• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
ov26smy8veex.jpg

If you like this movie you're less of a human, sorry guys.

Now I just hope every DC movie has a 10% RT score and makes a bill in dollars. Hopefully that's enough to kill this moron.

User1608

Banned
Yeah, I don't get why people have to be so negative in that kind of way. It's so fucking stupid. They're just a bunch of assholes.

I know this was discussed a bit here, but I've been really thinking this one over a bit the last few days;

I hope they can pull off Wonder Woman. Sorry that I'm late on this. Just rewatched BvS twice the last month, and she really is awesome in the minimal screentime she has. Fucking badass. The DCEU has made me fall in love with the characters again, so it's nice to be occupied with some mostly fun fiction. I'm looking forward to the future.

guek

Banned
Yeah, I don't get why people have to be so negative in that kind of way. It's so fucking stupid. They're just a bunch of assholes.

It's likely cyclical. A handful of critics use harsh language, obsessive fans respond by attacking critics, critics respond in kind, rinse and repeat.

I know this was discussed a bit here, but I've been really thinking this one over a bit the last few days;

I hope they can pull off Wonder Woman. Sorry that I'm late on this. Just rewatched BvS twice the last month, and she really is awesome in the minimal screentime she has. Fucking badass. The DCEU has made me fall in love with the characters again, so it's nice to be occupied with some mostly fun fiction. I'm looking forward to the future.

Bolded parts. Yes. Me too !

I like what I see from her trailer so far, too 😃

I've kind of stopped bothering with film reviews now. These "critics" are more concerned with their hyperbole-laden nonsense than actual critique of a film, especially for blockbusters. While I thought Squad was a mess, I'm sure I enjoyed it infinitely more than this miserable lot.

VanWinkle

I hate the whole "forget the critics; the critics don't matter" stuff, but one thing I dislike is that movies like this get SO much hyperbole from them. There is no way the movie is AS bad as some of them say. It 100% has problems, some big, but holy crap. And that hyperbole FEEDS the public who dislike it and word their distaste like the critics do. It's a cycle of hyperbole, and it's toxic.

So, while I think critics are important and generally do a good job of giving an accurate consensus, I do get frustrated with them in instances like this.

a916

I've kind of stopped bothering with film reviews now. These "critics" are more concerned with their hyperbole-laden nonsense than actual critique of a film, especially for blockbusters. While I thought Squad was a mess, I'm sure I enjoyed it infinitely more than this miserable lot.

Instead of telling me how the movie stumbled you get hot garbage like, "DOES THIS MOVIE GIVE YOU EYE CANCER? I THINK SO" or "WORSE THAN THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME"...

Sorry, but you're not worth the paper that you write on if you can't write a review without resorting to sensational hyperbole. Pack it up... just because you've managed to find yourself a platform to talk on doesn't mean you're a good writer.

From the Spoiler thread, more rumours of deleted Suicide Squad scenes by someone claiming to have seen a screening in May

If WB wanted to make more money, why would they even think twice to
remove Joker/Batman from the movie?

Boke1879

I hate the whole "forget the critics; the critics don't matter" stuff, but one thing I dislike is that movies like this get SO much hyperbole from them. There is no way the movie is AS bad as some of them say. It 100% has problems, some big, but holy crap. And that hyperbole FEEDS the public who dislike it and word their distaste like the critics do. It's a cycle of hyperbole, and it's toxic.

So, while I think critics are important and generally do a good job of giving an accurate consensus, I do get frustrated with them in instances like this.

Yup. Completely agree with this. When you get into the nitty gritty of some reviews it honestly seems like the movie killed a family member. Some of the wording is just toxic. At that point I don't even think it's about the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
I received the Squad Making of Book. Not only has tons of concept arts, but replicas of stuff from the movie like Waller's dossier, photos, tattoos, a Joker card, etc, etc.

One of the coolest making of books Ive seen in a long time. Ill post pics if anyones interested.

VanWinkle

I received the Squad Making of Book. Not only has tons of concept arts, but replicas of stuff from the movie like Waller's dossier, photos, tattoos, a Joker card, etc, etc.

One of the coolest making of books Ive seen in a long time. Ill post pics if anyones interested.

Cool, I'd like to see some pics.

Boke1879

Instead of telling me how the movie stumbled you get hot garbage like, "DOES THIS MOVIE GIVE YOU EYE CANCER? I THINK SO" or "WORSE THAN THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME"...

Sorry, but you're not worth the paper that you write on if you can't write a review without resorting to sensational hyperbole. Pack it up... just because you've managed to find yourself a platform to talk on doesn't mean you're a good writer.

Too often I think reviewers try to be clever. Which is why you get a bunch of shit like that. Because honestly who really reads reviews? Most people are looking at a score. So if a movie is getting panned wording like that stands out and garners attention.

In a certain light I understand some of the hyperbole. At the end of the day it's their job to drive traffic, cater to their audience, what have you. But this lame piece, what audience are you catering to? why?

User1608

Banned
It's likely cyclical. A handful of critics use harsh language, obsessive fans respond by attacking critics, critics respond in kind, rinse and repeat.
Gah, I don't know how they can feed off negative attention like that.
Bolded parts. Yes. Me too !

I like what I see from her trailer so far, too 😃
😄

Absolutely agreed.

jrush64

Banned

While I agree with you, I think people say forget the critics because of the hyperbole like you mentioned. Over-exaggerated negative hyperbole that just isn't true.

I read "Suicide Squad was an all out assault on my senses". If a film can make you say such stupid sit, I'm just gonna stop taking your seriously.

guek

Banned

This is actually one of the benefits of the RT%. A simple yes or no system takes out the hyperbole of 0/10 "worst movie ever" scores. But of course, the RT% becomes increasingly less reliable at either extremes on the % spectrum.

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly Im not sure why Metacritic isn't as widely used as RT. It filters out a lot of the literal nobodies who have no business putting pen to paper, let alone reviewing a movie, and the average score tends to be a much better reflection of the actual critical reception (often matching the average score on RT that everyone always ignores.

guek

Banned
Honestly Im not sure why Metacritic isn't as widely used as RT. It filters out a lot of the literal nobodies who have no business putting pen to paper, let alone reviewing a movie, and the average score tends to be a much better reflection of the actual critical reception (often matching the average score on RT that everyone always ignores.

It mostly comes down to precedence. RT was the first big movie review aggregate site so it's the defacto standard. Metacritic is more commonly used for music and games. The curating of reviewers is also a pro/con thing because of the way they assign weight to certain reviewers over others. The criteria for weighting scores is not fully disclosed but it appears that it's mostly based on the size of the publication, so places like IGN gets more weight than a smaller website regardless of the quality of the reviews.

Dead

well not really...yet
Movie Enchantress subtitles:

"Humans worship machines now. Ill build a machine that will destroy them all"

Enchantress quote from the Making of Book:

Incubus: "You'll Destroy their world"

E: "No, we will grind it into our dreams. And make of it what we want. And be gods again. And the human animals will despair what they did to us. Forever."

Why

E: "No, we will grind it into our dreams. And make of it what we want. And be gods again. And the human animals will despair what they did to us. Forever."

Why

They white people'd that shit.

VanWinkle

Why

Wow. Bizarre. It was just subtitles, too. They could have just switched it out with that way better version so easily.

Jonogunn

Suicide squad was definitely one of this CBM's that didn't need a world ending villain with insane powers. It would have worked better with a more grounded take.

Suicide Squad needed a more grounded story where the team carried out a black op in some obscure Eastern European country for the US government. They did not need to fight a fucking dance goddess and the Asgard robot from the first Thor film.

Ninjimbo

Worst fucking movie I've seen all year. There are a few positives in there but it's not worth discussing all that much.
I want to discuss the bar scene at some point because, thinking back on it, that was one of the few times the movie felt special.

What Harley tells El Diablo in that scene got to me. Up until that point, I wasn't really impressed with Robbie. What she does in that scene brings out the conflict and tragedy of the character and it made me think, "Yeah, she's perfect."

Even though I wasn't high on SS, I have an urge to watch it again to soak in some of those scenes.

Ross61

I guess this is what happens when your to faithful to the comics. This is why I keep saying do Onslaught for the next film.

Why

Whyyyyy

The book one is so much better. Whyyyyy

IconGrist

I'm just waiting for the influx of opinions to die down because any real conversation won't begin until then. It took the Ultimate Cut of BvS releasing before you could find any lengthy civil discussion there.

On another note, I'm genuinely curious where all the hate for Jared Leto stems from. He was just that guy that never ages and now, out of the blue, he's like a blight on the movie industry. I was just watching some video on IGN where Leto was talking about it being interesting to have his Joker mess with Superman and I made the mistake of looking at the comments. Did he kick a baby off a cliff or something? What the hell..?

I wonder if they will address Supergirl in MoS 2.

Why does guek pay so much attention to Superman's crotch?

INST, that baby getting all excited at the Flight scene in MoS is so damn cute. I wish my daughter was the same way but she is all about the Bat. I may have to disown her.

Anyone who had a good time with the film and thought the critics were wrong is being hard labeled a "delusional fanboy" in the OT threads now. I guess all my college friends and Twitter friends, none of whom follow comic books, are delusional DC fanboys.

i wouldn't start using those names unless they say something stupid like "marvel/dc just got the winning formula. perfect films, they get the characters RIGHT. stay losing, stay salty etc. etc." but i do completely disagree with your opinion on this if you think it's good or even better than mos/bvs.

i did like will and viola though for the most part. damn shame how squandered the joker's character was. what little we got wasn't interesting in the slightest.

i wouldn't start using those names unless they say something stupid like "marvel/dc just got the winning formula. perfect films, they get the characters RIGHT. stay losing, stay salty etc. etc." but i do completely disagree with your opinion on this if you think it's good or even better than mos/bvs.

i did like will and viola though for the most part. damn shame how squandered the joker's character was. what little we got wasn't interesting in the slightest.

Squad is an above average film for me. That's a 6/10 on my scale. It's kinda forgettable, and somewhat flawed, but damn, I had fun. It's not better than Man of Steel or Batman v Superman though. I can see where the criticisms are coming from, but I guess I did enjoy it to a certain extent, and there's no point faking opinions just to please others. I don't hate Marvel or anything; I'm simply not interested in their way of filmmaking and Marvel's characters never struck me as particularly interesting. But you'll never find me shitposting about those films. I'm just a DC fan, not a Marvel hater.

I'm simply not interested in their way of filmmaking and Marvel's characters never struck me as particularly interesting.

i'm with you there for the most part. but honestly suicide squad just felt like a very poor rendition of a mcu flick so I wouldn't say this interested me either aside from the characters they were playing with.

BvS though. I can definitely fuck with more stuff like that but with better plotting and scripts and pacing hopefully.

i'm with you there for the most part. but honestly suicide squad just felt like a very poor rendition of a mcu flick so I wouldn't say this interested me either aside from the characters they were playing with.

BvS though. I can definitely fuck with more stuff like that but with better plotting and scripts and pacing hopefully.

I agree. It did feel like a shoddily made Marvel film, but the characters carried it for me. I didn't care for most jokes. Heck, only one or two jokes got a slight chuckle out of me. In fact, I'd have preferred the more somber and cerebral version that Ayer was originally making. I don't want middle school humor in my comic book films. Make them good enough so they don't have to rely on lame jokes to capture viewers' attention. Instead, focus on subtle, dark humor, like The Dark Knight trilogy did. I hope the "jokey" Justice League trailer is just that: a trailer full of jokes. I'd be bummed if Batman is cracking jokes throughout the film.

does anybody think Wan will shoot for a small Michael Phelps cameo in Aquaman? I think that would be great honestly, even just a little camera shot of him in the ranks of the atlanteans. Dudes the real aquagawd.

Dead

well not really...yet

They fucked up the minute they removed almost all trace of whatever messed up grimy shit they had shot in order to make it as toothless as possible.

I have no doubt the movie originally had the same tone as the original comic-con reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom