• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
I hope he's getting paid RDJ money for this tho. He's practically the backbone of the universe going forward and now is directing/writing one of the movies too. Give him points on the box office.

Probably Evans tier (current, not the joke salary he was given when he started as Cap). RDJ only gets paid as much as he does because he strong armed Marvel while they were desperate to keep him. iirc, he gets an absurd cut for an actor of the total BO and residuals.

IconGrist

Yeah no, let's not kid ourselves, it's the BvS reception, it still hurts. He put his whole career on the line.

I highly doubt this. No one had an issue with his Batman and the "killing" people complain about wasn't on him anyway. Most people prop him up as the shining light of BvS. Regardless of its critical reception it doesn't detract from his own endeavors which have been highly praised.

Penguin

Wall Street Journal confirming that Joe Manganiello playing Deathstrok in Batman standalone film.

Did not provide a direct quote and I have no idea who the writer of this article is.

Ben Fritz is

Also seems like Wan is location scouting for Aquaman
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKGbmC7hFWq/

Guess also part of a larger feature
http://www.wsj.com/articles/warner-bros-s-new-strategy-on-dc-lighten-up-superheroes-1473350000

“We accelerated the story to get to the hope and optimism a little faster,” said Mr. Berg.

“Justice League” will also directly address Batman’s extreme actions in the last movie, such as torturing criminals and nearly killing the man of steel, rather than accept them as par for the course. And it’s expected to have fewer of Mr. Snyder’s controversial flourishes, like the dream sequences in “Batman v Superman,” in favor of focusing more tightly on the plot, people close to the picture said.

Plans to make “Justice League” a multipart story that would continue in a 2019 sequel also were abandoned.

“Justice League” will come out in November 2017, following next June’s “Wonder Woman.” Mr. Johns did a rewrite of the script for the superheroine’s origin story, working with director Patty Jenkins, and is writing a solo Batman movie to be directed by Mr. Affleck. It will feature Joe Manganiello, from “Magic Mike” and “True Blood,” as nemesis Deathstroke and could come as early as 2018, though Warner has not set a release date.

Tabby

We accelerated the story to get to the hope and optimism a little faster,” said Mr. Berg.

Typical WB/DC rushing everything /s

But really though, sounds like the Johns era has begun. Hype restored sort of?

not happy about this guy writing Batman as well. last thing I want is that movie feeling like some assembly line movie like i imagine the dcu will be gearing towards. Johns is kinda stretching himself thin here.

"hope and optimism" isn't necessarily a bad thing, it was practically the theme of the batman trilogy tbh. but we'll see how it pans out here. i just really don't want the dcu to turn into the mcu. suicide squad already felt like a poor attempt at going for that audience.

a916

While I'm not happy to hear they are accelerating the road to hope/optimism, that was a huge complaint from a lot of people, not me though.

But we'll likely hear, "ROFL LOL WB can't even stick by their convictions, how dare they give us what we asked for lol"

Not sure how to feel about the JL info. Going off interviews with Terrio pre-BvS and seeing BvS, you get a sense of what they were going for. Really hope that's not shifted in favor of appealing to a wider audience. Felt as if MoS-BvS-JL were built as a trilogy of sorts, growing into the new frontier. Having JL rush into it, I don't know. Wait and see.

Joe Manganiello is solid casting. Not super exciting like the Tom Cruise jokes/rumors but I'm into it. ETA to Tobey landing a DCEU role...

Not sure how to feel about the JL info. Going off interviews with Terrio pre-BvS and seeing BvS, you get a sense of what they were going for. Really hope that's not shifted in favor of appealing to a wider audience. Felt as if MoS-BvS-JL were built as a trilogy of sorts, growing into the new frontier. Having JL rush into it, I don't know. Wait and see.

Joe Manganiello is solid casting. Not super exciting like the Tom Cruise jokes/rumors but I'm into it. ETA to Tobey landing a DCEU role...

i hope their plan is fairly intact. for better or worse i'm now invested in where snyder planned on taking this arc.

BadAss2961

not happy about this guy writing Batman as well. last thing I want is that movie feeling like some assembly line movie like i imagine the dcu will be gearing towards. Johns is kinda stretching himself thin here.

"hope and optimism" isn't necessarily a bad thing, it was practically the theme of the batman trilogy tbh. but we'll see how it pans out here. i just really don't want the dcu to turn into the mcu. suicide squad already felt like a poor attempt at going for that audience.
I think Squad was aimed at general pop culture. It felt part MTV... Fom the music to the fashion, and all the ink. The movie also went kinda nuts with the language and themes. It's harder than the Ultimate Cut in every way but violence. MCU tends to stay in that family audience.

Hope and optimism sounds fine with it being JL time now.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
i hope their plan is fairly intact. for better or worse i'm now invested in where snyder planned on taking this arc.

Snyder owns you.

c417e92d130ed16d671ae2e816edc1700d1cb39b_hq.jpg

He is so fired after JL.

Yeah. Main thing is, Cyborg and Aquaman, like Batman and WW in BvS, are coming from a broken place. Don't want the film to rob them of their journey, and the League's as whole, by having them be jovial and happy characters before appropriate. Flash is sort of the outlier, but even so the trailer sets him up as this lonely guy having trouble connecting with others.

Yeah. Main thing is, Cyborg and Aquaman, like Batman and WW in BvS, are coming from a broken place. Don't want the film to rob them of their journey, and the League's as whole, by having them be jovial and happy characters before appropriate. Flash is sort of the outlier, but even so the trailer sets him up as this lonely guy having trouble connecting with others.

Flash's loner issues won't be a big deal, he seems like he was always gonna be the more upbeat one since they cast Ezra. but yeah Cyborg and Aquaman we'll see what happens.

Boke1879

When I hear of hope and optimism I more so think about it from the perspective of the ending of BvS.

Bruce is more hopeful and it seems Diana is coming around to being that way again as well. I do think Hope may be a central them to JL and for good reason. Building a team to take on a threat. I don't think they'll be constantly laughing and joking and popping champagne.

Hey, have we heard if Amy is in Justice League? I haven't heard any reports of her being on-set, but I have to imagine you'd have Lois around for the revival of Supes.

Ninjimbo

I wish I knew someone who worked at RT, that way I could tell him to change it 100% Fresh no matter how many negative reviews are coming in.
Imagine what would be the reaction to that form of collusion. The threads would be glorious.

Anyone else bothered by all the hope and optimism talk? I honestly don't know how to take it right now. Does that mean the heroes are going to be quipping when they each take a turn punching Steppemwolfe?

If some shit like that happens, I'm flipping tables.

Now that these Joe rumors panned out, who else have DC fans been talking on social media to uncover their involvement? Something up with that Channing Tatum thing a while back?

I hope Steppenwolf is non stop quip machine, and Batman beats Darkseid by dancing to the beat of 'Staying Alive'. If you cant beat Marvel, become Marvel.

a916

What happens if it gets like 100% on RT?

NeoGAF will find a way to hate it. This is the same place that treats TDK as the single worst atrocity that has graced the film screen.

I don't think Batman is in a broken place anymore, especially after the end of BVS, he's begun his journey already. And there's no reason AM is broken either. Wonder Woman alluded to it at the end of the movie that she's broken but by affliation, just like Batman, she can start her journey right away too. Cyborg definitely in a broken place if his origin takes place around the time JL takes place. Flash should be happy go lucky.

J_Viper

Probably Evans tier (current, not the joke salary he was given when he started as Cap). RDJ only gets paid as much as he does because he strong armed Marvel while they were desperate to keep him. iirc, he gets an absurd cut for an actor of the total BO and residuals.

Noooooo way

The money they had to give Affleck to sign on in the first place was probably massive. Remember he originally turned it down.

Then they bumped him up to EP on JL, and he's rumored to be making passes on that script with Johns.

On top of that, he made it clear that he was skeptical of directing The Batfleck himself, so that's another dump truck full of cash to convince him to get behind the camera.

Also, he has an Oscar.

Maybe he's not making RDJ cash, but boy is making stacks.

guek

Banned
Noooooo way

The money they had to give Affleck to sign on in the first place was probably massive. Remember he originally turned it down.

Then they bumped him up to EP on JL, and he's rumored to be making passes on that script with Johns.

On top of that, he made it clear that he was skeptical of directing The Batfleck himself, so that's another dump truck full of cash to convince him to get behind the camera.

Also, he has an Oscar.

Maybe he's not making RDJ cash, but boy is making stacks.

Traditionally, these types of roles pay more with each additional major appearance. Evans got paid $7mil for AoU whereas RDJ's running rate is a ridiculous, mind blowing $40 million. Evans definitely got a pay raise for Civil War and probably took home $10-15mil if not more (Johansson took home $20mil for AoU). Affleck's biggest payday for a film was $15mil on Paycheck in 2003. I don't think they'd give him much more than than that for his first appearance since they'd have to keep increasing his rate with each movie. Somewhere between $15-20mil seems most likely to me for BvS.

J_Viper

Traditionally, these types of roles pay more with each additional major appearance. Evans got paid $7mil for AoU whereas RDJ's running rate is a ridiculous, mind blowing $40 million. Evans definitely got a pay raise for Civil War and probably took home $10-15mil if not more (Johansson took home $20mil for AoU). Affleck's biggest payday for a film was $15mil on Paycheck in 2003. I don't think they'd give him much more than than that for his first appearance since they'd have to keep increasing his rate with each movie. Somewhere between $15-20mil seems most likely to me for BvS.

I see, you're probably right with the increasing pay rate. I'm just thinking Affleck had to have been paid more than Evans was when he started in the MCU, considering Affleck's pedigree at the time.

Good on Evans for raking in 7 million on Ultron though. I think I remember reading he was paid peanuts for the first Avengers.

Live By Night looks fantastic. Dude is gonna give us the best comic book movie since TDK if the DC division falls back off him.

God damn. Didn't expect live by night to look that great.

WhiteWolf

Yeah same here, but I enjoyed both MoS and BvS quite a bit. Even with its flaws, BvS ultimate cut is probably in my top 5 favorite comic book movies or at least very close to it.

I don't mind JL being lighter, but I still want it to be serious. Most of the jokes in modern comic book films just make me cringe. All of these movies benefit from toning that stuff down.
in retrospect I really wish snyder did something different then a generic "Big Boss" villain final act.
I think they should've made them each fight a separate threat instead of Doomsday together. If they wanted to keep Doomsday in, maybe have Batman and Wonder Woman be preoccupied or something while Superman struggles and eventually dies to Doomsday. At least it would've kept the finale from being too much CGI.

shingi70

Banned
The best bet was to use an enemy like Omac where Batman fighting the good and then hacking Omac, while wonder woman and superman right the main robots.

Penguin

Nah, save OMAC for the eventual "Batman still has misgivings about metas" plotpoint.

Funny story... not really

But always find it funny how folks are like it's so out of character for Batman to be so driven against meta-humans

And I'm like he caused Tower of Babel and the OMAC Projects. Batman's paranoia against the League is well-documented

As an aside, and why can into this thread.... some insane fans spotted this Easter Egg

Cr3UYLEWEAQTaZb.jpg

I know this is reaching but is this an easter egg? Joe Shuster is born in Ontario.

And confirmed by Clay
I just showed this to Zack and he said, #finally someone noticed.

https://twitter.com/ClayEnos/status/774170361390706688

strafer

Funny story... not really

But always find it funny how folks are like it's so out of character for Batman to be so driven against meta-humans

And I'm like he caused Tower of Babel and the OMAC Projects. Batman's paranoia against the League is well-documented

As an aside, and why can into this thread.... some insane fans spotted this Easter Egg

Cr3UYLEWEAQTaZb.jpg

And confirmed by Clay

https://twitter.com/ClayEnos/status/774170361390706688

So the CW verse is connected? Yay.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
When Zack retires, he should release some sort of BTS of all the things we missed in his movies. I'd love that.

Neoxon

Kohei Ashiya (the animation director for the ongoing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime adaptation) did some art for Harley Quinn in the JoJo style.

A2ee785.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom