• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
I thought Fant4stic was ok as well. Maybe I just have a lower standard. The actors were ok, plot ok, action wasn't very good.

The first half is OK, even interesting. But after that time jump it's like watching another movie. I think the movie works (if it works in any way) best if you don't think about the source material. Also the action scenes were crap.

IHaveIce

Banned
Saw SS last night for the second time. Enjoyed it again. Yes, it has some flaws, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable film. Those who claim that's worse than F4ntastic are crazy.

worse than F4ntastic would be an achievement to do.

SS just feels.. yeah soulless in some parts and it gets worse once you know how much got cut.

F4ntastic completely shits on the sourcemarterial and is terrible overall

Jonogunn

The first half is OK, even interesting. But after that time jump it's like watching another movie. I think the movie works (if it works in any way) best if you don't think about the source material. Also the action scenes were crap.

Yah I feel like among my friends I was the only one who though the action scenes were terrible.

It was like higher quality network tv action scenes. nothing unique. Just all mid shotS and quick jump cuts.

Also it bugs me how the movie fell into that trap where the cannon fodder cannot seem to take down a single bad guy despite riddling them with bullets but the heroes come by with their fists and bat and take them down no problem.

I believe thy mentioned how these bad guys can take a headshot and keep on going then why is it that Harley Quinn can kill them with a bat?

Watched Skwad again but with my mom this time (dont say nothin).

She called the baddies California Raisins with guns and I had to stop her from doing Enchantress' belly dance in the lobby. Also, she swears the movie would improve if Paul Hogan replaced Jai Courtney. Finally sbe suggested unsarcastically that the movie would be better if they sent the Suicide Squad to fight ISIS, which I somewhat agree with since that's ironically Suicide Squad #1. My mom didnt read it though, and neither did David Ayer appaerently based off some of the fudamentally wrong ideas in this story.

Great characters, nonsense plot, sloppily put together -- but still a good time at the movie theater.

She called the baddies California Raisins with guns and I had to stop her from doing Enchantress' belly dance in the lobby. Also, she swears the movie would improve if Paul Hogan replaced Jai Courtney. Finally sbe suggested unsarcastically that the movie would be better if they sent the Suicide Squad to fight ISIS, which I somewhat agree with since that's ironically Suicide Squad #1. My mom didnt read it though, and neither did David Ayer appaerently based off some of the fudamentally wrong ideas in this story.

Great characters, nonsense plot, sloppily put together -- but still a good time at the movie theater.

omg your mom is hilarious XD

and the fight ISIS bit is genius. that would have been so on point and so fun and everyone would have rooted for SS and the movie.

also belly dance in the lobby XD omg she's so presh <3

She called the baddies California Raisins with guns and I had to stop her from doing Enchantress' belly dance in the lobby. .
LMAOOOO.

Your mother better slay.

rslG2P.gif

Ninjimbo

Man, fighting terrorists would have been the teeth the movie needed to really make an impression. The movie was already fighting an uphill battle by humanizing bad guys so I think the story we got was just about right for an introduction. If you try introducing an ISIS-type enemy while passing it off as entertainment in these times you can easily send the movie into full on schlock territory which requires a set of balls and careful hands that WB doesn't seem to have right now.

For a first movie, I think the script works. It's basically the Squad trying to clean up Waller's mess. She fucked around with power she really couldn't control in Enchantress and almost got everyone killed. You have characters plotting against one another. You have an operation gone wrong. You have freaks and mutants trying to work together seeking some redemption. It's simple and fine.

The ISIS idea though, that would have been something. I want to see something like that one day.

Rooster12

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

Top 5 probably.

Fuck....I'm almost shocked.

The good things are Joker and Enchantress. Leto went all in on the Joker, he just needed a better script. Enchantress was creepy as shit, and one of the few characters in the movie who actually used her abilities. She just went fucking ham in that one scene where she went crazy.

Everything else I didn't care for. Deadshot was better on Arrow, even fucking Katana was better on Arrow. Margot Robbie was ok, needed a better script. Couldn't care less about the rest of them. El Diablo was even more generic than he was in the comics, how is that even possible?

Batman's scenes were shitty, no build up, nothing iconic, just whatever.

Fire everyone, start over.

Ashhong

I agree with those points, and I definitely didn't go in thinking of comparing it to the source material since I don't know it all that well. I was decently entertained, at least enough to watch it. That's about how I gauge movies lol

Ross61

Really liked the dialogue in the JL Trailer.
Cyborg: I heard about you. Didn't think you were real.
Batman: I'm real when it's useful.

Lmao, I love it. That's classic sarcastic Batman.

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

Top 5 probably.

Fuck....I'm almost shocked.

The good things are Joker and Enchantress. Leto went all in on the Joker, he just needed a better script. Enchantress was creepy as shit, and one of the few characters in the movie who actually used her abilities. She just went fucking ham in that one scene where she went crazy.

Everything else I didn't care for. Deadshot was better on Arrow, even fucking Katana was better on Arrow. Margot Robbie was ok, needed a better script. Couldn't care less about the rest of them. El Diablo was even more generic than he was in the comics, how is that even possible?

Batman's scenes were shitty, no build up, nothing iconic, just whatever.

Fire everyone, start over.

lmao this movie sucked but this opinion is an even bigger mess. how are you going to ignore viola davis? and will smith practically carried this movie on his back. without him those introductory scenes would have been completely irredeemable. Arrow deadshot is so shit compared to big willy. they should give him a bonus for salvaging what he could.

will smith deadshot is better than arrow deadshot

but i like both katana (SS and arrow ones)

and i like both wallers, too

but yep, like disco said, will smith deadshot practically carry SS, tbh.

More like the general public is not yet convinced, we truly need a critical hit.

Half of the fans aren't either, largely because the movies have been shit tier.

A better movie would be a critical hit.
There's basic character misfires, same with story.

If this was the DCAU versions of these characters and stories, everyone would be pumped. I have less faith in Snyder's vision because I've already seen at least 2 versions of Superman that did not need this path.

If this was the DCAU versions of these characters and stories, everyone would be pumped.

we all say we want this but that shit would get old pretty quick too honestly. unless you're one of those dudes who is all in on the mcu.

it just gets a bit boring and feels so...saturday morning cartoony. though there is a consistent level of quality that WB can't even come close to at the moment.

Especially if it had DCAU Hawkgirl.

tumblr_ludcsfKdxC1r44iufo5_r1_400.gif

The best Hawkgirl.

Best animated romance. From the first season to Wild Cards to The Once and Future Thing.

"Dad?" was a legit open jaw moment.

we all say we want this but that shit would get old pretty quick too honestly. unless you're one of those dudes who is all in on the mcu.

it just gets a bit boring and feels so...saturday morning cartoony. though there is a consistent level of quality that WB can't even come close to at the moment.

This flat out isn't true. I'm all in for the MCU because they treat their characters right. The entire show from Batman TAS to JLU has characters that change and evolve, but also face hardships--Little Girl Lost plays right into Cadmus and Fire In The Sky, along with Twilight of the Gods right into Destroyer. None of those episodes can be considered boring.

They want to aim for something, start there.
There is no reason why Task Force X or Assault on Arkham should be leaps and bounds beyond the SS dreck.

don't get me wrong I love the cartoon series, especially Batman and Justice League/Unlimited but I think adapting that tone throughout the film universe would get dull very fast.

I loved what BvS was trying to do, I just found the execution of certain ideas very sloppy and the film also suffered from shoehorning stuff. But I'll take the Nolan trilogy tenfold over the MCU and the "fan's dream DCU". BvS conceptually I found a lot more interesting as well. they just fell flat on their face between Snyder and WB and the mishmashed script. But yeah in essence I can't say I like it more than the top-tier marvel stuff. Those just work a lot better as a whole.

and frankly this "treat their characters right" thing is getting a bit overrated on the marvel side of things. Sure they shy away from any controversial takes on the character and are very good at breaking them down to their basic archetypes much like cartoon series do for these characters as well. But that's a double edged sword, they're also hella boring characters too in these films because of it. Are you really enthralled by the Avengers roster, simply because Marvel "got them right"? Only Tony Stark has managed to overcome these hurdles because of the sheer charisma of RDJ. I aint going gaga over Steve Rogers though like much of gaf does. He was exposed as one of the more duller people in the universe after Civil War tbh.

anyways I think Justice League is the course correction you've been wanting, despite Snyder being behind it. Ezra Miller is basically playing the cartoon's Wally West in that trailer.

Then we disagree on that point--I think that in the constraints of jump-starting a universe with iconic characters, then you owe it those characters to start at their best, most popular versions. Which means Supes still has his parents, etc.

You can get tired of the criticism, but it's still valid. They've misfired twice now for the general audience and half of their fans. "Polarizing" is not the word you want used to describe your CU.

For the record, only TDK matches the Avengers for me for preference. BB/TDKR is TWS, but not Civil War.

For JL being the course correction, we'll see. I refuse to give any benefit of the doubt for now.

I just want these films to be better than they've done so far. Just don't think the creative team can do it--Johns was on GL too, which was awful.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What is this shit, agreeing to disagreeing as adults? Gtfo, we don't want that in here. Fight damnit.

Also, as far as I'm concerned they course correct again and go the opposite direction. Darker than ever, NC-17 this universe. Give me the Mad Max/Injustice JL movie.

ah i see. yeah we're basically apples vs. oranges right now on this one bro.

Yea, I think we all agree that we want better execution for their films though. All of the characters with no restrictions...and this is whats produced.

If they're going toncourse-correct even darker, then F it; give Stormwatch: Aliens and The Authority.

All is forgiven.

Just finished watching it last night.

I liked BvS better, both theatrical and UE were better than squad.

My main issue with squad is boring villain, bad dialogue and just plain tropey script. It felt like they hit the panic button and decided to go in a more Marvel-like direction on a short production. Though honestly I don't think any director's cut will fix the movie. I did like the entire cast and felt like they were wasted on the movie. The movie feels like it jumped into the third act 20 minutes in, skipping the first act that established character dynamics, and the second act which improved on them.

I have no idea why Deadshot didn't shoot Harley, or why the team in general was fond of Harley. The only thing I could think of is because she was hot? Equally surprised Waller or Flag didn't put a bullet in her when she came back.

Almost all the characters except Harley/Deadshot were under developed (most of them being relegated to one liners, Waller was excellent but they never really established her background). Villain was generic and boring. Joker stuff would have been much better
If they just had him do one rescue attempt at the end, instead of doing a pointless scene

They really could have lifted assault on arkham or Ostrander's first arc and had a much better story.

Anyway I'm glad we have real magic, enchantress was awesome in terms of effects for the most part. I kept thinking how awesome this universe they have set up, in terms of rules.
Was super excited to see the Batman cameo and Flash. Batman vs Joker/Harley was one of the best parts of the movie for me.
I liked seeing Waller reference BvS as well, nice touches.

I'd say this movie was probably in the lower echelon of super hero movies for me, like TIH & Thor 2 tier.

I actually really liked BvS coming out of it and I can't say I feel the same for this movie, and am actually more cynical of the DC universe going forward. Hoping Geoff Johns can work the same magic he does when he writes books otherwise I can't see this going on for much longer.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have no idea why Deadshot didn't shoot Harley, or why the team in general was fond of Harley. The only thing I could think of is because she was hot? Equally surprised Waller or Flag didn't put a bullet in her when she came back.

Deadshot specifically says he
doesn't kill women or children.
. The movie goes out of its way to point that out.

As for Waller and Flag,
Flag is just a little bitch, he needs the team more than they need him. And same goes for Waller. They're in the middle of a warzone and their soldiers are dropping like flies. Executing her makes zero sense. Plus if they execute Harley they'll have the whole team revolt against them. El Diablo could've incinerated them all before they had time to press the explosive button.

Deadshot specifically says he
doesn't kill women or children.
. The movie goes out of its way to point that out.

As for Waller and Flag,
Flag is just a little bitch, he needs the team more than they need him. And same goes for Waller. They're in the middle of a warzone and their soldiers are dropping like flies. Executing her makes zero sense. Plus if they execute Harley they'll have the whole team revolt against them. El Diablo could've incinerated them all before they had time to press the explosive button.

but it was waller who gave the ok for deadshot to shoot her earlier, tho?

SJRB

Gold Member
but it was waller who gave the ok for deadshot to shoot her earlier, tho?

That's true. I'm sure Waller knows Deadshot's MO, she knows everyone's files inside and out so there's no way she doesn't know that Deadshot doesn't kill women. She tried to offer Deadshot money, I guess to show she's still in control? The only reason [I guess] Deadshot accepted is to buy Harley more time to get away. Deadshot knew Harley was planning to escape, and he seemed to like her so he has no reason to break his own code.

As for why she didn't shoot Harley herself: Waller and Harley don't meet again until the end, and at that point [considering everything that happened] there's little reason to shoot her.

That's true. I'm sure Waller knows Deadshot's MO, she knows everyone's files inside and out so there's no way she doesn't know that Deadshot doesn't kill women. She tried to offer Deadshot money, I guess to show she's still in control? The only reason [I guess] Deadshot accepted is to buy Harley more time to get away. Deadshot knew Harley was planning to escape, and he seemed to like her so he has no reason to break his own code.

As for why she didn't shoot Harley herself: Waller and Harley don't meet again until the end, and at that point [considering everything that happened] there's little reason to shoot her.
and flag, though he is waller's doggie, i guess was just not doing his job .... or something.

well, then again, he's the guy that smashed the detonator even when he needed the team to rescue waller

so, okay.

my brain hurts >___< though >___<

SJRB

Gold Member
and flag, though he is waller's doggie, i guess was just not doing his job .... or something.

well, then again, he's the guy that smashed the detonator even when he needed the team to rescue waller

so, okay.

my brain hurts >___< though >___<

Yeah we probably shouldn't overthink certain aspects, but I suppose Flag was in way over his head. He didn't really, REALLY knew what he was getting into, had to lead his special forces teams, babysit the Squad, keep Waller happy and of course his emotional involvement.

I think the point of the
bar scene where he smashes the explosive devices is just that he kinda admits defeat. And at that point wins the respect of the Squad because he's more than just Waller's lapdog.

Flag treats the Squad like trash at the start, but starts to appreciate them as the mission goes on and at a certain point realises that the Squad are the only ones who can help him, so acting like an asshole won't make things any better for anyone.

I guess, lol.

Yeah we probably shouldn't overthink certain aspects, but I suppose Flag was in way over his head. He didn't really, REALLY knew what he was getting into, had to lead his special forces teams, babysit the Squad, keep Waller happy and of course his emotional involvement.

I think the point of the
bar scene where he smashes the explosive devices is just that he kinda admits defeat. And at that point wins the respect of the Squad because he's more than just Waller's lapdog.

Flag treats the Squad like trash at the start, but starts to appreciate them as the mission goes on and at a certain point realises that the Squad are the only ones who can help him, so acting like an asshole won't make things any better for anyone.

I guess, lol.

yeah XD the destroying the detonator bit could be looked at that way, like you say, but then ... didn't he want to rescue his girlfriend too? or not? and wouldn't destroying the detonator risk her life directly? >___< ugh. DC pls.

im not going to poke more holes into it, but im just disappointed in it, sometimes (like, when i think about it)

cuz i think nolan's batman is a pretty intelligent by comparison (not saying that you can't poke holes in it, just it feels .... tighter, script-wise)

so SS's plotholes makes me a sad, sad panda.

i had really, really looked forward to it, too .___.

Okay, I've seen Seppuku Squad for the 3rd time. I've seen it twice to get a firm impression of the film, and I think the film is mediocre. However, I found it was fun enough to enjoy my time with it. That said, this time a group of friends invited me to see it, and since my crush was going with them it was hard to turn down the offer (I'm a sucker, I know). They all love it. I know that they don't take films as seriously as I do, but I thought they must've found it's bad or boring or something. Nope, they all love it. And there was also another group of friends who had seen it too, and they all reported that they love it. They praised the musics, Harley's "cuteness", Enchantress's look, and the relationship between Harley and Joker. Among those people, the only criticism I've heard was from this particular dude who thought the part where
Harley distracted Enchantress then cut her heart out
was "lame"; he loves the film, nonetheless. Keep in minds that these friends of mine are only in their late teenage years (youngest ones are 16, while I'm 19 being the oldest one), so their taste in things are rather questionable. Why am I telling you this? Because when I look around it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't love the film, so I feel rather weird. Should I get new friends... (joke question, don't answer)

Tabby

Okay, I've seen Seppuku Squad for the 3rd time. I've seen it twice to get a firm impression of the film, and I think the film is mediocre. However, I found it was fun enough to enjoy my time with it. That said, this time a group of friends invited me to see it, and since my crush was going with them it was hard to turn down the offer (I'm a sucker, I know). They all love it. I know that they don't take films as seriously as I do, but I thought they must've found it's bad or boring or something. Nope, they all love it. And there was also another group of friends who had seen it too, and they all reported that they love it. They praised the musics, Harley's "cuteness", Enchantress's look, and the relationship between Harley and Joker. Among those people, the only criticism I've heard was from this particular dude who thought the part where
Harley distracted Enchantress then cut her heart out
was "lame"; he loves the film, nonetheless. Keep in minds that these friends of mine are only in their late teenage years (youngest ones are 16, while I'm 19 being the oldest one), so their taste in things are rather questionable. Why am I telling you this? Because when I look around it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't love the film, so I feel rather weird. Should I get new friends... (joke question, don't answer)

Get new friends, friends you can hate on Suicide Squad with.

Most of my friends and classmates love the movie as well. Ages range from 20-25.

Get new friends, friends you can hate on Suicide Squad with.

Most of my friends and classmates love the movie as well. Ages range from 20-25.

I don't hate the film. I think it's mediocre, but I had fun with it. It's just that the positive WoM around me is the complete opposite of what I expected.

Bleepey

I kinda look forward to a Suicide squad sequel. I just hope they explore the nature of black ops work from the comic book movie medium. Amanda Waller playing everyone like chess pieces and the uneasy alliances between her and Bruce. Maybe deal with the fallout of her killing the agents.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Look at us. This is how it all caves in. Civilization on the wane, manners out the window. What has Snyder done to us. Friendships destroyed, relationships ruined.

Haven't lost friends but I have gotten into some seriously heated discussions bout how Pa Kent isn't an unfeeling asshole who just wants Clark to let people die.

ReiGun

Super late, but I must say...the fact that the word of a disgruntled ex-employee is given the time of day is evidence of both WB's fuck ups taking hold and the willingness of people who are super excited to watch the DCEU as it is fail to believe anything.

Exciting times we live in.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't hate the film. I think it's mediocre, but I had fun with it. It's just that the positive WoM around me is the complete opposite of what I expected.

Same. Went with a group of colleagues, some of them barely knew the title and had no idea what they were going to see. I honestly feared the worst but everyone really liked it.

Majority agreed that the story wasn't all that interesting, but the characters were considered great, the music was excellent and the pacing was fast so it never got boring.

So yeah, positives all around.

Rooster12

Arrow deadshot is so shit compared to big willy. they should give him a bonus for salvaging what he could.

Arrow deadshot was evil and heartless the minute you saw him....

Will Smith wasn't even close to that....he was just Will Smith for the most part. I was waiting for him to turn into the Deadshot persona but it never happened.

Viola Davis was good but you really didn't get the chance to see how evil she really is besides a few scenes. And nobody watches this movie for fucking Viola Davis...how cares about her.

Ashhong

Arrow deadshot was evil and heartless the minute you saw him....

Will Smith wasn't even close to that....he was just Will Smith for the most part. I was waiting for him to turn into the Deadshot persona but it never happened.

Arrow Deadshot was a try hard loser who came across as a boring dick. If that's the Deadshot persona then I'm glad they changed it

Rooster12

Arrow Deadshot would have done that....that guy doesn't give a fuck.

Will Smith is a soft-ass bitch...that's why.

IconGrist

Didn't Deadshot make a deal with Harley to help him escape in exchange for keeping his mouth shut about Joker coming for her? Kinda hard for her to do if he pops her. It didn't work out anyway but I assume that was the idea.

jrush64

Banned
I prefer Smith's Deadshot by far. Its not even a comparison. Arrow's Deadshot was nice and all that, but Smith's was better imo.

BadAss2961

Deadshot was just the right balance of source material and 'Will Smith.' He was bad guy, he was good guy, he was funny, and Will was always going to pull sympathy with the daughter angle. He owns the role now completely.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Batman is kind of a dick to capture him right in front of his daughter. You know where the guy is, just track him down later when his daughter is not there. Also, can't remember because the fight was kinda bad but did Deadshot get in a hit or no? I know he got beat down to the ground and then pulled the gun, but was he able to hit Batfleck before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom