• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

I don't see how anyone could be excited for anything Warner says now.

Well personally I'm excited we are getting another Superman movie, and I'm kinda reading in between the lines. With Johns in his new role it kinda tells me he's pushing of for this. That last line about getting the character "right" sounds like Johns imo. Since he knows the characters and material. I'm just happy he's coming back. It's important.

Ahasverus

It's a Mayimbe rumor, he writes for The Wrap now.

I love the guy, but he's as reliable as Miss Cleo. Nothing to see here, sadly.

They need to start dating these films. Flash doesn't have a date anymore and it's starting production in a few months. Surprised they haven't put a firm date down on Batman either.

I still believe Batman films next year at some point for that October 2018 date. However, I see Justice League 2 being pushed if they want to get the Superman sequel in before it. Otherwise Cavill is gonna have to pull a Gadot and film both back to back.

Ahasverus

I still believe Batman films next year at some point for that October 2018 date. However, I see Justice League 2 being pushed if they want to get the Superman sequel in before it. Otherwise Cavill is gonna have to pull a Gadot and film both back to back.
Not that he's drowning in projects, mind you.

Ahasverus

Mayimbe scoop, feel bad for Superman fans.
This is me right now

image.php

ryan299

October would be weird for Batman though, they'd want him in the summer. October is a date for obscure characters imo.

I can see them pushing JL2 to November 1, 2019, especially if JL 1 works next November.

a916

They need to start dating these films. Flash doesn't have a date anymore and it's starting production in a few months. Surprised they haven't put a firm date down on Batman either.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Shazam is pushed and they have Black Adam be the villain in MoS2

Why? There's a reason they don't have a date for Batman because even the script isn't done. Why have another SS on their hands and move into production before they are happy with the script.

Ahasverus

October would be weird for Batman though, they'd want him in the summer. October is a date for obscure characters imo.

I can see them pushing JL2 to November 1, 2019, especially if JL 1 works next November.
October is Oscar season ;)

Haha, no, really, If Affleck is aiming for the low key approach to Bman, it makes sense to launch it on october and not the crowded summer.

19 of 25. Have to watch again.

List of scenes that were cut and comparisons with the novelization:

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-cut-scenes/

It would have been nice to keep them all but ultimately nothing of great value was lost.

My problem with downplaying Harley's history with Joker is you downplay her eventual departure from Joker. Imagine if Jessica Jones' history with the Purple Man was treated the same way. Why even bother using that character?

Yeah but the joker does love Harley, in his own way. The purple man does not care for Jessica.

Dead

well not really...yet
The suicide squad novelization seems to match Ayer's original cut

• The story begins with June Moone investigating the caves. She'd being haunted by nightmares of a woman. She's travelled half way around the world to search for something that potentially may not exist. She knows the name 'Enchantress'. She is accompanied by two people, Manuel and Luis, mountain guides she has worked with for several years. She can also speak Spanish. The mountain guides refuse to go into the cave with her. It seems like June has been plagued by these dreams for a long time.
  • The story then goes to Arkham Asylum where it has been a peaceful night, until masked thugs descend from helicopters into the courtyard. They kill all the guards. The thugs are looking specifically for Harleen. "Doctor Quinzel. How nice of you to join us. You're looking... good enough to eat. Figuratively speaking, of course. I'm strictly vegan. At least today". The Joker then implies that the electroshock therapy is revenge for her doing it to him, and 'scorching what few dead and faded memories I had into a sizzling knot...'. In the film Harley seems to not fear the Joker but in here she's pleading for him to let her go. But then she starts to enjoy it, asking for more pain and pleasure.
  • Then we go to Deadshot who is out in town. He gives coupons to homeless men and then watches them scramble to get them. We get the scene with him preparing to shoot the guy.
  • Then we get the club scene which is largely unchanged.
  • A scene with Deadshot and his daughter that was in the movie, but also him arguing with his ex-wife, and then Batman.
  • Then the Joker and Harley in the car. We find out why the track is called 'You can't make my teeth hurt' and the line 'Hope you've got insurance'. The Joker doesn't give a shit and laughs at the fact that he drives into Gotham river leaving Harley to die. Batman says 'Joker took something important from me. It's my turn'.
  • Then Harley in Belle Reve and Deadshot, being taken by Griggs.
  • The Ace Chemicals scene is extended. It's implied the Joker makes her jump off as a joke, but then changes his mind similar to the film.
  • He (Joker) manages to jump out of the helicopter. The helicopter crashes into a bank building. He laughs knowing that money is burning inside. 'God, I love the smell of burning cash in the morning'. I haven't read up to there yet but from a search it appears that he's not in it after that which I find confusing. I'll keep reading. The story has the same ending, though, with the Joker breaking Harley out.

Description of the extended Ace Chemicals scene: The scene goes as follows:
  • Joker points down towards the vats.
  • Joker: "There. I was born down there."
  • Harley stares down. She desperately wants the same.
  • Joker: "Would you die for me?"
  • Harley nods.
  • Harley: "Yes."
  • Joker: "No... that's too easy. Would you live for me?"
  • Joker smiles, scaring her.
  • Joker: "Will you embrace me, and only me?"
  • Harley nods vigorously.
  • Joker: "Will you bind your spirit to mine... in hate? Do you consign your soul to me? Do you laugh at the world in disgust?"
  • Harley: "...yes."
  • Joker: "Do not say this oath thoughtlessly. Desire becomes surrender. Surrender becomes power. Do you want it? Do you really want it?"
  • Harley: "I do. I do."
  • Joker: "Then goodbye, Doctor Quinzel."
  • Joker gestures towards the edge of the vat. Without hesitation she jumps.
  • Joker thinks "She's gone, forever. Problem solved." He pauses and touches his chest. He feels something. Love? Of course not. He couldn't see her floating face down and dying. Which was the original plan. He jumps down

Batman sells in any month. All we've got is those dates, so that's what I'm working with in terms of slotting it. Warner Bros needs a strong Batman film as a studio and they need it ASAP.

Live By Night got a big jump forward to this January (probably limited December release for awards consideration considering it's October 2018 date was for that very reason). I think it got moved cause Ben will be filming Batman and won't be able to do the Oscar campaigning needed for Live By Night. He wraps Justice League in October, continues preproduction/script work on Batman while Oscar campaigning end of this year/start of next year. Filming starts at some point next summer.

jombag

This superman movie is a great opportunity to introduce Shazam. Just base this on the superman vs. black adam animation short and you already have a great villain for this movie.

BadAss2961

Shut up, I need this. Loved MoS (and BvS). Snyder da gawd.
He is da gawd, but Superman needs another look regardless.

Zack's gonna be exhausted anyway. The only DC movie that should potentially be on his plate for the foreseeable future is JL2.

I´ll never stop getting hyped for more DC (as goes for Marvel, Fox etc) comic book movies. I might be disappointed some times. But what is a world without hope. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, we will join them in the sun Gaf.

I liked MoS and BvS:Ultimate Edition ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IconGrist

I got 100% on the quiz but it messed me up with the "Whatever you do I will be watching you" because the answer is only correct going by the theatrical cut so I wasted time looking for, "Look at us..." lol

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I got 100% on the quiz but it messed me up with the "Whatever you do I will be watching you" because the answer is only correct going by the theatrical cut so I wasted time looking for, "Look at us..." lol

Get on my level, sucker.

SJRB

Gold Member
What are the chances of KGBeast ever returning? Maybe a cameo in Justice League of The Batman?

Dude was a total badass.

BadAss2961

What are the chances of KGBeast ever returning? Maybe a cameo in Justice League of The Batman?

Dude was a total badass.
I've been meaning to give him his props. He's awesome in the ultimate cut.

Would be cool to see a costumed return for him.

BadAss2961

Btw, Squad has to be one of the harder PG-13's out there. Never heard shit, bitch, and pussy so much in a PG-13.

Also
ass smacking, BET Uncut, pimp Joker, sexist Jokes, and Harley's provocative nature all around. Joker's cut scenes probably pushed it to an R.

Ninjimbo

I just got out of Suicide Squad, and fuck me, I thought film was savaged by somebody. Everything from the script, to the costumes, to the action sequences, to even the character depictions was well thought out and spot on. This is exactly what a Suicide Squad story should be, but why does it move faster than people racing a one hundred meter dash? Jeez, the first hour is supposed to be some good setup yet I feel its relegated to quips and character moments that fell flat because the scenes weren't transitioning smoothly.

The characters are written well. Very well and the flashbacks are all solid scenes. They're badly placed and the licensed music is out of place. Very out of place. Maybe it's cuz I watched BvS yesterday and I'm spoiled by the polish of that movie but SS feels so damn sloppy. It isn't until the bar scene where I feel the movie starts hitting its stride. That's what it should have been all along.

More thoughts later but it really does like a 6/10 movie. There's a solid script here and somebody fucked it up. Whether it's WB getting cold feet or Ayer switching shit up to please Marvel drones, someone messed it up. This movie could have been great. Everything was there.

rokero

Saw Suicide Squad the other day, and liked it, which is a little disappointing to me because I wanted to love it , firstly I'm still not sold on this Joker he comes off as a punk and the scene with common was extremely cringe worthy, there where other scenes where I liked him though like the butcher scene, so I hope its actually a case of cut scenes really screwing his performance and that he can actually deliver an awesome Joker, hope they at least give us deleted scenes in the home release to see more of his performance, the movie really lacked cool action moments for Boomerang, Katana and Deadshot imo, like the scene where Deadshot kills a bunch of bad guys atop the police car could have been more flashy, El Diablo's special effects were really bad and I agree with the notion that the character suddenly going
this is my family
felt forced, I really liked the profile intros they gave the characters that was awesome and the music was good though it could be a little on the nose sometimes

I really hope we get a sequel cuz the cast is solid and they all did a great job, they just need a better story and
editing
next time. also did Eastwood
die with the explotion ?

Effect

Mayimbe actually does ok with his DC stuff these days.

His DC stuff has largely been right. Especially now that he's purposely not dealing with story spoilers. I believe he said him stopping that has allowed him more access. I think he was among the group that invited out to the Justice League set as well so he's in the good graces of those at WB, etc.

As for how Superman should be there is no reason to tone down his power level. I want Superman to be Superman power wise. He can be that and have more of the personality and character interactions that are more classic superman now that he's matured as a character and person. I don't want him weakened to Thor levels or even Hulk levels and I certainly don't want him just lifting things ala Superman Returns. When he's fighting someone near his power I want shit being destroyed, be it the environment or buildings if it can't be helped. Man of Steel showcased how powerful and destructive a Superman would be in a city. That's accurate to the comics and cartoons. That's not something to shy away from. If people have a problem on that front then to bad. This is Superman we're talking about here.

Ninjimbo

Btw, Squad has to be one of the harder PG-13's out there. Never heard shit, bitch, and pussy so much in a PG-13.

Also
ass smacking, BET Uncut, pimp Joker, sexist Jokes, and Harley's provocative nature all around. Joker's cut scenes probably pushed it to an R.
For real. The dialogue was good. It has Ayer's touch all over it.

a916

Happy comic superman not breaking enough necks to suit your tastes?

The last one is a little too sappy... GAF still tears that quote about love in Interstellar even though it's infallible (you know, love unlike atomic matter, is bound by the unified quantum theory...)

I want both. And with Johns, you'll get your wish. Especially if he wants Superman to inspire hope. Cavill is an extremely charming individual, he's not even being used to his strengths yet.

GeeTeeCee

Just got back from seeing Suicide Squad.

I enjoyed it; I went in with measured expectations and got a solidly entertaining action flick as a result. Not a life changer of a film by any stretch of the imagination, but not the affront to the art of cinema some outlets were pushing it as.

The opening is a little too scattered for its own good (and the most obvious moments of executive meddling), but the character vignettes themselves were enjoyable at least.
Heck, I even enjoyed the brief shots of Batman doing typical Batman stuff.

The antagonist was a little weak -
the brother (whose name I can't even recall) was basically dumb muscle, while Enchantress was okay, if underdeveloped.

I honestly didn't mind Leto's Joker; didn't entirely sell me on him with the low screen time, but it seemed a decent enough effort. I've read enough comics with the Joker in them over the years to find room for this interpretation to exist.

Smith as Deadshot, Robbie as Quinn, and Courtney as Boomerang were highlights. Would've like a few more chances for the individual members of the squad to shine. Viola Davis was incredible as Amanda Waller.

So, yeah, I liked it. Not going to even bother posting this summary in OT. Comic book movies are serious business.

Edit: some of the faster paced action shots were a little hard to follow, but that was mostly down to the fact the cinema was packed with people and so I was sitting in the first row, craning my neck up at the screen. Not the most comfortable way to watch a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom