• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
He's being doing a completely awful job so far.

I'm surprised he hasn't stepped down from his position yet.

Ahasverus

They'd have to be literally mentally damaged to mess with a JK Rowling written film directed by Yates.
You'd have to be mentally damaged to butcher a Batman and Superman movie in 2016, and double down by doing the same with Suicide Squad,but here we are.

And being honest, JK kinda messed up her franchise with that sequel play.

Boke1879

You'd have to be mentally damaged to butcher a Batman and Superman movie in 2016, and double down by doing the same with Suicide Squad,but here we are.

And being honest, JK kinda messed up her franchise with that sequel play.

TBH as far as BvS goes. Even if they left it as is. I don't think the movie would have reviewed any better to be honest.

Ahasverus

TBH as far as BvS goes. Even if they left it as is. I don't think the movie would have reviewed any better to be honest.
Then they approved that script and concept. Remember how much pre and post production time they had? Scorcese would kill for a 4 years cycle for his next Oscar bait movie.

They'd have to be literally mentally damaged to mess with a JK Rowling written film directed by Yates.

bC663bp.png

He's being doing a completely awful job so far.

I'm surprised he hasn't stepped down from his position yet.

Hobbit movies carried him and the DC and Fantastic Beasts projects were, in a sense, his big test.

WB had two of the best films this year with Midnight Special and Nice Guys. But they've been sucking at getting blockbusters to be what they're meant to be.

Because historically bad drops and underperforming movies is bad for us DC fans that just want the films to keep flowing.
If they are bad,(not saying this one is), they should stop until they get it right. WB needs to understand something simple, they own the right to make movies based on these characters, but these characters have many owners who see them as something more than a product or IP, something to extract revenue from, people love these characters cause they are part of their identity, they need to please the true owners of these characters, those truly invested on them and do it while also providing a quality film. I'm changing my position on this, Marvel has the right approach, in order to balance these goals, WB is fumbling about and they need to get it right before they poison the characters.

Everyone knows that I don't have the same level of appreciation for the Marvel films as most of their fans, but it's fair to say that the majority of them seem to be satisfied with the MCU and they have adequate critical reception, so you cannot argue with the results. The key isn't Jokes, or humor, or quips, these films need to please the fans while at the same time be at an acceptable level of quality. Fans own these characters and are so invested in them that they are your evangelist for good and bad. So they need to get it together if they plan to succeed.

ryan299

They've been like "The story sucks really hard, but the visuals are great".

Yeah, most of the reviews I've seen have said the production is great. Some haven't even talked about the story all that much.

I didn't like the book at all. Felt like fan-fiction to me, but that seems to be a cliche'd statement these days.

ReiGun

It would have definitely been reviewed better. The UC doesn't turn it into a masterpiece, but it's a much better put together film.

BadAss2961

Everyone knows that I don't have the same level of appreciation for the Marvel films as most of their fans, but it's fair to say that the majority of them seem to be satisfied with the MCU and they have adequate critical reception, so you cannot argue with the results. The key isn't Jokes, or humor, or quips, these films need to please the fans while at the same time be at an acceptable level of quality. Fans own these characters and are so invested in them that they are your evangelist for good and bad. So they need to get it together if they plan to succeed.
Fanboys need validation. You can't please them without the critics these days, so it's all about critical reception. It wasn't this way before, no one used to give a shit about film critics, but review culture has kicked in like it did for games several years ago. The Marvel movies are fucking terrible, you know this. But for whatever reason, they're just safe and inoffensive enough to get a light pass from critics that don't usually have high praise for the movies, but leave a passing grade. After all, the RT percentage is the only thing most fans care about when it comes to critics.

If good reception from critics means a formula approach, i'd rather stay where we're at. Good reception is bound to happen at some point, even if only 1 out of every 5 movies or so.

Ashhong

I don't understand what the draw is of Harley for girls. She's not a role model, why would girls want to see her? I thought if anything Harley was in it for the guys...the sex appeal and all

Ross61

I don't understand what the draw is of Harley for girls. She's not a role model, why would girls want to see her? I thought if anything Harley was in it for the guys...the sex appeal and all
She's a survivor/overcame abuse and sex-positive.

ReiGun

She's a survivor of sexual abuse.

She represents a power fantasy based on freeing yourself and seeking out what makes you happy.

She's colorful and cutesy (her Superhero Girls incarnation is legit adorable).

And yes, sadly, some are drawn to her relationship with the Joker.

guek

Banned

Why do so many girls like Bella Swan or Anastasia Steele when they're both horrible role models that encourage dysfunctional relationships?

It's all about the fantasy :p

Ross61

You think these teen girls who are dressing up as Harley and reportedly coming out to watch it is because she's a survivor and overcame abuse? How many of them even know her backstory..
I don't know any teenage girl that cares about Harley so thats beyond me breh.

Just thought of how dope it would be for Michelle Maclaren to direct Justice League 2 but that bridge probably burnt.

Ross61

Also, I think working on Wonder Woman gave Johns a better appreciation of her character and made him understood her more. Because from the way he wrote her at first at the start of Justice League (New52) to Darkseid is completely different from each other.

And Mayimbe seems to have some news concerning the state of DCEU later this week.

antovolk

idk if any of you have seen this but the SS novelization is out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GUJMCY6/

I skimmed through it...yeah, sounds a lot like what we were going to get. The first half is put together a lot differently, with the flashbacks being more extended and flowing and fitting together a lot more naturally - in fact when watching the film you could tell acts 2/3 were a lot better paced than the opening.

Fanboys need validation. You can't please them without the critics these days, so it's all about critical reception. It wasn't this way before, no one used to give a shit about film critics, but review culture has kicked in like it did for games several years ago. The Marvel movies are fucking terrible, you know this. But for whatever reason, they're just safe and inoffensive enough to get a light pass from critics that don't usually have high praise for the movies, but leave a passing grade. After all, the RT percentage is the only thing most fans care about when it comes to critics.

If good reception from critics means a formula approach, i'd rather stay where we're at. Good reception is bound to happen at some point, even if only 1 out of every 5 movies or so.

I dunno, maybe it's a pride thing that feeds on itself. So yes, critics seem to matter a lot maybe cause they want public acceptance and reverence that's comparable to the one they feel for these characters. But regardless of the reasons WB needs to tweak their algorithm/formula and get it right.

I dunno, maybe it's a pride thing that feeds on itself. So yes, critics seem to matter a lot maybe cause they want public acceptance and reverence that's comparable to the one they feel for these characters. But regardless of the reasons WB needs to tweak their algorithm/formula and get it right.

That's part of it, but with the dogpiling culture of the internet, it becomes nearly impossible to even have a conversation about what worked and didn't work in a movie without constant posts about how horrible they are, often by people who never even saw the damned thing. I mean the Suicide Squad threads are all dumpster fires right now, and while you have the occasional DC Fanboy going too far, most posts are just shitting on the films nonstop by finding new and creative ways to call them the worst things ever.

ryan299

@GIteshPandya
Frontloaded opening wknd for #SuicideSquad. $65.3M FRI (incl THU night). SAT tumbled big 41% to $38.8M. SUN projected to dip 20% to $31M.\

$132M intl debut for #SuicideSquad putting global launch at $267.1M. Stellar $11.3M in Brazil going against start of #Olympics.

It will probably come in lower than 135, but a good start

Boke1879

The saturday to sunday drop doesn't seem so bad. Friday numbers were very good to that probably upped expectations.

I think even before reviews WB internals were at $125 million. With others at like $133 million. SO this seems in line with that.

Now to see how it does this week and into next weekend. I predict a big drop but we'll see.

antovolk

Deleted scene shots

That was just before the slap in that short clip I suppose. Can imagine Leto's disappointment.

Oh those are from the film. Scene reduced to 1-2 second flashes in that opening act intro to Harley though.

BvS opening credits IMAX edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCEeiFaopws Gonna be working to patch together my own "IMAX Edition" of the film...gonna need somewhere better than the Korean site this is from for the 16:9 TV version for the IMAX shots

ReiGun

I think the recent months with the DCEU have shown the dangers of listening to fans. WB fell over themselves to make Suicide Squad more appealing to those people who have spent the last 4 years complaining about the tone of their movies and such...only to watch those people turn around and claim that the tone was never the problem. Despite it coming up constantly...

Fanbases are fickle and have trouble articulating what they want. Often times because they don't know what they want; they repeat memes they heard. Or they use nebulous terms like "fun" or "good" that mean different things to different people and don't tell you much about what can be corrected.

I don't know. I think I'm just bummed that WB is panicking and giving into the demands of a public that changes its mind constantly and releasing inferior products as a result. We don't know if Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad is much better than what was released, but shit. If the guy is going to catch shit for his movie, let it at least be his movie that people are dragging to hell and back. Same with Zack tbh. The UC of BvS isn't a masterpiece by any measure, but pretty much everyone agree it's a marked improvement over the theatrical cut.

Problem is, you won't get to 5 movies at this rate.

Second problem is that the Marvel movies aren't terrible by any metric. BvS and SS are. Not flawed, bad. Some of you can't accept this for any reason, but they miss both mass market sense and fan appeal.

They do. There is an out, but it's way too early to use.
The problem is that Batman is the rock of the public consciousness for their films. He's the only human among the big 3, smart, tough and refuses to give up to put it mildly.

Thats the lens they should use. Superman, as they're portraying him here is a terrible take on the character. The idea that you can jumpstart into the team movie means that you have to use the most beloved take for each character--which means JL/JLU Supes and Bats, classic Luther, along with classic origins for Wonder Woman and Flash to eliminate confusion. It also means no Suicide Squad as one of the first movies because they won't have a connection to JL. It's not even a smart risk, it's just unnecessary. No one wouldve complained if Wonder Woman followed BvS, then Flash, then JL, then Batman, then Suicide Squad. The Supes movie can fuck off.

Instead, you get this under developed Superman, half DKR Batman, and team of villains with no grounding.
People want to like these films, it's not like the characters have lost appeal--there is simply not enough to really root for.

Conversely, Im sure Marvel saw these films and concluded they have nothing to worry about. People seeing the characters as hollow shells for marketing and merchandising vs personalities that people identified with for 50 years with some of comics finest stories behind them is the main problem, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon to fix it.

I think the recent months with the DCEU have shown the dangers of listening to fans. WB fell over themselves to make Suicide Squad more appealing to those people who have spent the last 4 years complaining about the tone of their movies and such...only to watch those people turn around and claim that the tone was never the problem. Despite it coming up constantly...

Fanbases are fickle and have trouble articulating what they want. Often times because they don't know what they want; they repeat memes they heard. Or they use nebulous terms like "fun" or "good" that mean different things to different people and don't tell you much about what can be corrected.

I don't know. I think I'm just bummed that WB is panicking and giving into the demands of a public that changes its mind constantly and releasing inferior products as a result. We don't know if Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad is much better than what was released, but shit. If the guy is going to catch shit for his movie, let it at least be his movie that people are dragging to hell and back. Same with Zack tbh. The UC of BvS isn't a masterpiece by any measure, but pretty much everyone agree it's a marked improvement over the theatrical cut.

I have loved all of it. Seriously. It's a breath of fresh air from the marvel formula. BVS wasn't good to me, not great. The Ultimate Cut was FANTASTIC. I loved Suicide Squad. I've seen it twice. Might go one more time. Do I believe there is a better cut of the film? Yes, I do. I want to see it. But I had fun with what I saw. The plot wasn't the best, Rick Flag is terrible. But the movie was fun and the characters were brought to life and perfectly cast. Yes some of them might have had shit screen time but they were all believable as the characters they were portraying. Deadshot, Harley, Boomerang, and Waller were stand outs. But the rest of the cast did great, just weren't given as much screen time. I love Leto Joker. I will die on that hill. His cut scenes make it hard for everyone to form an opinion but from what I saw I liked it just wish there was more. I stand by this movie. I stand by BVS UC, I stand by Man of Steel. I can't wait for Wonder Woman and Justice League. Maybe I'm biased, but the Marvel formula has grown stale to me. Haven't really enjoyed a Marvel film since Guardians of the Galaxy.

That's part of it, but with the dogpiling culture of the internet, it becomes nearly impossible to even have a conversation about what worked and didn't work in a movie without constant posts about how horrible they are, often by people who never even saw the damned thing. I mean the Suicide Squad threads are all dumpster fires right now, and while you have the occasional DC Fanboy going too far, most posts are just shitting on the films nonstop by finding new and creative ways to call them the worst things ever.

True, there's no point on trying to have a nuanced conversation on the movie cause everyone tries to portrait themselves as "so smart & refined" about the things that don't work in the movie by using tired and hyperbolic statements in which everything it's the worst thing ever in a movie and they feel the critics validate their "smart" arguments.

I did found is more easy to do that in this thread or IRL, I won't bother with the OT, there's no way to reason when everybody has positions that are so polarized.

ReiGun

Even if the movies were hits, Marvel would have nothing to worry about. The "competition" between the two has never really mattered much. The Dark Knight and Iron Man did nothing to affect each other's box office despite coming out the same year. Same with The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers. And pretty much every movie since.

General audiences don't care which company's logo shows up at the beginning of their time waster superhero movie.

Boke1879

So after seeing the movie a few times and seeing KDash post their pics of the figures they've gotten I've started to collect them lol.

The amazon exclusive Harley came in for me yesterday and last night after some drinking I ordered the Harley without the jacket, Deadshot and The Batman with the re-breather.

Also just preordered the amazon exclusive Blu-Ray/dvd pack with deadshot figure.

I liked the movie and I'm a DC nut. This just gives me an excuse to buy shit lol.

General audiences don't care which company's logo shows up at the beginning of their time waster superhero movie.

I agree with this statement cause it was hard explaining to people that don't read comics or follow business deals why deadpool and the X-Men aren't in the avengers even though it says Marvel and why it was such a big deal for them to include Spider-Man. It's hard explaining why Batman and Superman aren't in there to some people. But that's the General Audience and like it or not they keep the lights on

Even if the movies were hits, Marvel would have nothing to worry about. The "competition" between the two has never really mattered much. The Dark Knight and Iron Man did nothing to affect each other's box office despite coming out the same year. Same with The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers. And pretty much every movie since.

To clarify, worry means your films making less money because they are seen in a certain lens. General audiences do care about quality, and if you have less quality films, then your audience shrinks. And it's usually because one side is doing something different that works better. At which point, the logo is a warning sign vs prideful sigil.

So after seeing the movie a few times and seeing KDash post their pics of the figures they've gotten I've started to collect them lol.

The amazon exclusive Harley came in for me yesterday and last night after some drinking I ordered the Harley without the jacket, Deadshot and The Batman with the re-breather.

Also just preordered the amazon exclusive Blu-Ray/dvd pack with deadshot figure.

I liked the movie and I'm a DC nut. This just gives me an excuse to buy shit lol.

So far I have the 12" Harley and Joker
6" Harley and Joker
6" Harley Amazon Exclusive
And SDCC 6" Joker and Panda Man I got off of eBay.
I will probably buy them all except for Rick Flag cause fuck Rick Flag

I'll buy him won't I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom