• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Dressing as characters in a bad movie doesn't really mean people liked the movie. Just the characters. Or more specifically, their look.

kmfdmpig

I really get why Sucide Squad is so looked down apart at these places, I understand gaff because outside of PS4 and Marvel movies Gaf's tastes never align with that mainstream.

But man the way you guys talk in the DCEU thread as if it's some curse. Are you guys salty that's far and away the most liked of the three films, because all I saw was Sucide Squad cosplay this past Halloween and my local con (one of the bigger in the Midwest).

Like dude is up their complaining about character origins and how nothing is explained when Batman V Superman suffers from quite a few if the same problems. It's so weird beucase no one I know who saw the movie actually asked any of those questions and the only common complaint I saw was people not liking Leto Joker.

I'm with you. I don't get the hate for it. Was it what I hoped it would be? Not really, but I thought it was a fun/not very deep movie. I don't think it was the colossal mess people made it out to be. I'd put it over X-Men AoA, for example.

bryanee

Finally saw Squad. I enjoyed it. Pretty straight forward movie tbh. Boomerang and Quinn are great. Leto's Joker was fine and I love the look in the movie itself but man you can tell things were changed in regards to his relationship with Harley.

They tried to do what Assault on Arkham did with the character intro's at the start but boy did they cock it up.

a916

I really get why Sucide Squad is so looked down apart at these places, I understand gaff because outside of PS4 and Marvel movies Gaf's tastes never align with that mainstream.

But man the way you guys talk in the DCEU thread as if it's some curse. Are you guys salty that's far and away the most liked of the three films, because all I saw was Sucide Squad cosplay this past Halloween and my local con (one of the bigger in the Midwest).

Like dude is up their complaining about character origins and how nothing is explained when Batman V Superman suffers from quite a few if the same problems. It's so weird beucase no one I know who saw the movie actually asked any of those questions and the only common complaint I saw was people not liking Leto Joker.

It's the most poorly reviewed movie of all of them. It also happens to be the most recent. Unlike BvS UC edition, which greatly elevates the material, SS isn't a good movie.

I just don't think it's a good movie. I walked out of the theater feeling 100x better about BvS than I did SS. I knew there was 30 minutes waiting in the wings to smooth out most of my issues with the theatrical cut. SS didn't get that benefit, because the only footage talked about in the press cycle was the "OMGz deleted Joker footage worthy of an entire movie!" Sorry, but Heroin Joker wasn't saving that movie. It was just a mess.

shingi70

Banned
It's the most poorly reviewed movie of all of them. It also happens to be the most recent. Unlike BvS UC edition, which greatly elevates the material, SS isn't a good movie.

Yet if ask the average filmgoer they'd probably say it's the best of the three.

I thought reviewed didn't matter when BvS got savaged.

Ashhong

Yet if ask the average filmgoer they'd probably say it's the best of the three.

I thought reviewed didn't matter when BvS got savaged.

It's not just poorly reviewed, but it is fundamentally bad in many aspects. The average filmgoer likes it the most because it's the most fun out of them. But we here in this thread like a little more depth.

Are you specifically trying to antagonize the thread? Why are you asking about reviews for BvS?

Suicide Squad was a fun movie, enjoyable. it was never meant to be "deep"
you guys are being unfairly harsh and most people disagree with you. now let's go back to defending BvS, that's something worth defending.

SJRB

Gold Member

I dunno man, I went with 6 people going in fearing the worst based on reviews but in the end everyone liked it. Sure it's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it certainly isn't the complete dumpsterfire that some people claim.

I think more people are upset with the movie not living up to their expectations or the potential of a Suicide Squad movie, rather than judging the movie on its own merit. I guess.

J_Viper

I don't get the "but SS was fun" defense

The action is weak

It's not funny

The characters don't bounce off each other well due to the horrible writing

What exactly is fun about it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes, let's objectively quantify the concept of "fun".

2fMK7Qa.jpg

I dunno man, I went with 6 people going in fearing the worst based on reviews but in the end everyone liked it. Sure it's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it certainly isn't the complete dumpsterfire that some people claim.

I think more people are upset with the movie not living up to their expectations or the potential of a Suicide Squad movie, rather than judging the movie on its own merit. I guess.

This is definitely true for me; compared to the vision of SS I had in my head, the actual article was toothless and impressively poorly put together.

Odoul

Did anyone see the new Kong trailer?

Man of Steel and BvS weren't the only Warner movies to get savaged for taking themselves seriously.

Tarzan (which I have not seen) was knocked for being "too dark". Their upcoming Jungle Book is already getting hit with that label.

If what was presented in the 2nd King Kong trailer is a an accurate sample of the new kind of humor infused, crowd pleasing entertainment WB is gonna be serving up...

Well I just hope the first trailer is more indicative of the movie and the second is overcompensating.

Ross61

Man of Steel and BvS weren't the only Warner movies to get savaged for taking themselves seriously.

Tarzan (which I have not seen) was knocked for being "too dark". Their upcoming Jungle Book is already getting hit with that label.

If what was presented in the 2nd King Kong trailer is a an accurate sample of the new kind of humor infused, crowd pleasing entertainment WB is gonna be serving up...

Well I just hope the first trailer is more indicative of the movie and the second is overcompensating.

I think the first trailer was just a teaser of the tone. The second trailer goes in line with what the director has been saying he wanted it to be. That and it being a Universal production with WB only being distributors.

Platy

The sad thing about DC going dark is that their best IPs for it (like everyone in justice league dark) are nowhere to be seen on the movies

Watched it when it dropped last night and thought it leaned into the goofy too much. I watched it today and it didn't play as goofy. The dumbest parts are the explosions reflected in the glass near the beginning and John C Reilly talking about the name of the creatures. The other things don't play so goofy the second time around.

Kong trailer made me sad Larry Fong won't be back for Justice League. Supposedly there's a new trailer attached to that new Star Wars and i'm curious to see something more representative of the final film.

Platy

Also, my last tweet made me think about characters that would work on a darker setting ... and made me sad that going all dark means we will never have a Plastic Man movie =(

I rewatched some scenes from Suicide Squad and I found some interesting things in them. Can I post them here? Maybe there is a minor spoiler I could hide.

Post away. I think pretty much everyone here has seen it.

Alright, here we go.

As you can see on the image below, Captain Boomerang was arrested by the Flash. That means Flash is active before the events of the Suicide Squad and he's established as the Flash.

CJrDGmL.jpg

However, Barry's name and date of birth is unknown to Waller. I remember some posts over the internet about Flash's fingerless gloves and how he would leave fingerprints, but it seems that isn't the case. You can see his file in the image below.

HDtiRdU.jpg

On the other hand, Aquaman's real name and date of birth are known to Waller. Also, there is the word "ICELAND" written in a box of his file. Note that in Justice League trailer, when Bruce founds Arthur, everyone in the scene is heavily dressed and a shooting location of Justice League was Iceland (maybe I'm wrong, though). So, the Bruce and Arthur scene could be set in Iceland.

2l1Zqb5.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second... So they have freaking Aquaman's DOB, but don't have Flash's real name or DOB? How is that possible when you have a picture of the dude in your case file? I also hate it when movies and TV use character bio pics and they're just screen caps from a scene in the movie/tv show where it's impossible to have a camera recording them in their world. They should shoot real "spy" photos of the actors in other locations so they look legit when we see them on the screen.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why does Bruce even want those files from Waller anyway, just to see how much she has on the team I guess? Because there's no way in hell Waller actually has info that Bruce isn't able to aqcuire.

Ross61

Why does Bruce even want those files from Waller anyway, just to see how much she has on the team I guess? Because there's no way in hell Waller actually has info that Bruce isn't able to aqcuire.

Ehhhh, Bruce has went to her multiple times for information he couldn't readily recieve.

Ashhong

Wait a second... So they have freaking Aquaman's DOB, but don't have Flash's real name or DOB? How is that possible when you have a picture of the dude in your case file? I also hate it when movies and TV use character bio pics and they're just screen caps from a scene in the movie/tv show where it's impossible to have a camera recording them in their world. They should shoot real "spy" photos of the actors in other locations so they look legit when we see them on the screen.

It seems like Aquaman is a bit more open about his powers, just judging by the trailer. I mean the dude hangs around the area with no mask or anything. The birthdate is a little odd though.

Ross61

It seems like Aquaman is a bit more open about his powers, just judging by the trailer. I mean the dude hangs around the area with no mask or anything. The birthdate is a little odd though.
I think he's more of an open secret. I think as the comics portray, he really doesn't have a secret identity/double life. He's Aquaman/ Arthur Curry, King of Atlantis, 24/7.

Ashhong

I think he's more of an open secret. I think as the comics portray, he really doesn't have a secret identity/double life. He's Aquaman/ Arthur Curry, King of Atlantis, 24/7.

So everyone in the town just knows him? And they keep him secret since they respect him?

IconGrist

See this is what happens when DC allows Batgod to exist, lol.

guek

Banned

Anecdotally, none of my friends who saw SS were particularly hot on it. As weird as it sounds, my impression online and among friends is that MoS is the the most liked of the 3 DCEU films.

Isn't it more likely him being Shazam than GL?

I don't think so. I don't have the brightest outlook on Shazam. I still think the project being at New Line instead of WB proper is all you need to know about it. If people at WB proper wanted it, it'd be there with them (it might be now and we just don't know) and not a production company with all the DC stuff that is a wink and a nod connected to the JL stuff.

Unpopular opinion time! I really hope it's
Simon or Jessica

I want them to composite Hal and John into one interesting (black) character. Also, go super nuts with the constructs; I want a scene with a GL at the heart of a literal army of green glowing whatevers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom