• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now i wanna hear to Heathens over and over again.... :>

Also if any of you have missed the chat room link, here it is: https://discord.gg/c84ET5e

(MarvelGAF has joined since, and it's now more a CBM GAF chat room now)

and Ahas, come back to chat sometime! Also Katie~

marvel? Eh.....

"Plain Lo in the morning. Lola in slacks. Lois Lane."

Say what you want about the film, but Terrio wrote the fuck out of the dialogue.

What part was that?

Ahasverus

"Plain Lo in the morning. Lola in slacks. Lois Lane."

Say what you want about the film, but Terrio wrote the fuck out of the dialogue.
He's da gawd.

"And the shortest road to Superman is Lois Lane"
"No, every boy's special lady is his mother... Martha, Martha, Martha... Now, the mother of a flying demon must be a witch. The punishment for witches, what is that? That's right. Death by fire".
"Civilization on the wane, manors, out of the window"
"Now God is good as dead."

Lex' dialogue is a delight.

marvel? Eh.....

What part was that?

Rooftop. Lois and Lex.

He's da gawd.

"No, every boy's special lady is his mother... Martha, Martha, Martha... Now, the mother of a flying demon must be a witch. The punishment for witches, what is that? That's right. Death by fire".

Man, I hope Terrio, Johns, and Affleck can whip out a solid script for Justice League, and that the film is competent.

I noticed something today. Deborah Snyder has a cameo in Batman v Superman.

BEPZgyW.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Still trying to figure out how they're going to explain Clark coming back when everyone in Smallville was at his funeral and saw the body in the casket.

DaveH

The Variety guy (Mark Hughes I think) confirmed Clark is not coming back. We have a full time Superman now.
Please don't spread misinformation.

This is wrong on every level.

- This is not "confirmed" by any means.
- Variety reports nothing on this.
- Mark Hughes writes for Forbes (which doesn't edit its bloggers) reports nothing on this.
- Jon Schnepp (host of Collider Heroes) said this, but Jon is not a journalist and routinely leaps on rumors. He doesn't distinguish between a trade writing it and an official source confirming it.
- That said, no trade has even said it only Schnepp has and he's unreliable:

Jon Schnepp heard that Lawrence Kasdan was writing a Boba Fett movie. That turned out to be a Han Solo movie instead.

Jon Schnepp heard that George Miller was being eyed to direct Man of Steel 2. Clearly he doesn't believe that anymore.

Jon Schnepp heard that Daredevil (Charlie Cox in particular) would be showing up in Jessica Jones. Nope, didn't happen.

Just saying.

People don't know what "confirmed" means....

DaveH

Still trying to figure out how they're going to explain Clark coming back when everyone in Smallville was at his funeral and saw the body in the casket.
I mean have you read a comic book? Is there anything comic fans moaned about as irreversible that wasn't or couldn't be undone?

In the span of three films:
- Jor-El's image exists after Krypton dies.
- Zod and his insurgents live after sent to their execution and Krypton dies.
- Zod dies and his corpse is revived.
- Time travel.
- Cosmic alien invasion with parademons.
- Immortal Amazonian warrior speaks of other worlds.
- Immortal goddess / witch speaks of other worlds.
- Witch promises to bring
Joker back to life
-
Joker escapes his
apparent death.
-
Diablo
is revealed to have a latent god within.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, not to mention everything on the table from Wonder Woman. How little imagination that to say Clark's return is impossible?

----

An easy way to explain Clark's death is to say he faked it.

In the film, Clark is already missing prior to Doomsday. Perry has the scene / line, "Still no Kent?"

Then the story is Clark was chasing an especially dangerous story where he had to fake his death and lay low in order to finish it. Doomsday provides the perfect cover, so he has a wake to seal the deal of his death. Depending on your level of suspension of belief, you let more or less people in on the plan (immediate family; or all Smallville attendees; or all attendees including Perry; etc). The open-casket body is not a deal-breaker. Remember that Zod's body in reality (outside the film) was a prop and not the real Michael Shannon.

That allows Clark to come back at any time. He doesn't have to arrive simultaneously with Superman and trigger audiences unable to suspend their nitpicking. He comes back when his story suits him. Everyone will understand and accept Clark faking his death if the alternative is having organized crime kill your family, firebomb your office, and silence you.

Effect

Easy way out of that is that Smallville as a town or close family and friends know Clark is Superman. It's hinted at that might be case given the things Clark is suspected of doing as a kid and then Superman shows up. Then there is already the suggestion that Perry knows Clark is Superman. Just let Jenny in on it and he can return to work.

That or the classic mind wipe of everyone save the JL, Lois, and Martha. This is not really a problem. This is a comic book movie and that's one of the most classic comic book tropes at play.

Ashhong

Easy way out of that is that Smallville as a town or close family and friends know Clark is Superman. It's hinted at that might be case given the things Clark is suspected of doing as a kid and then Superman shows up. Then there is already the suggestion that Perry knows Clark is Superman. Just let Jenny in on it and he can return to work.

That or the classic mind wipe of everyone save the JL, Lois, and Martha. This is not really a problem. This is a comic book movie and that's one of the most classic comic book tropes at play.

Well he was in the obituary so it's not like other people don't know he's dead to the rest of the world that cares.

But I like Daves idea. He was on a writing assignment or something

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't they shooting JL like right now? Also, that chest....uuhhh...

FightClubMeatLoaf.jpg

Don't do steroids guys. Ben looks bad, really, really bad.

Whatever, this is from at least April 2016
Looks fine now.

3339684800000578-3542wus3o.jpg
3339684800000578-35423ks8q.jpg

Bad angles are a thing.

So J_Viper, where ever you picked this picture up. Don't go there anymore, it's clear what narrative is been driven.

strafer

FightClubMeatLoaf.jpg

Don't do steroids guys. Ben looks bad, really, really bad.

Whatever, this is from at least April 2016
Looks fine now.

3339684800000578-3542wus3o.jpg
3339684800000578-35423ks8q.jpg

Bad angles are a thing.

So J_Viper, where ever you picked this picture up. Don't go there anymore, it's clear what narrative is been driven.

man, they are really up in his face when they are taking pictures.

poor guy

IconGrist

I like how there is guy taking Affleck's pic from way in the back as he's getting in his car. What will he do with that picture exactly?

"Hey dude, check it out its Ben Affleck!"
"That's just some guy's ass, man."

Ahasverus

Some posts in the box office thread already saying no DC movie has broke even theatrically, while SS is gonna past the most optimistic expectations lol.

Ahasverus

While I doubt BvS did I don't know if you can say MoS and TDK didn't. I don't know what TDKR's budget was.
BvS was an expensive film, but not that expensive, I don't think you can make a movie and not turn a profit at 875M, unless it cost 500M or something, and BvS was far from that.

Ninjimbo

BvS was an expensive film, but not that expensive, I don't think you can make a movie and not turn a profit at 875M, unless it cost 500M or something, and BvS was far from that.
I'm with you. The one guy in the BO thread who brought up that formula, that's the wisdom most people go in with when discussing a movie's financial success. It sounds like a bullshit metric by any stretch. At 875M, BvS had to bring in money from its theatrical run. The movie was already booked in as profitable before the Blu Ray came out.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with you. The one guy in the BO thread who brought up that formula, that's the wisdom most people go in with when discussing a movie's financial success. It sounds like a bullshit metric by any stretch. At 875M, BvS had to bring in money from its theatrical run. The movie was already booked in as profitable before the Blu Ray came out.
Ok, so I've seen budgets for games I've worked on and kinda have a ball park of how much we put into marketing and such, and I have no idea where this "double the production budget" for marketing comes from. There is no fucking way a movie studio is going to spend 200/250 mil on marketing a movie that cost 200/250 to make. Yes, TV time and ads in magazines/internet/billboards cost money, but they've also been doing this for like 70 years and know how to spread a dollar. Not every movie uses the same advertising firm (BvS and SS sure as hell didn't) and they usually go to the lowest bidder. SS did not cost 500 mil to make. It shot on like two locations and had a few sets built. It was small in scope and used a lot of practical FX. Even with re-shoots (which is... shocking... factored into the initial budget), at most, that movie was a 150 mil production, maaaaybe 175 just to be safe. It's marketing was probably somewhere between 50 and 75 mil. Snapchat filters and Facebook posts are cheap as dirt in this day and age. I bet the most expensive thing they did (barring TV ads) were those New York posters at Times Square.

Effect

Would it be out of line to say that the trashing BvS took actually helped Suicide Squad ultimately at the box office?

Meaning the negative reviews were so over the top that it caused people from taking a chance on the film only for them to see it once it released on blu-ray and to end up either enjoying it or finding it was nowhere near what critics were describing. Enter Suicide Squad and the same thing happens but this time those that held off when it came to BvS decided not to listen this time, seeing how over the top critics were again and remembering how wrong they felt they were about BvS when they saw it themselves, and instead went out to see the film. Just wondering if part of SS success was because critics overplayed their hand with BvS and the backfire of it was felt with SS when they tried it again.

IconGrist

Would it be out of line to say that the trashing BvS took actually helped Suicide Squad ultimately at the box office?

Meaning the negative reviews were so over the top that it caused people from taking a chance on the film only for them to see it once it released on blu-ray and to end up either enjoying it or finding it was nowhere near what critics were describing. Enter Suicide Squad and the same thing happens but this time those that held off when it came to BvS decided not to listen this time, seeing how over the top critics were again and remembering how wrong they felt they were about BvS when they saw it themselves, and instead went out to see the film. Just wondering if part of SS success was because critics overplayed their hand with BvS and the backfire of it was felt with SS when they tried it again.

Maybe. But even with SS's problems the movie still had Will Smith to carry it. Leave his son out of it and people flock to see what's up, lol. Plus his first role as a bad guy there's bound to be some curiosity.

a916

He was in a coma in a hospital under the name John Doe and no one recognized him. There... it took two seconds.

guek

Banned
Ok, so I've seen budgets for games I've worked on and kinda have a ball park of how much we put into marketing and such, and I have no idea where this "double the production budget" for marketing comes from. There is no fucking way a movie studio is going to spend 200/250 mil on marketing a movie that cost 200/250 to make. Yes, TV time and ads in magazines/internet/billboards cost money, but they've also been doing this for like 70 years and know how to spread a dollar. Not every movie uses the same advertising firm (BvS and SS sure as hell didn't) and they usually go to the lowest bidder. SS did not cost 500 mil to make. It shot on like two locations and had a few sets built. It was small in scope and used a lot of practical FX. Even with re-shoots (which is... shocking... factored into the initial budget), at most, that movie was a 150 mil production, maaaaybe 175 just to be safe. It's marketing was probably somewhere between 50 and 75 mil. Snapchat filters and Facebook posts are cheap as dirt in this day and age. I bet the most expensive thing they did (barring TV ads) were those New York posters at Times Square.
Blockbuster movies tend to cost more than what's actually reported, not less.

I honestly haven't a clue on how to estimate marketing costs though. The possible range is too big. The only thing I'm comfortable saying is both Civil War and BvS had marketing budgets that dwarfed Squad's.

Alienous

He's da gawd.

It's awful. Good dialogue should fit the character. Lex Luthor isn't the Riddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom