Canada which would have driven down costs and they probably got a big tax rebate for that too. But when you're doing something like this I'd say $150-200m is probably the norm.

Many were wondering why the new Ghostbusters film was so ($140m or so) expensive but I actually felt that was a very reasonable number for what the studio got. Two big stars in Wiig and McCarthy, a ton of VDX work and a shoot in New York.

Warners are usually pretty sensible when it comes to budgeting their big tentpole films, unlike say Sony back in the day under Amy Pascal which happily spent ver $300m on Men In Black 3!!!!

Hope that goes some way to answering your question. :)

DQ12rEa.gif

Boke1879

I liked Mark Strong as Sinestro and everything on Oa. The rest? Not so much.

Also wow at those opening numbers.

Yea those opening preview numbers are pretty good. Interested to see how much it makes today it's truly opening day.

What are some estimates a movie like this will do ok Friday alone? 50-70 mil?

a916

Enjoyed it. The plot is a mess, didn't care about, cut weirdly... but not like a BvS hacked to garbage.

The actors is what made me enjoy it. El Diablo and Deadshot were the standouts.

Villain plot was ill thought out, but better than that garbage Ronan in GOTG.

I came out excited about DCEU because these are characters I want to see again. All the actors did their job.

The music was a bit jarring.

Y'all are making it sound like a Phase 1 Marvel movie. Is it at least better than The Incredible Hulk lol?

Hulk isn't as bad, but SS had way more "better moments" that make SS a better watch? Hulk is like finely constructed cardboard. It does it job but I don't want to eat cardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom