• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Are you guys talking about Clark's accomplishments? I'd have to check but I was under the impression it was similar to something written about Clark when he "died" in the new 52.

Bleepey

Why does batman and superman have to be upbeat tho? I wish the script was better and snyder wasn't so stupid to throw in that flash scene/knightmare sequence but I loved the tone they went for. Particularly existential/asshole batman and the world's reaction to superman.

I'm not saying all movies should be like this, there has to be some room for your guardians and the like as well but man the fans of this genre can be such close minded myopic fools sometimes.

So true. I don't get why everyone says it's so bleak. 7 is bleak.

Bleepey

no this is quite bleak too, there's no two ways about it. i'm just saying i don't mind that.

it didn't feel that bleak. Maybe my requirements for bleak superhero films are the Crow upwards. I too jive with what Snyder cooked up for Batman and Superman, unfortunately a lot of people didn't

Ahasverus

I love the over the top bleak BvS tone. I'd never seen anything like that with a "family" IP, I mean, they went the extra mile to make it as cynic as they could until the very end. It's an achievement really. God bless that movie.
Nobody commented last time I asked, but has anybody actually read Clarks obituary? You guys think it would be considered canon? Because it doesn't really jive with what we saw. Just curious
Don't think it's canon, no. Well it could be, but it's not "hard canon" in a way they couldn't change a few things here and there.

Dcube

Count me in the group that really enjoys the tone of BvS. Some fans cling to that idealist, inspirational superman stories and while those are certainly great and I love them, I don't see why there isn't room for this more cynical take as well. Sure it doesn't have the same mass appeal but it really resonated with me personally. I found the message of the movie muddled in the theatrical version due to poor editing and lack of character development for Clark, but I think the added scenes in the UC really bring it through. Made me appreciate Superman's character more.

Clark's naivety in how the world works, not understanding why he can't just be a hero, asking his parents for help, losing faith, all made me relate to his character more. His death at the end had more of an impact on me too. A guy trying to do the right thing had to make the greatest sacrifice at the end to truly become the symbol he was meant to be. Sounds familiar, Snyder loves his Jesus allegories I guess, and I can see how this irritates people, but I thought it worked for this character for the story they were trying to tell. I think the movie should have been pushed more as MoS 2 and focused more on Superman's journey, but I can see how the marketing guys would want to push the VS. angle more.

I am worried for Justice League we will see the end of this kind of development Superman has gone through for 2 movies be thrown aside for more crappy jokes. Kind of feel this is what went down for Suicide Squad. I'm super excited MoS is getting a sequel at least since I loved the first one and really think they could keep going places with the character.

Penguin

Ahasverus

Not even sure what this means? They usually go hand and hand.

I have no idea what this has to do with the soundtrack doing well?
That this movie Has been a merchandising/licensing/marketing hit, while being a mediocre at best movie. This could end up in the "toyfication" of the DCEU, turning the movies into mere commercial anchors to base the surrounding media on. That would be incredibly unfortunate.

Bleepey

That this movie Has been a merchandising/licensing/marketing hit, while being a mediocre at best movie. This could end up in the "toyfication" of the DCEU, turning the movies into mere commercial anchors to base the surrounding media on. That would be incredibly unfortunate.

You want an NC17 Suicide Squad movie don't you?

jrush64

Banned
You know what, I like the fact this movie is a hit in that way. With merchandising and toyification and all that. It widens appeal and makes the characters more well known. There is nothing wrong with that. Especially with something called Suicide Squad.

I swear to God, you're turning into the Diablos of this thread.

gamz

Way off the deep-end.

BadAss2961

The movie's hitting pop culture really hard, maybe more so than any CBM in several years. This is only a good thing.

Relax, Ahasverus.

Ahasverus

I'm pretty sure they are trying to do that. Filmmakers don't go into a movie trying to make it shitty.
But corporate are getting rewarded for meddling their hands into the final product. Creates a very bad precedent. Hopefully Mayimbe is right and this all ends with Geoff.

Ross61

According to Mark Hughes on Twitter, both Johns and Affleck made some rewrites to the JL script.
Mostly for tone. And Affleck made adjustments for the Batman movie.

guek

Banned
The movie's hitting pop culture really hard, maybe more so than any CBM in several years. This is only a good thing.

Relax, Ahasverus.
He's bummed because it's not a good movie, dude.

And lol you having the audacity to talk about pop culture. Suicide Squad is not as big of a hit as you want it to be in any sense no matter how much you try and bullshit the narrative. It's a modest success that's filled to the brim with wasted potential.

Ahasverus

He's bummed because it's not a good movie, dude.

And lol you having the audacity to talk about pop culture. Suicide Squad is not as big of a hit as you want it to be in any sense no matter how much you try and bullshit the narrative. It's a modest success that's filled to the brim with wasted potential.
Well It's clearly a musical hit *shrugs*

Ninjimbo

According to Mark Hughes on Twitter, both Johns and Affleck made some rewrites to the JL script.
Mostly for tone. And Affleck made adjustments for the Batman movie.
Blegh. I'm so tired of people concentrating on tone. I feel like it's just another word for jokes at this point. Hopefully not. Hopefully they add in more darkness and drama and give us the Seven Samurai Justice League movie we deserve.

You guy might know, so I'll ask this here.

There was a trailer released, I think at Comic Con for a series, that is based on a comic. I remember it had maybe something to do with angels and demons and the trailer was rather muted or even grey and white ?

I remember it was in a bar. Sorry, really cryptic. But I liked what I saw and now I forgot the name and I haven't bookmarked it.

Edit: It's not Lucifer or Preacher.

IconGrist

You guy might know, so I'll ask this here.

There was a trailer released, I think at Comic Con for a series, that is based on a comic. I remember it had maybe something to do with angels and demons and the trailer was rather muted or even grey and white ?

I remember it was in a bar. Sorry, really cryptic. But I liked what I saw and now I forgot the name and I haven't bookmarked it.

Edit: It's not Lucifer or Preacher.

American Gods?

IconGrist

Its good we have people like guek to always remind us that we shouldn't bullshit the narrative on something that is a moderate success.

GRzV4A0.gif

I will use this in any given opportunity :p

THe number one main complaint when BvS first hit was tone. Now everyone who hated the movie (whether they saw it or not) is saying that's not the issue. Moving goal posts.

The biggest thing is that it says Clark was a 2 or 3 time award winning writer, something nobody at the Daily Planet had accomplished. It basically made him sound like an amazing writer. Just doesn't seem plausible in the world we saw

Well Clark has always been a very good award winning journalist. Pre-new 52 he did an expose that brought down inter gang, wrote a couple of novels, was editor in chief of news time magazine. Won a Pulitzer, won a baldy award from lex luthor for excellence in journalism. Dudes a damn good reporter. It's usually Lois who likes to brag. I could see him winning an award or two. Although it doesn't make sense that an award winning journalist would be sent to cover a football game like a stringer. I can see that clashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom