• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

You can bet your ass that avengers 3 will be a CG fight at the end. And I don't see a difference with having the cg fight in the middle vs having it at the end. for those that hate it that much, it's still there.

IconGrist

https://youtu.be/s2Rc_bJvaic?t=1m16s

Probably the most candid Affleck's been on BvS.

Even Affleck seems to be of the position that tone was what failed BvS. And it's true. You read any amount of posts and you will find the common theme was it was too dark. At least for a movie focused on a character who is the embodiment of hope. Yes, there are plenty who would argue the tone was not the issue it was the execution but that in of itself usually leads back to the tone. Again, because of Superman. I don't know. I've read countless posts and seen hundreds of videos both for and against BvS and the common theme to the complaints has always been tone. I don't think the Snyders and Johns and what have you are wrong to say that is what the focus of their course correction is. Regardless of how you feel about WB interfering with SS to make it lighter they seem to have made the right call because despite it reviewing worse than BvS it had way better legs. The public has spoken and they want Marvel-ized DCEU movies.

Bleepey

Even Affleck seems to be of the position that tone was what failed BvS. And it's true. You read any amount of posts and you will find the common theme was it was too dark. At least for a movie focused on a character who is the embodiment of hope. Yes, there are plenty who would argue the tone was not the issue it was the execution but that in of itself usually leads back to the tone. Again, because of Superman. I don't know. I've read countless posts and seen hundreds of videos both for and against BvS and the common theme to the complaints has always been tone. I don't think the Snyders and Johns and what have you are wrong to say that is what the focus of their course correction is. Regardless of how you feel about WB interfering with SS to make it lighter they seem to have made the right call because despite it reviewing worse than BvS it had way better legs. The public has spoken and they want Marvel-ized DCEU movies.

That's kind of a shame. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Ashhong

I was thinking the same thing as I watched that video. And yet you will have a hundred people here yell that tone is not the issue. I just hope Ben realizes it's only one issue. Execution was clearly an issue as well considering how many ppl prefer the UC

WhiteWolf

How many of you are planning on seeing The Accountant? I'll admit Ben Affleck being Batman has only increased my interest in it, but the trailers for it have been pretty cool as well.

a916

It's a crying shame but if anyone is to be "blamed" and I don't even want to use that word... it's the people on forums and writing articles. A lot of people complained, not even about the movie, but about tone. A lot of reviews and articles written about the movie complained about tone and not the structural elements of the movie. Everyone latched on to tone and WB went and changed that up for SS and it's clear that's what people want regardless of quality because SS was a much worse film than BvS.

(there was nothing wrong with the movies tone, the GOAT has a darker tone and it's still GOAT).

How many of you are planning on seeing The Accountant? I'll admit Ben Affleck being Batman has only increased my interest in it, but the trailers for it have been pretty cool as well.

Most likely day one.

SJRB

Gold Member

Most definately seeing that, the trailer was really, really well done.

Ninjimbo

*nods head*
I would just point to the reviews, really. Most of the critics you see counted on RT have the same knowledge and interests as the casual film goer and all the flack was coming from one place: the film's tone. One of my favorite critics (Michael Phillips) compared Snyder to Lars Von Trier, citing stuff like Lex's abuse at the hand of his father or Martha Kent almost being burned alive as content that shouldn't be in a superhero movie. It's a ridiculous comparison but an approximation of how most people felt. It's why we had five hundred threads on why Batman was killing. The depiction of their beloved characters as flawed individuals triggered a lot of people.

People complain that Marvel is too light. People complain that BvS and MoS are too dark. It's that simple. With SS doing as great as did at the box office, now we know which tone is worth more.

I have no idea what this means for the future.

J_Viper

People complain that Marvel is too light. People complain that BvS and MoS are too dark. It's that simple. With SS doing as great as did at the box office, now we know which tone is worth more.

And that's the worst part about SS's success. WB's mentality that their meddling actually helped more than it hurt. What if JL,

I'd like to think that WB is aware of how much more successful SS could have been if the quality was there, but who the hell knows with those morons.

I don't believe Affleck's tone remark is entirely true. I know a few reviews from notable outlets critiqued the storytelling and editing problems. Here, I know myself and others cited those problems. But the reception to its tone made his remark true enough that I hope he isn't influenced with his Batman film. By in large the films he has creative control over aren't light, as he puts it.

The "fans...went" comment is funny.

Seemingly in another interview he confirms Deathstroke is a villain in The Batman. Can't recall if that was a rumor or known before.

Ashhong

I don't believe Affleck's tone remark is entirely true. I know a few reviews from notable outlets critiqued the storytelling and editing problems. Here, I know myself and others cited those problems. But the reception to its tone made his remark true enough that I hope he isn't influenced with his Batman film. By in large the films he has creative control over aren't light, as he puts it.

The "fans...went" comment is funny.

Seemingly in another interview he confirms Deathstroke is a villain in The Batman. Can't recall if that was a rumor or known before.

I feel like the tone is just a byproduct of the story that they set out to tell. We'll see what kind of changes there are.

Mayimbe guaranteed before that Deathstroke is the villain for the solo. That surprised me since the only DS I know is from Arrow. Is he a huge Batman character? Almost feels like they are piggy backing off of the popularity of the character from the show, but I know almost nothing about comic lore so..

I feel like the tone is just a byproduct of the story that they set out to tell. We'll see what kind of changes there are.

Mayimbe guaranteed before that Deathstroke is the villain for the solo. That surprised me since the only DS I know is from Arrow. Is he a huge Batman character? Almost feels like they are piggy backing off of the popularity of the character from the show, but I know almost nothing about comic lore so..

Deathstroke is probably most notably a Teen Titans villain, though he's been a Batman antagonist plenty of times.

Raptor

Im gonna go ahead and add some stuff on my own, see I see this movie was a what is like to be the Bat while the world is introduced on Superman, in that sense it has the right tone IMO, Affleck Batman movie should follow this type of tone at times almost horror sque Batman in the shadows scaring the living shit out of people and criminals.

I think this movie failed is in saying it was a sequel to MoS, it should have been a just "Dawn of Justice" thats it, no Superman on the tittle.

People dont associate Superman to darkness and grim thats what Batman is for and the real MoS sequel has to be as opposite as the next Batman will be, maybe not thematicaly but in tone, while Superman will deal with his problems and enemies with his heart full of hope and not depressed, Batman should deal with his own enemies with fear and despair.

Snyder tried to do a a movie while not even establishing the Superman as a embodiment of hope and justice, instead he made while Supes is all emo depressed and the bat is all psychopat crazy fuck.

So in IMO this movie makes sense if you watch it entirely from Bruce perspective because if you even try and see it from Clark the more you see it the more it fails.

Superman in the movie is framed through the publics perspective including Bruce

The scenes that we do get with Clark are when it's all weighing heavy on him and hes not quite able to handle that kind of scrutiny and pressure

Thats all it is. That happy I'm up for anything I don't have worries at all hero would just be hilariously out of place in that particular movie tbh. But yeah it should be happening in Justice League and perhaps man of Steel 2

Yea the tone might not have been the only thing people weren't cool with but its pretty much mentioned in all reviews that had a problem with the movie. "Too serious" and "not enough fun" were the main points.

Being a fan of the movie I obviously loved the tone they went for and I'm also a little worried how much lighter they're going to make Justice League because of the backlash. My only hope is that Snyder is allowed to stick to his original vision and any tonal changes are natural since it was always meant to be a lighter film compared to BvS. I just hope they don't go overboard with it. Last thing I want to say about JL when I walk out the theatres is "That was Justice League made by Marvel Studios" (I love Marvel).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Superman is just lame in bed and on top of that bald, how arrogant and narrow-minded of you people to tell him what he should be doing. He doesn't tell you how to live your life, now does he?

Do whatever you want Baldman, be as sad as you want. Or don't. You don't owe these people anything.

Raptor

Maybe Superman is just lame in bed and on top of that bald, how arrogant and narrow-minded of you people to tell him what he should be doing. He doesn't tell you how to live your life, now does he?

Do whatever you want Baldman, be as sad as you want. Or don't. You don't owe these people anything.

Calm the fuck down!!

A scene like this, minus the city sprawling, would be neat to see for Superman's return.

aec5de53d5834887f5df394f7a661fd0._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

dan2026

It's wasn't the tone that failed BvS. A dark tone is fine.
It was the awful writing and the fact that whoever wrote it didn't seem to understand the characters of Batman, Superman or Lex Luthor. Instead managing to do disservice to all 3.

A scene like this, minus the city sprawling, would be neat to see for Superman's return.

Don't hold your breath. This was writen by someone who understands Superman's character.

Ross61

It's wasn't the tone that failed BvS. A dark tone is fine.
It was the awful writing and the fact that whoever wrote it didn't seem to understand the characters of Batman, Superman or Lex Luthor. Instead managing to do disservice to all 3.

Don't hold your breath. This was writen by someone who understands Superman's character.
The writer does understand all three characters. He did what he was told to do. And someone has won an academy award for his screenplay isn't an awful writer.

Bleepey

It's not just about tone, people were confused by things like the bullet subplot and the prison shankings in the TC. Whilst all the story beats were there, it was much harder to follow than compared to the DC.

shingi70

Banned
Really the bullet subplot, and the Knightnare scene should have been either cut or edited. Bruce and Clark should have gotten more interaction as Superman and Batman, and the titular fight should have taken place toward the middle, than the last minutes are the world's finest working g together to take down Luthor.

Really the bullet subplot, and the Knightnare scene should have been either cut or edited. Bruce and Clark should have gotten more interaction as Superman and Batman, and the titular fight should have taken place toward the middle, than the last minutes are the world's finest working g together to take down Luthor.

They wanted to give Lois a job to do other than being saved 24/7.

shingi70

Banned
They wanted to give Lois a job to do other than being saved 24/7.

Yet she's saved three different times, and her not being saved is what turns Clark bad apparently.

The bullet plotline is decent but it actually goes nowhere.

Biggest problem is so much that Lois can do, is needed for Clark to do to fill out his character.

Subitai

If anybody here liked the in and out spacey/dream vibe of BATMAN V SUPERMAN and want to see what influenced the movie heavily and get a good insight into Snyder as a director (and his vision for the dc universe, whether you agree with it or not) they should check out John Boorman's EXCALIBUR

i'm no fan of snyder and i found the theatrical version of this film to be a bit of a mess, the utimate cut was fixed but there are still script issues tbh. however I still think it's easily the most interesting movie he's made (his best too imo) and a great look into what he wants to be and his influences.

EXCALIBUR had mixed reviews when it came out, it was deemed a bit too messy and also dark for a medieval fantasy flick, which was also r rated btw. There's great imagery in there though and snyder definitely cribs from some of it for his own batman/superman flick.

this kind of says it all about the guy, especially with it being his favorite film
http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1002-Summer-2010/Screening-Room-Zack-Snyder.aspx

i certainly don't think he's as talented as john boorman but you can definitely see how much some of the dude's movies shaped him when you watch his films.

oh and a little BvS comparison
http://www.moviesinfocus.com/how-jo...onnects-to-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/

anyways. check the movie out. i can see some people here really enjoying it.

chill breh, just because superman will never have as good a movie as batman he's still cool :D
This is arguably the best part of Excalibur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyCParQTtnE It depicts real chivalry that is pretty much dead today. Basically what Superman should stand for and project. So, it is pretty disappointing Zach missed or wasn't able to weave that into BvS.

A lot of the movie still holds up. It is also fun to see young Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren, and Patrick Stewart. We maybe Stewart doesn't look much younger.

The most direct homage people will notice is the final confrontation between Arthur and Mordred. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSjHWwHkvI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom