• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the notion the film is declared a mess when it's 10 months from release. Granted, that amount of time gives the suits at WB enough time to put together 10 different cuts to compete with Jenkins' cut.

J_Viper

Just saw her tweets, damn. She did not like it one bit, love her enthusiasm. But I still don't see WW doing good.

People will keep bitching about Gadot, while letting generic white male action star #4273940 slide. See Chris Hemsworth.

Not sure about the BO either.

Hems is great though. He not only has the physicality, but he nails the humor as well. The scene between him and Loki on earth in the SHIELD base is some damn fine acting.

I don't hate Gal, and I think she bounces off Ben well enough, but she's got a lot to prove. I'm hoping Patty Jenkins can extract the best from her

Hems is great though. He not only has the physicality, but he nails the humor as well. The scene between him and Loki on earth in the SHIELD base is some damn fine acting.

I don't hate Gal, and I think she bounces off Ben well enough, but she's got a lot to prove. I'm hoping Patty Jenkins can extract the best from her

i like you and your positivity! :>

BadAss2961

I love the notion the film is declared a mess when it's 10 months from release. Granted, that amount of time gives the suits at WB enough time to put together 10 different cuts to compete with Jenkins' cut.
It's clearly bullshit. People taking the word of some disgruntled ex as gospel. Spouting the same stuff i've already seen from dudes on message boards.

Box office thread is pretty quiet since Squad is still winning. So former employee is the new go to spot for some good ol' WB/DC hate.
Patty seems very confident about the film.

Ayer was super confident in Suicide Squad. Rightfully so though, imo.

Patty Jenkins
‏@PattyJenks

Real lasso of truth, time, will reveal that letter to be false soon enough. But lame something so transparent in its agenda gets traction.

She's not wrong.

Even if you don't want to believe her, El Maybe and Faraci also calling foul on the letter. But between them, there's a 33% certainty the letter is fake. Drat.

Boke1879

I don't doubt that ex employee isn't saying some real shit. But she's clearly disgruntled. WW is 10 months out. That person knew that letter would get some traction and just decided to let it all out.

It feels like there are two camps internally at Warner Bros. One that is the status quo and the other that seems to be hell bent on negative press to force a change in executives or finally force a purchase of the entire company.

mooncakes

Jared Leto, who has second billing in “Suicide Squad” despite appearing onscreen for about 10 total minutes, has said that he thinks there was enough Joker footage shot to lend itself to its own movie. Says Roven.

“David Ayer shoots a tremendous amount of footage, and when it comes to things having to do with the Joker, Jared does many takes and all the takes are very, very different, and sometimes the scenes can go on for a very long time, and sometimes the scenes can be, when you’re more on page, tighter, etc. Sometimes those impromptu scenes are fantastic, sometimes they’re not. That’s all part of the process.What you don’t want to do is you don’t want to limit the process.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...-success-backlash-cut-scenes-and-zack-snyder/

Dead

well not really...yet
Movie blogs continue to prove they are literally garbage.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-in-trouble/

Run an article on a paper thin flame post by a supposed former WB employee.

They don't even question whether this is a real employee or not, they just take this at face value. They then run Patty Jenkins' rebuttal, and then follow that up with "All that said… is anyone really shocked to hear Wonder Woman might be in trouble?"

These sites are literally a joke. Fucking disgrace.

Tabby

Movie blogs continue to prove they are literally garbage.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-in-trouble/

Run an article on a paper thin flame post by a supposed former WB employee.

They don't even question whether this is a real employee or not, they just take this at face value. They then run Patty Jenkins' rebuttal, and then follow that up with "All that said… is anyone really shocked to hear Wonder Woman might be in trouble?"

These sites are literally a joke. Fucking disgrace.

Anything for clicks man. I wouldn't even link it, just screencaps. Don't give them the clicks they want. It's fucking disgusting.

IconGrist

Anything bad news DC related is hot for the clicks right now. It'll be that way until it stops being that way. When that is will be anyone's guess. Even if WW knocks it out of the park there's still Snyder's JL which will be ripe for the clickbait articles.

Tabby

Anything bad news DC related is hot for the clicks right now. It'll be that way until it stops being that way. When that is will be anyone's guess. Even if WW knocks it out of the park there's still Snyder's JL which will be ripe for the clickbait articles.

Your profile picture makes me sad.

It's a shame, to get a good $1b+ movie this is just 1/3 of it.

Ashhong

I dont understand what all the hooplah is about that letter. There wasn't a single thing in there that wasnt already known, nor was it already rumored before. It was just one person complaining about how poor the movies have been, except with an added twist of sympathy for ex-employees. Is there even a shred of proof she's a real employee? I really don't get it

Tabby

Even just waiting a year for Wonder Woman is hard, how did we ever manage the 3 years for BvS?

I dont understand what all the hooplah is about that letter. There wasn't a single thing in there that wasnt already known, nor was it already rumored before. It was just one person complaining about how poor the movies have been, except with an added twist of sympathy for ex-employees. Is there even a shred of proof she's a real employee? I really don't get it

Like what people have said, news about how DCEU is failing is hot right now; it's what gets clicks.

Ahasverus

Nope, but how could the enthusiast media go 10 months without a base for prejudice against the next DC movie? impossibru!

Ashhong

Even just waiting a year for Wonder Woman is hard, how did we ever manage the 3 years for BvS?

Like what people have said, news about how DCEU is failing is hot right now; it's what gets clicks.

I mean I get that...but still. Especially the thread here. Everyone took it as gospel. Shit could be straight from 4chan for all we know

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched BvS UC with my parents and they both liked it a lot. My dad had seen Man of Steel on HBO, but my mom didn't so I had to catcher up a bit while the opening was happening. Even at 3 hours long, they both stayed awake (they're 64) and were able to follow what's happening just fine. Only thing they didn't catch was Flash's first appearance. I had to tell them after the movie was over. It's interesting to get a completely different perspective on movies like this from people that aren't die hard comic book fans. My dad grew up on DC and will watch the occasional Flash/Arrow episode if he's home from work. So he knows "enough" about the DC universe to know who's who. My mom is a total casual. Doesn't know crap about comics, but enjoys the movies.

I was shocked that my dad even guessed that the Knightmare sequence was a dream right when it started. He didn't know about Darkseid though, so I had to fill them in on that after the movie was over.

And for myself, seeing the UC for the 2nd time, made me like the movie even more. I'm still picking up little things here and there.

Ninjimbo

Just watched BvS UC with my parents and they both liked it a lot. My dad had seen Man of Steel on HBO, but my mom didn't so I had to catcher up a bit while the opening was happening. Even at 3 hours long, they both stayed awake (they're 64) and were able to follow what's happening just fine. Only thing they didn't catch was Flash's first appearance. I had to tell them after the movie was over. It's interesting to get a completely different perspective on movies like this from people that aren't die hard comic book fans. My dad grew up on DC and will watch the occasional Flash/Arrow episode if he's home from work. So he knows "enough" about the DC universe to know who's who. My mom is a total casual. Doesn't know crap about comics, but enjoys the movies.

I was shocked that my dad even guessed that the Knightmare sequence was a dream right when it started. He didn't know about Darkseid though, so I had to fill them in on that after the movie was over.

And for myself, seeing the UC for the 2nd time, made me like the movie even more. I'm still picking up little things here and there.
Nice. I have a similar anecdote with my parents. I ended up watching BvS with them one night because my dad wanted to see it. My dad used to read Justice League comics as a kid so he's a little familiar with everything going and I didn't have to explain much to him. My mom doesn't know much of anything about superheroes except the movies she's watched with Keaton Bats, Reeves Supes, and Baleman. She got lost during BvS because she didn't know who was what and how. That's when my dad told me that my mom had never seen MoS. She was watching BvS thinking it was a sequel to the first Reeves Superman movie.

Once that was established, my dad took the movie off and basically told me to hand him MoS so that my mom could see it lol.

My mom isn't much for superhero movies. She thinks they're silly but to my surprise she ended up really liking MoS. And when they saw BvS, both of them got really into it. It helps that Ben Affleck is in it because they really like his movies. My mom got a bit sad at the end in the scene where Lois gets the ring from Martha.

The next day my dad was talking up BvS to my sister. The way he described put a smile on my face.

He was like: "It's really good. It's a serious movie."

guek

Banned

tbh though, this thread focuses on the negative stuff as much as anywhere else

Ashhong

There's not much else to focus on :(

I miss watching JLU. Tried watching just Batman shows but it's just not the same. I want WW and Supes. Out of movies to watch too. Hows Superman vs the Elite?

IconGrist

Pretty much.

On the flip side, it's not like it would be any better if we just ignored the negatives. We'd start looking like the DCEU subreddit, lol.

I remember when the negative reviews started to hit really bad... Ayer made that tweet and the subreddit had a thread titled something like, "Look! Ayer is standing tall with us!" I about threw up in my mouth.
(<- Not really but this is the internet.)
Given the choice between that and this I'll take this every day with a smile.

SJRB

Gold Member
Getting REAL tired of all this drama, doom, gloom and most importantly people gleeing at a movie's failure.

Can we all just agree to at least not let that garbage seep into this thread? I can't deal with 10 more months of bullshit.

This is true. It's hard to focus on other stuff when a good chunk of the articles or news surrounding the films are negative.

I will say, while they should be concerned with the critical and public reception of these films, they have to see the silver lining at the box office. Sure we can talk about disappointments with terrible legs, but if they got their shit together and produced quality films, they could break the box office. You could have easily been looking at a movie above a billion and another movie closing in on a billion with your second and third films in the universe. It's clear people want to see these characters, just WB and co. are shitting the bed on delivering quality films.

Definitely see the hug box attitude some places and I'll never understand it.

Mentioned it in another thread, there's something to be said for Suicide Squad's 2nd week drop after the huge opening. Imagine the business BvS and Suicide Squad had the potential to do if they were well regarded.

Boke1879

Definitely see the hug box attitude some places and I'll never understand it.

Mentioned it in another thread, there's something to be said for Suicide Squad's 2nd week drop after the huge opening. Imagine the business BvS and Suicide Squad had the potential to do if they were well regarded.

When it's all said and done I can see SS getting close to 500 million WW. Great reviews could have pushed this closer to a billion though. Just so much left on the table.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, dude is trash and serviceable as Thor at best.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Got out of the film a while back. Overall, I thought it was fine as summer entertainment. I went in with absolutely zero hype, and it ....ended up being alright. I sure do have my gripes, but it's definitely not the disaster so many said it was. Here are some pros and cons of the film that I could pick out for myself. Yes, MYSELF. These are my views.

+ The team worked well with each other, even though they spent more time establishing certain characters than the rest. David Ayer knows how to work around actors, given his previous films.

+ Will Smith as Deadshot, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn and jay Hernandez as El Diablo were the standouts.

+ Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang deserves a pro mention on its own. The guy didn't suck here!

+ The opening montage sequences were quite cool.

+ Jared Leto's Joker. While this could have been a +/-, I think he did a fine job, given the few scenes he was in. He was reminiscent of the Joker from some of the comics, so I didn't have problems seeing him being played the way he was. I DO want to see MORE of him, hopefully in the upcoming Batman film. The world needs more of Leto's Joker, and without any edits.

+ The bar room scene. Now, that's something i wanted more of.

+ Slipknot A.K.A Rope Guy. LOL.

- Not a single memorable action sequence, or 'THAT' moment, from what I can recall.

- Action sequences edited haphazardly. Film definitely needed a better action choreographer.

- The mission itself wasn't too thrilling. I wonder why they didn't just make a film adaptation of Batman: Assault on Arkham. Superior in every aspect.

- Bullet-sponge enemies and less than compelling villains. I can't stand these. I had problems with such enemies in the two Avengers films, and I have problems with them here as well. It's time we got more out of comic book villains and grunts. While DC has way better villains than the competition, they were a complete misfire here, save for Leto's Joker.

- A number of characters not given enough screen-time or development.

-----

So, there you have it. I won't put any score to it. Film could have been much, much better. However, I came out entertained. Good riddance this is over with. Let's see what Wonder Woman and Justice League bring in 2017.

Yager

Banned
Saw SS last night for the second time. Enjoyed it again. Yes, it has some flaws, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable film. Those who claim that's worse than F4ntastic are crazy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Saw SS last night for the second time. Enjoyed it again. Yes, it has some flaws, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable film. Those who claim that's worse than F4ntastic are crazy.

Yeah, that's just crazy talk. People saying that have obviously not watched that film.

Has anyone on here not seen the killing joke yet, I bought digital and bought the blu Ray (I know it's unneeded) and would like to give the code to someone that's actually wanting to see it.

Ashhong

I thought Fant4stic was ok as well. Maybe I just have a lower standard. The actors were ok, plot ok, action wasn't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom