• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
I really like Suicide Squad. Watched it today!

Harley was my fave character, kicked so much ass but Deadshot surprised me too. Really, all the characters were good if mostly undeveloped. Leto's Joker was okay too. Felt a bit off, but I love how he looks!

The first half of the movie was actually kind of confusing and sloppy to be honest, but the next half really picked up and it was a fun actiony mess.

I loved how humanized Harley was in this movie.
She'll never have a normal life and family with the joker as seen in that vision but Enchantress. That was kind of corny but also sad.

All in all, a solid 7.5 movie, but really, again, my biggest issue is it just felt so all over the place like the pieces didn't quite fit together.

Like some of the humor in regards to Deadshot and his daughter, because it kind of comes into conflict with the tone set with the previous entries of the DCEU and even itself.

shingi70

Banned
More 4hcan rumors that may be from some dudes ass.

Warner Bros has put the Man of Steel sequel back in development. The film was put on hold after Man of Steel's disappointing performance at the box office, the studio was expecting at least 900 million from the film, and the negative reception the film received. There's a script written by David S. Goyer after Man of Steel which involved Brianiac as the villain and Kara Zor-El would make an appearance. At the end of the film, Superman would have left Earth to free all the worlds Brainiac had imprisoned. Another script has General Sam Lane as the villain with Intergang as a secondary villain. John Corben would be the leader of Intergang that lost his family in the Black Zero event.

Warner Bros will begin a soft reboot starting with Wonder Woman and Justice League. The films will be much lighter than Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman in terms of tone. Aquaman and Batman will still keep a serious tone while Flash, Superman and Shazam will be much lighter.

Justice League Two will be delayed and Green Lantern will be pushed forward to Cyborg's release date. This is part of Warner Bros' plan for a soft reboot. Shazam, Superman and Batman will come out in 2019 while Green Lantern will be the first film of 2020 followed by Justice League. The Green Lanterns are expected to have a major presence in Justice League Two.

Suicide Squad Two will take the October 5th, 2018 release date. David Ayer wants a more human threat for the sequel. Deathstroke, Bronze Tiger, Killer Frost, Poison Ivy and Catwoman have been discussed for the sequel.

Ocean Master and The Trench will be the villains for the solo Aquaman films. At one point Luke Evans and Karl Urban were in talks to play Ocean Master.

Reverse Flash will be the villain for the Flash film. The original script had Captain Cold as a secondary villain but the character was cut due to budget.

Ninjimbo

I like the idea of setting a Superman movie outside of Earh, but I wonder if it would be too silly for some people. Something like the War World episodes in JL.

WhiteWolf

I hope the Batfleck solo is darker than BvS. If a good chunk of the film takes place in one of the most deranged and dangerous places in all of DC comics, it needs to be dark and serious. As for Aquaman, at least with Wan directing and Johns on board, I am hopeful Aquaman will be done justice.

I doubt the executives will mess with WW much since it's written and overseen by Johns (fingers crossed).

I wonder if Wonder Women is going to try the Batman Begins tone and format.

Man of Steel did it alright. It just needed a better writer, I thought Zack did good directing it. My only complaints were the use of handheld cameras and the way he shot the tornado scene.

Then again. What would Wonder Women flashback to?

So I rewatched MoS.

They really could've cut out the scenes on Krypton. Like when Clark goes into the ship, he basically explains the same thing we just saw.

I wished they killed off Pa Kent differently.

Also, he smiles a lot, when he's with persons he loves.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Tabby

More 4hcan rumors that may be from some dudes ass.

Soft reboot? With Johns being involved? Sign me up.

I wonder if Wonder Women is going to try the Batman Begins tone and format.

Man of Steel did it alright. It just needed a better writer, I thought Zack did good directing it. My only complaints were the use of handheld cameras and the way he shot the tornado scene.

Then again. What would Wonder Women flashback to?

Whole movie is a flashback. I'd rather we get no flashbacks or flashforwards.

J_Viper

So I rewatched MoS.

They really could've cut out the scenes on Krypton. Like when Clark goes into the ship, he basically explains the same thing we just saw.

Yea, that into with Crowe riding around on a dragon was Attack of the Clones level of dumb shit

And that's MoS in a nutshell, 50% excellence/50% dumb shit

BadAss2961

I hope the Batfleck solo is darker than BvS. If a good chunk of the film takes place in one of the most deranged and dangerous places in all of DC comics, it needs to be dark and serious. As for Aquaman, at least with Wan directing and Johns on board, I am hopeful Aquaman will be done justice.

I doubt the executives will mess with WW much since it's written and overseen by Johns (fingers crossed).
I just want the Batman solo to be really grounded and not fall into a citywide threat for its final act.

I lnow nothing of Wonder Women.

So I really don't know what to expect from the movie.

I like that we got to see Kyprton in Man of Steel. I didn't like how "badass" they try to make Russell Crowes character. Takes down guards, Zod, rides a something, and dives underwater for a skull? I think a Fight with Zod should've been the only action scene for him

shingi70

Banned
Picked up the doomsday pop and it's bigger than I thought it would be. I'm still bummed out that there's no funko for either Lex Luthor or Amanda Waller.

It's funny that this Superman news immediately has jumped it to my most anticipated comic book movie. Superman is my guy, only second to Firestorm.

Ninjimbo

Yea, that into with Crowe riding around on a dragon was Attack of the Clones level of dumb shit

And that's MoS in a nutshell, 50% excellence/50% dumb shit

So I rewatched MoS.

I wished they killed off Pa Kent differently.

Also, he smiles a lot, when he's with persons he loves.
Y'all crazy. The Krypton sequence is one of the best things about the movie. It's a brief glimpse into the motivations behind Jor-El and the decaying society he was part of. Those scenes are worth it for the sheer novelty of seeing Krypton come to life in such a creative fashion. I wish it were longer. I think I could watch a whole movie with Zod and Jor talking about Krypton politics.

Dcube

Just got back from Squad, I think it's decent enough. It's a fun little summer action movie, had a few laughs, fun characters, cool action and visuals. Waller, Deadhshot, Harley, and Diablo were great, they should've given the rest of the team more to do. The plot was basic but it worked. I think giving the main characters more time to grow and develop with each other would have made the story more satisfying. I didn't mind the Joker, he was crazy and creepy, but he was underused. The cameos were pretty great too I thought. It overall didn't blow me away. I'd say it's worth a watch, entertaining, but ultimately forgettable. Still, the characters and world they built are fun enough, I'd be in for a sequel.

It kind of sucks I remember seeing cool stuff from the trailer that didn't make it in. I really hope we get en extended edition or at least get the clips of what was cut eventually.

IconGrist

I have very small complaints about MoS but it is still my favorite of the DCEU. Jor-El should have been creamed by Zod in their fight. Not the other way around.

BadAss2961

As long as the universe is running, another Superman solo was always a foregone conclusion. A lot of folks falsely made up their minds that WB would be putting him on the backburner.

guek

Banned
As long as the universe is running, another Superman solo was always a foregone conclusion. A lot of folks falsely made up their minds that WB would be putting him on the backburner.

Except it was put on the backburner. We don't have a date and we know it wont be in the next few years. Earliest it'll come to fruition is probably 2018 with 4 movies and 5 years between it and the first one, and even that's optimistic. Don't act like this announcement is in line with WB's master plan when it clearly hasn't been.

Penguin

Except it was put on the backburner. We don't have a date and we know it wont be in the next few years. Earliest it'll come to fruition is probably 2018 with 4 movies and 5 years between it and the first one, and even that's optimistic. Don't act like this announcement is in line with WB's master plan when it clearly hasn't been.

Eh yes and no

A solo Superman (and Batman) film was always announced to go along with this universe. They kept their dates flexible, I imagine due to the filming schedule.

Like it may not have been a priority with BvS and JL, but not like they just sprung a Supes film on us.

guek

Banned
Eh yes and no

A solo Superman (and Batman) film was always announced to go along with this universe. They kept their dates flexible, I imagine due to the filming schedule.

Like it may not have been a priority with BvS and JL, but not like they just sprung a Supes film on us.

Well this is the first time they've spoken about it like it's in the works. I'm not saying they didn't keep the possibility in mind but that's like the definition of being put on the backburner. It only just got put into active development which sounds like it only just got greenlit.

BadAss2961

It favors Batman, but BvS is in fact a Man of Steel sequel. So the gap's technically already been reset.

BadAss2961

You just said "Superman solo"
I said people thought WB would be putting him on the backburner, when that hasn't and isn't happening.

Supes is being used at a normal rate. With BvS centered around him, and another solo is in development, that'll be 3 Superman movies in 5-6 years. That's without even counting Justice League.

I just want the Batman solo to be really grounded and not fall into a citywide threat for its final act.

Most definitely. Drop him in Arkham Asylum, treat joker more like a Hannibal Lecter type of presence in jail, take notes from the first batman scene in BvS for the overall atmosphere of your batflick and you got a winner there.

Also use TDKs Gordon as the blueprint for the character. The way he spoke was in a sort of Michael Mann-like no nonsense professionalism. I loved that.

guek

Banned
I said people thought WB would be putting him on the backburner, when that hasn't and isn't happening.

Supes is being used at a normal rate. With BvS centered around him, and another solo is in development, that'll be 3 Superman movies in 5-6 years. That's without even counting Justice League.
That's still not what you said but sure, ok

Didn't WB say that there were solo Batman and Superman movies in development when they announced their big DCEU slate? I could have sworn I read that.

BadAss2961

That's still not what you said but sure, ok
Dude, you know what i'm getting at. There were guys who swore we wouldn't be getting another Superman movie anytime soon, if ever. That he'd mainly be a Justice League character and guest in other movies. That's where the big relief is coming from after this scoop.

I never thought they'd shelf him as a solo act. I'd always say this when people would start talking that shit.

IconGrist

Didn't WB say that there were solo Batman and Superman movies in development when they announced their big DCEU slate? I could have sworn I read that.

They did but before BvS there were rumors that WB was pushing for less Superman in favor of more Batman. Then the TC releases and there is a definite lack of Superman. Then comes the UC with all the returned Superman bits to only further legitimize that rumor. Followed by talk of the Batman solo and only the Batman solo. Cavill had no answers for what was going on beyond JL and WB never said a word past that initial comment from the investors call. It was looking pretty damn likely that Superman would be the Hulk of the DCEU.

Dead

well not really...yet
From the Spoiler thread, more rumours of deleted Suicide Squad scenes by someone claiming to have seen a screening in May

It opens with Amanda in the restaurant and she is listing off the squad and she starts with Harley and Joker

Harleen comes into Arkham Asylum and is quickly assigned to the joker. She was reluctant at first cause she was scared of him but she quickly was able to get over her fears and fall in love with him.

In the film Joker does have feelings for Harley but says he isnt good at showing emotions he prefers to use his fists or guns. That's when he asks her for a machine gun and she refuses. He then threatens her to kill her and hurt her and is trying to intimidate hee but you can see on her face that she isn't afraid of him anymore.

She leans in and kisses him across the table and tells him she'll get him what he needs and all he says is good, I have my boys coming they'll be here soon. I'll be sure to tell them to spare you, maybe.

Cut to a couple of hours later and all these men rush in and start killing all the doctors and say to go find Mr J. Harley comes in and let's him loose and gives him his gun and he says no doll face I like making these men go night night, kisses her and grabs a bat and goes through the asylum and beats everyone with a wooden boat that would become Harley's bat.

They then cut through all the other Squad members and their backstories.

It showed how Boomerang made all his Boomerangs like knives and the camera boomerang and it was just HILARIOUS.

Killer Croc is a true Croc, living in a swamp, mutated but swimming on shore and going into his swamp side home with raw meat hanging around and a big lazy boy couch.

With Joker appearing sporadically, bit always dealing with the main plot from the background. In the early screening he kills Griggs because he heard that he was making the moves on Harley and he slices him up with a butcher's knife. And he is covered in blood and walks out and just screams. "GET ME MY HARLEY"

Cut to Diablo living with his family and goes out and does deals and is a real gang member until he gets caught by his wife and accidentally sets the house on fire killing his kids and wife. They then put him in jail and that's where he burns all the other inmates in a prison riot.

Deadshot is pretty untouched, besides a couple more lines if dialogue he doesn't have much cut from the theatrical release.
And we see more of Katana's backstory.

The movies moves on relatively untouched until we get to the bar scene

The bar scene was more about the Squad and not just Diablo and Deadshot. They were all talking about how they all ended up in the bar. Each talking about their lives and their powers and how it effects them.

We then cut to the joker and Harley having a fight in their apartment and Joker storms out leaving Harley crying and she gets pissed and gets her motorcycle and follows him onto the highway and threatens to shoot him in the head if he doesn't stop being a prick. He then slaps her and tells her that this is how he can show her his love. They then kiss and ride around for a bit until joker gets the idea to make her more like him thats when they go to Ace Chemicals and that's when the original Alex Ross style costumes come in and we see them dance and it looks GORGEOUS.

Joker and Harley are then in their penthouse and Harley asks who Joker loves the most and he says the one person who makes me the happiest and the furious and she gets excited and hops on his lap and he stands and screams THE BAT. I miss our old squabbles I miss how angry he got! You remember the good old days Harley! When we took care of that little birdy! And it cuts to Batman holding Joker by the collar as a building is on fire in the background (probably Wayne manor) and he says you've crossed the line i'm gonna hurt you joker. And his response is "Not the face! I damage easily!" And it cuts back to the bar scene
Then the film continues on until they reach the end then joker shows up with half his face burned by the helicopter crash and tells Harley that it's been a rough night and to come home with daddy! And Deadshot shoots at him as joker goes on a tirade talking about how he's the king of Gotham and how he broke the bat and none of them even came close! He then drops the smoke grenade and leaves. Then the film moves on the same. And the ending where Joker breaks out Harley was added to the official release which I liked

I almost don't want to believe it, but a good chunk of these scene descriptions match leaked footage, stills and other media. Plus the dude did actually post in May that he saw it, so either he's lying and playing the loooooooong con, or he's legit. who knows.

So there is a cut somewhere that actually explains Jokers metal teeth and damaged tattoo? That's some really bad editing.

In superman's solo film I want some c-list villians to briefly show up in metropolis. Toyman, Titano,Livewire,
Mr.Klplztym
, toss them all in.

IconGrist

So there is a cut somewhere that actually explains Jokers metal teeth and damaged tattoo? That's some really bad editing.

In superman's solo film I want some c-list villians to briefly show up in metropolis. Toyman, Titano,Livewire,
Mr.Mytzlplyx
, toss them all in.

Lol, why did you spoiler and then horribly maim the spelling. :p

The Imp from the 5th Dimension should be relegated to those types of shorts Marvel used to do. Just little 9 minute scenes where Superman tricks him into saying his name backwards.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sounds like Leto has legitimate reasons to be upset, most of the cuts relate to his scenes
stuff that backs up whats in those list

- Harley on motorcycle seen in leaked set pics
- Harley threatening to shoot Joker before he slaps the shit out of her in leaked set video
- Promo still of Harley going in to kiss Joker
- Behind the scenes video with Joker holding a bat in Arkham

Also, the Batman chase with Joker was definitely originally longer

Ninjimbo

So there was more story cut out. The third act is when the movie felt like it was flowing too which is the part that wasn't touched. Awful move by WB.

Why the hell did they release this cut? I hope somebody at the company has the sense to put out a director's cut. It sounds like a better version of the movie.

BadAss2961

So there was more story cut out. The third act is when the movie felt like it was flowing too which is the part that wasn't touched. Awful move by WB.

Why the hell did they release this cut? I hope somebody at the company has the sense to put out a director's cut. It sounds like a better version of the movie.
It does sound better, it's the whole story.

I guess the shorter, fast-paced cut just won out in the end. Studio probably wanted a tight thrill ride coming off BvS. I thought it worked really well with what they ended up going for since it kept a fun pace without really breaking anything of what made the cut, but i'm definitely in favor of seeing Ayer's full vision.

It's criminal to cut Joker, especially such a good one. He's too important... Leaving out a lot of the gory details of the abusive part of the Harley relationship is my one gripe with this thing.

Whats with the twitter drama?

El Maybe says Grace Randolph is a racist for calling out his track record (which has been pretty fair for DC movies)

Everyone here cares about twitter drama right?

IconGrist

Whats with the twitter drama?

El Maybe says Grace Randolph is a racist for calling out his track record (which has been pretty fair for DC movies)

Everyone here cares about twitter drama right?

I saw someone imply Grace was racist but I don't remember it being Mayimbe. I wonder if Grace is just trying to get her name out there in order to drive new viewers. She's been on the offensive lately. Which would be fine and usually works but she's choosing the oddest battles.

Also, her 180 turn on Snyder between BvS and SS has been hilarious. First she was comparing him to Kubrick and now calls for his head because of SS.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, all of that sounds so fucking good. I kinda wish I didn't read it knowing what we could've had. Man oh man, all that extra Joker stuff is the kind of stuff I've always wanted to see in a movie. I realize that it really does put the onus on the Joker, when this isn't his movie, which I'm guessing is why it was cut. Especially considering that the
Enchantress/Incubus team
wasn't all that great of a villain.

Jeez, even that Batman/Joker scene which kinda explains the "damaged" tattoo would've made that a better pill to swallow. It... makes sense? In a weird, twisted Joker kind of way.

Ninjimbo

It does sound better, it's the whole story.

I guess the shorter, fast-paced cut just won out in the end. Studio probably wanted a tight thrill ride coming off BvS. I thought it worked really well with what they ended up going for since it kept a fun pace without really breaking anything of what made the cut, but i'm definitely in favor of seeing Ayer's full vision.

It's criminal to cut Joker, especially such a good one. He's too important... Leaving out a lot of the gory details of the abusive part of the Harley relationship is my one gripe with this thing.
Definitely agree with the spoilered part.

It's a shame that Joker got cut because I actually like what they're doing with him in this version. I don't think I've ever seen a Joker onscreen that treated Harley like a girlfriend. It was refreshing. I think the movie would have benefitted from seeing more of that twisted relationship. It would have been an interesting parallel to what was going on with Flagg and June Moon.

I get them wanting a faster movie. I think people would have enjoyed more of those flashbacks and character moments though cuz that whole cast, at least to me, is pretty damn charming. I would have loved seeing more of them especially Boomerang. I was even into Flagg's story.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I thought Leto had tremendous screen presence in SS. All of the cut scences probably would have turned it into his movie due to his talent so I understand the decision but I better get a damaged directors cut!

Yeah those are great scenes but I think ultimately it would have taken focus away from the squad. Maybe a directors cut. Come in WB you're batting .1000 so far with directors cuts, go for another and rake in the blu ray money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom