• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I've said it before but I will say it again, MoS was extremely underrated. I don't understand why it got the reviews it did. The way Superman talks to the Army in the holding cell with Lois is pitch perfect Superman. So the final fight went on just a few minutes too long, and there was a lot of destruction. The rest of the movie is just great. So many good things in this.

The only discussion I ever see on this movie is lulz Jonathan lulz destruction. It even had a happy Clark at the end. I wish they would have expanded off of that with a proper solo sequel.

Ahasverus

I've said it before but I will say it again, MoS was extremely underrated. I don't understand why it got the reviews it did. The way Superman talks to the Army in the holding cell with Lois is pitch perfect Superman. So the final fight went on just a few minutes too long, and there was a lot of destruction. The rest of the movie is just great. So many good things in this.

The only discussion I ever see on this movie is lulz Jonathan lulz destruction. It even had a happy Clark at the end. I wish they would have expanded off of that with a proper solo sequel.
I don't want to say this but people were in their avengers frenzy peak that year (remember Iron man 3 making 1B+?) suddenly DC and Nolan style storytelling was out of fashion. We're now moving away from that, slowly, I feel people would receive a mildly good DC movie just fine now, but that wasn't the time for that. MoS is a good movie.

Odoul

Agreed a thousand percent.

I liked not loved BvS and I only saw it once.

I could see why people could not like it, but opinions so whatever.

But the MoS I just did not and do not get.

All the complaints about it being dark. No it took itself just the least little bit seriously and there was nothing wrong with that.

It was a perfectly fine action/summer movie.

It's one of my favorite comic book movies of all time. Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2. Saw it 4 or 5 times in the theater.

The only thing I was dissapointed in was the ending set up SO perfectly to make Luthor a savior/benefactor in the sequel and they just went in a completely different direction.

I would have loved the rumors of a ripped Luthor with a shaved head and Metroplis skyline tattoo sleeve.

If you've seen the move Ex Machina then you saw the perfect Luthor for the world Man Of Steel setup.

IconGrist

After having just watched Apoc a week ago I don't even know how this opinion is possible. I say that as someone who didn't even like Suicide Squad.

its problem was that it got pretty boring, not that it was an awful piece of shit.

plus i gotta give singer some credit for the audacity of making magneto destroy auschwitz lmao.

edit: and man of steel just aged poorly once i left the theaters. very terrible script. of course there's some great scenes in there but a few good moments cant make up for that scust-level dialogue. like all of superman's best bits are when he doesn't open his mouth haha.

really liked Zod though, and Jor El and Pa Kent. it's better than most mcu movies for me because of those good scenes and some of the characters (and of course the god tier soundtrack), but man they had the concept right but really could have used a co-writer.

Snyder really nails the look and presence of a absurdly powered character like Superman, but cavill needs some personality beyond just constant confusion and doubt now. I'll even take asshole dictator Superman tbh, just give me something

IconGrist

its problem was that it got pretty boring, not that it was an awful piece of shit.

plus i gotta give singer some credit for the audacity of making magneto destroy auschwitz lmao.

edit: and man of steel just aged poorly once i left the theaters. very terrible script. of course there's some great scenes in there but a few good moments cant make up for that scust-level dialogue. like all of superman's best bits are when he doesn't open his mouth haha.

really liked Zod though, and Jor El and Pa Kent. it's better than most mcu movies for me because of those good scenes and some of the characters (and of course the god tier soundtrack), but man they had the concept right but really could have used a co-writer.

Snyder really nails the look and presence of a absurdly powered character like Superman, but cavill needs some personality beyond just constant confusion and doubt now. I'll even take asshole dictator Superman tbh, just give me something

Different strokes, I guess. Boring is not even in the Top 10 of things I disliked about Apoc. I at least had some fun with the characters in SS even if the movie that surrounded them was bad. Only Quicksilver in Apoc brought any entertainment and it lasted about 2 minutes.

Apocalypse to me was a better Age of Ultron, and there are a number of similarities between them. Disappointing for Singer, but got a few good scenes.

Also, saw no less than eleven Harley Quinns tonight, one lazy Batman, a full costume Superman, two Spidermen, and oddly Robbie Amell and his wife.

guek

Banned
Apocalypse felt incredibly lazy to the point where it's painfully mediocre more than anything else. It feels like there's a better version of the movie that never got filmed. I can't say the same for Suicide Squad. Everything from the script to the acting to the effects and editing work is sub par. Fassbender and McAvoy in a mediocre movie are more entertaining to watch than any performance in Suicide Squad.

I don't think either are any good but while I felt bored by the end of Apocalypse, Suicide Squad left me much more annoyed over whole the experience.

a916

For all the crap Apocalypse (the character) got before release, he's light years more menacing than the trashbin that is the MCU Villains. The seen where he
doesn't even look back and has the sand decapitate people, or where he just has people melt into the floor.

SJRB

Gold Member
For all the crap Apocalypse (the character) got before release, he's light years more menacing than the trashbin that is the MCU Villains. The seen where he
doesn't even look back and has the sand decapitate people, or where he just has people melt into the floor.

That's because Apocalypse actually kills people. I'm struggling to think what a scrub like Ultron has actually done. Or eh.. uhm... who else we got? Who was the bad guy in Guardians again? I don't even remember.

MCU villains are terrible.

shingi70

Banned
I don't want to say this but people were in their avengers frenzy peak that year (remember Iron man 3 making 1B+?) suddenly DC and Nolan style storytelling was out of fashion. We're now moving away from that, slowly, I feel people would receive a mildly good DC movie just fine now, but that wasn't the time for that. MoS is a good movie.

Box office and GA seem to have accepted Sucidie Squad just fine, most who weren't critics actually seemed to like and enjoy it.

guek

Banned
Menacing? Nah. Not in that clown makeup.

That's because Apocalypse actually kills people. I'm struggling to think what a scrub like Ultron has actually done. Or eh.. uhm... who else we got? Who was the bad guy in Guardians again? I don't even remember.

MCU villains are terrible.

Lol both Ultron and Ronan killed people on screen.

Ultron was the WORST. Even worse than Ronan. Dude could be menacing, but would then immediately proceed to step on every single one of his moments. Like, "oooh, I just made a scary threat, now let's have me trip over my wording and bitch about that." It was galling.

jey_16

Banned

could not agree more....Clark's relationship with Jonathan made the film for me, i don't get why everyone was so down on how Pa Kent behaved? His concerns were legitimate, yes of course the tornado scene was stupid but apart from that, i saw nothing wrong with him

the emotional scenes in MoS really worked for me and thus setup the whole film....in comparison to BvS where they spent all that time setting up the conflict between Bats and Supes and it still seemed stupid and pointless

guek

Banned
I think whether or not you enjoy MoS comes down to whether or not you can get behind Clark as a character. Likeability is a big issue as is the way stuff kinda happens around Clark rather than Clark making things happen. He's a very dull character that isn't particularly fun to watch.

But let's not pretend like MoS didn't also garner a sizeable following. There are a lot of people who enjoy the heck out of it. A 55% RT is fairly reflective of how divisive it ended up being.

I'll still contend the reasons people don't like Superman is due to the fact he's viewed through the lens of the public of today. If someone like Superman showed up tomorrow in our world, it'd be the same bullshit you see in the movies.. but probably worse.

I like the take on the character. I don't want someone to show up on day one and just be everything everyone wants out of the character. There should be some development. Captain America works in the MCU because what he represents was best represented in that era he lived and he gets transported to today, so he gets to be everything everyone wants from the jump due to a technicality.

Ninjimbo

MoS is a fucking masterpiece and the greatest Superman movie ever made.

I love it so much.
Preach. Best origin movie that stands alongside Batman Begins.

My only problem with MoS is the dialogue since it's so dry, but it works for the grounded nature of Clark's character.

Bleepey

I'll still contend the reasons people don't like Superman is due to the fact he's viewed through the lens of the public of today. If someone like Superman showed up tomorrow in our world, it'd be the same bullshit you see in the movies.. but probably worse.

I like the take on the character. I don't want someone to show up on day one and just be everything everyone wants out of the character. There should be some development. Captain America works in the MCU because what he represents was best represented in that era he lived and he gets transported to today, so he gets to be everything everyone wants from the jump due to a technicality.

Very very very true. Listen to the debate between Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman, a huge Superman fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwYvoiR1Yc

Kevin Smith slapped down all of the common complaints people have with MoS.

R:Superman Killed!
K:Well he killed in Superman 2. Unlike in Superman 2, he was very upset about it

R: Why didn't he save anyone
K; he tried, but Zod swore death to Earth

R:: Lois realised Clark was Superman
K: It makes sense cos if an award winning reporter couldn't work it out, she she'd be a fucking idiot.

R: Johnathan Kent was a cynical asshole and coward
K: It's kinda realistic.He just wants whats best for his son and he at least practised what he preached

I'd also like to add that on a weird meta level Zac Snyder was right. I watched the last fight of MOS and 99% of all damage was due to Zod or the world engine. Like pretty much any damage attributed to Superman he damaged empty buildings or a field . He is frequently trying to take the damage away from populated areas and tries to save people when he can. Like the only time he did something serious was when his heat visions brought down a ship. You could do a frame by frame analysis of him saving people, show how almost all the damage attributed to Zod and despite this general audiences still blame Superman for damage he mostly had nothing to do with and did all in his power to take away from people. And yet audiences criticise Pa Kent for being cynical!

Dead

well not really...yet
Pa Kent's ideology is not only proven right in BvS but was proven right by real world reactions by a number of audience members to events in MoS.

Very very very true. Listen to the debate between Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman, a huge Superman fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwYvoiR1Yc

Kevin Smith slapped down all of the common complaints people have with MoS.

R:Superman Killed!
K:Well he killed in Superman 2. Unlike in Superman 2, he was very upset about it

R: Why didn't he save anyone
K; he tried, but Zod swore death to Earth

R:: Lois realised Clark was Superman
K: It makes sense cos if an award winning reporter couldn't work it out, she she'd be a fucking idiot.

R: Johnathan Kent was a cynical asshole and coward
K: It's kinda realistic.He just wants whats best for his son and he at least practised what he preached

I'd also like to add that on a weird meta level Zac Snyder was right. I watched the last fight of MOS and 99% of all damage was due to Zod or the world engine. Like pretty much any damage attributed to Superman he damaged empty buildings or a field . He is frequently trying to take the damage away from populated areas and tries to save people when he can. Like the only time he did something serious was when his heat visions brought down a ship. You could do a frame by frame analysis of him saving people, show how almost all the damage attributed to Zod and despite this general audiences still blame Superman for damage he mostly had nothing to do with and did all in his power to take away from people. And yet audiences criticise Pa Kent for being cynical!

Yup. Everyone says Superman destroyed the city, but he only touches what turns out to be a Wayne building, the building he's gets thrown through, the parking garage, and the satellite that hits a number of buildings.. all while engaged in hand to hand combat with someone genetically modified to be a soldier. People just want to be dumb about it for whatever reason.

The movie shines a light on how shitty we are as a society and how we wouldn't let someone like Superman exist because it'd be politicized and pontificated to death in the media. We're the problem, not Superman.

duckroll

Pa Kent's ideology is not only proven right in BvS but was proven right by real world reactions by a number of audience members to events in MoS.

I dunno that seems like taking an answer and working backwards to create an equation that justifies the answer. Sure, BvS proves the ideology "right" because the writers have the ability to do that. It's their story. That just means they're justifying something they wrote earlier. Not impressive? As far as audience members go, isn't the point that Pa Kent is supposed to be better than us? How can we look up to and respect a man when he sees us for the worst we are and not the best?

a916

Ma and Pa Kent give their son something more meaningful than "GO SAVE THE WURLD, IT'S UR DUTY" and instead give him "choice".

How is that not more powerful is beyond me...

I dunno that seems like taking an answer and working backwards to create an equation that justifies the answer. Sure, BvS proves the ideology "right" because the writers have the ability to do that. It's their story. That just means they're justifying something they wrote earlier. Not impressive? As far as audience members go, isn't the point that Pa Kent is supposed to be better than us? How can we look up to and respect a man when he sees us for the worst we are and not the best?

I suppose that ultimately, it comes down to the fact that we're not suppoed to look up to this Jonathan Kent. Different character, effectively.

I agree that him being proven right in a subsequent movie isn't that impressive because, like you said, it's self-fulfilling in a way, but what's impressive is that he's ultimately right on a meta level. People in the audience look to blame Clark for everything that goes wrong, ascribing him power even he doesn't have.

Odoul

The worst part of some of the criticisms levelled Man of Steel's way is how it negatively affected subsequent films.

BvS made destruction a point and kept pointing out how they were fighting in an empty area. As if villains cooperate to cause the least collateral damage.

Civil War fared a bit better, but Stark's change in attitude after 7 or 8 movies of "privatizing counter-terrorism" rang SOOOO hollow.

Age of Ultron though...That nonsense absolutely destroyed the climax of the movie.

And it seems noone learned from it.

BVS, people screech about darkness.

So Suicide Squad gets castrated.

Wonder Woman the talk changes from how dark and serious the story is to how light it is over one summer.

Justice League trailer and it's a bunch of unfunny jokes.

Azazzel

Come on now, let's not talk like MoS was trashed the same way that BvS was or Suicide Squad to a lesser extent. For me at least, it's still the most consistent movie out of all the DCEU and the critics seem to think that too.

IconGrist

Come on now, let's not talk like MoS was trashed the same way that BvS was or Suicide Squad to a lesser extent. For me at least, it's still the most consistent movie out of all the DCEU and the critics seem to think that too.

MoS still has a higher RT than BvS and SS combined lol. Pretty sad actually.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
BvS and SS gave me a greater appreciation for MoS.

Not enough to say I like it mind you but it improved its image for me nonetheless :p

The DCEU plan: make every movie worse, so people think better of the previous one!

Snyder you evil bastard.

Bleepey

Yup. Everyone says Superman destroyed the city, but he only touches what turns out to be a Wayne building, the building he's gets thrown through, the parking garage, and the satellite that hits a number of buildings.. all while engaged in hand to hand combat with someone genetically modified to be a soldier. People just want to be dumb about it for whatever reason.

The movie shines a light on how shitty we are as a society and how we wouldn't let someone like Superman exist because it'd be politicized and pontificated to death in the media. We're the problem, not Superman.

Yeah and then people take offence to WB saying BVS might be too smart for some people. I like everyone else had a visceral reaction to the carnage but after looking at the retrospectives by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mosanswers/videos?flow=grid&sort=p&view=0

and this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONza8T0cBZ4

and this guy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZeqQlmOPgs

I had a deep appreciation for both MOS and BVS. People shit on Zach Snyder for only being a "visual story teller" but I think there's a consistency in how he depicts the events in the film. The "plot holes" people have with his films are often explained in may subtle ways. Why did Superman not cover Zod's eyes, cos his heat vision hearts him, why did superman not catch the tank, because it would probably still blow up and earlier in the film he was winded for like 30 seconds when something explosive was thrown at him, why didn't they terraform Mars, cos it was shown they needed to build a planet with an atmosphere by the Kryptonian colonist video animation, etc etc. His films hold up to scrutiny and whilst there may be an odd plot hole here or there, the scripts to his films are nowhere near as patchy as people say.

I have no problem with people finding the movie boring there are some things you just don't like, I think Blade Runner is a great looking film and I appreciate it's impact on sci fi and cyberpunk but the movie does absolutely nothing for me. It bores me, funnily enough, I could watch documentaries about it all day.

Edit: I find it weird that people feel that because the character doubts himself, feels burdened over the fact he is worshiped, and has his own personal crises that it makes him unrelateable.

my problem with BvS is it turns into generic 3rd act capeshit, if the final fight was Batman and Supes beating the shit out of each other or having bats and WW taking down Lex it would've been better, but Doomsday is a fucking wasteman.

Man of Steel is one of my favorites now after watching BvS.

shingi70

Banned
my problem with BvS is it turns into generic 3rd act capeshit, if the final fight was Batman and Supes beating the shit out of each other or having bats and WW taking down Lex it would've been better, but Doomsday is a fucking wasteman.

You can't have a Batman superman story with out generic capeshit, any battle between the two has to take place in the middle to facilitate a climax where the two team up, or at least end up on good terms.

a916

That fight would've lasted about half a second.

Raptor

MoS is a fucking masterpiece and the greatest Superman movie ever made.

I love it so much.

kL3sVKEJ2f_1421670786701.jpg

Ashhong

Ah, nice to see the MoS love. I just happened to watch that scene with Superman in the interrogation room and thought it was really well done. I didn't remember the dialogue, but it was so different from BvS.

Anyway, about that Flash news....what a shame.

Raptor

Ah, nice to see the MoS love. I just happened to watch that scene with Superman in the interrogation room and thought it was really well done. I didn't remember the dialogue, but it was so different from BvS.

Anyway, about that Flash news....what a shame.

what news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom