• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleethor

Yea, I was really surprised he liked it as much as he did and everyone with him seems to be with him. I'm watching the Double Toasted review at the moment. 20 minutes in and I still can't tell what they thought about the movie. The discussion is so aimless.
I love double toasted, but Korey C rating it some ol bullshit just because it wasn't a live action version of assault on arkham (despite admitting to liking 75% of SS) was dumb.

IconGrist

breh just a pic of evans' face laughing in the tornado

I had to make one since I could only find the gif instead of a snapshot. How is this?

E0sYvigt.png

Ahasverus

Always liked the look of Leto's Joker.

These films have done a good job of nailing the look of most characters. Gives me hope for Darkseid.
I hope Darkseid doesn't look human, or like he uses the human form to deceive and looks sick on the inside,

I'm more than happy too. Suicide Squad, as has been reported, was on a fairly quick/rushed production schedule to get it into cinemas for the announced date. When you do things that way you find yourself rushing around and paying top dollar for everything and everyone.

But, ignoring the various reshoots etc, there is simply a cost of doing business on films like this and you can't get away from the fact that some of this stuff is just expensive. When this can start a whole marketing & merch line then really (cynically speaking) this film serves as the 'advert' that drives everything else. From that point of view you don't want to skimp on the production but you can't overspend either.

Take Will Smith for example, I imagine that he made anywhere from $10-20m for Skwad. But it isn't just him, with a star that size there's the whole team/entourage that comes with him and that 'package' could easily cost $1m itself if not more. Then multiple that across the board to varying degrees and you have a big chunk of change..., and that's before you've even shot a single frame.

Of course, they shot in Canada which would have driven down costs and they probably got a big tax rebate for that too. But when you're doing something like this I'd say $150-200m is probably the norm.

Many were wondering why the new Ghostbusters film was so ($140m or so) expensive but I actually felt that was a very reasonable number for what the studio got. Two big stars in Wiig and McCarthy, a ton of VDX work and a shoot in New York.

Warners are usually pretty sensible when it comes to budgeting their big tentpole films, unlike say Sony back in the day under Amy Pascal which happily spent ver $300m on Men In Black 3!!!!

Hope that goes some way to answering your question. :)
Thanks, you provided great insight into it. Much appreciated.

a916

Forbes review's byline for Nine Lives (1.9/10 current average review) is "Well at least it's better than Suicide Squad..." Is this dude delusional?

PBY

Banned
The hyperbole surrounding Squad is insane.

maybe, but i thought it was aggressively awful. I actually feel like it earned it, whereas bvs was just bad to me. this felt... amateurish? like, there are core pieces missing and basic filmmaking beats absent.

I dont know, I was just surprised by how much I left hating it. and i went in expecting a less than amazing movie.

Boke1879

Forbes review's byline for Nine Lives (1.9/10 current average review) is "Well at least it's better than Suicide Squad..." Is this dude delusional?

See this is stuff I can't stand. Not just this review but some really come out as bashfests. I liked the movie but I'll admit it's serviceable. Personally I think it does what it needs to for a general audience. Not great but not awful either.

IMO SS doesn't suffer from any of the same problems as BvS. This movie while it has bad/odd editing it's definitely a more coherent movie. It's straightforward and it all connects. Yes the plot and villain are weak. That would probably be my main complaint. But I still really enjoyed it and had fun. 7/10.

Now I also understand people not liking the movie. It's just how it is. But I guess my tastes don't match up with some of the more harsher reviews.

If he looks like anything other than he does in the comics I'll be beyond pissed.

I'd like them to replicate what Morrison did in Final Crisis where Darkseid couldn't appear on earth or be perceived by humans in god form so he had to corrupt a human host (Dan Turpin) who slowly started to look like him. I vote for Vin Diesel as Turpin, framed the right way and with some great make-up it could look perfect and he has the right voice.

Of course, this is just my fanboy wish, he'll just be a cgi blob like Doomsday and probably Steppenwolf.

Lombaszko

I'd like them to replicate what Morrison did in Final Crisis where Darkseid...
Yeah! Same here. I also just want to hear Batman say,
"For you, I'm making a once-in-a lifetime exception." So boss. I wonder if they can even do that without confusing people because he's used guns on screen (in the BvS Knightmare scene)?

Ahasverus

If he looks like anything other than he does in the comics I'll be beyond pissed.
Why would the New Gods look human? makes no sense. He also kinda looks like an ape.
I'd like them to replicate what Morrison did in Final Crisis where Darkseid couldn't appear on earth or be perceived by humans in god form so he had to corrupt a human host (Dan Turpin) who slowly started to look like him. I vote for Vin Diesel as Turpin, framed the right way and with some great make-up it could look perfect and he has the right voice.
This is good.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I have a feeling I'm going to like Joker in this one. Seems like a much different, thug-life Joker. There are 75 years to take from, and I hope they did do that. I'd like mind games, however.

Yeah! Same here. I also just want to hear Batman say,
"For you, I'm making a once-in-a lifetime exception." So boss. I wonder if they can even do that without confusing people because he's used guns on screen (in the BvS Knightmare scene)?

Oh man, and if they could replicate Darkseid's arrival on earth. Billions of people submit to anti-life while his minions put his helmet on his head and he gives humanity the thumb down... And after Batman
shoots Darkseid and gets himself killed (more or less), Superman falls from the sky in anger and blows up a (deserted) city block in his rage before seeing Darkseid fall though reality.
I love comics.

I'm just hurting myself by thinking about this stuff, audiences could never handle the glory of Morrison!

Tabby

I'm watching Assault on Arkham again and man, that Joker was so much better than what we got.
So disappointed we just got a love crazed mobster instead of Joker. What makes Harley and Joker so interesting was that despite the beatings that he gives her, she always comes back to him.

The fuck is that?

BTM

So I just got out of the theater and it isn't bad at all. It's far from a great film but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Deadshot, Amanda, Boomerang and even Diablo were all great. I knew going in that Harley would be great but she ended up exceeding those expectations. Margot was perfect. I also quite liked Leto's Joker and am excited to see him go up against Bats sometime.

Probably a 7/10 for me. Generic plot but most of the characters were great.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/05/jared-leto-unsure-about-jokers-journey-in-suicide-squad

We also asked Leto if he was upset about any of his scenes getting cut – as previously reported – to which he responded.

“Were there any that didn’t get cut? I’m asking you, were there any that didn’t get cut? There were so many scenes that got cut from the movie, I couldn’t even start. I think that the Joker… we did a lot of experimentation on the set, we explored a lot. There’s so much that we shot that’s not in the film.

“If I die anytime soon, it’s probably likely that it’ll surface somewhere. That’s the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out.”

As IGN left the room we told Leto we hope he doesn’t die anytime soon, to which he rather darkly responded “We all die.”

a916

I'm watching Assault on Arkham again and man, that Joker was so much better than what we got.
So disappointed we just got a love crazed mobster instead of Joker. What makes Harley and Joker so interesting was that despite the beatings that he gives her, she always comes back to him.

The fuck is that?

Tabby confirmed to not be a real DC fan.

Boke1879

I don't think he's pissed off he's just answering the question. He said they explored a lot on set the reality is some stuff just doesn't make it.

Personally I'm glad with the amount of screen time the Joker got. I didn't want his character to overshadow the others.

Leto will get his proper chance in the solo Batman film

I don't think he's pissed off he's just answering the question. He said they explored a lot on set the reality is some stuff just doesn't make it.

Personally I'm glad with the amount of screen time the Joker got. I didn't want his character to overshadow the others.

Leto will get his proper chance in the solo Batman film

He definitely sounds a little annoyed here:

“Were there any that didn’t get cut? I’m asking you, were there any that didn’t get cut?

If Shazam isn't getting made, they are sure as fuck still working Black Adam into something. DC are not gonna pass on the Rock being in one of their movies.

Leto got taken for a ride by WB, that's for sure.

Heck, most of the cast did save for Will Smith. Guy probably had a strong contract to prevent all the meddling.

Considering Ayer wrote the script with Smith in mind and it was always pitched as Deadshot's story, I doubt it had anything to do with his contract.

Boke1879

Eh I still don't think he's pissed maybe not ecstatic. He also said in another interview with Ayer that there are a lot of deleted scenes. It's a reality and part of the process. For all we know it was Ayers call to have less Joker.

That said he'll get his due in a solo movie where he isn't second fiddle to the squad.

The Joker thing was kinda handled dumb.

Back when he was casted and we saw these guys the first time in their costumes, I thought the Joker appearence in this movie would be minimal. Then the trailers started, a lot of Joker scenes with a lot of different clothing. So that raised the expectation in me that he is more in the movie, which isn't the case.

So yeah, disappointing, as the guy couldn't really proof himself and has to wait at least two years for it.

Keep in my mind, I haven't watched it yet.

Well yeah, Joker was supposed to be the star of the movie and he got fucked over. I'd be pissed too.

I don't think he was supposed to be the 'star' - it's called Suicide Squad and he's not in the squad or the main villain - but I expected his role to be larger. Having his own trailer gave that impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom