• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still trying to figure out how they're going to explain Clark coming back when everyone in Smallville was at his funeral and saw the body in the casket.

He's gonna live a low key life on the farm with lois I imagine. He's no longer gonna be Clark the reporter in this series of films

guek

Banned
Yeah. He's too good for DCEU or MCU right now. You right.

Manboobs pic is hilarious but hollywood fitness means he can get rid of it asap. Dude was cut in BvS

If Nolan isn't too good for Batman, and Cuarón isn't too good for Harry Potter, and George Miller isn't too good for a movie about tapdancing penguins or another one about a talking pig, Edgar Wright is not too good for a DC or Marvel movie.

Also, it's not like Scott Pilgrim was some sort of transcendent graphic novel. I love his films but it's not like he's ever made a smash hit either.

Nah he's too good for extended universes. Nolan got on the train when the going was still good for these directors. Didn't the ant man situation kinda prove my point. Dude bailed as soon as the script got messed around with. Suicide Squad and BvS theatrical situation prolly scaring even more ppl off now.

I bet cuaron turned down like a million of these movies already. He's one of WBs go to boys. Jeff Nichols passed on aquaman, that Selma lady didn't want to do black panther. There is definitely a prevailing feeling of these producer ran films not being all that interesting to these kinds of guys. They'd rather be more hands on.

And happy feet was all miller's doing. Nobody asked him to make it. He loves talking animals for some reason lol.

Having auteurs work on these director for hire projects ain't working out. Or else you get something like this Zack Snyder situation where his vision completely clashes with what the studio wants and you're left with a confused series of movies.

Like I'm looking forward to Justice League, trailer was la flame, but I get the feeling that's gonna play out like way too many cooks were in the kitchen. Seems like we hear a rumor every week about rewrites and tone shifts etc.

If you ask me the best way to get back to that God level TDK, Raimi spiderman kind of stuff (and bring in some interesting talent) is to dump the connected universe crap and start doing elseworlds projects. I'd love to see snyder continue with his injustice stuff that he hinted at in the knightmare sequence. But it would taint the rest of the films and also the fans ain't having none of this. The mcu got them hooked. I think since 08 there has been a lower ceiling of quality on these flicks and the way they're ran now is a big reason why.

Edit: sorry for the rant btw. I'm on mobile so I have no idea how long and plodding this post must look lol

I don't think most of those directors are too good for these types of movies. They're in a position of power right now, let them have a few critical bombs and see how fast they change their tune about doing a studio film to get something they want in return.

You think Nolan really cared about doing a Batman movie? I doubt it. He saw it as a way to write his ticket to do whatever he wanted if he knocked it out of the park.

I'm not saying superheroes are below these guys. No way. But the way they are being made at the moment....absolutely. I don't want Wright or cuaron etc. wasting their time on movies with so much oversight. leave the director for hire stuff to ppl like the Russos and Jon Favreau. They're killing it with churning out these successful flicks. I think James Wan will do well too considering how much he salvaged out of F7 with the tragic circumstances.

^Ordinarily I agree, but Shazam is in a unique position being shared with New Line. Recent quote from a producer on the project,

Shazam is to live in the same world but we have incredible autonomy over this brand and franchise. We are working with a different team, different producers, directors… it’s a different set-up.

Who knows. Originally Ant-Man was aiming for the same when Wright was on-board. If he signs on, maybe write in the contract that under no circumstances Cyborg randomly shows up to fight Shazam.

Lmao. I finna boo the screen if cyborg fights Shazam outside in a field or something.

The Rock and Wright are a potent combo tho for sure. They've gotta bite on that movie soon because it feels like rocks been waiting forever to play black Adam.

You know if Big Will wasn't already deadshot I'd be rooting for him and Jaden to play Shazam. Yeah....after earth I know. But 2016 has made me have a huge turnaround on the smiths. I like them again.

I'm not saying superheroes are below these guys. No way. But the way they are being made at the moment....absolutely. I don't want Wright or cuaron etc. wasting their time on movies with so much oversight. leave the director for hire stuff to ppl like the Russos and Jon Favreau. They're killing it with churning out these successful flicks. I think James Wan will do well too considering how much he salvaged out of F7 with the tragic circumstances.

It's hard to say what would happen to someone like that with Warner Bros and the DCEU because nobody like that is really involved with any of their projects outside of Ben and it's clear Ben is running the show with Batman. If they chose someone else for the role, you bet your ass they would have been filming a solo Batman film last year to get one out ASAP.

Edit: Honestly, I don't get the Edgar Wright stuff. He's made some solid movies, but he's not "OMFG" like the fanboys on the internet would like you to believe. Cuaron would probably come in and have the most freedom outside of Ben or be on the same level as Ben.

a916

I don't want Edgar Wright near a DC property. I thought Scott Pilgrim was some hot garbage on fire that had NOTHING redeemable going for it with one of the worst leading actors of all time. I haven't liked any of this movies save for Shaun of the Dead and that's more thanks to Simon Peg.

I don't want Edgar Wright near a DC property. I thought Scott Pilgrim was some hot garbage on fire that had NOTHING redeemable going for it with one of the worst leading actors of all time. I haven't liked any of this movies save for Shaun of the Dead and that's more thanks to Simon Peg.

Thank you.

This Edgar Wright hate...

kPIq75M.gif

IconGrist

I understand the sentiment of "he's never had a smash hit" when it comes to Director's and potential comic book movies but at the same time I hate that that has become some sort of narrative about the quality of the work they produce. Some of the best critically reviewed movies see pitiful returns at the Box Office. I'm a "judge the work, not the money" kinda guy.

Ninjimbo

The only thing I agree with in Disco's rant is the idea of WB doing Elseworlds movies. Snyder would do an awesome Red Son adaptation.

Anyways, I just finished watching Edge of Tomorrow and my god was I impressed with that flick. I can't believe that crazy story concept actually ended up working.

So can we get Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt in the DCCU? WB plz.

I think WB and DCEU would greatly benefit from making these films in different subgenres instead of the grimdark struggle that DCEU has been so far.

Yager

Banned
I think WB and DCEU would greatly benefit from making these films in different subgenres instead of the grimdark struggle that DCEU has been so far.

Well, MoS, BvS and SS are pretty different films. The "tone" might be similar and yes they are CBM, but the core aspects of each one of them is totally different. You can say that MoS is a sci-fi movie, BvS a thriller (the only truly comic book aspect in it is the final fight) and SS a dumb (dumb as "fun, light") action movie.

I understand the sentiment of "he's never had a smash hit" when it comes to Director's and potential comic book movies but at the same time I hate that that has become some sort of narrative about the quality of the work they produce. Some of the best critically reviewed movies see pitiful returns at the Box Office. I'm a "judge the work, not the money" kinda guy.

no doubt. some people care waaay too much whether "their" movies made a lot of money or not.

the only thing I'm concerned about when it comes to this is whether or not it will let the people behind them continue to work.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The Nice Guys box-office and Suicide Squad box-office should be reversed. Then we could have gotten a sequel to the movie that deserved one.

IconGrist

no doubt. some people care waaay too much whether "their" movies made a lot of money or not.

the only thing I'm concerned about when it comes to this is whether or not it will let the people behind them continue to work.

It is kind of funny though. I mean, you never hear this conversation.

"Did you see Suicide Squad?"
"Nah, it's been 3 weeks and only made $600, I only bust out the wallet for 8ers or more."

What you do hear is that judgement being made based on critical reception. So I'm not sure why the money matters as much as it seems to to anyone not financially invested. Outside of some silly bragging point. "My movie made X more than your movie."

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
a nice guys sequel with RDJ and Val Kilmer in it as rival detectives...omg. we are not worthy of such a thing.

Ryan Gosling's best role.

Dunno about best, certainly up there though.

And the pissing on the corpse is still the best thing Shane Black has ever done, I so wanted him to do something as funny in the sequel to TNG. But we won't be getting one sadly.

Shane Black has his plate full for the next four or so years between the Predator sequel and Doc Savage with The Rock. By then RDJ will be retired from Iron Man and Black will finally answer Kilmer's calls, the sky is the limit.

Lol Slayven.

This looks like an agile Deathstroke, very thin, too.

EDit: Just need to reveal Green Arrow now. Just to fuck with Amell. Fuck you Amell.

IconGrist

Weird thing to just randomly post. On mobile but it had that Snyder look to it so I wonder if he was behind the lens. Unless Affleck is taking that style for a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom