• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Well we'll get more casting news for The Flash and Aquaman soon.

But yeah would expect a teaser for WW/JL with Fantastical Beasts... and yeah I know weird to go from trailer to teaser

Well we'll get more casting news for The Flash and Aquaman soon.

But yeah would expect a teaser for WW/JL with Fantastical Beasts... and yeah I know weird to go from trailer to teaser

Hopefully the flash just has a bunch of famuyiwa alums. Id love to see shameik moore in there as a friend of Barry/Iris

Or hell....even wally west

Not to knock Momoa and Heard too much, I hope Aquaman fills out its supporting cast with stronger actors. Black Manta and Orm casting are pivotal.

Yeah those leads are just window dressing tbh. At least they got Dafoe with them tho.

It's also a trend to go with a better actor for the villain so they're probably looking for somebody big for manta too

New trailers will be attached to the Harry Potter spinoff movie no doubt. Prolly one for wonder woman

With maybe a new JL trailer in front of rogue one. Hyped for the JL trailer.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
New trailers will be attached to the Harry Potter spinoff movie no doubt. Prolly one for wonder woman

With maybe a new JL trailer in front of rogue one. Hyped for the JL trailer.

You liked the first JL teaser? I didn't think much of it.

I mean it really wasn't a teaser. It was what they had on hand after 30 days of shooting. They're lucky they had the right parts to make it appear as a teaser.

You liked the first JL teaser? I didn't think much of it.

I liked the music and the shot of aquaman breaking the waves. That's about it. But considering I had no hope for aquaman before the trailer it did a lot for him imo

Him standing on the rocks is such a nice looking shot Forreal. Shit looked tight. Oh and wonder woman looked pretty cool too with the shield

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the music and the shot of aquaman breaking the waves. That's about it. But considering I had no hope for aquaman before the trailer it did a lot for him imo

Him standing on the rocks is such a nice looking shot Forreal. Shit looked tight. Oh and wonder woman looked pretty cool too with the shield

That shot was the most Snydery thing in the trailer, everything else felt bland and fell flat for me.

J_Viper

They kinda have to though

The morose tone fit BvS, but when you start bringing in Ancient Aliens and Aquaman, you gotta lighten up a bit

I am, however, very worried about Ezra. I feel like he can easily turn out to be Eisenburg 2.0, in terms of overdoing it.

Penguin

Here's a more fuller quote

Time Warner chairman-CEO Jeff Bewkes told investors Wednesday that there is “a little room for improvement” in the creative execution of Warner Bros.’ DC Comics movie slate. But he stressed that the two titles released to date have been financially successful and have achieved the larger strategic goal of reinvigorating classic DC characters for a new generation of moviegoers.

Referencing the lukewarm critical response to this year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad,” Bewkes admitted during his Q&A at Goldman Sachs’ Communacopia investor conference: “The DC Comics characters … have a little more lightness in them than maybe what you saw in those movies, so we’re thinking about that.”

Bewkes said the studio has enlisted DC Comics entertainment president Geoff Johns and production guru Jon Berg to take a firm hand in guiding the upcoming DC releases. But he sees no reversal in Warner Bros.’ ambitious plan for releasing a string of DC-branded tentpoles through 2020, with “Wonder Woman” and “Justice League” to come next year.

“The strategy worked,” Bewkes said. “The execution did deliver what we wanted to do. We can do a little better on the creative. … We’re right on course or better” with the plan, he said, citing “Suicide Squad’s” legs at the box office.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/jeff-bewkes-batman-v-superman-suicide-squad-time-warner-1201866932/

I understand pivoting from BvS. That makes sense. The end kind of promises that too anyways

But wtf at mentioning suicide squad alongside it. If anything that stupid movie was too light considering the circumstances and the characters involved

Anyways I hope batman has a very noir vibe to it. If they fuck with it because of audience expectations ill be super disappointed

Bleepey

Having made his mark as Raphael in both 2014’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and its recent follow-up, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows, actor Alan Ritchson has become something of a favourite among fans of superhero movies. That being the case, it comes as no surprise to find that a seemingly innocent question and answer on his Twitter feed as cranked the comic book movie rumour mill into overdrive, as he appears to have confirmed that he will play the titular hero in the long-awaited DC film, Shazam.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/alan-ritchson-cranks-shazam-rumour-mill/

If anyone has seen Blue Mountain State, he can pull of childlike innocence perfectly and he is stacked like a brick shit house. Oil changes for everyone!

Black Panther has a good shot if Marvel Studios doesn't interfere. Coogler's a great director and Chadwick has been out there talking about it being serious and raw and less playground tomfoolery than typical MCU.

With Affleck's Batman, hope he's true to his ideas of a detective story, with his comparisons to Maltese Falcon and the like. It's definitely an unexplored area for Batman films and comic films as a whole.

Bleepey

Black Panther has a good shot if Marvel Studios doesn't interfere. Coogler's a great director and Chadwick has been out there talking about it being serious and raw and less playground tomfoolery than typical MCU.

With Affleck's Batman, hope he's true to his ideas of a detective story, with his comparisons to Maltese Falcon and the like. It's definitely an unexplored area for Batman films and comic films as a whole.

You do realise the detective sub plot was a huge part of BVS right. With the whole white Portuguese and all that stuff. It's kids sad people shit on BVS because it's too my recollection the only Batman or Superman movie where Batman play detective and Lois and Clark play reporter. I don't think they played more than lip service to that in the whole Lois and Clark Tv series.

You do realise the detective sub plot was a huge part of BVS right. With the whole white Portuguese and all that stuff. It's kids sad people shit on BVS because it's too my recollection the only Batman or Superman movie where Batman play detective and Lois and Clark play reporter. I don't think they played more than lip service to that in the whole Lois and Clark Tv series.

I know what you're saying. It's just, when I say detective story, I mean in the genre sense. Batman does detective stuff in Nolan's films, too. Tony Stark does detective work in Iron Man 3.

Having seen waititis latest movies and liking creed a lot I normally would be hyped for Thor 3 and Black Panther...if they weren't operating under Feige's mcu. I think there's a ceiling of quality of that entire slate of films and it's not all that high imo.

With the dcu I still dunno yet. We had suicide squad and the theatrical cut of BvS which just scream "preduction fuckery" but it's also apparent that BvS is the product of them letting snyder and company run amok with their properties. So that could go either way. Really I just want something on that spiderman 2 or tdk level and I don't think these cinematic universes are the place for it. With DC it might be possible but that's looking less and less likely with time. Really batman is that last great hope imo.

A raimi man of Steel 2 would be up there too.

shingi70

Banned
Why everybody here want DC to be so dark when outside of a few stories and time periods the DC has always been fairly light hearted.

guek

Banned
I know what you're saying. It's just, when I say detective story, I mean in the genre sense. Batman does detective stuff in Nolan's films, too. Tony Stark does detective work in Iron Man 3.

Yeah, there's a difference between characters doing detective work and a detective movie, aka a mystery. There's no compelling mystery to solve in BvS.

Batman does more actual detective work in Batman 89' connecting Jack Napier to the death of his parents, Batman Returns researching Oswald Cobblepot, and even TDK tracing the bullet fingerprint than he does in BvS. Finding out the White Portuguese is a ship and not a person and tracking its shipment is hardly a major detective subplot. He stumbles upon the meta-human files completely by accident too. None of these are really mystery driven detective noir movies which is what I believe broncobuster is referring to. TDK is the closest we've gotten but it's a slightly different kind of crime noir.

The first Superman movie also made a huge deal about Lois being the first reporter to interview Superman. What you're thinking of is investigative journalism which is actually a significant driver of the plots in The Adventures of Lois and Clark in spite of your assertion to the contrary. IIRC though, that aspect hasn't been featured significantly in the movies until BvS.

Ninjimbo

Why everybody here want DC to be so dark when outside of a few stories and time periods the DC has always been fairly light hearted.
BvS was awesome and I want more of that. It feels nice to have a superhero movie with actual stakes rather than have those characters be on screen playing like action figures to the audience.

I don't. I just liked the really nihilistic take on the dcu that we got with BvS.

My ideal superhero movie is still Spiderman 2 (even over tdk) and it's something I think the flash movie and especially man of Steel 2 should look at as inspiration

As for batman. Yeah I'd prefer his films stay a bit heavier with the tone. Gotham is a shithole.

Spider-Man 2 is often mentioned next to TDK as the gold standards of comic films so I don't know if it's a light or dark tone thing. Most seem to want emotionally rich stories that maybe challenge them on some level. And I suppose there's an idea that's what dark means, and light is never aspiring to more than vapid entertainment? Again, I don't know. Doubt anybody wants Flash or Shazam to be all grim and broody.

With Justice League, though, I've seen the idea it should take cues from Morrison's JLA over others. I agree with that.

I'd argue spiderman 2 was just as dramatically engaging (and at times moreso) than the Nolan trilogy.

So yeah it's not really a "only more serious movies can do this" or vice versa.

And Morrison is absolutely the inspiration to take for this team and I think thats what we'll get going by BvS. One thing I really did appreciate about it was how larger than life the presence of these characters felt, the buzzword "mythological" gets thrown around a lot and that's exactly how it feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom