• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

14384222_1254496761237392_1351817383_n.gif

Came out forced as fuck IMO, but I think everything in that movie sucked anyway.

Elena Anaya, the actresses in the mask in the Wonder Woman trailer, is probably Circe. Most speculated that to be the case.

And another pic of the Knightmare Flash,

vzjjQTz.jpg

Tabby

Elena Anaya, the actresses in the mask in the Wonder Woman trailer, is probably Circe. Most speculated that to be the case.

And another pic of the Knightmare Flash,

vzjjQTz.jpg

Interesting that all Knightmare heroes have full on masks.
I know it's an alternate universe/timeline but I'd love to revisit it eventually.

WhiteWolf

Interesting that all Knightmare heroes have full on masks.
I know it's an alternate universe/timeline but I'd love to revisit it eventually.
I really hope we see more of the Knightmare timeline too, but I have a feeling it will only be mentioned sparringly (or worse, used as a punchline).

Tabby

I really hope we see more of the Knightmare timeline too, but I have a feeling it will only be mentioned sparringly (or worse, used as a punchline).

I've said it before but I'll say it again, it'll probably be something like Bart Allen in YJ. Replace Bart with Barry, he comes from the Knightmare timeline and that's why he's so quick to join the JL.

I'd love to see other Knightmare Superheroes.

Ninjimbo

I'll be honest. I hope that it will be swept under the rug and forgotten like the afterthought that it was.
Hell no. I would like to see more of it. Visually, it's one of the more stranger things to emerge out of this universe. I would like to see them explore it.

Given the choice between going back in time and wiping the Knightmare out of the theatrical (and Ultimate) cut and letting it stand, I'd ditch it, but now that it's there they might as well do something interesting with it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Given the choice between going back in time and wiping the Knightmare out of the theatrical (and Ultimate) cut and letting it stand, I'd ditch it, but now that it's there they might as well do something interesting with it.
Yeah, the worst thing to happen would be to ignore it. There should be some kind of payoff I would hope.

jackdoe

Mad Max apocalyptic Justice League vs evil Superman and Darkseid? That doesn't sound at all cool?
On paper, it's an interesting concept. But it was probably the worst thing in Batman v Superman UC, and it would be best to forget about it IMO.

Yeah, the worst thing to happen would be to ignore it. There should be some kind of payoff I would hope.
That wouldn't be the worst thing. The worst thing would be for it to be brought up again as an aside in other movies, distracting viewers from the main plot yet again, and setting up for a payoff three or four movies in the future.

Seems like most in this thread don't like any of the DCEU movies.

nope loved both MoS and BvS, I liked SS but not as much as the other two.

On paper, it's an interesting concept. But it was probably the worst thing in Batman v Superman UC, and it would be best to forget about it IMO.

That wouldn't be the worst thing. The worst thing would be for it to be brought up again as an aside in other movies, distracting viewers from the main plot yet again, and setting up for a payoff three or four movies in the future.

like Marvel and the infinity stones?

guek

Banned
like Marvel and the infinity stones?
The difference is the stones are central to the plot in their respective movies. The nightmare is not in any way necessary for the plot of BvS beyond ancillary speculation. You lose nothing with its omission other than fan service. The same can't be said for the infinity stones.

Bleepey

The difference is the stones are central to the plot in their respective movies. The nightmare is not in any way necessary for the plot of BvS beyond ancillary speculation. You lose nothing with its omission other than fan service. The same can't be said for the infinity stones.

Whilst I agree the knightmare sequence should have been truncated and some pacing was lost that could have been better spent on the bullet subplot, it's not true the Knightmare sequence was pointless. The knightmare sequence was the reason he wanted to go form the Justice League at the end. I had to think long and hard to remember what role each of the macguffins (at times that's a bit generous) /infinity stones played.

MisterHero

I'm telling you Darkseid was attacking Batman with Anti-Life, that's why he gets those visions. Putting Superman in the dream was to make him his opponent, rather than say he'd be the actual baddie.

Darkseid is chosing Batman as his champion. And yes, because it happened in Final Crisis

shingi70

Banned
Knightmare sequence would have benefitted from not only seeing the full Justice League, but it not being a weird dream thing. It should have ended with Bruce telling Barry to run as the parademons land, and after future Bruce is killed it cuts back to present day Bruce and then Barry comes back with warning.

Bleepey

Knightmare sequence would have benefitted from not only seeing the full Justice League, but it not being a weird dream thing. It should have ended with Bruce telling Barry to run as the parademons land, and after future Bruce is killed it cuts back to present day Bruce and then Barry comes back with warning.

I would have cut it down to a minute. Stuff like bolts of lightening going from scene to scene a bit like the montage in Limitless. So stuff like establishing shot with omega symbol, lightning, cut to kryptonite box, lightning, then cut to shootout, cut to Superman and the Lois bit then the Flash giving his warning.

Jonogunn

Whilst I agree the knightmare sequence should have been truncated and some pacing was lost that could have been better spent on the bullet subplot, it's not true the Knightmare sequence was pointless. The knightmare sequence was the reason he wanted to go form the Justice League at the end. I had to think long and hard to remember what role each of the macguffins (at times that's a bit generous) /infinity stones played.

And if DC learned anything from marvel movies is that using a movie to set up future plots doesn't end well (iron man 2, age of ultron).

The knightmare sequence can't even be compared to the infinity stone. Yes the stone is just a macguffin but at least it's part of the movie's plot. The knightmare sequence was thrown in there and then never referred to again and had zero impact on the film itself. It was very out of place.

Hopefully justice league is more focused and I think it will be.

Whenever I try to make the Knightmare work, I slowly realize I'm just describing Xmen DOFP. But yes. A cold open where Batman is attacking a convoy to rescue Flash, where Aquaman and Cyborg show up, would've been dope.

Can't remember the exact rumors but the Knightmare had a different context in Goyer's script. Something like Darkseid actually being the catalyst for the vision.

Ross61

I'm willing to make a bet that all the people saying they will never give a single dollar to the DCEU will be fapping to the next trailer of Wonder Woman.

But guys remember that scene aboard Zod's ship? There one with the Kojima info dump and Lois is there for no reason? Then Russell Crowes shows up to make hand gestures?

MoS has some rancid shit. Which is a shame, because the material that works is really damn good.

"Guys we need a Superman script"

"Brb gonna call the director of Blade: Trinity"

David Goyer (Director of Blade Trinity) was the brainchild of the Dark Knight Trilogy you know that right?

David Goyer (Director of Blade Trinity) was the brainchild of the Dark Knight Trilogy you know that right?

It's pretty clear now that he was mostly involved in a story capacity in those films. The Dark Knight trilogy has Nolan's writing all over it. For all the good and bad that brings. Brainchild is really overstating his involvement, Nolan was the brainchild of it

A terrible ass robotic script like man of Steel or blade trinity is what you get when you leave the guy alone. The difference in dialogue between man of Steel and BvS was night and day mate.

IconGrist

It's pretty clear now that he was mostly involved in a story capacity in those films. The Dark Knight trilogy has Nolan's writing all over it. For all the good and bad that brings. Brainchild is really overstating his involvement, Nolan was the brainchild of it

A terrible ass robotic script like man of Steel or blade trinity is what you get when you leave the guy alone. The difference in dialogue between man of Steel and BvS was night and day mate.

MoS was also rushed which is a little detail that gets left out in these conversations. Then you look at SS which also had a rushed script and Goyer comes out looking pretty good.

Yeah I think Superman was in a big rights dispute at the time and they had to quickly churn something out.

It's prolly a big reason why a lot of directors turned it down in the first place.

Verendus

Banned
I finally watched Suicide Squad. I expected something entirely different. Very by the numbers, and forgettable. Will Smith and Viola Davis were ace though. I hope they return in another movie. That's the first miss for me. I'm still looking forward to more Buttman and Superman though.

guek

Banned

While it does give some context, I'd argue little of anything would be lost on the ending if the nightmare was removed entirely. It's a fairly cliche cliffhanger ending anyway, the whole "something even bigger is out there" bit. The meta-human files would have been enough impetus for Bruce to want to get better organized to avoid infighting in the future.

As for the infinity stones, whether or not you remember their roles is completely irrelevant. Each one has contributed far more to the plots of the movies in which they appear than the nightmare scene in BvS.

I'm telling you Darkseid was attacking Batman with Anti-Life, that's why he gets those visions. Putting Superman in the dream was to make him his opponent, rather than say he'd be the actual baddie.

Darkseid is chosing Batman as his champion. And yes, because it happened in Final Crisis

Dude, if your prediction comes true, I swear I will buy you a pizza

Ninjimbo

I'll agree with you on the dialogue, but on the whole, I think Goyer gave you a pretty good script. It's supposed to be a First Contact story and it feels like a proper origin story for Supes. He's written as an outsider, a loner trying to figure out what he is and who he is while also wrestling with the fact that those very answers will change the course of humanity.

Those scenes of him as a kid struggling with the x-ray vision or the scenes where he is talking with his dad, I think they're kinda brilliant. At least to me, they hit more relatable notes than the corny scenes Donner gave you in that first Supes movie. I liked seeing Clark as kid just plain old scared. I would be scared too if I discovered I was an alien.

I also really dig the Krypton stuff. It not only builds the universe, but that also helps elevate Zod and give him all the reasons in the world for acting the way he does right down to his speech and mannerisms. He's a genetically engineered soldier and his culture put value on him making sure he succeeded at his vocation. He's not really evil. He's a product of a failed society and you see how it conflicts with his innate character. I love that dude and Shannon nails it.

Apart from a few scenes, I think the story has a good logic to it and it feels modern. Goyer gets too much shit honestly.

Verendus

Banned
I loved the idea behind Man of Steel's story. It's part of why I like it. I feel, with a solid edit, that could've been a great movie. I still think it's pretty good as it is though.

Jonogunn

sad super man was fine for man of steel since it's an origin story but by the time bvs came out he should have been closer to the superman we know. Especially since in that last scene of superman in MOS he was smiling and telling the general he'll have to trust him.

sad super man was fine for man of steel since it's an origin story but by the time bvs came out he should have been closer to the superman we know. Especially since in that last scene of superman in MOS he was smiling and telling the general he'll have to trust him.

As much as I would like that superman again there was no room for him in BvS as it was. It would be a totally different movie.

but we don't yet know that the Knightmare sequence won't lead to something greater. I agree that you can cut it out of the movie and it won't hurt it but I think it's better to drop seeds here and there rather than have to force each movie's central plot be about something that won't pay off years down the line, assuming the movie is good of course.

Bleepey

While it does give some context, I'd argue little of anything would be lost on the ending if the nightmare was removed entirely. It's a fairly cliche cliffhanger ending anyway, the whole "something even bigger is out there" bit. The meta-human files would have been enough impetus for Bruce to want to get better organized to avoid infighting in the future.

As for the infinity stones, whether or not you remember their roles is completely irrelevant. Each one has contributed far more to the plots of the movies in which they appear than the nightmare scene in BvS.

Dude, if your prediction comes true, I swear I will buy you a pizza

how would the mets human files have given him the impetus to start the JL? He doesn't know whether the earth has bigger threats coming

IconGrist

Here's the problem:

The movie relies on 2 different scenarios in order to justify Batman's motivation to prepare for imminent threat. The Knightmare and Lex's ramblings. Without one or the other you're left with buying Batman just has a gut feeling. The script would have to be altered in order to make this not the case. As is the movie needs both. Where the problem lies for most people is that the Knightmare sequence makes those who are unfamiliar with the comics believe Superman was responsible for the way Earth looked in the Knightmare. The only allusion to something else is the Omega symbol which works out for us but not for your average movie goer who likely didn't even notice it let alone know what it meant. So, 90% of your audience is left with Batman has a gut feeling based on some crazy person's rambling.

guek

Banned
how would the mets human files have given him the impetus to start the JL? He doesn't know whether the earth has bigger threats coming

He doesn't really know anything based on the nightmare regardless, it's just a nightmare. The fact that he just went on a murder quest and Luthor's rambling about something bigger coming are enough to justify investigating the other metas. It's not like the "I sense something bigger coming" trope needed any further justification anyway since it's been used effectively in fiction in the past under flimsier pretenses.

Here's the problem:

The movie relies on 2 different scenarios in order to justify Batman's motivation to prepare for imminent threat. The Knightmare and Lex's ramblings. Without one or the other you're left with buying Batman just has a gut feeling. The script would have to be altered in order to make this not the case. As is the movie needs both. Where the problem lies for most people is that the Knightmare sequence makes those who are unfamiliar with the comics believe Superman was responsible for the way Earth looked in the Knightmare. The only allusion to something else is the Omega symbol which works out for us but not for your average movie goer who likely didn't even notice it let alone know what it meant. So, 90% of your audience is left with Batman has a gut feeling based on some crazy person's rambling.

To build on this, one of the bigger problems with the nightmare is that it's never directly addressed by Bruce, not even immediately after it happens. Does he think it was a bona fide vision of the future or just a bad dream? Who the hell knows, but that little bit of information would have been useful for both comic reader and layman audiences to process its significance. Bruce's interpretation matters because if it's just a dream, you can't use it as justification for forming the league, but if he believes it's more than that, it would help to know that he's approaching it as a legit phenomenon that deserves further investigation.

Why couldn't Batman's motivation just have been the city destruction in the first 10 minutes of the film?

They're talking about his motivation for building the League, not going after Supes.

(I thought the same for a hot minute, lol)

I would say that the Knightmare is unnecessary in that context, though. Luthor's ramblings + reports from the SWAT team that arrested him (the Communion scene) should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom