• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw it, no idea where these really negative reviews are coming from. It's a solidly average movie, 6.5/10. It was a fun ride and I cared about most of the characters, Deadshot and Diablo stood out. Harley and Joker worked for me as well. Thought he was in it just enough but some of those cut scenes with Harley would've helped flesh out their relationship a little more. The Batman stuff was cool too, felt very comic book-y.

Yeah the villain was whatever, but I didn't care. I was there for the ride and it accomplished what it set out to do in my opinion.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Dark Knight made 550K in the US alone because of the acclaim and word of Mouth. I thought BvS would actually reached those numbers assumin the movie was hitting the 70%

I feel the potential was misused by calling it BvS. I think they should've written a better reason for them to fight. I don't know, maybe a world finest should've been the movie.
It should have just been called Dawn of Justice... A title which much better nailed what the film was about. BvS as a main title put up expectations that the movie had no intention of delivering on. The fight was not the main crux of the film at all in retrospect, just a part of the wider tapestry.

A few months ago I would not have pegged Suicide Squad to be even more divisive than BvS but here we are. Still very excited to see it hopefully in a couple days by myself since I for a free ticket from buying the BvS blu ray. If I like it I'll likely go again with my siblings who want to see it.

Boke1879

So unlike BvS, I don't think any of the added extended universe bits really hurt the movie at all. They relegated Bruce and Waller's chat to a post-credits scene (glad to see DC embracing these, who cares if Marvel is doing them too) and their use of Batman was surprisingly restrained compared to what it could have been. Flash's three second cameo was superfluous but still a nice acknowledgment of his connection to Boomerang.

I still see people complaining about setups for Justice League, but none of that is what's wrong with this movie.

I thought the world building stuff was done very well, made sense and did it's job in teasing. You may want to spoilertag some of that for those who haven't seen.

Civil War was praised by critics yet its legs are actually kind of weak (the worst of any MCU film). It failed to surpass IM3 even after opening bigger.

Not sure what happend there.

I honestly think there is a ceiling to these movies as far as money goes. Great reviews would push BvS and SS higher money wise though.

It should have just been called Dawn of Justice... A title which much better nailed what the film was about. BvS as a main title put up expectations that the movie had no intention of delivering on. The fight was not the main crux of the film at all in retrospect, just a part of the wider tapestry.
Yeah. For me the fight was incredibly disappointing. It didn't looked good or memeorable in my opinion.

I think it also doesn't help that this was their second movie the universe so of course there's going to be no weight to the battle. If this was movie 7th or higher I would've been more invested. Also the trailer showing doomsday and the trinity shot, since that hadn't happen in the movie yet.

Boke1879

Yeah. For me the fight was incredibly disappointing. It didn't looked good or memeorable in my opinion.

I think it also doesn't help that this was their second movie the universe so of course there's going to be no weight to the battle. If this was movie 7th or higher I would've been more invested. Also the trailer showing doomsday and the trinity shot, since that hadn't happen in the movie yet.

I doesn't even have to be the 7th movie. More like the 4th. After you establish your characters. I think if they did a Batman solo film first with the Batman in BvS more people would be receptive to how destructive and brutal Batman was.

Then you could still have a BvS movie. Or a Dawn of Justice movie. Make it more focused.

I don't give a damn about any comic book wars; Warner simply has yet to put out a DC movie that wasn't complete trash. The sad part is that this was the DC movie I was looking forward to the most because of how much I loved End of Watch but it didn't look all that good in the trailers and the actual movie lived up to that.

jonahjamesonlaugh.gif
all you ever do is fight fanboy wars. if you don't like it, fine. but don't shit on others for liking it.

I think every DCEU movie has now had the complaint that something wasn't earned. Do you guys feel these are legit criticisms or are they too used to the long, multi-film buildup of Marvel? For example, I thought Superman's death was earned but many didn't.

what does even mean really? "earned" it's a story, things happen. it's shorthand for certain people to try and sound sophisticated. a movie tells it's story, it shouldn't habve to worry about potential movies down the line.

A few months ago I would not have pegged Suicide Squad to be even more divisive than BvS but here we are. Still very excited to see it hopefully in a couple days by myself since I for a free ticket from buying the BvS blu ray. If I like it I'll likely go again with my siblings who want to see it.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm not sure it is.

Boke1879

Now which ultimate version should i buy? I LOVE Harley, but Deadshot look really really cool.

Thinking out loud here. If we are able to get a sequel to this movie and Ayer returns. I truly think Deathstroke and his mercenary army should be the threat in the next movie.

Ahasverus

I wonder what would make that difference? Shouldn't it always be either rotten or fresh?
Exactly. Read the article, the author says that in a 4 star system, 2.5 is 62, just like the writer gave to Suicide Squad intending a fresh Rating, but RT took it as a rotten anyway.

The reviewer decideds whether the movie is rotten or fresh.
Like is the move worth watching yes or no.

I actually don't mind this system. You put your review about the movie and gave a score. Even if the score looks to be good, is it worth watching? In there case, no.

jrush64

Banned
You can put jmood on your ignore list like I did. His angle is always very clear.

Anyway haven't seen the movie yet, seeing it on Sunday but all these impressions definitely point to me loving it. Can not wait.

Just saw it, no idea where these really negative reviews are coming from. It's a solidly average movie, 6.5/10. It was a fun ride and I cared about most of the characters, Deadshot and Diablo stood out. Harley and Joker worked for me as well. Thought he was in it just enough but some of those cut scenes with Harley would've helped flesh out their relationship a little more. The Batman stuff was cool too, felt very comic book-y.

Yeah the villain was whatever, but I didn't care. I was there for the ride and it accomplished what it set out to do in my opinion.

I agree with most of this although I might go a little lower with a 6. Maybe it's because I think David Ayer's a pretty subpar filmmaker and didn't have much hopes for it but the movie was perfectly fine disposable summer entertainment. Something you have fun watching in the theater and it pretty much fades a few weeks later.

I'm not sure if any of those cut parts really add anything to the movie either, if anything I would have liked the movie to be shorter.

Boke1879

I agree with most of this although I might go a little lower with a 6. Maybe it's because I think David Ayer's a pretty subpar filmmaker and didn't have much hopes for it but the movie was perfectly fine disposable summer entertainment. Something you have fun watching in the theater and it pretty much fades a few weeks later.

I'm not sure if any of those cut parts really add anything to the movie either, if anything I would have liked the movie to be shorter.

Personally I don't think the movie overstayed it's welcome which was a huge plus imo. Yea I'm curious if the cut parts even really add anything other than bloat.

Ahasverus

You can put xxx on your ignore list like I did. His angle is always very clear. .
Hahaha. My Ignore List is comprised of two gun nuts, some banned members and a lot, a lot of condescending fanboy warriors (Floating head avatars are a good indicator, for some reason) .

Sometimes I feel silly, and usually almost always read their posts anyway thinking "maybe I'm overracting.." then I read that stuff and my blood starts boiling hahaha. Some people man. Guek is like the limit I can tolerate, because he's adorable. Love you Guek <3

Anyway haven't seen the movie yet, seeing it on Sunday but all these impressions definitely point to me loving it. Can not wait.
Don't be too hyped haha. Nobody here /loves it/, chances are you aren't either.

Boke1879

You can put jmood on your ignore list like I did. His angle is always very clear.

A better movie could have been made. Don't hype yourself up too much. Just honestly go in thinking of having a fun time and I think you'll be fine.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm not sure it is.

Well it could just be from the sites/videos that I watch but it seemed to be for BvS theatrical version the response seemed to lean very much to the negative side even from comic/dc fanboys like Kevin Smith and Greg Miller. The Collider guys were slamming it for instance. For SS I'm seeing a mix of "I loved it and had a great time" or "it was okay" to "I hate it". Though critically its still being ripped apart like BvS but eh.

Personally I don't think the movie overstayed it's welcome which was a huge plus imo. Yea I'm curious if the cut parts even really add anything other than bloat.

I don't know if I really want more Joker because I thought he was going to be featured a lot less based on the initial reports. He seemed to be in it plenty for me, it wouldn't make sense for him to have as much screen time as Deadshot and Harley Quinn. Another factor is I also thought Leto was one of the weaker parts of the movie. Leto and the action scenes are probably what disappointed me the most.

I enjoyed the other parts of the cast more than Leto. Diablo was a good crowd pleasing role.

3N16MA

Banned
I wonder how well a Justice League Dark film would do? Seems offbeat enough to tap into the crowd that wants something different in a superhero film.

Too bad it won't happen with Guillermo del Toro.

ezekial45

Banned
Just came back. I enjoyed it. The general plot and dialog was boilerplate as fuck, the pacing was really weird, opening of the movie felt out of wack, and the soundtrack got a bit too obnoxious for for my tastes, but despite all that it was actually an OK movie. Not really bad, not really great, but it was fun and I had a nice time. I felt the reviews were a bit too over the top with their hatred. It was not that bad.

With that said, you can really tell DC/WB is struggling with how they're managing productions for these movies. This movie rushed this movie into production and it shows. A lot of the ideas and characters feel a bit undercooked, which results in scenes and exposition that feels a bit unearned.
The scene with El Diablo referring to the squad as his family was out of nowhere. They couldn't have bonded that quickly.
With that said, I'm absolutely down for another SS movie. If they've got more Harley, Deadshot, and Joker, I'm good.

Is the movie still tracking well?

Do you guys think that critics are less moderate today and have become more polarized in comparison to before? Like SS seems like a 6/10, middle of the road movie in many ways, but the discussion seems to be all or nothing at the level of critics. Do you guys think RT provide an incentive to remove nuance and go to the extreme while reviewing films as it removes the context in which the reviews are performed?

Ahasverus

Do you guys think that critics are less moderate today and have become more polarized in comparison to before? Like SS seems like a 6/10, middle of the road movie in many ways, but the discussion seems to be all or nothing at the level of critics. Do you guys think RT provide an incentive to remove nuance and go to the extreme while reviewing films as it removes the context in which the reviews are performed?
It's the headline war. There's a reason why we know the names of such as Devin Faraci, Scott Mendelssohn, Grace Randolph, McWeeny (lol), Umberto Gonzales and so on. It's better for their personal brands to make strong, familiar statements that give validation, so we could recognize them and look forward to their opinions.

That said, SS reviews are far less hyperbolic than the BvS ones. Dear God, they were all competing for the worst review they could write.

I think there are more movies to compare and contrast to then ever before. If this was 2002, Suicide Squad would have been reviewed much higher imo, because it was during a time when there was no formula to cape films. But now that there does exist a formula, its a lot clearer to see it done badly. A lot of critics want to give these movies the benefit of the doubt but cant help reacting negatively to what they see.

It's the headline war. There's a reason why we know the names of such as Devin Faraci, Scott Mendelssohn, Grace Randolph, McWeeny (lol), Umberto Gonzales and so on. It's better for their personal brands to make strong, familiar statements that give validation, so we could recognize them and look forward to their opinions.

That said, SS reviews are far less hyperbolic than the BvS ones. Dear God, they were all competing for the worst review they could write.
I honestly couldn't tell if they were, I just stopped reading reviews as they don't really represent the opinions of the average person. Why would critics that don't pay for their tickets, play ball with movie studios and hate watch a lot of films they don't care about because of job would be representative of me? They are waste of time IMO.

I hate the Us vs Them, 'Fuck the Critics' attitude that has developed. The critics dont 'get the film wrong', they just share their reaction to the film that is based off their deep knowledge of cinema. If you had a different reaction, good for you, no need to begin the conversation by shouting 'Fuck the Critics' and trusting Youtube personalities exclusively. There is no Marvel Bias or Agenda.

What kills you is that people blindly put faith in Youtubers because they are apparently real human beans, that reflect the views of the people. Then they act shocked to find out that they were sponsored secretly all along, because Youtubers have more incentive and less regulation when it comes to taking company checks.

BadAss2961

I hate the Us vs Them, 'Fuck the Critics' attitude that has developed. The critics dont 'get the film wrong', they just share their reaction to the film that is based off their deep knowledge of cinema. If you had a different reaction, good for you, no need to begin the conversation by shouting 'Fuck the Critics' and trusting Youtube personalities exclusively. There is no Marvel Bias or Agenda.
Fuck the critics.

I don't really have faith in any project apart from Batfleck solo tbh

I have faith in Aquaman too. Everything else needs to earn it at this point. And no, a good trailer or two is no longer enough.

Agreed.

It's easier to find writers you like, YouTube people who can be funny and entertain, that lot, than some aggregate calculation. Internet folk get too obsessed with finding an objective opinion.

What kills you is that people blindly put faith in Youtubers because they are apparently real human beans, that reflect the views of the people. Then they act shocked to find out that they were sponsored secretly all along, because Youtubers have more incentive and less regulation when it comes to taking company checks.

youtube personalities are critics too. they have channels and make money. there's no difference.

Can't wait until Snyder is actually the one who delivers with Justice League. Gonna be amazing watching the internet come to grips with it.

I still have some faith in Wonder Woman.

Ross61

I got faith in The Flash.
Because I want it to be good. Blind faith I suppose.

I have no faith in Justice League. Snyder is pretty bad at establishing mutilple characters. BvS needed more time and he's not getting it for JS
He did it well enough for Watchmen.

He did it well enough for Watchmen.
I've never seen watchmen. Don't think I will either because I always hear that you have to watch The directors cut. I don't watch directors cuts personally.

Perhaps I should say due to his recent films, I have no faith in Synder. He does deserve credit if he pulled it off in a previous movie

Cant fuck with the watchmen movie, intro is great but it is just so...boring. And some of the acting is terrible. Cast Malin Akerman as your major female lead brehs.... Only snyder movies I somewhat enjoyed were BvS Ultimate Edition and dawn of the dead

If man of Steel had a different writer I'd say that too. Script is so robotic tho. Only the Kents and Michael Shannon da gawd manage to somehow break through it at times.

Cant fuck with the watchmen movie, intro is great but it is just so...boring. And some of the acting is terrible. Cast Malin Akerman as your major female lead brehs.... Only snyder movies I somewhat enjoyed were BvS Ultimate Edition and dawn of the dead

Dawn of the Dead was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom