• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

So far I have the 12" Harley and Joker
6" Harley and Joker
6" Harley Amazon Exclusive
And SDCC 6" Joker and Panda Man I got off of eBay.
I will probably buy them all except for Rick Flag cause fuck Rick Flag

I'll buy him won't I

I have no intentions on buying him, but then I might want to collect them all and if he's the only one I have left then I'll get him.

ReiGun

I agree with this statement cause it was hard explaining to people that don't read comics or follow business deals why deadpool and the X-Men aren't in the avengers even though it says Marvel and why it was such a big deal for them to include Spider-Man. It's hard explaining why Batman and Superman aren't in there to some people. But that's the General Audience and like it or not they keep the lights on
Right. They don't care. Hell, personally, I didn't know Marvel and DC were different things until I was in high school. I used to always wonder why Batman and Spider-Man were never in the same playsets. lol

To clarify, worry means your films making less money because they are seen in a certain lens. General audiences do care about quality, and if you have less quality films, then your audience shrinks. And it's usually because one side is doing something different that works better. At which point, the logo is a warning sign vs prideful sigil.

Right, but I don't think that Warner being more successful with DC films would change what audiences felt about Marvel films. That ship has petty much sailed, and I'd argue that hasn't really been a possibility since the first Avengers.

General audiences care about quality, but I don't think they have the same democratized, "one or the other" attitude that populates online communities. They're fine letting multiple people cook if they're serving their needs. Speaking anecdotally, most people I talk to say all these films just run together for them anyway.

3N16MA

Banned
The saturday to sunday drop doesn't seem so bad. Friday numbers were very good to that probably upped expectations.

I think even before reviews WB internals were at $125 million. With others at like $133 million. SO this seems in line with that.

Now to see how it does this week and into next weekend. I predict a big drop but we'll see.

WB may have underestimated the Sunday drop. Saturday may have held better than the initial numbers indicated.

If it holds at 135M and does a 2.00 multiplier (barely better than BvS) it would hit 270M. I have to think most people did not have it that high just a few months ago. WB would have to be happy with that. However the legs would still be concerning as it would indicate wasted potential.

I have no intentions on buying him, but then I might want to collect them all and if he's the only one I have left then I'll get him.

This is my problem exactly.
I need him to make Croc I think but God do I hate him
DIS HURS KERTARNA, CHELL KUT CHU DOWN LIKE.....CHES MOWIN DA LAWN
Fuck him

Boke1879

This is my problem exactly.
I need him to make Croc I think but God do I hate him
DIS HURS KERTARNA, CHELL KUT CHU DOWN LIKE.....CHES MOWIN DA LAWN
Fuck him

I thought he was a generic character. Generally inoffensive, but GOD DAMN that was the worst set of lines he spoke in the movie. Like he was trying too damn hard.

And no I don't think you need him for Croc. You just need all 3 versions of Harley, Purple and silver suit Joker and Katana I think.

Right. They don't care. Hell, personally, I didn't know Marvel and DC were different things until I was in high school. I used to always wonder why Batman and Spider-Man were never in the same playsets. lol

Right, but I don't think that Warner being more successful with DC films would change what audiences felt about Marvel films. That ship has petty much sailed, and I'd argue that hasn't really been a possibility since the first Avengers.

General audiences care about quality, but I don't think they have the same democratized, "one or the other" attitude that populates online communities. They're fine letting multiple people cook if they're serving their needs. Speaking anecdotally, most people I talk to say all these films just run together for them anyway.

Can result in influence. Theres not brand loyalty in the same way, just awareness. I want them all to succeed because I like comics. I'd like Valiant to win too.

I thought he was a generic character. Generally inoffensive, but GOD DAMN that was the worst set of lines he spoke in the movie. Like he was trying too damn hard.

And no I don't think you need him for Croc. You just need all 3 versions of Harley, Purple and silver suit Joker and Katana I think.

Hmm I'll have to check that. I have some nice figures pre-ordered but they don't release till next year
His line about
the explosive in the subway was just as bad but I don't remember it word for word. He sound likes Trevor Moore from the Whitest Kids You Know doing his red neck impression. I hated him on the first viewing and again on the second

Corpsepyre

Banned
I was thinking about what I want from WB's slate of DC films. Most may not agree, but here it goes...

I want them to nail a particular tone and work around that. May it even be a dark and gritty universe. Like Marvel has. If Marvel's films are to be 'fun, popcorn entertainment', DC should look to being something more by focusing on 1) grounded, cheaper, gritty superhero action films that don't necessarily focus on massive spectacles, and 2) Event films that are nothing like Marvel's, by focusing on more larger than life events and stories from the 75 year history that are, again, not focusing on huge as fuck 40 minute climactic showdowns, but something more cerebral, like Final Crisis for instance (though having toned down version of them won't hurt as every film will be its own thing, but they really need to nail the tone of their universe down).

I also want them to look at more risky projects down the line, like Doom Patrol, The Invisibles, Y: the Last Man, Batman's R.I.P storyline and more. It doesn't have to necessarily be focused on superheroes only. It's how they can differentiate themselves from Marvel, and be their own thing. The worst they can do is pander to the big audience, order re-shoots to make things more popcorn-ized and what not. Marvel has that space and will continue to do so.

Also, and this goes without saying, they need to stop interfering in their projects and have some faith in their filmmakers that they have chosen.

I was thinking about what I want from WB's slate of DC films. Most may not agree, but here it goes...

I want them to nail a particular tone and work around that. May it even be a dark and gritty universe. Like Marvel has. If Marvel's films are to be 'fun, popcorn entertainment', DC should look to being something more by focusing on 1) grounded, cheaper, gritty superhero action films that don't necessarily focus on massive spectacles, and 2) Event films that are nothing like Marvel's, by focusing on more larger than life events and stories from the 75 year history that are, again, not focusing on huge as fuck 40 minute climactic showdowns, but something more cerebral, like Final Crisis for instance (though having toned down version of them won't hurt as every film will be its own thing, but they really need to nail the tone of their universe down).

I also want them to look at more risky projects down the line, like Doom Patrol, The Invisibles, Y: the Last Man, Batman's R.I.P storyline and more. It doesn't have to necessarily be focused on superheroes only. It's how they can differentiate themselves from Marvel, and be their own thing. The worst they can do is pander to the big audience, order re-shoots to make things more popcorn-ized and what not. Marvel has that space and will continue to do so.

Also, and this goes without saying, they need to stop interfering in their projects and have some faith in their filmmakers that they have chosen.
They have already gone for dark and gritty and it didn't matter to the general Audience. Suicide squad is fun, which it should be. I feel like the movies should have a different tone depending on the characters but that does make it hard for the General Audience when they are expecting something. Just look at the difference in comics and it's easy to see. Batman/Detective Comics are dark and gritty. Harley Quinn is fun. Suicide Squad is fun/dark. The movie is fun/dark. This is how it should be but it's confusing to critics and the general audience.

Boke1879

They have already gone for dark and gritty and it didn't matter to the general Audience. Suicide squad is fun, which it should be. I feel like the movies should have a different tone depending on the characters but that does make it hard for the General Audience when they are expecting something. Just look at the difference in comics and it's easy to see. Batman/Detective Comics are dark and gritty. Harley Quinn is fun. Suicide Squad is fun/dark. The movie is fun/dark. This is how it should be but it's confusing to critics and the general audience.

A Batman solo movie should be serious, dark and gritty. The Flash movie shouldn't be a comedy but it should be light hearted in a sense. If you get what I mean.

A Batman solo movie should be serious, dark and gritty. The Flash movie shouldn't be a comedy but it should be light hearted in a sense. If you get what I mean.

I do. That's how these movies should be made. I think they are doing a great job regardless of what the critics think and want. The only thing they could improve on is story and sloppy editing because they are nailing the cast and characters

Most of those storylines need build up.
The dark part is what they're trying now, and isn't actually working because the core of what makes the characters light/good isn't actually there.

Which is odd, because the animated universe wins consistently doing this. Flashpoint, the Spectre short, Assault on Arkham, etc are all great. Which means it's down to personnel.

But they need to change something. Transformers movies make a billion whether critics like or not, largely because the audience knows what it's getting into. DCEU films do not have this luxury. A huge opening with no legs isn't really what you want, Box office wise.

Problem is, you won't get to 5 movies at this rate.

Second problem is that the Marvel movies aren't terrible by any metric. BvS and SS are. Not flawed, bad. Some of you can't accept this for any reason, but they miss both mass market sense and fan appeal.

They do. There is an out, but it's way too early to use.
The problem is that Batman is the rock of the public consciousness for their films. He's the only human among the big 3, smart, tough and refuses to give up to put it mildly.

Thats the lens they should use. Superman, as they're portraying him here is a terrible take on the character. The idea that you can jumpstart into the team movie means that you have to use the most beloved take for each character--which means JL/JLU Supes and Bats, classic Luther, along with classic origins for Wonder Woman and Flash to eliminate confusion. It also means no Suicide Squad as one of the first movies because they won't have a connection to JL. It's not even a smart risk, it's just unnecessary. No one wouldve complained if Wonder Woman followed BvS, then Flash, then JL, then Batman, then Suicide Squad. The Supes movie can fuck off.

Instead, you get this under developed Superman, half DKR Batman, and team of villains with no grounding.
People want to like these films, it's not like the characters have lost appeal--there is simply not enough to really root for.

Conversely, Im sure Marvel saw these films and concluded they have nothing to worry about. People seeing the characters as hollow shells for marketing and merchandising vs personalities that people identified with for 50 years with some of comics finest stories behind them is the main problem, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon to fix it.

critics have been kinder to Marvel, both Thors and IM 2 and 3 are.... not good at all.
GoTG besides it's comedy had mediocre action and villain, same with Ant-Man. only thing that saved those two movies was the humor (barely)
only the Captain America movies are of good to great quality.
perhaps DC came too late to the party and now critics are just willing to accept one CBM formula (the Marvel one)
saying that you have to introduce characters before hand is a tired talking point.

ryan299

Variety on improving DC films going forward. They back up THR's article about Squad's production problems and add this,

Insiders caution that the new DC regime wasn’t in place until “Suicide Squad” was far along in its production. Berg and Johns didn’t have sufficient time to correct the film’s tonal issues and gaping plot holes. Now all eyes turn to next summer’s “Wonder Woman,” which both men will have had far more influence in shaping. That film needs to prove once and for all that DC can make good movies, not just a successful ones.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't really see how any of the problems with these movies are going to be fixed by Johns. I feel like I'm going to be tired of hearing that guy's name pretty soon.

Boke1879

I don't really see how any of the problems with these movies are going to be fixed by Johns. I feel like I'm going to be tired of hearing that guy's name pretty soon.

I'm not saying he's the savior. But he does understand the material and maybe he can help give directors a good platform in order to make a movie without executives meddling. That seems to be the biggest issue right now.

With BvS the UC is a much more competent movie, don't know how well it would review but it's much better than the TC. Personally I don't think anything is inherently wrong with SS. Plot is a weak and there is some odd editing but it was a fun movie and I think audiences are definitely more receptive to it.

So after seeing the movie a few times and seeing KDash post their pics of the figures they've gotten I've started to collect them lol.

The amazon exclusive Harley came in for me yesterday and last night after some drinking I ordered the Harley without the jacket, Deadshot and The Batman with the re-breather.

Also just preordered the amazon exclusive Blu-Ray/dvd pack with deadshot figure.

I liked the movie and I'm a DC nut. This just gives me an excuse to buy shit lol.

So far I have the 12" Harley and Joker
6" Harley and Joker
6" Harley Amazon Exclusive
And SDCC 6" Joker and Panda Man I got off of eBay.
I will probably buy them all except for Rick Flag cause fuck Rick Flag

I'll buy him won't I

I haven't seen the movie yet (I went to the theater on Thursday to watch it with my family, but the seats were all full so we left and got a refund), but the Rick Flag figure is pretty cool. I really like how he has holsters for the knife and handgun that come with him, and he also brings a rifle and grenade launcher. He's like an awesome 6-inch G.I. Joe figure.
xpUWe4O.jpg
i8H6ODK.jpg
b8fZszq.jpg
HSeVkYI.jpg

8SaOJxT.jpg
ZhoeSSq.jpg
And yeah, he doesn't come with any pieces for Killer Croc. Neither does Diablo.

The only figures not out yet are these three, which come with the final pieces for Killer Croc (Katana brings the head and lower torso, Boomerang the left arm, and Joker the right leg).
The only other ones required to build Killer Croc are the non-jacket wearing Harley (she comes Croc's left leg), Deadshot (right arm), and Batman (upper torso). The other Joker and Harley figures include extra pieces to add a jacket and alternate hands to Killer Croc.

Ashhong

Does variety read gaf? It's hard to trust anything these publications say when it's just common sense that can be found here in this thread

Boke1879

I haven't seen the movie yet (I went to the theater on Thursday to watch it with my family, but the seats were all full so we left and got a refund), but the Rick Flag figure is pretty cool. I really like how he has holsters for the knife and handgun that come with him, and he also brings a rifle and grenade launcher. He's like an awesome 6-inch G.I. Joe figure.

And yeah, he doesn't come with any pieces for Killer Croc. Neither does Diablo.

The only figures not out yet are these three, which come with the final pieces for Killer Croc (Katana brings the head and lower torso, Boomerang the left arm, and Joker the right leg).

The only other ones required to build Killer Croc are the non-jacket wearing Harley (she comes Croc's left leg), Deadshot (right arm), and Batman (upper torso). The other Joker and Harley figures include extra pieces to add a jacket and alternate hands to Killer Croc.

Sigh I'll probably get Flag. I just wish he was like 10 bucks.

yuraya

Didn't want to post this in the other threads because they seem to be all over the place and not very discussion driven.

Anyways..saw the film yesterday and after sitting on the movie for a day I don't even know what to say. It was such a stupid movie but yet I liked all the characters. It was very memorable.

Nowhere near as good as BvS or MoS. But If WB wants to do this SS thing and give them a few more movies where they save the world in such a stupid way with stupid villains then I'm all for it. Something about the silliness worked for whatever reason. Everyone was just an idiot except Waller. The whole worst superheroes ever marketing actually made a lot of sense when you think about it. And when you have that type of Harley in it I don't see how you can make some serious Nolan/Snyder film out of it. It would ruin her character which was actually great. Ayer probably did the best he could given the outcome and this universe.

I would give it a 7 out of 10. If they release an ultimate cut with 30 more min of footage like BvS then I could probably go to an 8 out of 10.

Pros
- Deadshot
- Harley
- Bar scene

Cons
Audio production
CGI

Both of those cons were a massive downgrade compared to BvS. I don't get how people are saying they need to make 700 million in order to break even. The movie was cheaply made and couldn't have possibly cost more than like 75 million to make. There is no way Will Smith and the marketing is costing them half a billion. I don't buy it but wtvr.

some final thoughts.

A Joker + Harley movie needs to be made after this. There is just something very intriguing about their little on screen relationship in SS. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before as far as comic book movies go. They need to do more of it and make it very crazy. I really wanna see how Leto would scheme and plan against Batman. He seems to be a psycho and drugged up version of TAS Joker. He has a lot of class/style and seems to be extremely overpowered for this dark Snyder verse.

Deadshot better get some screen time in the solo Batman movie. Even if just as a part time villain or something.

Boke1879

I wonder why these reports come after the movie is out and not before. Would've been nice to know so I would never hype myself up.

Real talk. I think stuff like this goes on alot more than people know about. So when the movie comes out and is trashed among critics stories like this have more merit.

I am very interested in seeing how Rogue One goes. I remember reading that movie needed like reshoots for a large portion of the movie. So we'll see.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Didn't want to post this in the other threads because they seem to be all over the place and not very discussion driven.

Anyways..saw the film yesterday and after sitting on the movie for a day I don't even know what to say. It was such a stupid movie but yet I liked all the characters. It was very memorable.

Nowhere near as good as BvS or MoS. But If WB wants to do this SS thing and give them a few more movies where they save the world in such a stupid way with stupid villains then I'm all for it. Something about the silliness worked for whatever reason. Everyone was just an idiot except Waller. The whole worst superheroes ever marketing actually made a lot of sense when you think about it. And when you have that type of Harley in it I don't see how you can make some serious Nolan/Snyder film out of it. It would ruin her character which was actually great. Ayer probably did the best he could given the outcome and this universe.

I would give it a 7 out of 10. If they release an ultimate cut with 30 more min of footage like BvS then I could probably go to an 8 out of 10.

Pros
- Deadshot
- Harley
- Bar scene

Cons
Audio production
CGI

Both of those cons were a massive downgrade compared to BvS. I don't get how people are saying they need to make 700 million in order to break even. The movie was cheaply made and couldn't have possibly cost more than like 75 million to make. There is no way Will Smith and the marketing is costing them half a billion. I don't buy it but wtvr.

some final thoughts.

A Joker + Harley movie needs to be made after this. There is just something very intriguing about their little on screen relationship in SS. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before as far as comic book movies go. They need to do more of it and make it very crazy. I really wanna see how Leto would scheme and plan against Batman. He seems to be a psycho and drugged up version of TAS Joker. He has a lot of class/style and seems to be extremely overpowered for this dark Snyder verse.

Deadshot better get some screen time in the solo Batman movie. Even if just as a part time villain or something.

What do you mean by audio production? Can you elaborate on this con?

yuraya

What do you mean by audio production? Can you elaborate on this con?

There was just too much music. It wasn't bad or anything but the way they edited into scenes felt like it was lazy/rushed. A lot of it was clearly done to set (or change) the tone of the movie. Which I guess is fine for comedies but I felt like the experience was a massive step down compared to MoS/BvS.

jrush64

Banned
Ok, saw the movie earlier today.

It was so fucking goooooooood!!! We all had a blast watching it, so many laughs. El DIablo was my fav.

It wasn't perfect of course, but not even close to being as bad as critics are saying. Another case of critics just being snobby a-holes.

Story was simple and things seemed to go by pretty fast at the beginning but that wasn't a problem. I wish Katana, Boomerang and Croc had more screen time though. I hope they make a sequel.

SKWAD!!!

Ok, saw the movie earlier today.

It was so fucking goooooooood!!! We all had a blast watching it, so many laughs. El DIablo was my fav.

It wasn't perfect of course, but not even close to being as bad as critics are saying. Another case of critics just being snobby a-holes.

Story was simple and things seemed to go by pretty fast at the beginning but that wasn't a problem. I wish Katana, Boomerang and Croc had more screen time though. I hope they make a sequel.

SKWAD!!!

The worst parts for me were the scenes where you could tell the studio hand their hands on. Overall I loved it too, I thought it was great. I'm legitimately excited to watch it again, just looking for someone in my social circle who hasn seen it yet.

EzraMiller.gif

perhaps DC came too late to the party and now critics are just willing to accept one CBM formula (the Marvel one)
saying that you have to introduce characters before hand is a tired talking point.

Critics have been kinder to Marvel because the films have been better, by and large. You can say the other way hasn't worked because they're using different takes on the main characters. It's a valid critique at this point because the films aren't really resonating as well as they should. Or does anyone doubt we'll see a giant drop next week?

Real talk. I think stuff like this goes on alot more than people know about. So when the movie comes out and is trashed among critics stories like this have more merit.

I am very interested in seeing how Rogue One goes. I remember reading that movie needed like reshoots for a large portion of the movie. So we'll see.

Rogue One...eh, we'll see. The cast is great, but past that? Dunno.

Boke1879

Critics have been kinder to Marvel because the films have been better, by and large. You can say the other way hasn't worked because they're using different takes on the main characters. It's a valid critique at this point because the films aren't really resonating as well as they should. Or does anyone doubt we'll see a giant drop next week?

Rogue One...eh, we'll see. The cast is great, but past that? Dunno.

I hope Rogue One is good because I'm a huge Star Wars fan as well. We still haven't seen too much. I did like the first trailer though so we'll see, but yea I think they were saying the reshoots were for like 40% of the movie.

Corpsepyre

Banned

'As for some of the online haters – if a film doesn’t fit their pre-conceived notion, it is wrong. Female Ghostbusters, a black Deadshot, Ben Affleck as Batman (Affleck, by the way, does cameos as both Batman and Bruce Wayne in Suicide Squad and is terrific) – these are all sins and must be decried.

Give me a fucking break.'

---

Lol. Didn't know people had a problem with a black Deadshot.

IconGrist

Was there ever an outcry for black Perry White? I don't recall any but I didn't pay much attention to these things until after MoS. I didn't even know Snyder was directing it until the SDCC before its release.

Boke1879

'As for some of the online haters – if a film doesn’t fit their pre-conceived notion, it is wrong. Female Ghostbusters, a black Deadshot, Ben Affleck as Batman (Affleck, by the way, does cameos as both Batman and Bruce Wayne in Suicide Squad and is terrific) – these are all sins and must be decried.

---

Yea I don't think too many people had an issue with Deadshot in the movie. Maybe when Will was first cast in the role people had doubts.

Ross61

---

They was a small minority in the beginning, but mostly because it was Will Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom