• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in a full blown alternative cut. Extended wouldn't address any of my problems with Suicide Squad any more than a deleted scene would. We will see.

Ross61

SS's problems are way more than a mere 13 minutes can fix. So I don't think this was made with the same mindset of Ultime Edition.

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly, I'm guessing this is going to be the cut that mostly restores several of the Harley and Joker scenes to what they should have been prior to WB clearly freaking out about the tumblr crowd reaction.

Won't see any alternate edits or anything, but it'll probably feel a bit better paced overall id imagine.

a916

BvS was a whole different cut... I think this is going to just be the same movie with some parts added that don't really change the movie. Hope I'm wrong...

WhiteWolf

Wonder if this cut is more aligned with what Ayer originally intended and also if this cut was put together before or after the movie came out in theaters.

unless it's a complete rework where the scenes are back to their original intent, I can't see myself picking this up. I enjoyed seeing it once, but I have little desire to revisit it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Looks like the 4K HDR disc will be he theatrical cut, unlike BvS. Seems to make it clear this extended cut was decided at the last minute and the additional scenes were not graded for HDR.

Will youtube the extra scenes for sure. No way I'd buy this for even 5 bucks

I hope they realize with these continuous DCs that perhaps they should really deliberate over the edits instead of hacking away everything left and right.

Yeah even with those added scenes it would still be a pretty bad movie imo. It would just fix the joker/harley thing a bit. But the script is still mostly awful. A few gems from the fresh prince tho

BvS theatrical cut was already a better movie imo.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The reason the Squad is put together is awful to begin with. No saving that movie.

Penguin

The reason the Squad is put together is awful to begin with. No saving that movie.

Yeah, there's a way to fix that but it wouldn't be in an extended cut.

There's a way to fix the villain, but wouldn't be in an extended cut.

There's a way to fix the weird triple intro for Quinn and Deadshot though

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, by making another movie. We talking about this one tho.

antovolk

yubbltql.jpg

Unlike BvS, the 4K Blu-ray of which was the extended/ultimate cut, the 4K version of this is the theatrical. So yeah, this is for me the main sign that this cut is more of a bonus addition rather than the intended/de-facto version of this film. So jury's out whether this will be an improvement....

Wow holy shit SS getting a Extended Cut. Thought for sure it wasn't happening. I'm pretty excited for this. I enjoyed the movie but thought it could have been something greater. Hopefully this is it.

Ashhong

Very strange, normally I get all movies at least 2 months in advance at my work for airline media. Had BvS way early, Civil War etc. Yet to see Suicide Squad this cycle, which means earliest will be end of this month. Never had a movie so late before. Now I wonder if I should just wait for the DC

duckroll

Yeah even with those added scenes it would still be a pretty bad movie imo. It would just fix the joker/harley thing a bit. But the script is still mostly awful. A few gems from the fresh prince tho

BvS theatrical cut was already a better movie imo.

Suicide Squad might have a good short film about Joker and Harley in it, but it definitely doesn't have a good Suicide Squad film in it. If they cut all the Joker and Harley stuff OUT of the film and made a short film with that alone, maybe it'll be interesting. No matter what they add -to- the film itself though, I don't see it being a good Suicide Squad movie. The story is just dumb as fuck.

Have to wonder if most those 13 minutes will be all Joker and Harley. Katana had a decent chunk cut and replaced, probably showing up as a deleted scene.

Somewhat related, today I walked by a Halloween costume shop and a sex shop...both had Harley Quinn costumes in the window.

BadAss2961

Wrote real quick on why it intrigues me

http://nerdsontherocks.com/suicide-squad-extended-cut-can-you-fix-a-broken-movie/

BvS has its flaws, but felt (and think proven) could be easily fixed with additional content. Squad's problems seem to be more built into how the movie is designed.
I liked the way it was structured. Suicide Squad is entirely new territory for the media, and there's plenty of good characters in play here, so the movie kept focus on them. Each act revealing a bit of backstory and motivation. It worked because the actors were strong on top of working with already engaging characters, and also because there wasn't much of a villain to divert to -- just a threat. The main villain is Squad. Everything was Squad... Even Joker's involvement since all his scenes are support for Harley.

I understand not feeling this structure, but I don't see it as flawed since I think it was completely intentional... SS is a first entry, ensemble introduction story that doesn't stick to the standard 3 act template; or on the opposite end, the predictable formula approach that follows each Marvel movie no matter what it is. Squad is a bit of an odd design, matching odd characters in an odd setup for a CBM. But it's coherent and whole... The BvS TC was literally an incomplete cut of a film that broke a lot of what Snyder put together.

I'd expect a Squad sequel to follow a similar format to the original, introducing new characters again. Only now with an established base and a core group set up, more time can go to a villain.

Yeah, by making another movie. We talking about this one tho.

LMAO why you so mean?
71nqQQy.png

is a first entry, ensemble introduction story that doesn't stick to the standard 3 act template; or on the opposite end, the predictable formula approach that follows each Marvel movie no matter what it is.

You mean the Generic 3rd act CGI gore,
that was in Man of Steel?
or BvS

you mean the formula where the are no stakes, where superman was killed off just to be brought back at the end of the movie?
you mean the formula where the main villain is usually trash? like Adderall diaries or Doomsday?

dame2.png

BadAss2961

You mean the Generic 3rd act CGI gore,
that was in Man of Steel?
or BvS

you mean the formula where the are no stakes, where superman was killed off just to be brought back at the end of the movie?
you mean the formula where the main villain is usually trash? like Adderall diaries or Doomsday?

dame2.png
I mean bullet point, checklist, assembly line filmmaking where a similar pattern is followed from beginning to end with each movie regardless of what it is. When it's not just the 3rd act that follows a formula, but the entire film.

Ashhong

I really don't know why people hate MoS third act so much. I found the action and fighting to be pretty damn spectacular. I don't remember it going on for THAT long. Is it just because of the "collateral damage"?

I really don't know why people hate MoS third act so much. I found the action and fighting to be pretty damn spectacular. I don't remember it going on for THAT long. Is it just because of the "collateral damage"?

it becomes monotonous tbh.

really liked the take on it in BvS though. flipped it into one of the best comic book movie scenes of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom