• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blegh. I'm so tired of people concentrating on tone. I feel like it's just another word for jokes at this point. Hopefully not. Hopefully they add in more darkness and drama and give us the Seven Samurai Justice League movie we deserve.

Seven Samurai had a lot of light hearted humor fwiw (things got bad as well tho).

Tbh I think fellowship of the ring and seven Samurai are the gold standard for ensemble adventure movies. The likes of which any avengers or justice league movie will never even come close to touching

The problem that some people have with jokes in these movies is that they're so badly timed and feel shoehorned in some of the marvel flicks. They need to be more natural and "right time and place" is important too. Like I hope the Justice League doesn't engage in cornball banter during their big battle scene. When they're hanging out tho by all means do what you gotta do.

speaking of LOTR though I think WB should pursue Howard Shore to work on Aquaman. If he applied some of that Middle Earth magic on Atlantis man that would be so good.

a916

The problem that some people have with jokes in these movies is that they're so badly timed and feel shoehorned in some of the marvel flicks. They need to be more natural and "right time and place" is important too. Like I hope the Justice League doesn't engage in cornball banter during their big battle scene. When they're hanging out tho by all means do what you gotta do.

I loved how in Civil War they were joking around while discussing the Sokovia Accords and announcing
Peggy's death
. Eyeroll...

jrush64

Banned
I loved how in Civil War they were joking around while discussing the Sokovia Accords and announcing
Peggy's death
. Eyeroll...

I found Civil War to have the perfect amount of jokes. They didn't overdo at all. Compared to Age of Ultron which was just way too much. Then again maybe I'm not remembering Civil War that well.

Stark was his best in Civil War since Iron Man 1. Like he finally had a good balance instead of just being a walking and talking joke machine. RDJ stole that movie.

But while the airport scene is my favorite of the film, and prolly the only thing I'll end up revisiting in the movie years from now, man they went overboard with that one. Spiderman I get, but everybody else is having these lame ass back and forths to the point where the scene just looks like a glorified training session. Hell, maybe Nick Fury hires out an airport every year for them to spar in now.

Hawkeye is what pushed it over the top imo.

a916

I found Civil War to have the perfect amount of jokes. They didn't overdo at all. Compared to Age of Ultron which was just way too much. Then again maybe I'm not remembering Civil War that well.

Interesting. For me it wasn't the amount, but the timing of said jokes. Winter Soldier's were well placed and didn't ruin the tone of the scene they were going for.

Ashhong

Well Clark has always been a very good award winning journalist. Pre-new 52 he did an expose that brought down inter gang, wrote a couple of novels, was editor in chief of news time magazine. Won a Pulitzer, won a baldy award from lex luthor for excellence in journalism. Dudes a damn good reporter. It's usually Lois who likes to brag. I could see him winning an award or two. Although it doesn't make sense that an award winning journalist would be sent to cover a football game like a stringer. I can see that clashing.

Yea I don't have a problem at all with Clark being a good journalist. But he was at the DP for what, 9 months? To win multiple prizes in that span, and then be sent off to cover sports just doesn't make sense. If your best writer wants to write an expose on a damn vigilante, you would let him! The makers probably never expected anybody to pause the film and read the obituary lol. In fact, after I think 1-2 paragraphs, it just repeats itself because they ran out of things to say.

Winter Soldier has a far better tone throughout the film and was paced much better. But Civil War has Stark and Spiderman in it and a better end-game conflict.

Anyways it's not hard, just time your humor better and shut these characters up sometimes. That's about it. Hopefully JL is pretty far-removed from Avengers though. I don't want a DC equivalent of that or age of ultron. It would be nice for both universes to continue to be quite different from each other. Especially since between Marvel and DC there will be like 4-5 movies a year now haha.

IconGrist

The only thing that really irritated me about CW was Tony's dismissal of Bucky being controlled during that time. It's not like he wasn't familiar with the concept. Happened to him and Hulk during AoU. Happened to Hawkeye and some other members of SHIELD during the first Avengers. He handwaved all of that. But it was about his mom this time and now it mattered. Nevermind the lives lost before. Civil War's "Martha" moment. Doesn't ruin the movie for me or anything but I didn't buy it.

Eh he was angry. People don't think rationally then, especially since he was literally watching the footage of his parent's murder right beside the murderer himself lol.

The big reveal at the end of Civil War was pretty stupid to me and kinda took me out of the movie to be honest. I don't really have any intentions on seeking out Civil War again unless I find it on TV one of the few times I randomly surf the channels.

IconGrist

Eh he was angry. People don't think rationally then, especially since he was literally watching the footage of his parent's murder right beside the murderer himself lol.

I think it was BvS that fucked it up for me, lol. Bruce realizes he's being a shit, Tony starts to not be a shit and then goes back to being a shit, haha.

BadAss2961

He's bummed because it's not a good movie, dude.

And lol you having the audacity to talk about pop culture. Suicide Squad is not as big of a hit as you want it to be in any sense no matter how much you try and bullshit the narrative. It's a modest success that's filled to the brim with wasted potential.
There's a difference between box office and hitting pop culture. The movie's doing very well at the box office, but it's seeped it's way into pop culture because of good marketing, a trendy soundtrack with original material, and because it has characters that actually make an impression... But MCU guys wouldn't know much about that.

lol

Bleepey

Yea I don't have a problem at all with Clark being a good journalist. But he was at the DP for what, 9 months? To win multiple prizes in that span, and then be sent off to cover sports just doesn't make sense. If your best writer wants to write an expose on a damn vigilante, you would let him! The makers probably never expected anybody to pause the film and read the obituary lol. In fact, after I think 1-2 paragraphs, it just repeats itself because they ran out of things to say.

Didn't the events of BVS happen like 18mths after MoS? I thought the explanation in the film was that a huge fight broke out which damn near tore Cyborg in half and Perry thought it would sell more papers than a crime wave in a city where crime is endemic.

Ahasverus

The movie's doing very well at the box office, but it's seeped it's way into pop culture because of good marketing, a trendy soundtrack with original material, and because it has characters that actually make an impression... But MCU guys wouldn't know much about that.
giphy.gif

Calm down you kiddos

Maybe he won multiple awards for his amazing sports coverage.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, guys..I was watching MoS again, and I have to be honest with you. The first flight sequence is FUCKING GREAT! Zimmer's score really brings that scene to life. I remember I had goosebumps in the cinema when I first saw it, and I had them now as well. What a great scene!

guek

Banned
There's a difference between box office and hitting pop culture. The movie's doing very well at the box office, but it's seeped it's way into pop culture because of good marketing, a trendy soundtrack with original material, and because it has characters that actually make an impression... But MCU guys wouldn't know much about that.

lol
This is hilarious but also incredibly sad. Please grow up for your own sake.

Anywho, moving on from the realm of fanboy delusion, someone should actually make a thread on Faraci's rebuttal. It's a good piece on the pitfalls of anonymous accusations in Hollywood.

BadAss2961

This is hilarious but also incredibly sad. Please grow up for your own sake.

Anywho, moving on from the realm of fanboy delusion, someone should actually make a thread on Faraci's rebuttal. It's a good piece on the pitfalls of anonymous accusations in Hollywood.
Never needed Faraci to state the obvious. Just squash it.

People only believed in that open letter because they wanted to. Whether for clicks or just to troll the DCEU. Guek, I thought I saw you in that thread swallowing that bs.

guek

Banned
Never needed Faraci to state the obvious. Just squash it.

People only believed in that open letter because they wanted to. Whether for clicks or just to troll the DCEU. Guek, I thought I saw you in that thread swallowing that bs.
Because parts of it are an accurate commentary ya dingus. You need to realize not everything is peachy at WB or for the DCEU and stop living in your fanboy fantasy dream world.

BadAss2961

Because parts of it are an accurate commentary ya dingus. You need to realize not everything is peachy at WB or for the DCEU and stop living in your fanboy fantasy dream world.
Yeah, sure... You believed it was real, yet somehow i'm the dingus. lol

Talk about fantasy dream worlds, it took hindsight and a Faraci piece for you to see through something that was obviously fake. Just admit, you believed it was real because you wanted to.

WhiteWolf

So, guys..I was watching MoS again, and I have to be honest with you. The first flight sequence is FUCKING GREAT! Zimmer's score really brings that scene to life. I remember I had goosebumps in the cinema when I first saw it, and I had them now as well. What a great scene!
MoS has so many moments that amaze me. Is there any word out there on an extended cut of the film? It and 300 are the only Snyder films with no director's cut out there.

guek

Banned
Yeah, sure... You believed it was real, yet somehow i'm the dingus. lol

Talk about fantasy dream worlds, it took hindsight and a Faraci piece for you to see through something that was obviously fake. Just admit, you believed it was real because you wanted to.
Whether it's fake or not isn't confirmed one way or another. I was always skeptical of the claims about wonder woman but much of the actual content of the letter discussing layoff practices in Hollywood and the rewarding of failure is accurate. Use your fucking brain for once and realize not everything is a about your fanboyism.

Fucking hell, you don't even have the wits to realize you're doing exactly what you're arguing against, believing or disbelieving something based soley on your fanboy allegiances. Remember when you mocked all those reports of BvS being in bad shape? Well look what happened. You're an embarrassment to DC fans.

BadAss2961

Whether it's fake or not isn't confirmed one way or another. I was always skeptical of the claims about wonder woman but much of the actual content of the letter discussing layoff practices in Hollywood and the rewarding of failure is accurate. Use your fucking brain for once and realize not everything is a about your fanboyism.

Fucking hell, you don't even have the wits to realize you're doing exactly what you're arguing against, believing or disbelieving something based soley on your fanboy allegiances. Remember when you mocked all those reports of BvS being in bad shape? Well look what happened. You're an embarrassment to DC fans.
What reports did I dismiss? or wrongly dismiss? I honestly don't remember. BvS went through dozens and dozens of cycles, and my responses were usually in line with most of the fans in this thread.

Now back to the situation at hand. Here's your first post in that thread.
That jumped out at me too. It's the first I've heard of it but this woman has connections if her story is legit so I'm prone to believe her.

As for the rest of the letter, it's on point. WB is going down the shitter and they need to find a new direction fast.

OMG, she has connections if her story is legit... So i'm prone to believe her!

lol, wtf guek... Was it really that easy?

Ninjimbo

Seven Samurai had a lot of light hearted humor fwiw (things got bad as well tho).

Tbh I think fellowship of the ring and seven Samurai are the gold standard for ensemble adventure movies. The likes of which any avengers or justice league movie will never even come close to touching

speaking of LOTR though I think WB should pursue Howard Shore to work on Aquaman. If he applied some of that Middle Earth magic on Atlantis man that would be so good.
That's kind of what I want. Seven Samurai and Fellowship have their lighthearted moments but at their cores is a story that goes into some dark places. They're serious with actual stakes attached to them. I just feel like blockbusters these days, with their intent to franchise these films, are shying away from stories with weight. I think with Snyder at the helm JL could attempt to be something like those greats. Snyder, for all you could fault him, the dude at least tries to give you something ambitious with his movies. Can't hate on that.

I'm not against jokes (I should say quips) btw. I just think it's become an overdone technique to inject some levity into scenes. Uncharted 4 anyone?

Oh and nice idea with Howard Shore doing Aquaman. The LOTR soundtrack is an all-timer.

IconGrist

Speaking of LotR, I've never sat down and watched watched them. I bought the 4-hour cut of Fellowship the other day. Going to watch it tonight.

guek

Banned
What reports did I dismiss? or wrongly dismiss? I honestly don't remember. BvS went through dozens and dozens of cycles, and my responses were usually in line with most of the fans in this thread.

Now back to the situation at hand. Here's your first post in that thread.

OMG, she has connections if her story is legit... So i'm prone to believe her!

lol, wtf guek... Was it really that easy?
Your responses were typical fanboy dismissal and mocking of anything negative and desperate felatio of any positive rumors.

I said I'm prone to believe her, meaning likely, assuming she actually has connections. Considering all the rumors of DCEU movies being a shit show have turned out to be true, yes, I'm more likely to give negative rumors about Wonder Woman more credence. This is not hard to grasp, and your desperate attempt to discredit me is just embarrassing you more.

BadAss2961

Your responses were typical fanboy dismissal and mocking of anything negative and desperate felatio of any positive rumors.

I said I'm prone to believe her, meaning likely, assuming she actually has connections. Considering all the rumors of DCEU movies being a shit show have turned out to be true, yes, I'm more likely to give negative rumors about Wonder Woman more credence. This is not hard to grasp, and your desperate attempt to discredit me is just embarrassing you more.
So in other words, you took an L here. In the future, don't refer us to some Faraci shit after you yourself fell for it and gave credence to it just because it fit your negativity vibe. Even I called bullshit and pointed out how any random forum dweller could've written that letter. Before Faraci did it.

It's clearly bullshit. People taking the word of some disgruntled ex as gospel. Spouting the same stuff i've already seen from dudes on message boards.
Recommend a thread about my piece next time.

iWdx4aW.gif

And hold that L.

guek

Banned
So in other words, you took an L here. In the future, don't refer us to some Faraci shit after you yourself fell for it and gave credence to it just because it fit your negativity vibe. Even I called bullshit and pointed out how any random forum dweller could've written that letter. Before Faraci did it.

And hold that L.
God, it's like talking to a literal child. I didn't refer this thread to the Faraci, I said it made some good points worth discussing. The letter hasn't been discredited either so stop acting like a jackass and pretending it has just to fit your insanely immature world view. It's still just hearsay. It's possible to have an opinion that goes beyond nut hugging a company. Not everything is all good or all bad, that's the world view of a fucking six year old.

Holy shit, why do the rest of you put up with his idiocy when it makes DC gaf look like terrible manbabies.

iWdx4aW.gif

And hold that L.
I laughed.

I seriously hope that this is a parody account since it reminds me a lot of the YouTube DC fan which only turns people against DCCU movies.

you guys~

what are you guys doing lol~

pls stop and start bonding like suicide squad members bonded over drinking booze in an abandoned midway city bar

badass, you can be el diablo. guek, you can be deadshot. now, fam it up~ we are all DC fans in here \o/

on another note, i drew a batman for the first time :> i usually just draw manga stuff so this is very unfamiliar for me :D it's kinda fun, even if im failing XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom