• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

dat condescension. keep fighting the comic book wars breh.
I don't give a damn about any comic book wars; Warner simply has yet to put out a DC movie that wasn't complete trash. The sad part is that this was the DC movie I was looking forward to the most because of how much I loved End of Watch but it didn't look all that good in the trailers and the actual movie lived up to that.

Boke1879

I don't give a damn about any comic book wars; Warner simply has yet to put out a DC movie that wasn't complete trash. The sad part is that this was the DC movie I was looking forward to the most because of how much I loved End of Watch but it didn't look all that good in the trailers and the actual movie lived up to that.

That's great but no need to paint people that may have had fun with the movie or even enjoyed it as people that had to do mental gymnastics to do so.

meh I haven't liked a david ayer movie since training day and that barely counts since he just wrote it. i was just in for joker and waller and harley tbh.

to be fair though so far they've hired some incredibly divisive and stylistic directors. ayer is about as cynical as it gets on film these days, not many people are fans of his movies. as soon as they announced he was getting these characters i imagined something along the lines of that movie "sabotage". and snyder is snyder.

i think the average critics and moviegoers will start seeing the type of movies they gel with more when wonder woman and especially flash comes out. provided the script and editing isn't a mess.

VanWinkle

Nolan trilogy is the best group of comic cook movies out there.

Wildest part of all this DCEU business is how many of the producers and talent behind this DCEU were shared on Nolan's trilogy.

yeah but that was a time when Nolan was able to do whatever the hell he wanted, no burden of throwing superman and flash and whatever in his movies either. he could have in effect killed bruce wayne if he wanted to tbh. his execution was better and he ended up being a lot more daring and ambitious with his vision imo. if they tasked him with making a DCU in the dark knight we would not have gotten such a good movie i bet. it would have been far less interesting too.

i really wish these films were not connected, i think we could have seen some interesting stuff. i'd personally love to see how mean snyder can get with the DC characters WITHOUT effecting the rest of the films. basically i just want a bunch of elseworlds films.

Firemind

Angry Joe: "You care about these characters."

Martin from Double Toasted: "You don't care about anybody." Also he's nitpicking the shit out of it. :lol

WhiteWolf

I hope some of those deleted scenes make it in the Blu Ray cut, at the very least all the Joker and Harley ones. It would be a way to drive sales even more so I don't know why they wouldn't. BvS Blu Ray sales were huge from what I read.

Why? what are they saying?

It felt rushed and could have used another 6 months of preproduction to work out the kinks, lots of stuff wasn't earned in the movie, it's kind of a mess and hops around a bit, which characters they liked and didn't like, should've been on a smaller scale, etc. Basically, a massive missed opportunity was their overall sentiment.

Ashhong

It felt rushed and could have used another 6 months of preproduction to work out the kinks, lots of stuff wasn't earned in the movie, it's kind of a mess and hops around a bit, which characters they liked and didn't like, should've been on a smaller scale, etc. Basically, a massive missed opportunity was their overall sentiment.

I think every DCEU movie has now had the complaint that something wasn't earned. Do you guys feel these are legit criticisms or are they too used to the long, multi-film buildup of Marvel? For example, I thought Superman's death was earned but many didn't.

Dear God no, that script and cast was awful. That was not the same George Millar that eventually did Fury Road.

Don't mean literally his Justice League, but in the sense we'd get an example of having both be successful. There's something of a double-edge about Nolan and the MCU being successful in that Hollywood is unoriginal. Instead of taking a step back and asking why they were successful, it's treated as a blueprint.

Psykoboy2

Saw it a bit ago and I really loved it!

I mean, maybe I was going in with shit expectations and that's why I'm so surprised as how much I liked it or....hell, I dunno. But my first initial impression is that it was awesome and I want more!

I think every DCEU movie has now had the complaint that something wasn't earned. Do you guys feel these are legit criticisms or are they too used to the long, multi-film buildup of Marvel? For example, I thought Superman's death was earned but many didn't.

SS spoilers:
I don't think some stuff is earned, especially the one example they really went in on in their video. Diablo somehow thinking the Squad is his family after just a few hours and most of those hours completely avoiding them except for the bar. He wants nothing to do with them and then all of a sudden he's like "YOU AIN'T GONNA TAKE THIS FAMILY FROM ME!" .. ok?

a916

The complaint about tone is stupid. Tone and quality of movie do not go hand in hand.

i'm damn sure the action would have been lit though. also post-social network i was more open to armie being a young bruce wayne.

Action would have been great, but I still don't see Hammer as Batman. Even at his.... would you call it height? of popularity, he never fit the bill.

Don't mean literally his Justice League, but in the sense we'd get an example of having both be successful. There's something of a double-edge about Nolan and the MCU being successful in that Hollywood is unoriginal. Instead of taking a step back and asking why they were successful, it's treated as a blueprint.

That's fair. I just think we need to make lemonade with these lemons. Make it a tight a focused movie, no more half measures, no more using editing to make colossal shifts in narrative.

Tabby

SS spoilers:
I don't think some stuff is earned, especially the one example they really went in on in their video. Diablo somehow thinking the Squad is his family after just a few hours and most of those hours completely avoiding them except for the bar. He wants nothing to do with them and then all of a sudden he's like "YOU AIN'T GONNA TAKE THIS FAMILY FROM ME!" .. ok?

I think that's more to do with him wanting redemption, he swore off using his powers and "he died", El Diablo doesn't exist anymore; then throughout the movie Floyd gets him to use his powers again, he opens up about what happened to him with Harley going "Own that shit", he starts to feel less guilty and at the end he finally finds a chance to make up for what he's done.

It's not like it's not earned, it's sort of there I suppose?

I think that's more to do with him wanting redemption, he swore off using his powers and "he died", El Diablo doesn't exist anymore; then throughout the movie Floyd gets him to use his powers again, he opens up about what happened to him with Harley going "Own that shit", he starts to feel less guilty and at the end he finally finds a chance to make up for what he's done.

It's not like it's not earned, it's sort of there I suppose?

Then do it in a different context instead of acting like these people who he knew for a couple hours are somehow super close to him. Just have him do it to redeem himself for the evil stuff he's done. At least it makes more sense from that perspective. Saying he's doing it for the Squad he barely interacts with for the whole film, doesn't really work if I sit down and think about it for a few minutes.

Ahasverus

I watched it again. Actually liked it more. It works as a fun movie. The audience liked it, but I think it might fall victim of its own hype. They ruined every Harley moment in the trailers.

Looooooool

M8 literally the only reason you ever post here is to stomp on somebody you think is being overly defensive of or positive on DC. That's IT. You are all about the fanboy wars.

ReiGun

I really think this might be a case where audiences and critics differ. I could see all the movie's issues and totally understand those critics who dislike it*, but I don't think the movie has anything that will be too jarring for general audiences who just want a fun time at the movies.

*Well....most. Those acting like the movie slapped their mama and lowered their credit score might have been doing a little too much.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't think anybody doubted a big opening weekend. The question has always been will it have legs beyond that

140M is much higher than what many estimated a couple months back. Many were predicting a GotG type opening. I believe WB has a 125M estimate.

At 140M all this has to do is squeak out better legs than BvS and it could hit 300M. I think WB has to be happy about that.

140M would be a bigger opening than any MCU film not featuring Iron Man.

Is that just for Friday or does that include Thursday numbers as well?

Thursday is included.

Ahasverus

And people say the DC brand has no power. Of course it's making lots of money.

$700M is very reasonable, AND IT SHOULD NOT BE, it's not that great at all, but it will sleepwalk to it. I think its success sends the wrong message to WB (Make shit and market it well, we'll eat it up).

All our hope must lay with the restructuring of DCfilms, but we're kinda in a risky place. They even pissed off Jared Leto, talent escape (and drought) is a very real threat to the DCU.

Boke1879

$700M is very reasonable, AND IT SHOULD NOT BE, it's not that great at all, but it will sleepwalk to it. I think its success sends the wrong message to WB (Make shit and market it well, we'll eat it up).

All our hope must lay with the restructuring of DCfilms, but we're kinda in a risky place. They even pissed off Jared Leto, talent escape (and drought) is a very real threat to the DCU.

Nah if they got that message. They wouldn't have restructured and done all they did. They know they need a critical hit.

'm really of two minds when it comes to this making 140m... I just hope WB keeps their fucking mitts off, scriptwriters figure out how to write a narrative, and editors learn how to edit film.

3N16MA

Banned

These OW prove that WB has audiences lining up to see DCEU films. They failed to capitalize on it by having films that were not well received by critics. Legs were cut short.

They managed to market the hell out of a film that features Harley as the biggest draw and Joker in a small role.

Effect

Saw it for a second time this evening and again the audience was into the film. Still enjoyed it as much as the first time I saw it as well. I will say that they could have done a lot better job with Croc's voice. It's a bit hard to hear him at times.

Ross61

Just imagine the legs on BvS if it was critically acclaimed. I wouldn't doubt that it would top Iron Man 3. The potential is there, they just need to utilize it.

Gleethor

So unlike BvS, I don't think any of the added extended universe bits really hurt the movie at all. They relegated
Bruce and Waller's chat to a post-credits scene (glad to see DC embracing these, who cares if Marvel is doing them too) and their use of Batman was surprisingly restrained compared to what it could have been. Flash's three second cameo was superfluous but still a nice acknowledgment of his connection to Boomerang.

I still see people complaining about setups for Justice League, but none of that is what's wrong with this movie.

Just imagine the legs on BvS if it was critically acclaimed. I wouldn't doubt that it would top Iron Man 3. The potential is there, they just need to utilize it.
The Dark Knight made 550K in the US alone because of the acclaim and word of Mouth. I thought BvS would actually reached those numbers assumin the movie was hitting the 70%

I feel the potential was misused by calling it BvS. I think they should've written a better reason for them to fight. I don't know, maybe a world finest should've been the movie.

Boke1879

It would definitely be well over a billion.

Just got out of my second showing. Still feel the same. Had fun and enjoyed watching it. Theater did as well. Probably gonna see it tomorrow one last time at matinee prices.

3N16MA

Banned

Civil War was praised by critics yet its legs are actually kind of weak (the worst of any MCU film). It failed to surpass IM3 even after opening bigger.

Not sure what happend there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom